My Living Nightmare

Chapter 22

“I’m going to get some sodas, do you guys want anything?” Sean asked, rising from the sofa.

“I’ll have a Diet Coke,” Tory said.

“Me too,” Saph replied.

“Me three,” I answered.

We were lying all over in the lounge, waiting for Skylar and the guys to arrive.

“I’ll help,” Matt offered, following him out.

I was bored to death. The guys were taking forever to get here. Apparently, they had to clean Seth’s dad’s pick-up after they had a little “painting accident” while they were painting Zach’s garage a new shade of green.

“Switch the TV on, Tory,” Jamie ordered lazily.

“Why should I? You’re right next to the thing,” she said, sounding slightly bothered.

“You’re such a lazy little sister, do you know that?” he said, reaching out his hand to push the button.

“I don’t see why you couldn’t just have used the remote,” Sapphire said from her place. She was lying across the loveseat. “It’s on the arm of the chair, next to your head.”

“Next to my head? Where? Oh, there.” He sat up, but as he did so he knocked over a half-full cup of coffee. “Crap!” he exclaimed, jumping up.

It spilled all over the sofa cushions.

“I’ll get a cloth,” I said, getting up quickly and leaving to the kitchen.

Jamie was lucky it had only fallen on the cushions. If it had fallen on the sofa… Let’s just say he’s mom would have made mince meat out of him.

As I rounded the bend to the kitchen I heard my name being mentioned.

“… So your parents are really forcing you and Alex to get married?” I heard Matt ask quietly. I wondered when he was going to mention it, so I wasn’t really surprised, though I did expect him to include me in the conversation.

I flattened myself against the wall, all thoughts about the reason I came to the back forgotten.

“Yeah, apparently they planned it years ago with our grandparents, and they refuse to undo the stupid contract,” Sean replied, just as softly.

“I’m guessing you’re not too eager about the marriage.”

“Not too eager? That’s really an understatement. Who wants to get married straight after college? They’re forcing me to marry a girl who I not only don’t know a thing about, but also have nothing in common with,” he let out heatedly.

He was right there; we had absolutely nothing in common. He was the sun and I was the moon. He was broccoli and I was a packet of crisps. He was left and I was right. He was-

Point taken.

“You’re contradicting yourself Sean. How can you not know anything about her, but know you have nothing in common.”

“It doesn’t matter how I know, I just do.”

I didn’t have to strain my ears to hear that, and I could hear the annoyance in his voice.

“No, you don’t, and I’ll tell you why. You have the same tastes in music, in cars, in sports. You’re both so hot-headed and so god damn stubborn. You even both have a crazy obsession with foreign languages!”

“I am not obsessed, okay? I just have a healthy interest, and besides I don’t care what you say, because the truth of the matter is that I don’t want to marry her. I’m only sixteen! I haven’t even-”

“Have you even given thought to how she feels? I’ve known Alexandria as long as she and Sapphire have been friends, and I understand her way more than she knows. She was always a distant as a child, and she still is. She always tries to please other people and she worries too much, but you’ll never notice it until you really take note of her. She keeps a cap over her emotions, she doesn’t trust anyone and she’s always afraid. She may act tough, but she’s delicate Sean, and I’m asking you not to break her. If you do, I swear I will kill you,” Matt said, lowering his voice even further. “She’s my cousin’s best friend, which means she’s family, and I protect my family.”

Silence.

This had gone on far too long. I didn’t like being talked about behind my back and I didn’t like what had come out of Matt’s mouth. I didn’t understand how he could know all that, when I didn’t understand myself half of the time. Confusion was not something I could deal with.

Besides, Sean wasn’t capable of breaking me; no one was. I am not delicate. If anything I’m the exact opposite.

I heard the clinking of cans. They were coming out.

Quickly, I reversed back. Then, acting casually, I strode into the kitchen.

They looked up, guilt written across their faces.

I was actually taken back; I didn’t expect Sean to feel remorseful.

Why do you always have to think the worst of Sean?

Not you again.

Of course it’s me, who else?

That is it! I am making an appointment with the shrink.

And tell him what? You talk to yourself? Very funny.

Oh, ha-ha.

The whole thing with my “internal voice” took less than a few seconds.

I smiled up at them, acting cool. Acting like I hadn’t heard their previous conversation. Acting like I didn’t feel like punching Matt in the face and thanking him at the same time. Acting like I didn’t have a voice in my head, and an annoying one at that.

Hey!

“Jamie spilled coffee on the cushions,” I said brightly.

I saw them visibly relax. Gullible idiots…

Taking a slightly damp cloth from the sink I followed them back to the lounge.

“Hi,” Skylar said, not even ringing the doorbell and just walking in. Taylor and Zach followed in behind him.

“We brought a movie,” Zach said.

“Where are Seth and Jake?” Matt asked.

“Seth’s grounded because of the “painting accident” and Jake’s at a family reunion,” Taylor answered before zooming in to Sapphire. “Why hello, beautiful, and who might you be?” he said, trying to be smooth.

“She’s off-limits,” I announced, raising my eyebrows. Sean was right; he was going to end up in a morgue with the way he presented himself to girls.

“Hi, I’m Sapphire,” Saph introduced herself, propping herself up on her elbow.

“So… do you have a boyfriend?” He asked, sidling up next to her.

He’s more flat than smooth.

I have to agree with you there.

“I don’t see how that is any of your business,” Tory said in a clipped voice. “Anyway, don’t you have a girlfriend?”

