Status: This is the Mutt Rewrite. Chapters are up as I get them up.

Invictus

Prologue

Sue sat at the table with Emily as they all came in from the forest. Brynlee, Yana’s baby girl, was sitting in Sue’s lap with her stuffed wolf in her mouth. “Dwa!” she hollered.

The conversation Yana and Sue had been having, ceased when they heard the door open. Each of the women felt sick. Sue trembled as she pulled Brynlee closer to her.

Emily got up so quickly, her chair tipped backwards. Sue jumped. Brynlee made a sound like a duck.

“What’s wrong, Emily, you look like you just saw a ghost,” Sam chuckled picking up his wife’s chair.
Emily swallowed before going over to the stove to pull out two casseroles from the oven.

“Should we tell them?” Sue asked nervously.

Emily’s eyes were brimming with tears. She used the back of her hand to wipe her eyes, trying to hide the tears. Sam automatically stepped up, ready to kill whoever was making her cry. Emily relaxed as Sam put his arm around her.

Paul’s curiosity peaked. He leaned back in his chair, arms crossed over his bare chest. He glanced around the room, his gaze landing on Sam and Emily. He watched, ready to puke, as Sam tried to comfort her. His stomach twisted with disgust, glad he would never have an imprint.

Sue sighed. “You’re going to find out sooner or later,” she kissed the back of Brynlee’s head. Paul raised an eyebrow. He didn’t care what it was, he wished she would hurry up so he could go home and sleep. He yawned loudly, earning a glare and a swift kick in the shin from Leah. “Yana’s going on a…” she paused looking for the right words. She couldn’t come out and say it, that was for Adie. “Yana’s going to India,” she said slowly.

Sam looked confused. “What’s in India?” Paul could see the cogs turning, trying to figure out how what was in India had anything to do with Emily crying.

Everyone watched Sue swallow a lump. Somewhere along the way, Jacob, Seth, Leah, Quil, and Embry had started whispering animatedly. “Adie?” Embry asked, cheeks pink, with a large grin on his face.

“Yes, Adie’s in India,” Sue explained.

“Is she coming to visit?” Seth asked clapping his hands together excitedly.

Sue shook her head. Seth’s eyebrows furrowed together. Paul yawned, getting to his feet.

“She might be coming to stay,” Sue finished.

As Paul walked out the door, Paul caught a few “Alrights” of pure excitment. Paul shook his head. “Idiots, fucking idiots,” he muttered to himself.

As he was leaving, he caught Jared and Kim making out. He made a gagging sound, making the pair jump apart. As he clomped down the steps to the forest, he really was glad he didn’t have one of those. He only had himself, and that was enough.

~*~

A young girl stared outside the passenger window, trying to take in all the green. She did her best to keep from sighing, as she looked at the vast differences from home. She felt like her heart had been beating so quickly, since she gotten on the plane with her aunt. She wasn’t sure how much time she had lost, but it sure felt like eons. Her body wasn’t adjusted to the time zone change. The clock on the car’s dashboard read 6:24. She was ready for bed. She did her best not to sigh again, instead sinking even further into the squishy seat of the car.

Adhita pretended not to see the worried glances her aunt gave her. Her stomach felt like it was in knots.

“Everyone’s excited to see you tomorrow,” Yana tried again. Yana had been trying to get her niece to talk since she had gotten to the hospital. All her attempts had yet to succeed. Yana wasn’t sure at what point Adie had become so quiet. The doctor had told Yana it was perfectly normal if she didn’t speak much. “Emily’s preparing a big feast,” Yana chuckled. “It’ll be like Thanksgiving!” Adie turned away from the window and gave her a confused look. “Sorry, I’d forgotten you’ve never celebrated…” she trailed off.

Adhita felt something cold press against her neck. She turned to scratch her funny looking dog’s head.

Yana watched as her niece absentmindedly ran her hand over the dog’s head. A look of defeat washed over Adie’s features.

Adie turned to look out the window. I want to go home, she thought to herself. She was grateful that Yana was willing to take her in, but she wished she could go home. She closed her eyes tightly, and things gave way to the little house. She was sitting in the living room, at ease with its dark floorboards and creamed colored walls. She could hear her ‘mother’ in the kitchen, a pot being banged on the stove. She could hear the delighted squeals of Jheet’s younger sisters in the other room.

“Adie,” her mother called. Adhita’s eyebrows furrowed together, Mother never called her Adie, only Adhita. “Adie,” someone said again.

