Status: Inactive for lack of motivation and feedback.

The Witch and the Sorcerer

Bones

A black car drove down the main street of a small town in New Mexico, heading straight for the building at the end of the street, and going completely unnoticed by the woman inside, Dr. Jane Foster, who was currently performing scans, trying to perform her secret work she had been asked to perform by Loki and Avery. However, her current company was making concentration difficult. Darcy Lewis, her good friend and intern, was speaking incessantly of her date the night before with her own intern, then went on about Thor, asking when he was returning and if Jane would ask him to bring the blonde warrior who had flirted with her with him. Jane had passed off the request countless times, knowing it was merely a fleeting thought that passed across the younger woman’s lips, and she knew Darcy would forget all about it once her boyfriend entered the room, or Dr. Selvig set out a game plan for the day. However, Dr. Selvig was working abroad, so Jane was stuck with a coffee-fueled intern and her own nagging thoughts, which somehow managed to drown out Darcy’s voice.
Her mind was on Thor. The usual questions were there. Where was he now? What was he doing? When would he return? Then there were the questions at hand. Questions about the portals. About Loki and Avery. She knew of Loki’s ascension to the throne, and oddly enough, she found that she was quite at ease with the news. His performance into tricking her into thinking he had betrayed Thor in order to get the Aether released from her, then shielding her every chance he could and saving Thor’s life proved to her that he was trustworthy and that he knew what he was doing. She knew to trust him if Thor trusted him, but his treatment towards her on their last confrontation had disturbed her.
If it was not for Thor, Loki would have killed her. He would have let Avery, who seemed to be not only his sidekick, but some sort of lover as well, bat her around and turn her into her personal play-thing until she finally died. She seemed to be just as wicked as the Trickster God, and seemed to be in her element around Loki. Thor had spoken only good things of the woman, but she still scared Jane. What was more was what she said. She knew she was probably very good friends with both Asgardian brothers, and had said that she cared for Thor, so Jane didn’t have to worry much about harming coming to him, but what Avery had said about her relationship with the God of Thunder that had struck a chord with her.
She was aware of Thor’s habits with women. He had admitted to her that he had been with, as he put it, “many a maiden,” but he was honest with her, and seemed to be very passionate about their relationship, but what did she really mean to him? He obviously cared about her, for he had saved her life, but so had Loki, and he didn’t give a damn about her. He had done it for Thor. What was she compared to the other women Thor could have in his life? Avery had been spot on about her being weak. Pathetic was the correct term. She had been around Sif, who had a body most women would love to have. She was strong, regal, beautiful. No doubt admired. And then of course there was Frigga. Older than Sif, sure, but just as agile and seemingly just as strong. Hell, the Queen could have killed her in one punch. What did Thor see in her—a pathetic mortal?
She was sure it was brains and kindness, as well as the possible pity, and companionship. How far do those traits stretch with an Asgardian god? Apparently fifty years, according to Avery.
Jane sighed. She didn’t have any means to doubt Thor, but when she thought about it, he did leave for long periods of time, and had never seemed too eager to get back to her. He had not returned long before Loki had summoned him this most recent time. What if this really was a fling? What kind of life could she live with a man who would look the same until her death? Surely he would move on. He may never give up protecting Midgard, for this was his birthplace, but she new he would most likely meet an Asgardian woman who could warm his heart, marry her, raise a family. Forget his little fling with a mortal on Midgard. It almost seemed as if he had started to forget her. Her boring little life in New Mexico, which even by human standards, was bland and far from busy. She wondered if maybe it was time to call it off with Thor. Remain good friends, but leave each other the freedom to live they were meant to. It was hard enough not having the luxury to date when she was in such a long distance relationship, and Darcy’s romantic tales of movie nights and stargazing were such a cruel tease. Movies bore Thor, for he was forced to sit still for more than half an hour, and stargazing made him homesick, for the constellations above Earth were not the same as the brilliant night sky above Asgard.
She began to get angry. Angry at herself and Thor. Why was she wasting her time? Furthermore, why was he wasting his time? He was only being nice to her to make her happy, but she knew to some extent he was unhappy. If being in a relationship with her bothered him so much, why didn’t he just tell her to beat it? Hell, why hadn’t he said it when his mother died? It was her fault she was dead. And what was more, was that he still wanted to run wild with the warriors of Asgard, and Loki’s name was in every sentence that came out of his mouth. Loki is doing this. I wonder if Loki is going to do this. You should have seen Loki do this. Loki this. Loki that. I want to speak with Loki about this one thing. We had so much fun doing it. Maybe Loki and I could take Avery and The Warrior’s Three to Whateverheim to do this really cool thing without her presence because Loki is cool like that. Loki. Loki. Loki! What the hell was so great but that insufferable, evil, awful little twerp? Tall, powerful, blood-thirsty twerp!

