Status: Inactive for lack of motivation and feedback.

The Witch and the Sorcerer

The Grimiore and the Prisons

Asgard
2007 A.D.


Noon time in the sort of “suburban” area of Asgard was no different than to the noon lunch rush on Midgard. Salesmen were trying to get you to buy their goods on your way to lunch, food carts were crowded with workers trying to grab a quick bite, and the morning market was trying to get the last of its produce sold before closing for the day. The streets were crowded with loud people on foot and on horseback. At this particular time, on this particular street, people were shoulder to shoulder. Mothers were trying to control their tired and hungry toddlers, too young to join other Asgardian children in school. Everyone was trying to get where they needed to be, and the inevitable irritated man or woman would shove another. I’ve seen them shove children down before. Thor, Loki, and I had a talk with the man, who was very rude to us. He was before Odin before he could say more. I remembered Loki leaning down to pick the child up. She was little. Just starting out in life.
Loki picked the little girl up from the dirt and balanced her on his hip. I took a handkerchief out of my bag to wipe her dirty face while Thor argued with the man who had knocked her down. We had seen it coming. He even looked at the poor girl before shoving her head in a manner that if one had not been paying attention, it would have appeared as an accident. I wanted to hex him.

“Shh, you’re alright,” I said calmly.

She was so cute. Little brown curls, big brown eyes, and pudgy features. She was just a toddler, with maybe a year or two worth of walking under her belt. I was not sure if the aging process was the same for Asgardian children, seeing as Loki was 1,044 years old and barely looked 20, but this girl looked to be at least three years old by Midgardian standards.

“Where’s your mother?” Loki asked her kindly.

The girl whimpered, staring at Loki with big, round eyes.

“How dare you speak to the Prince of Asgard with that tone!” Thor boomed.

The little girl jumped and started crying again. Loki gritted his teeth and shook his head. I lightly pulled on Loki’s sleeve and led him and the girl over to a storefront, out of the way of the traffic and where Thor’s loud voice was muffled.

“He’s just obnoxious,” Loki assured the girl, whom I’m sure had no idea what that meant.

“What’s your name?” I asked her.

She sniffed, his little nose bright pink from crying.

“Embla,” she replied in a small voice.

Loki smiled at her.

“What’s your mother’s name?” he asked.

“Mommy,” she replied.

Loki and I collectively sighed. She was too young to know.

“I’m sure she’s looking for you, Embla,” I said, “My name is Avery. This is Prince Loki.”

Embla chewed her knuckles.

“We’ll find her. Don’t fret, little one,” Loki said softly.

That made her smile.

“Ave, is she hurt anywhere? She hit the ground hard,” he said.

I moved around Loki to check. Embla lifted her left arm and looked at her elbow.

“Owie,” she said.

I gently took her chubby arm in my hands. Her elbow was scraped and bleeding.

“That is an owie, but it’s not bad,” I said to her, even though it looked terrible, “Loki, her elbow is banged up pretty bad.”

“Here,” he said.

He carried Embla to the window sill and set her upon in. He then kneeled before her.

“Can I see it?” he asked kindly.

Embla whimpered and held her elbow up, sucking the opposite hand’s fingers. Loki cringed.

“Could you bend it for me? Stretch your arm out and bend it back?” he asked.

Embla stretched her arm. As it fully straightened, she whimpered, the folds of her elbow rolling into the scrape.

“Okay, nothing’s broken,” Loki confirmed, “Embla, can you hold your elbow up to me? Like a bird’s wing?”

He demonstrated what he wanted her to do, holding his fist to his chest and his elbow up in the air. She mocked him and he smiled.

“Very good,” he praised her, “I’ll make that go away for you. It won’t hurt. Just hold still.”

Embla whimpered and pulled her elbow away. I’m sure her healers had also told her that lie.

“It really won’t hurt, child. I promise. I can use magic to make it go away,” he said.

Her eyes lit up at that.

“May I try?” he asked.