Adhita forced her eyes open, wishing she was back in the comforts of her own home. Yana was sitting at a stoplight. Yana could see sorrow in Adie’s large brown eyes. “We’re nearly there,” she explained.

Adie nodded as they turned up a dirt road. She tried to ignore a small house, with a woman sitting on the front porch. The last of the day’s rays, were just starting to peak over the horizon. It was another ten minutes, another mile, until the stopped in front of another house. Adhita perked up, she wanted to see the outside, but it was too dark. She couldn’t make out the color. I suppose seeing house gives you something to look forward to tomorrow, a small voice whispered.

Yana stopped the car in front of the door. Adhita slid out of the car, her legs felt like jelly. Her heart felt like a million pounds of lead. A cool breeze brushed against Adhita’s body, making her shiver. She pushed her arm through the sleeve of her new pea coat. She wrapped the other part securely around her shoulder. She felt slightly warm, as she went to the backseat to get a squirming Piper out of the car.

Yana went to the back of her large black SUV, producing a single suitcase. Yana looked at Adhita with sympathy, like she was supposed to have more possessions. Back in India, Mother had helped Adhita pack her things quickly and skillfully, so everything Adhita owned, from actual items to clothing, fit in into the suitcase. It was heavy to say the least, but it was effective.

Yana carried the suitcase up the steps onto the porch. She sat it down with a loud thump and a groan. “I forgot how heavy this thing was,” Yana tried to laugh. Adhita stared blankly at the white front door, her dog at her feet. “Alright then,” Yana sighed opening the door.

Adhita ignored everything. She didn’t feel like taking in anything. Her heart felt heavy and body even more so. “Your grandfather is probably is out with his buddies. Emily probably has Brynlee, would you like to come with me and see everyone?” Yana asked kindly.

Adhita shook her head, her sloppy braid brushing against her back. Yana nodded. “I thought you might want to settle in.” Yana heaved the suitcase up and motioned for them to go up the stairs. They climbed until they got to a door. Yana pushed through the door, and with another thud, the suitcase found a new home on the dark wooden floor.

Adhita looked around the room in awe. The walls were a pale lilac, the trim a snowy white that reminded her of the hospital. There was a large bed in the center of the wall, just as you came in the room. It had a puffy lilac, snowy white, and aqua broad stripped bedspread. There was a trunk at the foot of the bed, the same color as the floor. Several white lined windows lined the walsl, overlooking the backyard and into the forest. A desk stood against one of the windows. The back part of the room had been elevated, with three tiny steps leading the way. The elevated part had a dark brown railing separating the drop. There was a large bookshelf lined with several volumes of old books. There was no empty space between any of them. There was a poufy white chair with a lilac afghan next to a bookshelf. On the other wall, was a table with an Ipod dock station and a white loveseat next to it. On the wall where the main door was, were two other doors on either side of a fire place. One door lead to a bathroom and the other a small closet with lots of storage.

Yana showed her where the towels were in the bathroom. She showed her how to work the radiator. “Welp, that’s it,” Yana said looking wearily around the room. Her eyes lingered on Piper in the corner of the bottom part of the room.

Adhita smiled at her dog, pleased that there was something normal in her life. Her gaze lingered on the sun, finally, disappearing from view. Yana looked at the clock on the small bedside table, 6:57.

“Well, I need to go get Brynlee. There’s food in the kitchen if you get hungry. Call if you need anything,” she grinned giving Adhita one last hug. “We’re all glad that you’re home.” With that she left.

Adhita didn’t move until she heard the rumble of the car. She pulled the suitcase over to the trunk. Somehow, she managed to lift it up. Adhita panted for a moment before opening it. She pulled clothing out of the pajama section. She took a shower, savoring the scent of her milk and honey soap, as opposed to the lingering scent of airplane.

It was seven-twenty, when she turned the lights out and crawled into bed. Finally, she let tears that she’d been holding back fall. Piper jumped up onto the bed, laying her head on Adhita’s stomach. Jheet and Adhita had joked about having a bigger room, but she would gladly give up the large space, if it meant she could go home. Adhita drifted to sleep at seven-thirty, comforted with thoughts of home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello! So here's the rewrite. Please tell me what you think. I'm really excited about the story line. I feel like it's a lot better than Mutt. I really hope you guys like this story and lives up to your expectations. Thank you so much for subscribing, nine subscribers, I'm super psyched! Thank you so much to xiheartwolves and ChelsiiMorticia for recommending!

Reminder, there are two more days until I take Mutt down.