“That jerk,” Jane growled under her breath.

Darcy was busy laughing at a joke she made when Jane spoke.

“What?” she asked.

Jane shuddered and looked up at her friend.

“Oh! Um, nothing. Sorry. You were saying?”

Darcy bit her lip, her eyes lighting up at the opportunity to pick Jane’s mind.

“Nope. Tell me. Who’s a jerk? Want me to beat ‘em up, ‘cause I can totally knock a guy out. Believe me!”

“No! Darcy, just…it’s nothing. Just…okay, can I ask you something?” she asked.

Darcy looked intrigued.

“Fire away,” she said.

“Well, it’s more of a rant,” Jane said, “Is it just me, or is it when two brothers are close, they drop their girlfriends to go goof off with their brothers and guy friends?”

“Nah, they always do that. It’s part of the bro-code,” Darcy replied, waving Jane off.

“Yeah, but it seems like Thor is spending more and more time with Loki. And used to, he’d tell me what they’re doing. Whether it was some sort of meeting, or Avery,” she went on.

Darcy narrowed her eyes.

“Avery? Who’s Avery?” she asked.

It was Jane’s turn to wave Darcy off.

“No one. Just Loki’s girlfriend,” she said, regretting she even brought up the name.

Darcy’s eyes widened and she slammed her hands down excitedly on the table.

“Whoa! No shit? Loki has a girlfriend?” she exclaimed.

Jane closed her eyes and groaned.

“She’s an old friend of his,” she replied, not sure why she was suddenly defending the woman who nearly choked her to death, “Apparently this relationship has been developing for a long time. It’s whatever. She was a friend of Thor’s family for a long time and Loki finally nabbed her up or whatever.”

Darcy nodded.

“I kind of can’t believe he has a girlfriend now that I think about it.”

Darcy snorted and watched a pair of birds fly by outside.

“Meh. Can’t blame her,” she said with a shrug.

Jane shot her friend a concerned look.

“What?” Darcy squeaked, “All of those Asgardians are freakin’ handsome!”

Jane rolled her eyes.

“I’m just worried Thor is up to something with Loki. He’s been really secretive with me, and usually he’s very open. I think something’s up,” she said.

“Hope he isn’t cheating on you or something,” Darcy said.

Jane’s eyes widened.

“Loki probably found him some woman and they could be hooking up or something,” Darcy went on.

“Darcy, that’s—“

They were interrupted by a knock at the door. The two women turned their heads to see three dark figures standing at the door.

“Oh, shit,” Darcy blurted out.

Jane quickly slammed her laptop closed and stood to go open the door, Darcy trailing closely behind her. Jane opened the glass door to see two men and a woman. One man was tall, blonde, wearing a black rain jacket, plaid shirt, and khaki pants that didn’t seem to go with a man who looked so young. The next man was clad in all black, including his sunglasses. The woman standing next to him was wearing tight black jeans, boots, and a green shirt over a black camisole, which contrasted drastically with her flaming red hair.

“Miss Foster?” the man in the sunglasses asked.

“Yeah?” Jane asked.

“Miss Foster,” the woman spoke, “I’m Agent Romanoff, and this is Agent Barton, and our colleague, Mr. Steven Rogers. We’re here on behalf of S.H.I.E.L.D.”

