Status: Inactive for lack of motivation and feedback.

The Witch and the Sorcerer

Confrontations

That night, I spent several hours trying to fall asleep. The guest room I was placed in was just as bland as the room in the Avengers Tower. It wasn’t home. It wasn’t a smelly little farm house. It wasn’t the ultra-plush bed in my chambers at the palace. It sure as hell wasn’t comfortable. It was better than a floor, but it just made me homesick.
I fell asleep some time around midnight, according to the annoying glaring digital clock on the nightstand. Several hours later, I was awoken by the sharp prickling feeling of energy running across my skin. It was a foreign feeling to my body, but not unlike anything I’ve ever felt before. It made the hair on my back stand on end, and my back felt like it had iced over. It was when I heard a piercing shriek from next door did I jump from my bed.

“Shit!” I hissed and tossed over my covers.

I shuffled to my bedroom door and fumbled for the doorknob before opening it and poking my head out to the lit hallway. At the same time, Thor appeared from his bedroom across the hall, armored up with Mjolnir at the ready. Tony came walking sleepily in with a terrified Pepper on his heels.

“What was that noise?” she asked, frightened.

“It sounded like a cat. Honey, do we have a cat?” Tony asked.

“No, Tony,” Pepper replied, her tone a bit distraught, “Did you guys hear that?”

Thor and I nodded.

“What was it?” Tony asked with a yawn.

I slowly shuffled out of my room, wearing a pair of soft shorts and an old t-shirt in place of my armor. I knew there was nothing to be afraid of.

“It sounded like my brother,” Thor said.

“It was,” I groaned.

I gestured for Thor to follow me.

“Is he part cat?” Tony joked.

I crossed my arms as I walked over to Loki’s door.

“No, he just makes that noise,” I replied.

Thor appeared behind me, then cautiously, Tony and Pepper followed suit. As I reached for the doorknob, my skin prickled painfully.

“Tony, you say this is a recent build?” I whispered.

I looked to see the billionaire nod.

“No one died in this room?” I asked.

Now he was confused.

“Um, no. Why?” he asked.

“‘Cause there’s a spirit in here. Guys, stand back,” I said quietly.

Thor, Tony and Pepper backed up. I turned back to the door and pulled the handle down. It didn’t budge, so I cast a spell on it. The door clicked unlocked and I was able to enter.
I poked my head and was instantly hit with paranormal energy. Loki was curled up tightly under his covers, making small cries and shaking. I felt Thor’s massive hand lightly grasp my shoulder as he peered in. I watched sadly as Loki violently twisted over onto his back. His eyes were red, and his cheeks were wet from crying in his sleep. Whatever kind of dream he was having, it was causing him pure misery.
I turned back to Thor, Tony and Pepper and waved them off.

“He’s okay. You guys go back to bed. It’s just a nightmare,” I whispered.

I knew it wasn’t. Whatever was causing him the nightmare was real, and its energy was incredibly strong. They nodded and went back to their rooms, Thor lingering worriedly. I knew he had probably been around Loki to save him and comfort him through many a nightmare as children, but this was different. I just smiled reassuringly at him before slipping into Loki’s room and closing the door.
The energy was beginning to fade, and I’m sure my entry had spooked whatever entity was in here. Loki settled, but the pain was still written on his features, and fresh tears were pouring down his cheeks. I raised my hands in the air, charging it with my magic.

“Be gone,” I said quietly.

My skin calmed, and I could no longer feel the presence of whoever or whatever had visited Loki.
I walked slowly towards the bed and sat on the very edge. It pained me to see Loki this way—so broken and haunted. If anything in life, he deserved a peaceful night’s sleep. Hours to forget memories and restore himself. No matter what he had done, it was still not fair to be in such agony while unconscious. I was not certain whether it was physical, emotional, or perhaps a mixture of both, but it broke my heart to see him this way. I had never seen him at his peak of evil—this peak being his fight for the throne, and not what the Chitauri had set for him. I had never been around him while he was dark, scary, and unforgivable. I could see the aftermath now, but I still could see the man I knew before—the young Prince of Asgard, who loved his mother, somewhat respected others, and took care of those around him, whether friend or battle ally. I knew it was time for a change, at least, for him. Whether I was at his side at the end, dead or living, friend, lover, or foe, I was going to push him to the other side. There was a reason he was still living, and he had to find it, rather than live like this.
I ran my hand over his forehead. His skin was damp with sweat, and his hair was strung everywhere.