She eagerly nodded and thrust elbow back in the air. I laughed at her. Loki cupped his large hands around her tiny elbow. She watched on with wonder as soft white light streamed between Loki’s fingers. He then let go, revealing a fully healed elbow.

“Does that feel better?” he asked.

Embla bent her arm back and forth, then giggled.

“Fank-ooo,” she said.

Loki grinned.

“You’re welcome,” he replied.

From the crowd, I could hear a woman’s voice shouting.

“Embla! Embla, where are you?”

I turned and Loki glanced over his shoulder.

“Mommy!” Embla squealed.

“I’ll go catch her,” I said.

Loki nodded and picked Embla back up. I walked forward and waved my hand in the air, catching the frantic mother’s attention.

“She’s over here!” I called.

The woman quickly rushed over, dodging carts and hurrying people to reach her child. When she saw who was holding her child, her eyes nearly bugged out of her sockets.

“Majesty,” she said and immediately curtsied, then bowed her head to me, “My Lady.”

I bowed my head to her.

“My Prince, I am so sorry. I hope she didn’t cause you any trouble,” the woman said as Loki handed Embla back to her.

“There was no trouble at all, my lady,” he assured her.

The woman breathed a sigh of relief, pushing her daughter’s hair out of her face.

“Is she okay?” she asked.

Loki smiled and nodded.

“She’s perfectly alright,” he assured her, “We saw her lost and scared and pulled her out of the crowd before something terrible could happen.”

“Oh, thank-you, Your Majesty. How can I repay you?” she asked.

Loki waved her off.

“No need, my Lady,” he said.

The woman’s eyes widened.

“Oh, but there must be something,” she insisted.

Loki shook his head.

“Well, thank-you very much for rescuing her,” she said.

“You’re very welcome. We must be on our way. Take care,” Loki said, taking my arm.

The woman bowed to us.

“Thank-you, Your Majesty,” she said, then turned and disappeared in the crowd with Embla.

When she was out of sight, I looked up at Loki.

“Why didn’t you tell her about her daughter’s elbow?” I asked.

Loki looked down at me with a smile.

“I find that sometimes, ignorance is bliss,” he said.

I nodded in agreement. He had healed Embla without her mother’s consent, and an overprotective mother, no matter how grateful she should be, would inevitably criticize Loki and throw a fit. I knew he was probably right.

“True,” I said, then looked back up at him, “You were so kind to her.”

Loki smiled down at me.

“Can I not be kind?” he asked.

I laughed.

“I would think you not overly fond of children,” I said.

Loki’s eyes lit with mischief.

“I do not mind children. You would not either if you were the brother of Thor,” he joked.

I laughed and hooked my arm with his.

“I suppose that would lengthen your patience. Where do you think he went?”

“I can only imagine. Come, Avery. Let’s try to find him before he kills that man,” he said.

Loki moved forward, and I fell into step with him.

“Well, if he hasn’t, I will!”

Neither of us saw Embla, or her mother again, but every time I followed Loki down the busy market streets, I was always reminded of that day. Today was no different, and Loki held my hand tightly so I would not drown in the sea of people.

“This place better be worth it!” I hissed.

Loki grinned a grin I knew could only mean trouble.

“It is, Ave. Come quickly.”

Loki towed me down an alleyway and to a row of shops completely void of the noontime crowd. The shops were mismatched, and in need of serious cosmetic work. I looked around me as Loki walked ahead.

“Why do you bring me to these shady places?” I asked.

Loki smirked.

“I’ve brought you to worse,” he pointed out.

I stopped dead and raised an eyebrow at him.

“Maybe that wasn’t the most appropriate thing to say,” he said.

I smiled and shook my head.

“But have I ever let something happen to you?” he asked.

I glanced up at him.

“No, dear Loki,” I replied, a shit-eating grin on my face.

Loki fought back a smile.

“And I do not intend to today, Ave. I have something to show you. Now, come with me,” he said.

