Status: Complete. <3

Edge of Blackest Night

Remi

After an awkwardly silent dinner, Riley disappeared into Grandma’s room and Dad left in his squad car. He was covering the night shift for one of his deputies. I think his name was something Sinclair, something about a bad batch of fried chicken down at Opal’s Kitchen. Having done up the dishes and stored the left overs in the fridge, I sat down at the table and sighed.

It was time to face the harsh reality of my life. I pulled out my phone and pushed the side button. Sliding my thumb over the screen I found I had thirty-four unread texts, eleven missed calls, and three voice messages. Ten texts were from Stacy, twelve were from Bradley, and the rest were from my other friends asking me where I was and what happened between Bradley and I. The missed calls were from Stacey, Bradley and one unknown. Knowing I wouldn’t be able to handle the texts I eased them without looking. I almost eased all my voice messages but I decided against it.

I put my phone against my ear.

“Hello Ms. Bradshaw this is Mr. Carmichael. I recently bought painting of your and my wife admires it daily. I was hoping to commission you to draw a series of pictures for me as a 10th Anniversary gift to my wife. It would be much appreciated. My number is 510-443-7894. Give me a call any time before 8pm.”

A slight smile graced my lips. It’s been a while since I had a commission, which reminds me I need to check my emails. Before I could start mentally complaining about having to go to the internet café for service Stacey’s voice emitted from my phone. Not trusting myself to be able to hold the phone I put it on speaker and set it on the table.

“Remi, I know you think I’m calling to apologize, but I’m not. I was only your friend to get to Bradley. We were dating before you came from your backwater town. The only reason he proposed to you was because you were a wounded innocent little southern gal. As you saw he has quite the fetish for doing things dirty. Oh and by the way we’ve been fucking once a week since you two started dating. Oh one last thing…I knew you were there while he fucked me. Bet you didn’t know this but he likes it when he has an audience. Bye now.”

I would’ve like to say I kept it together and left all my emotions bottled up, but the stress from seeing them fucking burned into my brain, having Grandma on her death bed, and memories of mother everywhere…there was no space left for Stacey’s betrayal. Without warning I slammed my fists on the table and gritted my teeth. I wanted to rip her red hair out strain by damaged strain. Before I could think further Bradley’s voice began.

“Believe me when I say this, apple of my eye, I love you and I still want to marry you. This has never happened before. Stacey seduced me after spiking my drink. I never would have done that. I didn’t think I would get caught. No that’s not what I-”

I quickly slide my finger over the end button, and restrained myself from yelling at the top of my lungs. Who did he think he was? Telling me he loves me. His brown eyes were as clear as day as he fucked Stacey. Lying bastard.

I kicked my chair back, knocking it over. I rushed to the key rack and grabbed my keys. I needed to cool off. A drive to town with the windows down was just what I needed. The sun was just going down so the air would cool down a degree or two. It wasn’t much but it would still be a nice relief.

“Unbelievable, you show more emotion over the fact that your fiancé cheated on you. Yet you didn’t shed one tear for mom, the funeral, every Sunday. You didn’t shed one tear and you still haven’t.” Riley leaned against the table with her arms crossed and a glare that could’ve made a child cry.

“Don’t even go there. You stand there acting better than me. What did you do? You kept Dad up every night waiting for you to get home from staying out all night with your jock friends. He was worried sick about you. I come home and he would be passed out. By the time I would go to bed he would be waking up to kept vigil for you. Oh and I can’t forget how you just left without a word after graduation. Dad may not show it, but what you did almost killed him.” I crossed my arms and glared at her.

She was silent for a period. Her eyes darkened but she didn’t say anything. I rolled my eyes and yanked the door open. “At least I expressed myself. You just went back to your life like Mom never died. You’re an emotionless husk of a human being.” Riley let out a disgusted snort and turned to leave.

Everyone grieves in their own way, isn’t that what you told us. You’re a hypocrite.” I slammed the door as she whirled around with fire in her eyes. I didn’t want to hear her retort. I jumped in my car and floored it down the gravel driveway.

