My Living Nightmare

Chapter 16

“Hey Saph, can you come over?”

It was Saturday morning, and I was bored. Phillip was at the office, on a Saturday. Warning, warning, work-a-holic alert. Tory had gone off with her mother grocery shopping, and while they had invited me I had to refuse. Grocery shopping wasn’t exactly high on my list of Fun Things To Do. Jamie had a school project to work on; something about architecture, which was due on the first day of school. He had left early this morning to meet his friends and do research. Sean was… Oh, who really gave a crap? He was somewhere in the house, doing something. So where did it leave me? Ah yes, bored.

“Yes! Finally!” I could practically hear her jumping up and through the phone.

“Tune it down, Parkerperson, it’s just a visit,” I said.

“Don’t call me that!”

“Okay, Parkerperson,” I heard her groan through the line. “Do me a favor? Stop by my house and drive the DB9 over here; I’ll drop you at home.”

“Fine, but you owe me.”

“What kind of a friend are you?”

“A tall one,” she said wickedly.

“I am not small.”

“Whatever helps you get out of bed, baby,” she said, ribbing me playfully.

“Okay, let’s get one thing clear, for the umpteenth time, I am not a baby; I am older than you! By three whole months!”

“Whatever babe, see you in an hour. Love you.”

“Hate you too,” I said. It was our custom goodbye.

“Bye babe.”

Five minutes later I got a text.

You idiot! You didn’t even give me the address.
What am I supposed to do, sniff the place out?
Some people! Sapphire.

I was wondering when she was going to notice. Quickly, I replied.

You took your time to notice. It’s 235 Moonfleet Drive. It’s the last one on the right.
Be careful with my car; you hurt it and you’re dead.
Lol, see ya.

“Now to the bathroom, but first, clothes,” I said to no one.

It was a scorching hot day outside so I laid out a pale blue skirt and white T-shirt. I also took out a pair of white pumps and a denim jacket.

“Do you know how long your driveway is? It took up most of the drive!” Sapphire exaggerated as I opened up the front door.

“Do you know if there was a Miss Nonsense Talker contest you would win every year, without even running,” I said in the same tone.

She shook her thick dark brown hair out of her face and widened her doe eyes. Something I have always been jealous of was her beautiful brown eyes.

“Thank you, thank you. I would like to thank my best friend Alexandria, for helping me achieve this goal. Without her boring conversation and “funny” jokes I would never have gotten this far,” she said, pretending to accept her award.

“Oh, shut up, dummy,” I said, laughing.

“You talking to yourself?” she asked in mock seriousness.

“No.”

“’Coz it sounds like you are.”

“Maybe you should go for an ear check-up.”

“Does it look like I’m smiling?” she said, trying to keep a straight face.

“Yes,” I said.

She laughed, admitting defeat.

“Here are your keys. Your car is in one piece,” she said, handing over my car keys.

“Thanks. Close the door behind you. C’mon, I’ll show you my bedroom.”

I led her up the stairs.

“So, where is he?”

We were lying on my bed, listening to Sapphire’s playlist on my stereo. She said I don’t have good taste in music, which I did.

“Where is who?” I asked her.

“Your husband-to-be.”

“Somewhere around the house,” I answered reluctantly.

“So let’s go look for him.”

“Not now. Later, lunch for the latest, okay?” I replied.

I didn’t really want to introduce her to Sean.

“Fine… It’s the eye of the tiger, it’s the thrill of the fight…” she sang. She was a good singer.

“Rising up to the challenge of our rival…” I joined in.

My head was resting on her stomach. It wouldn’t have been if she hadn’t had decided to lie across the pillows. It was fine, but for the rising and falling every time she inhaled.

“Saph, stop breathing!” I finally yelled. It was so ridiculous that she burst out laughing.

“You’re an idiot!” she breathed.

“So are you,” I laughed with her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second update for the morning!