I sighed in defeat and followed him. Loki led me up the street. Most shops were left abandoned, but one on the corner stood out, and very much alive with business. The shop was massive, standing two-stories high. It was a salmon pink in color, and the inside was lit with lamps. A man was holding the door open for a couple, who seemed happy with themselves as they toted several books under their arms.

“I found this little gem about a week ago,” Loki spoke up, “I’ve read all I’ve cared to read in Father’s library. I know you’ve been yearning to expand on your sorcery, so I thought we may try to see what we can find.”

I glanced up at him.

“Lead the way,” I said.

Loki smiled and escorted me up the steps and held the door open for me. I walked inside and looked around, immediately delighted by what I saw. Books. Books packed on shelves. Books stacked in odd places. Books everywhere, and every single one held potential. The clerk bowed, and I looked over my shoulder to see Loki enter behind me. I took a deep breath, smelling musty ink and paper. Hello, paradise.

***

“Do you see anything?” I asked.

Loki was high on a ladder, dragging a slender finger across the spines on the books on the highest shelves. I clutched his chosen books to my chest, biting my lip and bouncing anxiously.

“You must be joking,” Loki suddenly spoke.

I tilted my head to the side.

“What?” I asked.

Loki hooked his finger onto a rather ancient looking novel and opened it to the title page with a flick of his wrist.

Lord of Asgard: A Look Into the Life and Times of King Bor,” he read.

I burst out laughing, then immediately slapped a hand over my mouth, remembering my manners.

“I’m buying this,” Loki announced.

“Like you don’t know anything about your grandfather,” I said sarcastically.

Loki ignored me.

“I’ve never even heard of this author,” he said, “I wonder if Father knows about this.”

Loki tucked the book under his arms and climbed back down the ladder, jumping from the second to last rung and strolling over to me.

“Let me take those, Ave,” he said.

Loki placed the book of Bor on the top of the stack and I helped slip the stack into his arms.

“Got it?” I asked.

“Yes, thank-you,” he grunted, shifting the books to balance them.

“I’m guessing you didn’t find anything interesting for me up there?”

Loki shook his head.

“I thought this would be a good place to look for something unique, but even I am having trouble finding anything on magic and sorcery,” he said, “Let’s try the next aisle.”

I nodded and followed behind him. We were deep in the bowels of the shop, in a dark, quiet, secluded area that looked like it had remained untouched for years. Boxes were filled with books. Shelves were messily kept and so packed with books, they overflowed and had been stacked high up to the ceiling. It was like book purgatory.

“We could live in here for days and not make a dent,” I said.

As I spoke, a loud thump on the old wood floor caused Loki and I both to jump. I cursed and turned around.

“Be careful, Ave. Watch where you’re walking,” Loki scolded.

“I didn’t touch anything!” I squeaked out, not meaning for my voice to crack.

I leaned down to see a massive book, thick as Thor’s arm and as big as Loki’s ego sitting in the floor, as if it wanted to be found. It was leather bound, and had it not been ornately decorated with Norse runes, I would have put it on a shelf.
I leaned down and picked it up. The cover was blanketed in dust, so I swiped my hand over it and tried to read the title. However, it was in a language I couldn’t understand.

“What is it?” Loki asked, his voice coming from near the back of my head.

I looked up to see him looming over my shoulder.

“I’m not sure. Can you read that?” I asked.

Loki set his books down and took the giant book off of my hands.

“Let’s see,” he said thoughtfully.

As he deciphered the text, his eyes widened and a sly smile appeared on his lips.

“Would you believe me if I told you this was a grimoire?” he asked.

I narrowed my eyes.

“A what?” I asked.

“It’s like what you call a Book of Shadows. It’s essentially the same thing, just written by someone else. A textbook, if you will,” he explained.

My eyes widened.

“You mean after hours of searching, a random book of magic comes flying out of no where?” I exclaimed, frustrated.

Loki smiled.

“It would seem so,” he said, then looked down and read the rest of the title, “Grimoire for the Sorcerers of Night.”

He opened the grimoire and began flipping the pages.