“Sweetheart, wake up,” I said softly.

I ran my fingers through his hair, smoothing out the tangles.

“Loki,” I said, a little bit louder this time.

Loki gasped awake. His eyes wheeled around wildly before locking on to me. I smiled calmly and stroked his cheek.

“Ave?” he whispered.

I nodded. Loki bolted up and looked around the room. I assumed he was looking for the presence that had disturbed his sleep. When he saw nothing, a look of pure and utter heartbreak swept across his features, and he broke down and fell sideways into my arms, not unlike a small child falling into their mother’s arms to cry their heart out. Loki did just that. I just held him tightly and kissed the top of his head.

“You’re okay,” I whispered.

Loki rolled onto his back. I moved sideways so he could lay in my lap while I wrapped my arms around his torso and buried my face into his hair. Loki clasped my hands in his and shook with a sob.

“What happened, sweetheart?” I asked.

Loki made an “iff” sound. He made a noise as if to speak, but he just shook his head and choked back a cry. I tightened my arms around him and gently rocked him.

“I could have saved her, Avery,” he said.

It was then I knew what he was talking about. Frigga.

“I know I can’t change the past, but I could have saved her. Instead, I turn on my family and take a dozen wrong turns that I am doomed to always remember.”

Loki sniffed as tears poured freely. I cradled his head and kissed his hairline.

“How can you possibly love someone like me?” he asked.

I looked down to see his eyes staring up at me. Even in the low light, I could see his damp eyelashes, as well as how bloodshot is eyes were.

“A monster?” he whispered.

I sighed and stroked his cheek.

“Because you’re not,” I replied firmly.

Loki just winced and shook his head, casting his glance away from me.

“All of that suffering you had to go through with Thor and Odin, and all that hate you had to feel—sweetheart, that’s over with. All that passion you put into that hate. Can that not be the same as love? I’ve known you for the better part of my life. You held so much love and passion for your family, your magic, and the world around you. Loki, you have such a high capacity for love. Just like Frigga, if not more. If you can be filled with rage, there must be something you love to defend with hatred. Mistakes do not make you a monster, my love. They make you, in the truest sense, you. As the Midgardians say, ‘We make mistakes. It’s what makes us human.’ We are not perfect, whether human, or Aesir, or witch, or Jotun. A series of unfortunate events does not define us. It pushes us. We learn and grow from our mistakes. Have you not changed, Loki? Have you not learned?”

Loki was holding the arm I had clutched to his chest, absently stroking his thumb across my skin and his eyes locking on the window, gears of thought almost visibly turning behind his pupils.

“I have,” he croaked, his voice hoarse from sobbing.

“And now look at where you are. I mean, right now we’re not in the best spot, but look at you now. You are king of Asgard. You’re alive and well. You have your brother by your side, allies with Sif and the Warrior’s Three.”

“And you, my darling,” he added, then kissed my hand.

“Indeed, you do,” I agreed, “These Realms need a strong king. Someone who has, basically, been there, done that. You understand?”

Loki nodded.

“Midgard may fear you. Jotunheim will always hate you, I’m sure. There will always be enemies, but you can gain their trust back. You can save this realm and the next, as well as protect Asgard, and maybe one day bring peace. I know you like to keep shit stirred up,” I said.

Loki smiled at that.

“But I have faith in you. I believe you can help lead us out of any war—any problem—that we may face. I trust you, Loki. I know monsters, and you, my dear, are not one. That’s why I love you. But you must know, even if we were fighting on the opposite side, my wicked side would not let me think twice about morals. Opposing force or not, I will always fight beside you and support you. I may have my doubts about some of your crazier ideas, but don’t think I won’t follow you.”

Loki’s eyes watered. He squeezed his eyelids closed, trying hard and failing to keep the tears in. I wiped them away. Loki raised up and softly kissed me.

“The amount of unshakable loyalty you possess amazes me,” he said softly.

I smiled at him.

“I have always looked up to you, Loki,” I said.

He returned the smile and shifted out of my arms, moving to sit on his knees and face me.

“And I you, my darling. And I promise to fight for you. Make up for the time wasted while I was being foolish and selfish.”

