My Living Nightmare

Chapter 18

“So, do you guys want a sandwich? I could make you,” Sean offered, completely out of the blue.

“Sure, thanks,” Sapphire answered, while inside my mind I was screaming at her that it might be poisoned.

I may have sounded paranoid, but with Sean you never knew…

“So you go to Bridgewood? My cousin goes there, Matthew Parker,” Sapphire went on, making conversation.

“Matt Parker? Wow, he’s my older brother Jamie’s best friend,” Sean replied, taking out two more plates.

“Really? Wow, small world…” she trailed off.

And that’s when I tuned out mentally. I got two apples out of fruit bowl and washed it under the tap. I took a small chopping board out of one of the lower cupboards (Tory had given me the general layout of the kitchen utensils) and a knife out of the drawer.

What was with this guy? I sliced the apple in half. He started off as a jerk, and then he apologized and became a gentleman. Then after the bathroom episode he became that jerk again. I sliced the halves into half. That is, until I got sick; then he was Mr. Worried. Yesterday and the past few days he had been a cocky idiot, and now he was offering to make us lunch. Now, was it just me, or wasn’t that the very definition of bipolar? I sliced-

“Ouch!” I shouted as I dropped the knife. It clattered to the floor with a clang.

The knife had slipped, cutting my finger. It wasn’t deep, but it bled freely.

“Run it under the tap, Alex,” Saph said, picking up the knife.

“It’s the kitchen sink Saph; do you know how unhygienic that is?” I said, holding my hand away from my clothes.

“Just do it! God, you’re really obstinate, Alexandria. It’s a sink, it can be disinfected,” she said, sounding peeved.

“Fine, fine,” I said, holding my right hand under the water. An annoyed Sapphire Parker is not someone to mess with, especially when she’s holding a knife that already has small traces of your blood.

“Oww, dammit! It freaking burns,” I said. Or yelled; whichever you want to go with.

“Here, let me see,” said the voice of the devil. And if you don’t know who that is by now, I pity you.

“No, its fine,” I said, backing away from Sean.

“Alexandria…” Sapphire warned.

Oh, c’mon, can’t I get a break?

“It’s fine Saph, just a small cut. Nothing to worry about,” I said, trying to be smooth enough for her to believe me.

“I swear, if you do not let him take a look at your hand I will go outside and scratch the paint on your car.”

I narrowed my eyes at her.

“You wouldn’t,” I said.

“Wouldn’t I?”

Crap, she totally would.

“Some best friend,” I muttered as Sean stepped forward, a paper towel in one hand and a Winnie the Pooh plaster in the other.

That reminded me of the Grim Reaper, with that thingy in his hand, whatever that thingy was called.
By the way, where did the plaster come from?

If you paid attention you would know.

He looked at the cut before gently dabbing at it with the paper towel, drying the area before putting on the plaster. He looked at me almost tenderly for a second, before taking the off cuts from the plaster and the paper towel and throwing it in the bin by the kitchen door.

“Thanks,” I said, confused.

Again with the thanking of people; seriously, it’s like I thank people all of the time.

Out of all the things about him that confused me, he’s eyes were what did it the most. The way they flared up when he was angry, to the way he stared at me sometimes. It was unnerving, not knowing what he was thinking.

You know how they say people’s eyes are the windows into their soul? Well, his were reinforced steel vaults to the chamber of his core, and I guess mine were too.

Okay, god, I was so darn confused. And I didn’t even get to eat my apple… Life is so unfair.

“Where did that thing go? And why are they just standing around? They should be running away; far away. It’s almost as if they’re waiting for it to catch them,” I whispered, my arms wrapped around my legs tightly and my chin on my knees.

“Does she always talk so much during movies?” Sean asked Sapphire as if I wasn’t even there. Which I didn’t really mind, seeing as I was a bit preoccupied being scared beyond comparison.

We were sitting on the floor of Sean’s room, watching a scary movie which name eluded me. I don’t even know how they talked me into it, and don’t even know why I was actually having semi-pleasant conversations with Sean, but I was. When I wasn’t scared to death, that is.

I had a feeling that the safety of my car was a major contributing factor in both matters.

“Yeah, she tends to talk a lot and extremely fast when she gets scared or nervous. And when I say fast, I mean faster than that car of hers can go, and that’s really saying something.”

“Parker, turn the sound off, the music’s creeping me out. Wait, what’s- aah!” I jumped.

Sean and Saph burst out into hysterical laughter, but once again I was occupied, this time screaming bloody murder.
♠ ♠ ♠
What's the verdict?