Status: One and done

don't let it burn

1/1

It's like any other day. I walk out the door of my house and my mom thinks I'm going to school.
But I'm not and she probably knows it.
I leave every morning at 6:45 and head down to The Street. I dance there all day trying to earn money for a ticket to LA. I want to be a dancer. It's all I've ever dreamed of. My mom supports me all she can but honestly, she needs it for herself. My father left her before I was born. She told me he had said he "wasn't ready for the commitment of being a father". He's a coward. He left my mother all alone on her own in Chicago.
She didn't have any family and had a job that payed her enough to barely get by. But we've made it this far.
I walk through the back entrance of The Street through the alley. The head of security, Robs, is there to greet me.

"Hey Harper," he says with a smile.

I smile back at him,"Hi Robs, how ya doing?"

He sighs,"Pretty good, darlin'. We gotta big gig tonight. The Blackhawks are coming, ya ready?"

I nod and we part ways. I head to the dressing room and put on my costume on for my performance. Mike, my partner, comes in and gives me a welcoming smile.

"Hey, babe," he says, "How's your mama?"

I give a bitter smile,"Unsuspecting as usual."

I honestly feel bad about not telling her. She's done everything for me and I've let her down. Mike understands somewhat but no one really does. Just like no one understands how it's like without a dad.

"You two are on now," Robs says rushing into our room.

We both nod and Mike says,"Thanks, R."

Robs gives a half smile,"Just doin' my job."

Mike and I walk over to our places on the stage and I listen to our introductions. The curtain peels back and the meloncholy sounds of Adele fill the bar. Mike and I move in sync to the song with strength and flexibilty. The song is soon replaced by applause. Cheers and hollers bleed onto the stage.
I smile and pant in glee. We pulled it off. I give a wave and walk down the stairs to the bar.

"Water please," I tell the bartender.

I feel someone tap my shoulder and I turn back around.
Jonathan Toews.

"Uh, hi," I stutter in awe.
I'm a huge 'Hawks fan and meeting the captain, oh my god.

"Hi, that was amazing," he compliments.

I sigh in relief,"Thank you, we put a lot of work into it."

He nods knowingly,"I can tell, I'm Jon by the way."

He holds out a hand.

"Harper," I breathe, shaking his hand.

A comfortable silence breaks into our conversation but Jon pulls it out of the lull.

"Do you- would you like to grab coffee sometime?" he asks nervously,"Maybe?"

I chuckle,"Of course I would. My number is 312-760-1919."

He pulls out his iPhone adds a contact quickly.

"I'll see you around," he smiles and gives me a quick kiss on the cheek.

A red hue glows on both of our faces but I laugh it off.

"Same, Jon," I say lustfully.

He starts to walk away but quickly I call his name. He turns around with a confused look on his face.

"Congrats on the cup," I say,"And thanks for bringing in home to Chi-town. It's where it belongs, Captain Serious."

He laughs at my comment and a grin grows on my face. He walks back over and leans in close to me.

"Thank you, Harper," he says and presses his lips to mine.
I kiss back without hesitation.

"No, thank you," I say when we break apart.

He smiles and walks away.
I bite my lip as he returns to his teammates.

Don't let it burn Jon, I think to myself with a smile and I turn back to the bar.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you liked it! Sorry I haven't been updating! I made travel lax (lacrosse) and I've been super busy. I hope this will make up for it.

xoxo, Sabrina