My Living Nightmare

Chapter 7

“Alex, it’s time to go.” Phil and Sean, along with their chauffeur had finally managed to get all my bags into the trunk.

With a final look at my parents I followed Christine and Phil to the limo.

Sean was holding the door open for us, Camille standing next to him. I don’t know if it was just me, but he looked a bit terrified.

“What did you say to him?” I whispered to her as I passed.

“Oh, nothing much,” she waved a hand dismissively, “ I just explained in explicit detail how I’d cut him open with a spoon, tear out all his innards and fry it in a vat of melted butter then feed it to flea invested scavenger dogs if he did anything to upset you,” she said sweetly.

“You’re-”

“- cruel, I know.”

“So, bye?”

“For now.”

“Alex? We’ve been in the car for nearly an hour and you haven’t said a word.”

London bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down.

“Alex?”

London bridge is falling down, My Fair Lady.

“Alex? Are you okay?”

Build it up with wood and clay, wood and clay, wood and clay. Build it up with wood and clay, My Fair Lady.

“Alexandria? Earth calling,” Sean said, waving a hand side to side in front of my face.

“Hmmm? What?”

“You were totally spaced out. Is everything alright?”

“Yeah, sorry, I just have a killer headache,” I said, breathing out slowly. Leaning back in my seat I closed my eyes and tried to ignore the resonating pounding of my head. London Bridge echoing in my head was hardly helping. Where it came from, I didn’t know.

“Well, my mother always has aspirin in her bag, I’ll have a look…, and here it is.” He handed me the aspirin and a bottle of water he found in the bar fridge. Yes, the bar fridge. In the limo. Shall I say it again? Very discreet, isn’t it?

Christine had fallen asleep and lay draped over her husband’s shoulder while he typed away at his laptop. He was paying us as much attention as a hyper active toddler would; none.

“Thanks.” Is it just me or did it seem like I thanked him a lot?

He waved it away before saying, “I guess I should warn you about my little sister Tory. She can be a bit… hyper when she’s got time. And she’s very sprightly… before eight, every single morning. Be afraid, be very afraid.”

“Aren’t you being a little dramatic? She can’t be that bad. Does she know about this… arrangement?” I was going to say disaster but ended up being a little more diplomatic.

“Yeah, my parents sat her and my brother down before me. Unfair, if you ask me…”he trailed off.

The whole situation was unfair.

We drove in silence for the next couple of moments before the car finally pulled to a stop.

“We’re here.”

Phil tapped his wife gently on her shoulder and she instantly awoke, bleary eyed and yawning. He closed his laptop and slipped it into his bag.

“Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s get out of here,” Christine said.

Phil got out of the limo then held the door open and helped out his wife. Sean was the next one out and then me.

“Welcome to our humble abode, Alexandria.”

The house was amazing. It had an old Victorian feel about it. The car was pulled to a stop in front of this paved entrance way that was flanked by two beautiful Weeping Willows. The house was cream colored and lavishly decorated with Victorian charm.

It was beautiful and modest.

After unpacking my luggage, the limo driver pulled away and made an expert U-turn, before driving back down the driveway.

“It’s a seven bedroom house, with a swimming pool round back. The top floor is the home gym and music room. The third floor is ours; my bedroom, your bedroom, and my brother and sister’s and the guest rooms. The second floor is my parent’s bedroom, their study and the library and the first floor is the kitchen, lounge, dining room and laundry room. Tory will give you the complete tour tonight.” Sean filled me in as we walked the pathway towards the house.