The night air rushed me and rattled my art supplies; it felt nice not being able to hear my own thoughts. The windows in my Jeep were rolled down as far as they could go as I flew down the road to town.
Image

The cyber café was called Up. It was the third place in Hayesville to be open twenty-four hours and it was a very populated place. While I waited for a free computer I called Mr. Carmichael back and agreed to his commission. It was to be a series of five pictures. Each picture was to depict a scene of normalcy, a dog crossing a street, lovers kissing up a street lamp, a grieving person. Anything would work, all he asked was that I put my heart into what I drew. I had three months.

I walked back into Up and snagged an empty computer and checked my emails. I had several notices from Eddy, my PR, stating which art piece had been sold and how much. To be honest I was a little flabbergasted. I was selling more than I would have if I didn’t hire Eddy. I scanned the last of his notices and snorted. He already wanted me to start working on my next show.

I ignored the emails from Bradley and sent Karen and email asking if she could head over to my apartment and box up my things and send it to my house. I spammed some junk mail and logged off my email and went to my bank accounts. My eye widened at the amount I had. Eddy had definitely been doing his job. No wonder he was eager for my next show.

I shut the computer off and left Up. I was pondering what supplies I could get now that I had a little extra money or maybe I could get a little place of my own or help Dad out a little. I was so lost in thought that I didn’t notice the teen running with her dog. The teen passed me and the dog barked, startling me. I stumbled over the dog and fell into a chicken wired fence.

“Hey!’ I shouted but the teen kept running. I caught a glimpse of red earbuds in her ears. I rolled my eyes and went to push off the fence and nearly screamed. I leaned towards the fence and sighed in relief. Once Dad had left I put on another pair of snake bits. These were a Celtic design with knots and crossing strains of metal. I dearly missed wearing them, but now I regretted my choice. It seemed the two metals had gotten twisted up.

I tried to untangle them but it was useless, if anything I made it worse. I sighed leaning my forehead against the wire. My bottom lip throbbed from attempts of freedom. It was quite sad that I was even in this situation considering that it seemed no one was out and about right now.

I tried to fish my phone from my pocket to only have it fall. As I groaned, I inwardly laughed. Wouldn’t it be funny if Dad was the one to find me like this considering I hadn’t shown his any of my piercing. It was a good thing his sight wasn’t as good as it used to be.

“Hey neighbor, it looks like you could use a little help.” I looked and smiled or tried to until I grimaced from the tugging. Robert stood before me with amusement sparkling in dark brown eyes. I nodded my head slightly, as he began digging in his tool belt for some wire cutters. He brushed back his unruly sandy hair and grabbed his cutters.

As he approached I noticed he had a light dusting of freckles on his cheeks and one dimple. He snickered at me. Apparently he noticed me staring. I looked down hoping to hide my blush. “Thanks,” I murmured.

“No problem.” I jerked slightly as he tilted my chin up. “Oh sorry.” He held his hands up defensively. “I need you looking up so I don’t cut your lip.” He scissored the cutters to emphasis his case.

“Oh.” I looked up and became speechless as he held my chin gently. With great dexterity, he cut the wire away. I didn’t even notice that he finished. I was too lost in his warm touch.

“Remi you okay?” I quickly straightened as my senses came back. Then the flood of Bradley memories came rushing back, which made me back way from Robert. He gave me a quizzical look.

“Yeah fine. I just blanked for a second.” I smiled reassuringly. He nodded with a smile. We both stood there in an awkward silence. “So…thanks.”

“Yeah no problem. I’ll see you around.” I nodded and smiled. He was really cute. “Maybe, I don’t know, would you like to get dinner?” He smiled with eyes full of hope.

“Umm…how about lunch instead?” His eyes dimmed. “Well, I barley know you.” I teased. He smiled as he caught my drift.

“Okay lunch tomorrow at my place.” I nodded. He gave one last smile and walked away. I watched him disappear and giggled. He seemed so different from Bradley. It felt weird being back on the market but it was the fastest way to forget Bradley.