“Killing people and getting caught is not a good start,” I said, eyeing him accusingly.

Loki just smirked.

“I agree that it was not my finest moment, but I promise I will keep all of us from being captured or killed.”

I nodded. Loki cupped my cheek and kissed me deeply. When the kiss, unfortunately, broke, he stared at me for a moment, millions of thoughts passing over his head.

“Stay with me tonight,” he said, “I just…”

I pressed an index finger to his lips and smiled at him. He didn’t have to ask me twice.

***

It was a large room. The ceiling soared high above its occupants’ heads, the dim light giving way to such darkness that it was impossible to judge the ceiling’s location. It was also a round room, with on visible door, no windows, and really no visible purpose. There were six accent lights, all of which installed in the floor for light to beam up the walls. Three were on one side of the door, and three more on the opposite. They were bright, but did nothing to penetrate the blackness above. In the center of the room, or what could be guessed as the center, was a silver metal table and a matching set of chairs. Standing in front of the table, hands clasped behind his back and head hung, was S.H.I.E.L.D.’s director, Nick Fury.
A squeak came from the darkness on the far side of the room. Fury looked up to see nothing, but hear the sound of footsteps thumping against the polished concrete floor. He straightened his posture, trying to make himself look presentable and intimidating.

“Has he been completely disarmed?” a raspy voice asked.

Just then, two people, clothed head-to-toe in black, wearing special bulletproof padding and helmets that masked their faces appeared out of the blackness beyond the table and marched up to Fury.

“He has, sir,” one replied.

A man with a full head of white hair, sharp features, and lanky arms and legs, dressed in a business suit, walked out of the blackness with a smirk on his face. Fury swallowed his nervousness down.

“Check him again,” the man spoke.

One of the masked men grabbed Fury roughly. The Director bucked against him and tried to scramble away so he could smash a fist through the mask, but it was no use. The other man grabbed Fury and quickly frisked him, finding a small switchblade inside a boot. He confiscated it, tossing it onto the table with a clank. The man behind it laughed. The masked men shoved Fury away and marched back over to the man.

“I thought you were instructed to completely disarm at the checkpoint, Director,” he said accusingly.

“Well, I like to stay prepared, Councilman. I missed one weapon. I carry at least 20 on me at a time,” Fury snapped.

“Then you should have counted when you surrendered your weapons,” the Councilman snapped back.

Fury gave the councilman a death glare with his good eye.

“I better get all of them back, too,” he growled.

The councilman chuckled and reached a long finger to the table, scratching at the surface with a fingernail.

“Don’t worry, Director. You will, for you will need them to capture the war criminal. Criminals, I guess I should say. Which reminds me why I summoned you here,” he said.

The councilman looked up at Fury.

“Why isn’t the Asgardian dead?” he asked bluntly.

“He slipped out of our grasp, Councilman,” Fury replied.

“And how does that come to be, Director?” the councilman snapped, “He was an easy capture last time.”

“This time he had help, but he has different plans this time. He didn’t need help escaping now, and he didn’t when he was here last. His plan was to get caught and lead his army to us,” Fury explained.

“And now he has possessed two of your precious Avengers. Escaped right in front of you. His body is supposed to be in our custody, Director!”

“I have my forces searching for him. We are doing everything in our power to locate Loki and bring him down,” Fury explained.

The councilman chuckled and started walking around the table.

“Director, I don’t have time for excuses,” he said.

The councilman snapped his fingers. The masked men ran over to Fury and shoved him up against a wall.

“It was not an excuse!” Fury barked.

The councilman smirked.

“Show Director Fury what we do to liars,” he said to one of the men.

The man produced a blade and jammed it into Fury’s left shoulder. The Director groaned loudly and closed his eyes tightly, fighting desperately through the pain. The masked man ripped the blade out of his shoulder, leaving a sizable tear through Fury’s leather jacket, where beneath, blood began to spill.

“Director, this is your final chance,” said the councilman, whom Fury was beginning to doubt was actually part of the World Council, “If you want to keep your Avengers Initiative, not to mention your job, you will find the criminals and you will bring the Asgardian to us. I want him dead, and intact. If you fail to do so…”

As if on cue, the masked men threw Fury to the ground and began to wail on him, beating him until he was battered, bleeding, and was positive he had a few broken ribs.