Jane instantly became defensive.

“Okay, look. If you guys have come to confiscate more of my work, I’m going to need to see a search warrant,” she said.

“We aren’t here to take any of your stuff, ma’am,” Rogers said politely.

“We’re just here to ask you a few questions,” Barton said, “May we come in?”

Jane sighed and allowed them access.

“Sure,” she said with a sigh.

Darcy’s eye were glued to Rogers, and as he took the door from Jane, trying to be a gentleman, she pointed a finger at him and gasped.

“Holy…you’re Captain America, aren’t you?” she asked.

Rogers was caught off guard for a moment, but recovered quickly and flashed the young intern a smile.

“Yes, ma’am,” he replied.

“Ha! I knew it was you!” she exclaimed.

Jane grabbed Darcy.

“Hush!” she hissed to her, then turned to Rogers, “I’m sorry. She tends to get a little starstruck. You’ll have to excuse her.”

“I do not!” Darcy hissed.

“Darcy, hush!”

“It’s perfectly alright, Miss Foster. I’m used to it,” Rogers replied.

Agent Romanoff turned to Jane.

“If you don’t mind, Miss Foster,” she said, “we would like to speak with you in private.”

Darcy held her hands up in surrender.

“I get it,” she said, “I’ll be on the roof if you need me, Jane.”

Jane nodded and thanked her intern before turning back to the three Avengers.

“Go ahead and make yourselves comfortable,” she said.

They gave her stiff nods and seated themselves around the table. Jane quickly took her seat where her laptop was placed. She didn’t want one of them to see what she had been working on.

“We apologize if this comes as an inconvenience, Miss Foster, but it really couldn’t wait,” Barton said.

Jane nervously pushed a strand of hair behind her ear.

“It’s no problem. Really. What can I help you guys with?” she asked.

“Early this morning, a pair of wanted criminals were photographed in front of this building at 6:20 a.m. We were wondering if you happened to see them, as I’m sure you know of them,” Romanoff said.

Jane tried to keep a calm expression, but on the inside, she began to panic.

“Loki Laufeyson and Avery Dupont. Both Asgardians. I’m sure you have met Loki through Thor,” Barton said.

Jane cleared her throat and nodded.

“Yes, I, um, know of both of them. Did you say wanted criminals?” she asked, trying to deflect the attention.

“Yes, ma’am,” Rogers spoke up, “We believe they are behind another attempt at taking over the planet. Thor and Tony Stark are also wanted for assisting Loki’s escape several days ago.”

Jane’s eyes widened.

“Thor? What?”

“Loki has been convicted of murdering three men in Los Angeles, California last week. He was caught after a woman by the name of Courtney Baars. She claimed Loki attacked her and a man she was with and slit the man’s throat before disappearing. Several days later, he and Dupont appeared during a fight the Avengers were participating in with an alien race that Loki was supposed to identify for us. However, we believe Thor is somehow behind Loki not revealing what the aliens are. He was very suspicious when confronted about it. Loki and Dupont claimed they were here to help us, but when we told of what Loki had done in L.A., S.H.I.E.L.D. tried to arrest him. Dupont, Stark, and Thor helped Loki escape, and they all seem to be working to keep Loki safe. Dr. Bruce Banner has also disappeared. We think he may be helping,” Romanoff explained.

The information was difficult for Jane to process.

“Thor is siding with Loki?” she asked.

The Agents and the Captain nodded.

“We have means to believe that 100% true, Miss Foster,” Barton said.

“When we captured Loki the first time he arrived on Earth, Thor defended his evil deeds as, well, as simple behavioral issues that he thought we should overlook,” Romanoff went on, “He does not seem to care about this planet and its people. He is helping Loki seek revenge on it. What we would like to know is if you saw Loki or Dupont.”

Jane began to piece everything together in her mind. The secrecy. Always defending Loki. Speaking of Loki 24/7. Of course he was in on this! She didn’t mean a damn thing to him this entire time. It was always about his crazed brother.
In a brief moment of anger and betrayal, Jane spilled her information to the Avengers.

