Ignition

The Party

"Patrick, who are these guys?" I had found him outside manning the grill as he had it filled with steaks.

"They are my tea…co-workers, they are pretty chill. I thought that a few of them were going to bring their girlfriends but I guess that they were all doing something together tonight."

Ain't Back Yet was coming through the speakers and some of the guys started coming out to the deck and were commenting on the music. "This gal did it all on her own! Everyone, this is Lexington, play nice."

"You must not be from around here," a tall man with a Canadian accent asked me.

"No, I split my time in the south and New England. Something tells me that you're not from around here either," I smiled at the cute Canadian. He had dark eye's, dark hair, and was smooth talker.

"A traveler, same here. I'm from Canada though. I country hop," he smiled as an even taller man came over.

"Same with me, I'm from Canada as well. Brent," he extended his hand and Corey smiled and walked away. He didn't seem made or anything, he just went to go talk to some of his other friends.

"I've been to Canada a few times, to party of course," I smiled and took a drink of my beer. Patrick hadn't noticed it yet so I figured he must be fine with it.

"So what brings you to Chicago miss New England?"

"Well, I pretty much had to leave my last school, my choice of course, and Northwestern seemed like a nice place to start over. What about you, Brent?"

"I play defense for the Chicago Blackhawks."

"Oh, is that basketball?" I honestly had no idea, I was a horseback rider, I was never into sports, my dad was a Yankee's fan and my mom was a horse trainer.

"Are you kidding? It's hockey! Yo Kaner, this girl didn't know what team the Blackhawks were," Brent was laughing because I didn't know about sports. What an ass.

I didn't know what to do. Run? Walk? Go home? I started walking into the apartment where I was cut off by some guy chuckling, and I turned into what must have been Patrick's room.

There were pictures all over the walls, framed jerseys from Team USA, some team with an indian head, and a baseball jersey. I sat down on his bed as I felt my face get hot. All I wanted to do was make friends here, and not be the laughing stock of Chicago. Maybe I should just go now and ask Patrick to bring my computer back after the party. I set my head in my hands and worked on my breathing. I was not a pussy, and I was not going to cry.

"You okay?" I looked up and saw that Patrick had walked in, and was in the process of closing his door. "Listen, Seabrook is a douche. Everyone here is used to the city bowing down to them after the Cup win this past year. I'll go kick his ass if he made you cry." Patrick sat down next to me and looked ahead at one of the many pictures in his room.

"I'm fine, it just hit me hard. I had no idea, and I was just made an ass out of. I'm not the type of girl to fawn over some guy who thinks he's a hot shot because he plays a professional sport. Hey, how do you know him?" I was kind of confused, how did Patrick know him?

"I play with him. I'm a forward for the Chicago Blackhawks."

"You are going to think that I am a nut, but what is a forward?" I couldn't even look at Patrick I was so embarrassed for asking.

"I play offense, so I have the puck a lot. I am one of the first guys on the ice every game."

“Oh,” I felt so incompetent, “that's pretty cool. Where do you play? Maybe I'll catch a game this winter.”

“The United Center,” Patrick looked over at me and we started laughing.

“Oh god, you must have thought that I was a complete moron! I am so sorry!” I laid back on his bed laughing at the irony. I have been living amongst a professional athlete and had no idea!

“It's okay! We're just not used to it. Most girls fawn over us so we aren't used to being treated like normal guys,” Patrick stood up and looked down at me.

I was really talking to a professional athlete, wasn't I? Huh. “Well, that's not going to change because I don't know shit about you guys.” I smiled and got back up. “Guess I should go face the heat.”

“Yeah, they shouldn't be too hard on you, just ignore them and have a beer,” Patrick walked towards the door, looked back and winked at me.

“Hey! You wanted to know if I was old enough, and now your asking me to drink it? I like the way you think Patrick!” I pushed through the doorway and walked through the guys to the cooler picking up another beer. “Is there a lime in this place?” I walked towards the kitchen where I could see salad and fruit in bowls.

“Lime? For what?” Corey was back and pulling carrots from the salad.

“My beer, don't you know you always have lime, with Corona?” I looked at him in shock as he had done to my earlier.

“I've ever done that, where do they do that?”

Now I was the one who was shocked. “Every bar that I have worked at made it a ritual to put a piece of lime with any Corona served, it's just natural!” I gave a chuckle and gave up, I wasn't going to paw through Patricks fridge looking for a bit of lime.

“So what brings you to Chicago Lexington?” Jon was back, also digging his hand into the salad.

“I transferred schools, and Northwestern has a great facilities management program so I figured Chicago couldn't be too bad!” I leaned against the cool countertop as the sun beamed through the glass of the door.

“Nice! Have your classes started yet?” He seemed generally interested so I spared the generic answer and tried for something a little more in depth.

“They did! I started classes on Wednesday. I think I am going to enjoy them, but they seem to be a bit of work. My internship is going to make up for six credits though, so that should help. I think I will be working so“Wow! I guess thats pretty good. I never really tried when I went to school, I knew that I was going to play in the NHL so it didn't really matter. Hockey was always my first priority. What made you want to work facilities management?”

“I'm not sure, it just seemed like something to keep me busy, and I would be able to interact with others at all times so that is a plus!”

“Well I'm glad that you are here, I'm sure that I will be seeing you around, but I think that Patrick is trying to get everyone to go eat.”

And with that, we all made way and ate on the porch drinking beers, and listening to the music that was slowly turning more poppy. me of your games. They said something about hockey games, but I didn't pay much attention, I was so excited to get the first internship I applied for.”