“…we will take no mercy,” finished the councilman, “You may see yourself out.”

The councilman and his men disappeared into the darkness, leaving Fury to catch his breath on the cold floor. Fury moved to all fours and spat out a glob of blood and a dislodged tooth. He had never like the World Council. In fact, he hated them with every fiber of his being. However, the deal had been done, and there was little he could do about his current situation. He had no problem with killing Loki, and even his girlfriend, but he trusted Stark. Something was going on. Why had Stark risked his life and freedom to save a war criminal and his girlfriend? Thor was in on it as well. He couldn’t imagine what was going on, but he knew he had to find a way around sending two of his best Avengers to prison. He would be damned if he lost them.

***

It was barely five in the morning when JARVIS woke everyone up, announcing we had 30 minutes before we were at risk of being found. Everyone quickly packed up. Loki set his spells in place for everyone, including a protection spell on Pepper. The poor woman didn’t like Tony leaving, and no matter how many reassurances he gave her, it wasn’t enough to keep the tears at bay. If I were standing in her position, I suppose I would be upset, too.
We huddled in front of the house in a state of confusion and disarray while Tony pulled up in one of his less suspicious and heavily tinted cars. He stepped out and addressed us briefly.

“We gotta get to an airport. Preferably a busy one. If any of us flies, we’ll be caught. We have to take a plane,” Tony announced.

“It would be safest to head out of the city,” Banner said, “Las Vegas is only a few hours from here. We can catch a flight there.”

Tony nodded.

“Are our disguises in place?” he asked Loki.

Loki nodded.

“Good. Bruce, where are we flying?” Tony asked.

Banner placed his bags in the trunk of Tony’s car.

“I have a place we can hide in. Just outside of London,” he replied.

Tony nodded. Loki moved to grasp Thor’s massive arm.

“Brother, listen to me,” he said quietly, “Go with them.”

Thor and I looked at Loki, both of us seeming to share mutual confusion.

“Why? Are you not coming?” Thor asked.

“Just trust me,” Loki replied.

Thor groaned, but reluctantly nodded.

“We will join you once our task is completed,” Loki assured him, then turned to me, “Avery, do not move.”

I looked at him and opened my mouth to speak. Loki pressed his hand to my forehead, and my world spun rapidly as I was yanked off of my feet. I tried to scream, but as soon as I tried, the breath was knocked out of me and I tumbled onto hard, sandy ground. I rolled in the sand and coughed. I rolled onto my side and opened my eyes. I was in the desert, there was no doubt about that. However, everything was rocking and I felt like I was going to pass out. The air rippled beside me and Loki appeared, looking as if he had just walked through a door.

“What the hell just happened?” I asked.

My own voice made my world spin. I groaned and pressed my hands to my eyes.

“Teleportation,” he replied, “Are you alright, my darling?”

I rolled onto my back.

“Just dizzy. You could have warned me,” I complained.

Loki kneeled beside me and stroked cold fingers across my forehead.

“I apologize, love, but we needed to make a quick escape. Here, let me help you,” he said.

Loki offered a hand and I took it. He slipped an arm around me and helped me sit up. My vision steadied and my equilibrium reset. In the distance, still illuminated by streetlights, was a little town…if it could even be considered a town.

“Where are we?” I asked.

Loki looked out at the town.

“New Mexico,” he replied.

I shuddered and snapped my head over to him.

“What business do we have here?” I hissed.

Loki looked at me with a look I knew meant trouble—a look I loved seeing on his face. His eyes darkened evilly and his smirk should have scared the ever living shit out of me, had I not known him.

“It’s not business if you’re having fun,” he said.

I grinned at that. He smiled, showing his perfect teeth and stood. He offered his hand and I took it, standing and dusting my leather off.

“Follow me. Stay light on your toes,” he said.