“I spoke with him and Avery. They requested for me to trace readings on portals. I assume to either hide them or bring in more aliens. One in particular in Sacramento, California. I can tell you what I know,” she said.

The Avengers grew intrigued. Agent Romanoff stood and walked over to Jane as she opened her laptop.

“Tell me everything you know,” she ordered.

Jane smiled.

With pleasure,” she thought.

***
Asgard

Fandral stormed into the dungeons. Broken glass littered the floor, the bodies of guards were left mangled. One had been gutted and left inside the empty cell. The surrounding prisoners were in a happy frenzy.

“It’s in here, sire,” a guard said.

Fandral’s boots crunched over broken glass as he entered the cell. Inside, blood stained the stark white walls. Fandral blanched as he read the letters written in the blood of the gutted guard.

“LONG LIVE THE KING”

“She called herself Lady Ancada. Of Helheim. As soon as she said it, a guard shifted into a demon and broke the glass, allowing her escape. She claimed that these Realms would be hers as she sucked the souls out of several surrounding guards. She became younger with each harvest, my Lord.”

Fandral let out a shaky breath.

“Succubus,” he whispered, “Where did she go?”

“I know not, sire. She did not say. She simply retreated. Should the King be alerted?” the guard asked.

Fandral shook his head, still in shock. He quite honestly had no idea what to do.

“Sire!” another guard called from the doorway.

Fandral and the guard he had been speaking with looked up to see a breathless guard. He bowed before Fandral before speaking.

“Sire, the Warrior Volstagg and Lady Sif have returned from Vanaheim with urgent news,” he said.

Fandral nodded.

“Right. Okay, I want this mess cleared and that cell repaired. Remove all of the bodies and prepare them for a funeral. I want soldiers searching every inch of Asgard for the prisoner,” he ordered.

The guards bowed and set to work. Fandral turned on his heel and stormed back out of the dungeons and made his way to the throne room where Volstagg and Sif were most likely waiting. He was grateful that the walk between the dungeons and the throne room was a long one. It gave him time to be with his thoughts for once. He did not like serving the role as king. As honorable as it was, it was beginning to take a toll on his nerves—and Fandral never lost his composure. He had to remind himself that he was doing it for Asgard, and as a favor to a friend while he defended them on Midgard. Regardless of Loki being the King, he would do anything for Loki if asked. They were allies. Friends. At the moment, he just wished it was not something so heavy on his shoulders.
He felt like he had let Loki down. A prisoner, one that was more than just a mouthy servant, had broken out of prison. The only person who had the power to break the glass of the the cells was Thor wielding Mjolnir. He was certain Loki had some form of power to break the glass as well. He remembered helping Thor break Loki out of prison. Thor cracked the glass with Mjolnir, and Loki kicked in the barrier hard enough to send glass into the opposite stone columns. It took a tremendous amount of power to break out of the Asgardian prisons, and knowing that this woman had done it so effortlessly, it scared him. A succubus and her demon companion were on the loose, and Loki was in serious danger. This demon woman seemed crazed enough to do whatever it would take to bring Loki to his knees. He feared Thor and Avery were in danger as well, and he would never forgive himself if either of them were injured or killed because he and his friends didn’t maintain strong enough security in the prisons.
Fandral recalled the times before the war with Jotunheim. His chats with Loki during dinner, the laughs shared, the friendly banter during sparing matches in the Asgardian forests. The games played as children with Thor. The countless attacks they had taken for one another. Loki had never been one to let people close to him, but next to Thor, Fandral had shared more with the God of Mischief than the remaining Warrior’s Three and Sif. He had also become close with Avery, and even though Loki was extremely protective (though, Fandral could not blame him), he had the privilege of befriending the young witch and quickly made a sparring partner—and unfortunately, developed a crush in the meantime.
Fandral had developed a solid friendship with the dark sorceress over the years. She, Loki, and himself spent many an hour of fun and troublemaking together, but as the years went by, his heart tugged him towards Avery, and she often appeared in his dreams. Fandral knew better. Oh, he knew better than to go that route. Wooing Avery was no easy task, as several ill-timed flirtatious comments had resulted in sharp slaps to the face, a few being from Loki himself. He held better relationships with weaker maidens—ones who didn’t share a mind similar to the Trickster prince of Asgard. Yet, he still daydreamed.
He knew Avery was completely off-limits to him. He knew Loki loved her. He had always known that. And he knew Avery loved him. Even before she knew herself, it seemed. She had never told anyone, but Loki had told him and Thor. He never said anything further than admitting that he loved her, but Fandral knew almost immediately that the feelings between two magicians was mutual. He never experienced true love like his friends had, but he knew it when he saw it. He saw it blossom between his two friends, and he saw it in himself. He kept telling himself that it was a worthless thing to be dwelling upon day in and out, but ever since Avery’s return, his mind was on her constantly, and he cherished the precious moments he got to speak with her, much less see her. He knew if Loki ever wronged her, he would be there for her, and would most likely beat the life out of Loki. Not because he was prepared to woo her and steal her out from Loki’s nose, but because he loved her, and knew she was special, and for Loki to do something stupid enough to lose her was grounds enough for Fandral to knock some sense into his friend, King or not. If their relationship did not last, he would make sure he was there for the hurt one.
Inside the throne room, Volstagg and Sif rushed him, scaring him out of his thoughts.

