Status: process of being rewritten (again) oops

Jodi Ellis

12:30 PM

“You’re allowed fifteen minutes before the court rejoins,” the police officer standing by the door said, holding the door open. I looked up from the images that were still placed out in front of me, it was my lawyer’s technique to help me remember. It was unsuccessful, all it has achieved is me throwing up the cup of water I had drank.

I watched the door as my parents walked in. Two different emotions covered their faces. My father walked over to me, my eyes followed him as he knelt down beside me. “Are you ok, sweetie?” He asked, placing his hand over mine. I felt like I hadn’t seen him in forever. After the divorce, my mother gained custody over me, meaning that my father wasn’t allowed to be in my life. Overcome with emotion, I wrapped my arms around him, tears threatening to break free.

“How could you do this to my reputation, Jodi?” I heard my mother snap from the other side of the room. “I’ve worked so hard to create a name for myself, and you go and murder some poor innocent girl.” I looked over at her, her eyes fixated on the mobile phone in her hand. “Your stepfather and I are very disappointed in you.”

My hand curled into a ball at my side as I watched her type away on her phone. She believed that I killed that girl. “I didn’t murder her, mother,” I told her, trying to keep my voice steady. “As I’ve said I don-”

“Don’t remember, yeah I know,” she interrupted, finally looking at me. I could feel the hatred radiating from her, it made me feel sick. “I hope that when you go to jail, they’ll sort out whatever horrible dye you’ve put on your hair anyway.”

She said when, not if.