I nodded. Loki looked towards the town, then took off in a sprint. I followed behind him, managing somehow to keep up with his long strides. We ran to the closest building, which was almost completely made of glass, and ran to a solid wall near the trashcans. Loki almost instantly halted, while I slid up beside him. He looked at me, then pointed up. I nodded in understanding. With a leg up from him, I jumped up and gripped a ledge, then scrambled up onto the roof. Loki pounced effortlessly and rolled across the gravel roof, trying not to make a sound. He recovered quickly and waved me over. I followed closely behind as we lightly treaded across the roof. Loki led me to a skylight and crawled up to it. I got down on my hands and knees and crawled up beside him. He pressed an index finger to his lips, then pointed down through the window.
Inside, I could see a woman scribbling away at a notepad, briefly glancing up in thought before scribbling more notes down. I found it odd that this woman was fully dressed and up so early in the morning. Loki reached an arm out and pushed me back. I scooted backwards and moved onto my knees, balancing on my heels.

“Who is she?” I whispered.

“Jane Foster. Thor’s mortal,” he replied.

I nodded.

“If anyone can help us with the portals, it’s her, but she will not willingly help us. Remember, we are wanted criminals and we are not supposed to be in Midgard in the first place,” he said.

I nodded again.

“I may have saved her life before, but she’s a stupid mortal and she will more than likely call the police on us. However, she will provide us with information, whether she gives it willingly or not. I have no compassion for her. She’s the reason Mother is dead. I could blame Thor, but when it comes down to it, it’s her fault for not helping the Queen. As far as I’m concerned, she is useless and does not deserve to live, but that’s beyond my control. I cannot kill my brother’s loved ones. I do not wish to harm her—“

“Oh, I do. After hearing that, I want to start a fight,” I growled.

Loki held up a hand.

“Patience, love. If she refuses to help us, then we turn on her. Just do not kill her,” he said.

I sighed.

“Can I at least turn her into a turtle or something?” I asked.

Loki smiled and gently held my chin within his fingers.

“I like the way you think, Ave, but not now,” he said.

I nodded.

“So, what should I do if she causes trouble?” I asked.

Loki sighed.

“Things you may have to beg Thor for forgiveness for,” he replied.

I groaned. Loki leaned over and pecked my lips.

“You can play with her a little if need calls for it. For now, let me handle this. When I signal for you, come down through the roof window,” he replied.

“The skylight?” I asked.

Loki gritted his teeth.

“The skylight. I haven’t the patience for Midgardian terminology. Whatever it’s called, blast it out and corner the mortal,” he said.

I smiled.

“Aye, aye, my King,” I said.

Loki smirked, then sprinted across the roof and leapt over the edge. I cast an illusion over the building as a precaution, then looked back down through the skylight. I saw the Foster mortal look up and soundlessly gasp. Damn. I couldn’t hear anything.
I pressed my palms to the glass and with a wordless spell, loosened the bondings and gently lifted the glass out of the frame and set it aside.

“Loki,” she said.

Loki appeared, strolling casually across the floor. He glanced up at me and gave a slight nod. I slipped through the hole in the ceiling and landed on my feet behind her. The Foster woman spun around and gasped. I just grinned at her. She was everything I expected out of Thor’s love interests. Picture perfect and vulnerable. In my opinion, disposable.

“My brother has told you of Avery. Has he not?” Loki said, his voice strong as it echoed throughout the open room.

I shivered. Power—the energy of power—can become a quick addiction. Even experiencing it second hand, I wanted more.

“Um, yeah,” she slowly replied, then spun back to Loki, whipping her hair as she did so, “Listen. You two really shouldn’t be here.”

“We will leave as soon as we get what we want,” Loki said.

His eyes were terrifying. He was staring at Jane with wide eyes and a menacing smirk. He almost looked like a wolf locked on to his prey.
The Foster woman straighten and held her head high. Quite the bold move on her part.

“And if I refuse?” she countered.

Loki narrowed his eyes at her. I snarled. How dare she speak so boldly to him!

“Just because you’re messing around with Thor, you think you have an excuse to act like you are above us? That you can speak down to us like equals?” I hissed.

“Um, excuse me, but I am not ‘messing around’ with Thor. My relationship with him is none of your business!” she snapped.

I laughed.

“Oh, but it is,” I replied, then looked around her to Loki, “May I?”

Loki smiled.

“Play nice.”

I growled and grabbed the mortal woman flying with her across the room and slamming her into the nearest solid wall.

“What you have with Thor is nothing more than a fling, trust me. He has four thousand years to go, where as you maybe have fifty,” I snapped.

“Oh! So you’re jealous?” she asked, thinking her comeback was witty.

