Devils Don't Fly

Introduction

I stand outside of Avengers' Tower, a cigarette placed between my bright red lips as I struggle to get my ancient lighter to work. After many failed attempts to light my cigarette, a growl escapes my lips as I throw the items back into my jean pockets and lean up against the building's wall.

Seconds later, I feel a presence beside me. I turn my head and see Clint leaning up against the building as well; his eyes focused on the busy New York street in front of us.

"You're not coming up, are you?" He asks, "another fight with Tony?"

"Would it be a surprise if I say yes?" I ask, pulling my blazer tighter around me in a vain attempt to block out the cold fall air.

"Why are you here, Marie?" Clint asks me, "especially if you're not here to see your boyfriend."

"Officially I'm not here at all,” I state, “I just needed to talk to someone. I need a male opinion on something.”

“Like what?” He chuckles. But before I can answer, there is an explosion about a half block. Clint and I share of look that can only be described as horror before racing off to the area of the explosion. The area of which Stark Industries is located.

We get there and Pepper is being escorted out by Happy and a few other SI works are right behind them; but no sign of Tony. I could feel my heart stop and my blood turns to ice.

“Please tell me Tony was at the Tower?” I ask, Clint almost afraid of the answer.

“He flew out to California last night; something Fury wanted him to do or something like that.” Pepper replies.

“I’ll be back.” I mutter before running back to the Tower, ignoring Clint as he screams my name. I just simply jump into my SUV and take off towards HQ. I have a feeling Fury knew this attack was coming.

****

“Fury!” I yell as I walk into SHIELD, gaining the attention of not only Fury but Hill and Romanoff. “Where is Tony?”

“In a safe location, Marx.” He replies, “he was no where near SI when the explosion happened.”

“You knew it was going to happen, didn’t you?” I ask, “Pepper told me you sent Tony away last night. You knew he was going to get attacked.”

“An assassination attempt was brought to our attention.” He states, walking over to me. “This isn’t your everyday attempt either. This isn’t like Killian going after him or Pepper. This attack is more than just personal.”

“So you send him away without even telling him?” I scoff, “what kind of place are you running here?”

His eye glares into me show little tolerance for my outbursts, “he’s fine. We have SHIELD agents watching every move he makes as well as everyone around him.”

“What are you going to do about whoever is after him?” I ask, “is there anything known about this guy?”

“Not much, only that he has the ability to travel in time.” Hill replies. “We’re doing everything we can to protect him. We’ve already sent agents back in time starting with Tony’s birth. Everything is under control Marx.”

“Not everything…” I reply. “If this person wants Tony dead, he’s not just going to stop at killing Tony at an earlier time; he might go all the way back in time and go after either Howard or Maria; ever think of that?”

“Are you suggesting we send people back in time to protect Howard Stark?” Fury asks, earning a meek nod from me. I knew the idea was stupid but it’s safe thinking.

“I’ll even volunteer.” I softly say, looking down at the ground.

“Then back your suitcase, Marx,” Fury tells me, “we’re sending you back in time…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Marie

a rocky introduction but this'll totally get better as I work on it.