“By the Nine! Must you two stampede a shaken man?” he snapped.

Volstagg clapped a massive hand on the smaller man’s shoulder.

“My good friend, we apologize. We were not thinking,” he said kindly.

Fandral rolled his eyes.

“Clearly!”

“Fandral, please,” Sif said, her brown eyes pleading with him, “We know what you’ve seen was disturbing. Forgive us for being so heartless.”

Fandral nodded and waved her off.

“You are forgiven. What news have you for me?” he asked.

Volstagg and Sif exchanged anxious glances.

“The demons Thor spoke of,” Sif began, “The ones attacking Midgard.”

“They just led an attack on Vanaheim. We were nearly powerless against them,” Volstagg added.

“And it wasn’t just demons, Fandral,” Sif said, her words trembling.

Fandral felt his blood run cold.

“What more?” he asked.

Volstagg cleared his throat.

“Frost Giants. Lowly ones. I would guess the lowest before being considered unworthy runts.”

Fandral cut his eyes at the taller, bearded man, the cutdown towards Loki not going unnoticed, and certainly not ignored.

“I will not hear such out of your mouth, Volstagg,” Fandral hissed venomously.

Volstagg nodded.

“I apologize,” he said.

Sif grabbed Volstagg and Fandral’s arms.

“Boys, please! What are we going to do about this attack? She we summon Loki?”

Fandral shook his head.

“We must take matters into our own hands. I’m sure you have heard news of the succubus we have running wild,” he said bitterly.

The warriors nodded.

“Aye, we have,” Volstagg replied.

“I have troops searching the Realm for her. In the meantime, we need to travel to Niflheim. That is where the demons are from, yes?”

Sif nodded.

“I have a hunch that a certain giantess is behind this,” he said.

Sif’s eyebrows knitted together.

“Hela?” she asked, confused, “Fandral, we’ve had our differences with her, but I highly doubt she would wage attacks like this. She normally keeps to herself.”

“All the more reason to investigate. I doubt she has anything to do with the succubus, but in any case, it could not hurt. She may be able to help us. Perhaps she can be bargained with,” Fandral said, and began to move back towards the door to leave.

Volstagg laughed.

“Oh, that is doubtful, my friend,” he chortled.

Fandral sighed.

“We have to do something. We cannot leave Asgard in the mess it is when Loki returns. He’ll have our heads,” he said.

“I suppose you’re right,” Volstagg replied gruffly.

“Where might Hogun be?” he asked.

“He should be returning any time now,” Sif replied.

Fandral nodded.