“There are some interesting things in here, Ave. Some complicated, it would seem. Not to say that is a bad thing,” he said.

I watched him as he delved deeper within the book. Every so often, his eyebrows would knit together, and every time, it worried me.

“Most of this is quite helpful magic, Ave, but there are some things in here much too dark and evil to conjure. Mother would never let you try any of it. I’m sure this one is illegal.”

Loki pointed at something, but for his height, I could not peer over the pages to see.

“Would it help me expand my skills, or is it a waste of my time?” I asked.

“Oh, of course not. This is a very detailed book. Very old and beautiful magic,” he said, his eyes and tone full of wonder, “The only issue is, this isn’t in a language you can read.”

I felt my heart sink.

“Put it back, then,” I said, downtrodden.

Loki snapped the book closed and stared at me, greenish-blue eyes piercing right through me.

“Avery, I can translate this for you with little effort,” he said.

I felt my spirits lift a little.

“Really?” I asked, “Loki, you don’t have to—“

“It will take me an hour at the most. Then, you can read it and learn from it,” he said.

I gave him a small smile. Loki returned it and stroked my hair.

“I’ll buy it for you,” he insisted.

I opened my mouth to protest, but he shushed me.

“Find a few more books and then I will pay and we’ll be on our way,” he said.

“Loki, I have money.”

He just smiled at me, but said nothing. I rolled my eyes, but was very grateful for the act of kindness, nonetheless.
I did not find much that interested me after finding the grimoire, but I was perfectly fine with it. Loki paid the clerk at the front for our finds before we left to make our way back to the palace.

“After I translate this, mind which spells you use, Ave,” he said.

I smiled at him.

“Don’t worry. I won’t do anything too extravagant,” I assured him.

Loki smiled.

“That remains to be seen,” he replied.

I laughed and hooked arm with his, walking quickly to keep up with his long strides as we walked back to the palace.

For the remainder of the afternoon, I worked with the grimoire, noting herbs and other tools I would need for certain spells and potions while I read over Loki’s immaculate translations. I was not sure what he did, but it seemed as if he had used multiple spells and charms on the book to make it not only readable for me, but also to repair damage and typos. I would have to find a way to thank him, for this was the most interesting, delicate, and advanced magic I had ever had the pleasure of practicing. I decided that perhaps I would find a simple spell or enchantment, practice it, then demonstrate it for Loki that night. Something simple and harmless. When I found the perfect enchantment, I set to work.
That night, I searched the palace for Loki. It was nearing dinner time, and smells from the palace kitchens were drifting throughout the corridors, making my stomach growl. I wanted to hurry and show Loki what I had been up to, then quickly make it to dinner before arriving late and inevitably angering King Odin.
As I searched the corridors, I heard Thor’s voice ahead of me, laughing at something. Then, I heard Loki’s sharp tongue counter whatever tease Thor had thrown at him. I smiled to myself.

“You may regret speaking to me like that one day,” Loki warned him.

Thor just laughed.

“And when that day comes, I will apologize,” he said.

I heard Loki snort. Their footsteps came closer. I moved within the columns, concealing myself in a pale, golden curtain as I watched the brothers walk by.

“You’re hopeless,” Loki said to Thor.

“Aye, but at least I can take a joke,” he teased.

Loki stopped. Thor took a moment to notice Loki had stopped walking, but when he did, he turned and looked on at him worriedly.

“Brother?” he asked.

Loki just smiled at him.

“Go on ahead. Find the others. I’ll be along shortly,” he replied.

Thor bowed his head in understanding and turned to leave. Loki stood still, watching Thor until his footsteps could barely be heard.

“Must you creep?” Loki asked out loud.

I bit my lip. Crap!

I walked forward, emerging from the columns. Loki looked over at me and smiled a knowing smile.

“I wasn’t eavesdropping, if that’s what you think,” I said.

Loki turned to me and approached.

“You know better than to think you can sneak around me without being caught,” he said.

I smirked.

