Victory Is the Only Thing That Can Keep You Alive

Wiffle Attack

"Heads! Cam!" the guys yelled as a wiffle bat came flying my way.

I panicked not because of the bat coming my way but rather James's screeching behind me and ended up falling to the ice on my ass.

"I am sorry," Olli Maata the new defenseman rookie skated over to me smiling widely as the rest of the guys laughed around us, "are you ok?"
"I am fine," I climbed to my knees and let him help me to my feet, "I just don't think you should give up your day job."
"I won't," he chuckled.
"Olli that is the second time you have almost killed one of my players, get over there," Dan pointed to back of the line for the safety of all of us and the rookie skated to the back of the line where Bortz was happy to haggle him.

"You ok?" Geno laughed putting his hand on top of my helmet and ruffling me up.
"I am ok," I swatted him away which just made him continue his escapades.
"Rookie beat you up," he poked my sides still laughing at me covered in ice.
"Shut up," I nudged him away trying to keep a straight face but completely failing to do so as he continued teasing me.

I hadn't exactly been the most excited participant when it came to wiffle ball but there hadn't been any way of getting out of it. Coach made me suck it up, Sid didn't help, I didn't even get sympathy from the guy who was supposed to be my boyfriend and the rookies, well they just made me look bad except Olli who made me look like a pro. Wiffle ball was not my forte so when our team lost I didn't stick around to be chirped, I wanted off the ice.

'You sure your ok Cameron?” Olli spoke quietly from across the locker room.
“I am fine Olli,” I shrugged, “really you don't have to worry it's just a plastic bat and I am a hockey play, it didn't hurt.”
“Ok good,” he nodded before going back to getting out of his gear.

If there was one person I had managed to click with through training camp is was Olli Maatta. I wasn't sure why but he had been the kindest one to me so far and even though we played opposing positions we both had the utmost respect for another. I think I saw how he handled coming into the league and knew that he was going to make it and I admired that about him.

“Hey Olli,” I got up from my stall and wandered over to the rookie defenseman fiddling with his stick tape.
“Yeah,” he sat up running his hand through his sweat drenched hair.
“Did the guys invite you to the Pirates game tonight?”
“I was going to stay home,” he shrugged.
“No you have to come, it will be good for the team. Most of the guys are going and besides I have the extra ticket.”
“It's ok Cameron I couldn't...”
“No Olli you have to come it will be a fun night and I think you deserve a good break. You need to not underestimate yourself so much.”
“Ok,” he seemed a little more happier about the idea as I fed his ego just a little to get to him, “I will come.”
“Good, I am sure the boys will make sure you are welcome. Even if you are still underage,” I teased trying to get a rise out of him.
“Haha,” he narrowed his eyes at me.

Truth was I admired that about him too. He had a year on me before hoping to make the big leagues. He was 19 and I was 21 yet he was earning the same amount of respect from everyone that I had. It didn't bother me though because I knew he deserved it, he worked hard for it and so far he was doing everything right for it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys I know I haven't updated something that is actually of worth but I am trying here. I am truthfully stuck here trying to get this to the point where it can flow and hopefully with a few more updates that will happen. Also I am writing a couple of contest stories so I am not always focused here and just got a new bike so I have been out checking the cycle paths around the city. Maybe it will give me some time to think when I am out but we will see how it all pans out.