“You two prepare for travel. I will alert a guard to summon Loki is neither Hogun or ourselves return within the hour. Dress warmly, my friends. We’re going to Niflheim,” he said, a bit of excitement in his words.

At the mention of a challenge, Sif and Volstagg smiled and parted.

The warriors joined at the Observatory. Heimdall wished them well, and sent them on their way.
Niflheim. A cold, mountainous land ruled by the Goddess of the Dead, Hela. She was a sight to behold. Seven feet tall, her true form disguised by her cloak she wore. She cared for the dead, and acted as a decider for the souls that came to her. She chose when a being’s time was up. She held great power, and in the past, had caused problems with Thor and the Warrior’s Three. However, in recent years, she had been quiet. Perhaps it had been due to the amount of dead coming in, but it was assumed that the Goddess was sitting on her throne, amused by the events taking place between the royal princes. Maybe she had been quietly plotting all along. There was only one way to find out.
Fandral, Volstagg, and Sif landed on the dirt floor of Niflheim. Surrounding them was a vast plain of dry, dead grass, pathetic shrubbery, and stripped trees. The land was dark and barren, and the only light was that on the horizon, a reflection of from the sunlight of Midgard. The sky was purplish-brown that gradually swirled into blackness high in the sky. There were no stars, nor were there clouds. Just a faint cast of light from Midgard, and the ever looming presence of death. The warriors could not help but feel uneasy as they looked around. Their mortality was being tested.

“I never want to end up here,” Sif spoke softly.

Fandral shifted uneasily. A feeling of doom surrounded the warriors.

“We must move,” Volstagg said, “The sooner we speak with Hela, the sooner we can leave. The energy here is sickening.”

Sif and Fandral nodded.

“Which way to the castle?” Fandral asked.

Volstagg looked up at the mountains beyond. As he did so, he frowned.

“Hmm. Strange,” he commented, “The High Tower used to be visible from here.”

Fandral’s lips twitched into a small smirk.

“Perhaps Hela remodeled,” he joked.

Sif grasped Fandral’s forearm, her eyes glued to the mountain range.

“Oh, Fandral, come now!” Volstagg said playfully.

“Stop it! Both of you! I think I see smoke,” Sif said.

Fandral and Volstagg’s faces fell as the gazed upon the mountains. A plume of smoke rose over the peaks and disappeared into the dark sky.

“Let’s go!” Fandral exclaimed.

With that, the warriors sprinted across the Niflheim plain and into the steep paths that led to the Castle of Hela. They followed the paths staked with skulls until they reached the top. Breathless from running and the high altitude, Volstagg had to lean on one knee to avoid collapse. Fandral stopped next to him and put a hand on his friend’s shoulder.

“I’m alright,” Volstagg assured him.

Sif looked out upon the world in front of her. Smoke billowed to the sky, dead creatures lay around, once servants of the Goddess of Death. Spirits drifted around the foundation of what once was the ominous structure and home of Hela. It now lay in ruins.

“Damn,” she whispered.

Fandral and Volstagg looked up to see the smoking rubble.

“It’s gone,” Volstagg said.

Fandral gripped the warrior’s arm and helped him back up.

“This is not a good sign,” Fandral spoke, stepping up to Sif.

“We must find Hela,” she said, swallowing down her fear.

A spirit from on high swooped down and landed in front of the warriors. The three jumped and slowly moved away from the glowing entity. The spirit resembled an old man, withered and frail. He looked upon them with glowing white eyes.

“Asgardians?” he whispered.

The warriors slowly nodded. The man bowed his head in respect and pointed to a high pile of rubble. A skeletal hand was poking out of the rock.
Fandral was the first to run. Sif and Volstagg quickly followed after as he bolted to the pile.

“Get this rubbish off of her!” he shouted.

Sif and Volstagg helped heave the heavy rock and debris off of the Goddess. They worked quickly to reveal the top half of the seven foot giantess. Upon revealing her, they found her sullen, bleeding, and unconscious. Volstagg gagged, her decomposed half making him nauseous.

“Control yourself!” Fandral hissed.