“I was actually coming to find you. I saw you and Thor in conversation and decided to be polite and wait,” I said.

Loki smiled.

“I would have welcomed the interruption. Sweet relief from an argument with the densest of people,” he said.

I laughed.

“I’ll try to remember that next time,” I said.

Loki just smiled. His eyes were lit with mischief, and he took a moment before he spoke. I found it slightly awkward, but that melted away when he opened his mouth.

“What were you going to talk to me about?” he asked.

I suddenly remembered the reason for hunting him down. My eyes widened and I took his hand.

“There’s something I need to show you!” I said excitedly.

Loki grinned.

“Oh, you do?” he asked playfully.

“I do,” I replied.

Loki laughed.

“Lead the way,” he said.

And so I did, leading Loki out of the palace and out to the royal pastures where the horses grazed during the day. I lead Loki up a gradual hill and to the tree line.

“I’ve been practicing enchantments out of that grimoire you purchased for me, and I want to show you my first conjure that I have learned,” I said.

Loki seemed intrigued.

“It’s not a dark enchantment, is it?” he asked warily.

I smiled at him.

“Far from it. Let me show you,” I said.

I lead him to a rather large bush covered in buds that had closed for the day.

“Inside the grimoire was an enchantment that I’m not sure has much purpose, other than for visual pleasure, but I thought I would give it a try,” I spoke.

Loki watched on curiously as I placed my hands over the plant, remembering my errors from practicing on other plants and mentally noting what I should do. I had been successful in my passed three attempts, and had felt confident, but now with Loki watching over my demonstration, I felt nervous. Loki was far more skilled than I was at magic, and I’m sure he would see the flaws in my work. It really was inevitable, but I wanted to prove myself to the master of magic.

“Wait for it,” I said softly, looking up at the sky.

The Asgardian sky was partly cloudy tonight. However, the moon was bright, and I had to wait for the right moment, when the full light of the moon beamed down on the pasture once again. Loki stood patiently. I could feel his eyes on me. I took a deep breath and focused hard on keeping my hands steady as I watched the night sky. A dark cloud that had traveled in front of the moon was fading away, covered white light steadily growing in intensity. Finally, after nearly 15 seconds of waiting, the moon was exposed. I thought the spell in my head, then channeled the moon’s energy through me and focused on the bush.
Suddenly, one by one, the buds popped open, almost happily. As if they wanted to see their good friend, the moon. Each flower was large, each roughly the length of my hand and width of the span of my fingers stretched to their limits. They turned to face the moon, where they would loyally follow it until it disappeared, then close with the rays of the sun.

“Avery, that’s beautiful,” Loki breathed out.

I put my hands down and turned to smile at him. His eyes were locked on the flowers in awe.

“It’s just an enchantment to convert the plant to feed off of the moon’s energy, versus the sun’s. Moon lilies,” I explained.

Loki walked over to the bush and gently cupped his head under a flower, a small smile on his lips.

“Truly beautiful,” he said.

I watched as his slender fingers wrapped around the stem.

“Loki, don’t—“

Loki pulled, popped the flower from the bush. I sighed.

“—pick it.”

Loki smiled at me and waved his hand over the bush, a replacement stem growing quickly, budding, and flowering. I smiled and shook my head. Loki returned it and leaned down to smell the lily. Shock washed over his face. Oh, please don’t let them have a foul odor!

“These smell absolutely wonderful!”

I sighed in relief.

“I hoped they would,” I said.

Loki’s eyes flickered up to me. His smile grew slowly as he walked up to me. He then bowed and gave me the lily. I smiled and took the offered flower. I felt heat rush to my cheeks, so I hid my face by burying my nose in the flower.

“Oh, that does smell good,” I said.

Loki chuckled.

“I can’t wait to see what else you learn from that book,” he said.

I shyly glanced up at him.

“Perhaps you can teach me how to do that trick?” he asked, gesturing to the bush.

I cracked a smile.

“Sure,” I replied.

Loki returned the smile and hooked his arm with mine.

