My Living Nightmare

Chapter 10

I made it to my bed before collapsing again. I had closed and locked both my bedroom door and the bathroom.

I rolled onto the middle of the bed and grabbed a pillow, holding it so tight my knuckles turned white.
It wasn’t fair. My life was a mess, what with the marriage thing and Sean’s bipolar-ness. On top of all that my head hurt like someone hit it with a mallet and my stomach cramped like hell.

Ergh, I could hardly think.

I thought you were better than this, Alex.

Go away.

Since when do you, Alexandria Saunders, lay on a bed feeling sorry for yourself?

I am not feel- wait, that’s exactly what I was doing. I was feeling sorry for myself. And it disgusted me.

Ever since I had found out about this marriage (Can you believe it was only yesterday?) I had been moping around, feeling sorry for myself, wasting valuable time that I could been using to find that loophole.

As I dozed off into a restless sleep I had a goal; I would find that loophole.

“Well, sometimes I go out by myself and I look across the water, and I think of all the things that you’re doing and in my head I paint a pict-”

Why won’t it shut up?!

It was three in the afternoon, and I had finally managed to get some proper (much needed) shut eye when my phone started ringing. And it kept ringing; over and over and over again.

The headache had at last ceased to exist and the cramping had faded into a (bearable) dull ache.
But I was tired, both from being woken up a ridiculous hour and all the stress I had been under.

“-ure, since I-”

“What?” I growled into the phone.

“Well aren’t you a little ray of sunshine?” It was Sapphire, of course. Only she would have the guts to wake me up by being all persistent and Sapphire-like. Then again, she didn’t know I was asleep.

“Sorry, I fell asleep.”

“It’s okay; we all know how cranky you get when your sleep gets interrupted.”

“I do not get cranky!”

I heard her snort on the other line.

“That’s not very ladylike, Saph.”

“I never said I was a lady. So…is he cute?”

Huh?

“Is who cute?”

“The guy you’re supposed to be marrying,” she said.

Oh, Sean.

“No,” I said too quickly.

“Alex…”

“Yeah, Saph?” I asked innocently.

“Saunders!”

“Ergh, fine… he’s hotter than Tom Welling, Robert Pattinson and Brendon Urie combined.”

“Alex?” she started sweetly.

“What, Sapphire?”

“Can I come over? Pretty please? Pretty, pretty please?”

“Sapphire I’m not your mother, and that angelic voice doesn’t work on me.”

“But Lexie-”

“No buts, Saph, not now. Too much is going on right now. Give it a day or two. Anyway, how’s Nick? Your mother said he was coming down from New York during the last two weeks of summer.”

“He’s fine, he got here yesterday. That’s why I wasn’t with you and the gang at the trails yesterday morning. Craig and he have been bickering a lot though; it’s annoying. They argue over the silliest stuff; like who sits where at the table or what to watch on TV, or even what to put on the toast for breakfast! Other than that it’s- hey! You changed the subject!”

“Took you long enough… no, I’m just joking. I really wanted to know. It’s been like? Three years? Ever since he took that job at Nielson & Meyer I’ve almost never seen him. He’s probably forgotten who I am.”

“Yeah, right. Nicholas would never be able to forget his partner in crime. I mean, the things the two of you got up to… remember when you two glued Craig to his chair at dinner when he stole your black book on the day before you had to grade and lost it?”

Good times, good, good times…

“Yeah, if it weren’t for Breezy I would have had to skip a grading. Who would’ve known your cat loved all things black. Your black sweater, your black pillow that just disappeared one day, even your dad’s cell phone charger.”

“I don’t know how you could even think my brother could forget you… You’re practically part of the family! I’d trade Craig for you any day.”

Now it was my turn to snort.

“We both know that you guys are too close for that to ever happen.”

“Not really; he’s a pain.”

“He’s is your brother; it’s only to be expected. Remember how he dealt with Damien? He interrogated the boy so bad he never even asked you for a second date.”

“Yeah, well, he’s lucky I didn’t like Damien… Crap, look at the time! My mom’s so going to kill me when she sees the phone bill.”

“One wedding and a funeral!” I started laughing like a mad woman.

“Oh sure, now she finds it funny. And isn’t that a movie or something?”

“Yeah, but I think it was four weddings, or something like that. Anyway, I thought you had to go?”

“Oh, right. So we’ll talk later, ‘k?”

“Yip, bye mon ami,” I said.

“Bye!”

I pressed the end call button and looked at the time. It was almost four thirty. I laughed silently; she was right, when her mother sees the account she was dead.