Status: process of being rewritten (again) oops

Jodi Ellis

11:52 PM

Blood, blood, blood, blood.

It was everywhere. With my eyes closed, I could still see it, smell it, taste it. It was on my hands, in my hair, I was standing in it. Vomit rose in my throat, I placed my hand over my mouth. Opening my eyes, I saw that I wasn’t dreaming. There was a dead girl lying in front of me. She was face down, hair cascading down her back and getting tangled with the blood that surrounded her body like a lake.

My feet were frozen to the ground, I didn’t know what to do. I could hear people begin to laugh outside and drunkenly sing along to whatever song was playing. Tears burned my eyes, I gagged on the stench of blood. A knock came from the other side of the door. “Whoever is in there, hurry the fuck up,” someone shouted. My eyes looked away from the blood and darted towards the door, my eyes widening. “I’m going to piss over the floor!”

Moving on shaky legs, I hesitated in opening the door. Sweat mixed with blood, my conscience telling me to run, to hide. It would be wrong. The girl could still have a chance of survival. I just wasn’t that chance, somebody else could be - had to be. Trying to steady my breathing, I opened the door, coming face to face with the impatient person. “Sorry, I’m so sorry,” I whispered, looking at the ground, avoiding eye contact.

“You better be sorry, I almost pissed out here,” the taller girl snapped, pushing past me. My arm hit the door frame, but I didn’t feel any pain from it. I was numb from the scene in the bathroom. Then it came. The scream. It was louder than I had expected, but it was my cue to run.