“Walk with me, Ave,” he said.

I obeyed and fell into step with him as we slowly walked back to the palace.

“You know, Mother’s birthday ball is tomorrow night,” he said.

I nodded.

“Yes, I’ve heard,” I said.

“Will you be attending? Father said you were invited last year, but you never showed,” he said.

I laughed.

“Do you not remember? I was sick with a fever and doomed to bed rest,” I said.

Loki smiled.

“Oh yes. I remember. You brewed a potion that did not hold the desired effect,” he teased.

“I’ve never brewed another since,” I said.

Loki laughed.

“Well, seeing as you’re not sick now, has anyone asked if they could escort you?” he asked.

I watched Loki’s face, trying to read him. Why did he want to know?

“Um, not yet. I think I may go on my own. I haven’t decided,” I replied, then smiled wryly at him, “Why? Would you like to escort me?”

Loki had a wild look in his eyes that I knew I should fear. His eyes always gave him away when his smile failed to do so.

“As a matter of fact, I would,” Loki said in mock offense.

I grinned at him.

“Oh, is that so?” I teased.

“I think I would be a better escort than Fandral. I hate the way he looks at you,” he said bitterly.

I stopped walked and took my arm back, putting my hands on my hips.

“Now, Loki, that’s not fair. Fandral has been nothing but kind to me,” I said.

“Avery, he cycles through women like Thor swipes through beasts,” he said pointedly.

I raised an eyebrow at him.

“I knew well of how he is. You, my dear Loki, just want me to dance with you alone,” I said.

I almost wanted to say he was jealous, but that word did not sit well with him.

Loki gave me this smoldering stare that made my voice catch in my throat.

“Would that be so terrible, Ave? Dancing with me?” he asked.

I was taken aback by his question. He meant to sound teasing, but I detected a hint of hurt in his words. I knew, though Loki was not be any means unattractive, that Thor was the focus of the maidens at balls. Loki had the pleasure of dancing with a select few, but he did not charm them like Thor did. I wondered if he thought he was unwanted. Not desirable enough as his older brother was. I knew Loki was graceful on his feet, and undoubtably a skillful dancer. I imagined dancing with Loki would be wonderful.
I let my hands fall to my sides.

“Of course not,” I said bluntly.

Loki’s eyes lit up, a boyish smile appeared on his face.

“Then, would you go with me?” he asked.

I stared at him, feeling cornered by my own fears. Being escorted to a ball by one of the princes of Asgard was a huge honor that any maiden should feel privileged by, but only the richest and most highly regarded maidens were allowed to share a dance with Thor or Loki. I was merely a guest of the palace.

“Loki, this is one of the biggest events of the year in Asgard,” I said.

“I’m aware of that, Avery,” he said lowly.

I ignored him.

“What would people think if they saw you dancing with me and not the daughters of noblemen?” I asked.

Loki’s face fell.

“Avery, I don’t give a damn what others think. Why do you ask such things?” he asked.

I looked down at the lily he picked for me, not being able to meet his gaze. Loki’s hand appeared in my vision. His fingers moved under my chin, tilted my head up. He watched me with worried eyes.

“Do you think yourself unworthy?” he asked.

I shrugged.

“Unworthy to dance with you? No. Unworthy to dance with you at something so special and celebrated? Absolutely. I have no place there,” I said.

Loki’s hand held my shoulder.

“Avery, you are my nearest and dearest friend. You always have a place with me,” he said.

I gave him a shy smile.

“Thank-you,” I whispered.

Loki returned the smiled and lightly kissed my forehead.

“So, would you go to the ball with me tomorrow night?” he asked.

I smiled, unable to contain it.

“Of course, Loki,” I replied.

Loki grinned and took my arm again, resuming our walk to the palace. My spirits picked back up as I twirled the lily around, and I had to break the tension somehow.

“I think you just want to see me in a gown,” I said jokingly.

Loki laughed.

“Please!”

“That’s it. This is your elaborate plan to see me in a gown,” I argued.

