Status: Complete. <3

Edge of Blackest Night

Remi

I stood in the entrance to the house, leaning against the door frame watching the chaos unfold in front of me. As soon as Riley had walked through the back door with blood dripping down her calf and lacerations on her face and arms, Dad quickly called the local medic and his deputy’s. Four squad cars lined our driveway with their lights still flashing. Riley was being treated by the medic’s and kept refusing to go to the hospital, she didn’t seemed phased at all by her wounds or the fact that she found Lucy Turner, the missing girl from Black Marsh, on the border of our property.

Fearing a conflict of interest with Dad being Sheriff, Rawlins was asked to step in and get Riley’s statement and take her downtown. She kept arguing with Rawlin but she didn’t put up to much of a fight but who would, Rawlin never did wrong by anyone and was sweet as chocolate pudding. After a few minutes Riley agreed and got in the squad car, but instead of the backseat she got in the front seat.

Without a word Dad got in his squad car and followed Rawlin. It was sort of weird; it was like all the other deputies got a signal. The next second the rest of the deputies filed out of the house and left in their squad cars, all but one.

“R-remi, I am to stay here in case anyone suspicious comes sniffing.” I turned around not really looking at the deputy Dad left behind. I was glad he was there, but I was sort of numb to my surroundings. Why would somebody do something like that? What sick fuck would wrap ribbons and barbwire around her wrists and neck?

“Thanks,” I said off handily. I tried to brush by him but he was like a brick wall. I bounced off of him and staggered back. “Sorry.” I finally looked up and smile widely. “Joshy-boy!” I leaned up on my toes and tapped his nose. “Where are your glasses?” I smirked.

He blushed, making his freckles stand out more. “Laser Eye surgery. It was a requirement to become a deputy.” His blush slightly lessened. He straightened his shoulders and smiled. Suddenly I became aware of how much taller he was than me.

In high school he was just barely taller than me. His height reflected his stature at the time. He was shy and always nervous with sweaty palms. Now he was a more intimidating figure, but he still blushed like a school girl.

“Hey why did you become a cop? Weren’t you valedictorian or something? I mean the jocks gave you swirlies every day because of you making the grading curve so strict.” I teased, poking him in the chest. His blush disappeared and a slight frown crested his face.

“Thanks for the remainder. High school wasn’t all that great, but you understand where I came from. You were as much as an outcast as I was,” he shot back. Then his eyes widened as he realized what he just said. I gasped in surprise at his outburst. His cheeks blazed crimson shame.

“I guess I deserved that.” I winced at the sound of my own voice. I looked away feeling ashamed of what I said. Joshua nodded his head in agreement. Awkward silence descended over us as we both shifted uncomfortable.

“Well,” Joshua rubbed his neck, “if you need anything just give a holler.” I drew my eye away from the window and looked at Joshua. I really regretted what I said. Even in high school I was much nicer than this. I remember once telling Riley to get the jocks off of Joshua’s back, after that he no longer got swirlies but he was still shoved around. It was the only thing I asked of my sister after Mom died that she actually listened to.

With further to do we went our separate ways. Joshua took up position by the window giving me one last glance before focusing on the driveway. The stairs creaked as I climbed them to my room. For days I’ve been sketching. Each one was thrown out the window. All of them seemed posed, nothing was natural. Unfortunately, I knew Mr. Carmichael wasn’t going to accept any of them.

My sketch book sat on my deck begging to be used, but as I reached for it my hand fell short. My mind was deciding to be overactive. I didn’t even see the body, but the images that came to mind made me tremble. Her white dress torn soaked in blood, her body wrapped in rusted wicked barbwire. The worst part was imaging her running through the grasslands, her feet bruised and bloody.

The silence started grating on my nerves along with my wondering thoughts. I was stressing out. What if the killer was still out there, just waiting? Images of me running through the dark, a dark figure chasing me flashed through my head. I planted my hands on my desk as more images slide through my mind, my breathing starting to pick up as panic spread.

Feed up with my depressed thoughts I grabbed my sketch book and my pencils. I headed down the hallway, observing as much as I could take in. Inspiration. Motivation. I need a little of both.

“Remi, I can hear your mind grating away from in here. Stop thinking and come in here for a spell.” I stopped mid step and carded my hand through my hair. “Honey bee get you butt in here.” Dragging in a deep breath I went into her room and flung myself into the armchair against the wall.

The midmorning sun bathed Grandma in golden light making her look young and healthier than she was. She rolled back her flowered comforter and leaned her head towards me. She stared at me with a knowing smile. She knew I wasn’t like Riley.