“Please! Sweetheart, I have the most powerful sorcerer in Asgard,” I said, pointing a thumb behind me to Loki.

At that, she paled.

“But Thor is a dear friend of mine, and I care for his well-being. Nevertheless, I couldn’t give a damn about you, and if I had my way, I would slay you here and now. However, I couldn’t hurt Thor that way, so thank your lucky stars.”

Tears welled up in the woman’s eyes.

“Then, why are you trying to choke me?” she squeaked out.

“Because, you piss me off, for starters. I can’t stand women like you. Pathetic. Weak. Helpless. Not strong enough to live without a man at your side. It’s your weakness that ruined everything. It’s your fault the Queen is dead, and if Loki would allow it, I wouldn’t let you live to see another day,” I threatened.

I let go of her neck and stomped back over to Loki. I could feel my anger getting out of hand. Rage was boiling through my veins, and I knew I would curse her at any moment. I had to step over to Loki and clear my thoughts.
I walked back to Loki, my back facing the Foster woman. Loki reached a hand up and gently grasped the silver plate on my shoulder.

“Are you alright?” he murmured.

I nodded. He squeezed my shoulder reassuringly.

“There would be no need for threats, had you not been so quick to jump to conclusions,” Loki said sharply, “I swear to you, we mean you no harm. That is, if you refuse to help us.”

“What if I can’t?” she asked.

I bared my teeth at her question. I clenched my fists tightly and fought myself to keep from thinking of the most brutal curses that would end in a satisfying show of blood and guts.

“I’m going to kill her, Loki,” I whispered.

Loki gave my shoulder a tight squeeze.

“Steady, darling,” he said, “Can’t and won’t are too different things. Nevertheless, the future of this planet and our lives hang in the balance of this information. Including Thor’s.”

Tacking on Thor. Nice touch, my dear Loki.

Jane Foster sighed and stepped forward.

“Fine. What information can I give you?” she asked.

At her cooperation, I turned around, feeling a little better.

“You may not be able to give us the information immediately, or at all, but we need you to use your…machinery to track the manifestations of portals,” he said.

Jane narrowed her eyes.

“Portals?” she asked.

“Yes,” Loki replied, “They are appearing all over the Nine Realms, permitting demons entrance from Niflheim. We just recently fought an attack on a beach in New York. It will only be a matter of time before they attack here again and infest Midgard, and soon Asgard if they find a way to breach my defenses. We need you to track the energy, find what it is made of, and report it to either us, Thor, or Tony Stark. Do not report it to S.H.I.E.L.D.”

“Oh, not in a million years,” she said.

“So, will you help us?” I asked.

She looked at me and reluctantly nodded.

“Um, yeah. Yeah, I can try and see what I can do. Do not murder me if I can’t come up with anything,” she said.

“You have my word,” Loki said, “Try as hard as you can. You are the only one we know who can help.”

Jane nodded.

“Um, do you know where the portal is?” she asked.

Loki looked to me for the answer.

“In a the woods outside of Sacramento, California. Just south of the city on the outer edge. I forget the town’s name. Had to move around a lot,” I replied.

Jane nodded.

“I believe I can find it. How do I contact you if I find the information?” she asked.

Loki’s eyes flashed over to a flatscreen television.

“Contact Stark. Or Miss Potts to contact him. No one else,” he replied.

She nodded.

“If that’s not possible, you will have to come find us. With your, what is it, television?” he asked.

Jane and I nodded.

“We may not be so hard to find,” he said.

Jane seemed to understand.

“We were never here,” he said.

Loki took my hand.

“Of course. I will get to work,” she said.

Loki and I bowed our heads before leaving. Outside, the sun had appeared over the horizon, the day beginning.

“What if she spills to someone?” I whispered.

Loki stopped and turned to me. He moved my hair from my shoulders and cupped my jaw in his hands.

“Then you can have first call on what happens to her,” he replied.

I smiled. Loki kissed me.

“Which way is London?” he asked.

“Northeast. Over the Atlantic,” I replied.

Loki nodded.

“Brace yourself.”

I obeyed, and Loki teleported me to a lonely, rainy alleyway in London. He soon appeared beside me. We could hear the distant cars and buses, but as far as the alleyway, we were alone.

“What now?” I asked.

Loki looked around.

“Let’s go.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank-you for reading! Please comment and subscribe!