“I don’t know, she wants keep things under wraps, and I don’t think that’s working for me anymore,” he replied, just as brusque.

I watched them closely, seeing the animosity in their eyes as they glared at each other.
Everyone else was oblivious to the hostility between the two. It took a while for it to dawn on me.
Tory and Taylor were an item.

“Of all movies you could ever bring, you bring The Grudge. The Grudge! Honestly!” I moaned, burying my head into the coach. “I’ve already watched one horror movie today, I don’t need another.”

As if my mind wasn’t already preoccupied with all the information I’d received.

“You’d think you, the only person I know who had the guts to tell Mr. Barnes what she really thought of his dim-witted teaching technique, would be willing to watch, no able to watch, a horror movie, but no,” Sapphire chimed in.

“Mr. Barnes was an idiot, no offence, and I don’t really care what anyone thinks,” I said defiantly.
Liar, liar, pants on fire, I chanted inside my head. I tended to do that a lot, didn’t I?

The scary build up music was playing again. I was trying to block it out by
humming Hey Diddle Diddle under my breath, but it didn’t exactly work. Just as the music reached its climax the doorbell rang.

And I screamed. Again.

It seemed like today all I was doing was screaming.

And once again the whole room cracked up. How nice.

“Pizza’s here,” Jamie gasped.

“Saph, what time’s your curfew? ‘Cause I’m pretty sure you’re way over it,” I said, shaking her by the shoulders. She had fallen asleep. She had actually fallen asleep during The Grudge. In truth they’d all fallen asleep. Meanwhile I had been sitting wide-eyed, staring the screen, unable to tear my gaze away. That is, until I noticed the time.

“Holy crap! What’s the time?” she said, suddenly wide awake.

“Half past eleven. C’mon, we’ve got to leave now before your parents take away your beloved Twilight movie.”

She gasped.

“Not my Twilight! Get the keys, I’m just going to get my jacket from your room quickly,” she said, already running.

“It’s not even a good movie, the book was so much better,” I muttered, going through my pockets, looking for my keys.

“Where are you going?” Matt asked, startling me.

He stood, wiping the sleep from his eyes and yawning widely.

“I have to drop Sapphire at home before her parents call the police,” I said, still searching for the keys.

“At this time of night?” he said, looking at his watch. “You want to drive alone at this hour?”

“What choice do I have? She’ll kill me if her adored movie gets taken away.”

“I’ll drop her; that way I can crash at her place.”

“Really? Thanks, Matt!” I smiled, a little relieved that I wouldn’t have to drive in the dark. “By the way, have you seen my car keys?”

“I think they’re still in Sean’s pocket.”

“Thanks again,” I said, walking over to the armchair Sean was draped across.

“Uh, Alex, maybe you should wait till he’s awake-” Matt started to say, but it fell on deaf ears.
I reached into Sean’s right pocket. Nothing. I tried the left.

“Yay, success!”

“What are you doing?” Sean asked suspiciously; his eyes blinking open suddenly.

I started and quickly pulled my hand, and keys, out of his jeans.

Turning beetroot red, I answered. It amazed me that I could keep a steady voice.

“Nothing, I just needed my keys.”

“So you just put your hand in my pants?” he asked incredulously.

Did that sound wrong or what?

“In your pocket. I put my hand in your pocket,” I said, blushing even more. Thank God it was dark in here.

“Okay, I’m ready, let’s go Alex,” Saph said, walking briskly into the room.

“Go where?” Sean narrowed his eyes.

“None of your beeswax,” I snapped.

“No need to be so rude,” he retorted.

“No need for you to be so inquisitive,” I replied angrily.

“No need for you to be so defensive,” he counted back.

“Are you two at it again?” Tory yawned. “Just when I thought you were finally getting used to each other.” She sat up, stretching.

I snorted.

“As if,” we said in unison.

I glared at him. He glowered back.

“Sorry to interrupt, but I have to get home, you know,” Saph said, not sounding sorry at all.
“I’m dropping you,” Matt said, picking his coat off from the floor. How it got there I have no idea.
“Oh, okay. So, I’ll see you when I see you,” she said, giving me a quick hug.

“Yeah… Hey, wait! I’ll be right back,” I yelled, dashing up to my room.

While I was running up the stairs I heard Taylor groan.

“Yo, what’s the big idea?” he complained sleepily.

“Here,” I said a minute later. Breathing heavily, I pushed a huge envelope into Sapphire’s hands.
I nearly took a nosedive down the stairs, how fast I was running.

“What’s this for?” she asked, looking bewildered.

“Give it to Nick. And don’t forget, it’s important,” I said, looking around the room so I didn’t have to look her in the eye. She didn’t have to know that I was officially appointing Nick as my attaché.

I saw that Skylar and Zach had also woken up and sat, still sleepy, against the bottom of the loveseat.

“Bye Sapphire, Matt.”

I walked Saph to the door. A second later we noticed Matt hadn’t accompanied us.

Then we heard a shout.

We rushed back into the lounge, only to see Jamie standing in the middle of the room, sopping wet from the neck down to his waist.

Tory looked at me.

“Boys,” she chuckled.

All the guys were sniggering quietly to themselves.

“Bye James!” Matt shouted, grinning from ear to ear as he threw the now empty pitcher of water to his best friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
Update number 2 for the morning- some drama, and some laughs. I think this is one of my favorite chapters despite the fact that it isn't as fluent as how I picture it in my head. Oh well...

So, let me know what you think? Comment with your opinions, kiddos