I wouldn’t tell Riley to her face, but she was stronger than me and more in touch with reality than I was. She knew how to keep her emotions in check, but she still had emotions. Just from the time since she’s been back I’ve noticed her reaction to situations have matured and she’s been able to express herself. It made me depressed that I wasn’t in touch with my emotions. At times I didn’t know how to respond and just tended to stand there silently and nod in agreement.

“I’m glad it wasn’t you.”

“What?” I asked hurt and confused.

“I didn’t want to lose you to. I lost Riley once. I knew I wouldn’t be able to last if you coiled in on yourself again. You barely handled it last time.” She smiled, but I could see the concern in her eyes. My shoulders slumped and I let my head fell back against the chair.

“I know. I got help. I’m better now.” A comfortable lull settled between us. The sun fell across the bed and my legs; it was pleasant. Slowly Grandma eyes got heavy and started to droop.

“You three are all I got. The last of my family. I don’t want to leave this world knowing things are unresolved.” I pursed my lips and watched as Grandma started to nod off and soft snores escaped her, adding to the homely scene.

I smiled to myself and flipped open my sketch book to a clean page. I found my inspiration. Everybody needed a piece of peace.

Image

“You did great Riley.” I poked my head out of the kitchen just in time to see Riley roll her eyes at Dad’s comment. Riley limped out of the doorway sporting a crutch, and butterfly stripes over her lacerations. Each laceration was made more noticeable by the dark purple bruises surrounding it. She looked like she got the stuffing beat out of her.

“I got shepherd’s pie and okra on the table and some homemade blackberry pie.” My cheerful voice made Riley scowl and Dad smile. He shut the door and hung up his jacket. His eyes had dark circles under them and if possible his hair looked slightly grayer.

“Sounds great. Let’s eat and have a nice dinner.”

“I’ll pass.” Riley went to hobble up the stairs but Dad stopped her with his hand on his shoulder.

“You haven’t eaten all. And you know how I know, cause neither have I. now come eat.” Riley rolled her eyes but let Dad guide her to the table.

“Where’s Grandma?” Riley asked taking a seat, wincing slightly as she bumped her calf. I bit my lip sucking on my clear snake bites and took a seat.

“She’s upstairs in bed. She decided to eat early. She’s been feeling more tried lately.” Suddenly the mood shifted. We all knew what it meant that Grandma was feeling more and more tried. The cancer was spreading.

In the doom and gloom mood, we dished out the food. The silence was oppressive, but we were each working through our internal emotions. Dad piled the food on his and Riley’s plate and dug in, while Riley just played with her food.

“So did everything go well?” I asked, nibbling on my food. The silence was unbearable, any conversation would be welcomed.

“Questioned and interviewed nonstop.” Riley took and a spoonful of shepherd’s pie and mumbled in appreciation. “Then we hung around for the results from the medical examiner.”

“Riley, not at the dinner table,” Dad scolded. Riley just huff in return.

“So care to explain what’s going on I feel sort of left out?” I pleaded with my eyes.

“The less you know the be-”

“Oh come on Dad. Lucy was found on our land. Remi deserves to know.” Dad glared at Riley, but all she did was shrug.

“So?” I gestured for her to continue.

“Well Black Marsh is on high alert looking for the killer. They are thinking that since he dumped her here that he may be a budding Serial Killer. Since the medical examiner results reported that the barbwire was wrapped around Lucy was ante mortem, the killer had her wearing the barbwire long enough that the gouges started to heal developing scar tissue. The worst part-”

“Riley that is enough!” Dad shouted sternly. Riley shook her head and pushed her plate forward.

“Fine. Thanks for dinner Remi.” I nodded my head and started to get up to help Riley but she gestured for me to stop. I really felt the need to help her to tell her thanks you for being the strong one but couldn’t. I just couldn’t do it; the words wouldn’t spill from my lips. But I promised myself I would tell her.

Image

I sat on the porch, leaning against the support beam. The night air was refreshing. Every time I closed my eyes my mind went wondering back to the girl. I only slept for an hour and woke up sweating believing I was the one running for my life.

I sighed trying to stay relaxed. The trembling in my hand slowly started to settle, but my beating heart kept up the quick tempo. The porch light was bright enough that I could sketch the night life around me. Drawing seemed to keep my mind occupied and kept the bloody images away.

“Remi, apple of my eye.” My hand stilled and I tensed. Slowly I looked up. Bradley stood there with his dirty blond hair gelled back. His hands were held out in a welcoming gesture. In each hand he held a bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolates. “I love-”

Before he could finish I grabbed one of our potted plants and chucked it at him.