Loki rolled his eyes.

“I suppose I’ve been caught,” he said sarcastically.

I laughed at him, but did not fail to notice him hold my arm a little tighter. Curiously, I didn’t mind it.

Queen Frigga’s birthday ball was the most extravagant event I had ever attended, and I had this preconceived notion that everyone would be stiff and uptight, and the whole of the ball would be uncomfortable, but it was far from it. Every one was lively, the music was gorgeous, and everything was beautiful. Everyone looked elegant—unreal, even. Every woman in the throne room, no matter what age, was breathtaking, every man handsome, and every warrior and guard regal. Even the servants were dressed in their best. The only one uncomfortable was me.
Loki knew I was nervous the moment I stepped up to him. He and Thor were to take their dates to dance after the King and Queen danced first, followed by the warriors, and then the rest of the ball attendees. I got strange looks when I walked up to Loki, and he took my hand and bowed, dressed in his freshly polished armor. He defied the custom waltz and simply slow danced with me. No one seemed to care, for their eyes were on Thor and Sif. He made me feel comfortable, and I soon forgot where I was as I held Loki’s hands. We shared friendly comments as he stepped across the ornate, golden floor, but during quiet moments, I felt truly welcome. Like I belonged at his side, and I knew what my heart felt.

***
Asgard
Present Day


Fandral stood at Volstagg’s side on the throne, Volstagg nonchalantly stuffing himself on wine and a boar’s leg so massive, Fandral knew it would take days if he attempted to devour it. Today was their day to be present at the throne while Hogun and Lady Sif dealt with local matters. Fandral had refused to sit in the seat of the throne. He may have been sharing the role of King with Volstagg and Hogun, but in his mind, it remained Loki’s spot, and he was perfectly comfortable with standing. Volstagg, however, relished the throne, and would only get up for short breaks.

“Can you at least act like you’re in a position of power?” Fandral hissed to his friend.

Volstagg looked up at him, bits of food in his beard and a mixture of juice and wine drenching his mustache. Fandral groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose.

“You look ridiculous,” he muttered.

“Speaking of ridiculous!” Volstagg boomed, his cheeks full of meat, “What was that name Avery used to call you?”

Fandral bit his tongue and gritted his teeth, willing himself not to fight with Volstagg, who was taking pleasure in irritating him.

“Fanny,” he said through his teeth.

Volstagg burst out laughing.

“She had Loki saying it, as well,” he said darkly, “Why are we even discussing this? Stuff your face!”

“Oh ho ho! Is dear Fanny upset?” Voltstagg laughed.

“You’re going to think upset!” Fandral hissed.

Volstagg laughed, and would have pressed on, had a guard not burst through the doors. Volstagg and Fandral looked up. The guard marched up to them, stabbed his staff against the floor and stiffly bowed.

“Sires, Hogun requests assistance in the prisons,” he said.

Fandral nodded.

“Right,” he said, then looked to Volstagg, “Do you have your bearings down?”

Volstagg waved him off.

“Of course! Of course! Go on,” he said.

Fandral stepped down the stairs and fled out a side door, the guard flanking him.

In the dungeons, Hogun was pacing the stone floor while a prisoner inside of a cell cackled incessantly. Fandral curled his lip as he peered in.

“What troubles you, Hogun?” he asked.

Hogun looked up at his friend.

“She won’t shut up!” he shouted.

Fandral had to use all of his energy not to laugh. Hogun was never one to get emotional, so this was new for Fandral. However, he felt sympathy for his friend, for the woman’s maniacal laughter hurt his own ears. As if Volstagg had not given him a headache already!

“I can see your nerves are frayed, old friend,” he said, putting a comforting hand on Hogun’s shoulder, “Go relax awhile, maybe join Volstagg or search for Sif. I will take care of the prisoner. Go.”

Hogun nodded his thanks and left quickly. Fandral turned to the window and began to stroll in front of it.

“What amuses you so?” he asked her, hoping to trick her into closing her mouth by using the power of his charm.