Sif peered over Fandral’s shoulder as he leaned over Hela.

“Is she dead?” Sif asked.

Fandral pressed his hand to the living side of her neck. Unfortunately, there was no pulse. Fandral shook his head. Volstagg climbed back down from the pile and wretched. Sif and Fandral cringed. Volstagg assured them it was merely altitude sickness.

“Who could have done this?” Sif asked.

“The only being so bold as to dare do something like this,” Fandral replied bitterly.

“The succubus?” she asked.

Fandral nodded and looked up at his companion.

“What better way to gain strength than take the soul of one of the most powerful Goddesses in the Nine Realms?” he asked.

Sif nodded understandingly. Fandral looked upon the body of the fallen Goddess, a small amount of sadness beginning to grow.

“But why?” Sif asked.

“To get what she so desires,” Fandral replied, “On the wall of her cell, she wrote ‘Long live the King’ with the blood of a gutted guard. She desires Loki’s death. She seeks to weaken him. What more effective way to do so than to kill those he cares about? Leave him with nothing left to live for and begging for death.”

Sif didn’t reply. Volstagg appeared beside, looking tired, but not so green.

“We need to take her back to Asgard,” Fandral said.

“What?” Sif exclaimed.

“Are you mad?” Volstagg asked.

“She needs a proper funeral!” Fandral argued.

Sif sighed.

“Fandral, we can’t. We can cremate her here,” she said.

“She is his child, Sif!” Fandral barked.

He jumped to his feet and spun around to face the Goddess of War.

“We need to take her back to Asgard,” he said, taking a deep breath to calm his outrage.

“Fandral, what will the Asgardians say?” she asked, “It is not a good omen to see the body of a deity of Death in Asgard.”

“She was his only daughter, Sif,” Fandral said through gritted teeth, “Sure they had their differences as she grew older, but Loki still loved her. You know how he is. He has always been a good father to his children. This will crush him. The least we can do is preserve the body until his return so he can have a chance to say his goodbyes.”

Sif sighed and looked upon the giantess. Fandral turned back to Hela and kneeled beside her.

“Wouldn’t you want to say goodbye to your children?” he asked Sif.

Sif sighed.

“I would,” Volstagg said, “I don’t know what I would do if I lost my family. My children are everything to me.”

Fandral gave his friend a soft smile.

“You see, Sif? We must return her to her father,” he said.

Sif nodded.

“Alright,” she said.

Fandral looked to Volstagg.

“Volstagg, return to Asgard and have some sort of carriage and covering brought to the Observatory. Have the corridors and streets of Asgard cleared. Hela mustn’t been seen,” he said.

Volstagg nodded.

“What will be my excuse for such an odd request?” he asked.

Fandral waved his hand.

“Some sort of drill. Just make sure we can conceal Hela,” he said.

Volstagg nodded and turned to return to the Bifrost.

“Help me expose her completely, Sif,” Fandral said.

Sif nodded and she helped Fandral pull the rest of the stone and the debris from the Goddess’s body. Once fully uncovered, they spent a few quiet moments gazing upon Loki’s daughter.

“I don’t want to know the pain he’s going to be in,” Sif said.

Fandral nodded.

“We are going to have to find the rest of his children and try our best to keep them safe. I feel Hela’s siblings are next, and then Avery and Thor. That, pardon my language, but wench is going to destroy Loki from the inside out. One could say that he deserves it, but I’ll be damned if it happens under my watch. I don’t want to lose anyone else in this.”

“Neither do I,” Sif agreed.

Fandral leaned back down to the body and took Hela’s healthy hand.

“Open the Bifrost, Heimdall.”

The Bifrost opened wide. Fandral grasped Hela’s cold hand tightly. I scary thought passed through his mind. If Lady Ancada could kill the powerful Goddess of Death so quickly, then Avery had no chance. Neither did Thor or Loki. He vowed then, looking upon the face of Loki’s daughter, that he would devote himself to keep his friends safe. Anything length. Any risk. He would take it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank-you for reading! Please comment and subscribe!