The woman rolled her head to look at him, her laughter fading to a grin.

“Why are you here, warrior?” she asked.

“To enforce orders. Were you not told to behave yourself?” he asked.

“Give me a reason to obey,” she said, trying his patience.

Fandral eyed the woman angrily.

“I can do you one better, and give you two. One reason, is so that your sentence will not be lengthened, as you are do for trial with the King in a week’s time. Secondly, for the time being The Warrior’s Three and Lady Sif, I being part of the Three, have been appointed by the King in the position of ruling over Asgard until such time as he and Lady Avery return. Therefore, my word is as good as King Loki’s and I can lengthen your punishment.”

The woman cackled, making Fandral jump in surprise.

“Damn Loki,” she said.

Fandral stared at her in anger.

“Pardon?” he asked.

She growled.

“I said ‘Damn Loki!’ Damn the King and all he stands for. Loki is no King, and neither are you, warrior! You work for the enemy! Him and his wicked little bitch!”

“ENOUGH!” Fandral roared, “You will not speak of Loki that way, nor will you Avery! You know not what you’re saying, and for causing such grief, I will worsen your punishment. Guard!”

A prison guard jogged up to Fandral and bowed.

“See to it that this madwoman is muzzled. Sedate her if you must,” he ordered.

“Of course, sire,” he said.

Fandral bowed, then gave the woman a dark look before exiting the prisons. The guard turned away to fetch a muzzle, leaving the guard that summoned Fandral and followed him behind. The woman looked at him and grinned.

“Raslas,” she spoke, “Is that you? My eyesight is poor in this form.”

The guard bowed.

“It is me, my Lady,” he said.

The woman laughed. The guard’s form morphed into that of a six-foot tall, skeletal form with a glowing orange heart.

“Have you news of the invasion on Midgard. Have those humans paid for Zaish’s murder? Has the planet been conquered?” the woman asked.

“My Lady, our forces were interrupted and defeated. Not a living body left, I’m afraid,” Raslas replied.

The woman stood, her eyes glowing red.

“How in all of Niflheim did that happen? There were thousands of us!” she screeched.

“And now mere hundreds. It would seem that there is a force much smaller than us, and twice as powerful,” he said.

“Who?” she snarled.

Raslas gritted his sharp, gray teeth.

“Magical beings,” he said.

The woman’s eyes glittered.

“Magical, you say? I was not aware of magical humans on Midgard. Raslas, have them captured! We need the power of magic in our world,” she said enthusiastically.

“My Lady, they are not human,” Raslas spoke.

“Then, what in bloody Hel are they?” she growled.

If Raslas could smirk, he would have.

“The King and his Witch,” he replied.

“WHAT?” the woman screamed, “Loki?”

“The same, my Lady,” Raslas replied.

The woman screamed and paced angrily.

“Loki, that puny shit! He must be more powerful than I thought,” she said.

“His Witch is just as powerful,” he said.

“Kill them!” the woman snapped, “No, even better. We need that sort of power. We need a magical core in our race. With Loki’s power, we could be invincible!”

“My Lady, Loki does not possess a natural magical core. His sorcery is learned. However, Gorlith claimed he sensed one in the Witch,” Raslas said.

The woman’s eyes locked with Raslas’ orange ones, stuck in an idea.

“Then this is what we shall do, Raslas. Capture the Witch. We will extract her core and murder her in front of her beloved King. Then, we shall murder Loki in front of all of Asgard. Toss his limp body in the dirt and take Asgard by force. Since Frigga, Loki was the last conjurer. We will be the only race with magic. Raslas, return to Niflheim. I will follow shortly. Let’s restore our numbers and contact the Jotuns. We will take this damn Realm if it requires genocide of the Aesirs. Now go, Raslas.”

“Yes, Lady Ancada,” he said.

With that, Raslas morphed back into the form of the guard and left for Niflheim.

“Hel help this Realm,” she said, a sick smile on her face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! Please comment and don't forget to subscribe!