Status: Inactive for lack of motivation and feedback.

The Witch and the Sorcerer

Once A Hero

The next morning, Loki awoke early and prepared to finish his quest. Outside, the storm settled, and new fallen snow lay thickly over Jotunheim. Loki dressed himself, then fed his steed before brewing another pot of healing tea. The woman was still asleep under the furs, and she seemed to be resting more peacefully. Loki felt her cheeks and forehead, trying to detect a high temperature. However, the fever had broken. He was relieved, but it would soon return if he did not get her proper treatment in Asgard. As much as he hated it, he would have to return this night, crystal or not.
Loki woke the sleeping woman and made her drink the tea, which was laced with a sleeping draught to help her heal. Her organs needed rest and time to heal, especially before enduring the dizzying trip to the Bifrost.
Loki gently shook the woman awake and helped her sit up.

“Where am I?” she croaked.

“Nevermind,” Loki replied, “Just drink.”

She sipped most of the tea from the ladle before the draught kicked in and she fell unconscious again. Loki tucked her back into the warmth of the furs, then placed enchantments over her and the cave so she would remain safe while he was absent. Once the charms and spells were in place, Loki took his horse and set out into the snowy mountains of Jotunheim one more time.

***

“Bring her in here. Quickly,” Frigga, Queen of Asgard, spoke urgently to the guards.

The guards brought forth a limp shaking body of a young woman, no more than 16 years old. Nurses surrounded the queen and the young woman, who had been placed on a bed, a young prince watching nervously nearby.

“My Lady, I fear she will not make it. Her body is much too weak,” one maiden said.

Frigga shook her head.

“There is always a way,” she said.

“But she is no more than a mortal,” the nurse argued.

Frigga held up a hand to silence the younger woman.

“Enough. I want all of you out of this room. Immediately,” she ordered.

The nurses exchanged unsure glances before turning away and exiting the room.

“Except you, my son,” Frigga spoke up.

The young man halted and turned to his mother.

“Come here, Loki,” she said gently.

Loki stepped towards the bed and the wounded woman.

“What do you sense, Loki?” she asked, holding the woman’s hand.

Loki squinted as he looked down at her.

“Death,” he replied.

Frigga nodded.

“But, what else?” she pushed on.

Loki was confused. Frigga gestured for Loki to raise his hand. The young prince obeyed and let his mother place his hand on the woman’s chest. He felt a jolt of energy course up his arm. His eyes widened, and he looked fearfully to his mother.

“Do you feel that?” she asked.

Loki nodded.

“That is magic,” he replied.

Frigga smiled and nodded.

“Is she like you, Mother?” he asked.

Frigga nodded and ran a hand over a bleeding wound, stopping the bleeding and sealing it.

“In most ways,” she replied.

Loki swallowed. He looked down at the dying woman and felt a strange urge. This young woman was like his mother, having an affinity for magic. In being like his mother, she was also like him. He felt a connection to her, and he suddenly did not want her to die.

“Can you help her, Mother? Can we save her?” he asked.

Frigga smiled warmly at her son.

“Yes, but this magic is not magic I would recommend you using, Loki. Your father will not be too fond of what I am going to do, but it is our only chance in saving her life.”

Loki nodded. Frigga began the ritual on the girl, using spells frowned upon in Asgard, healing the young woman and keeping her alive. Loki watched in awe as his mother recited words in an ancient language, only some of which he could understand.
When the ritual was complete, the woman was moved to empty guest chambers to rest and heal.

“Loki,” Frigga said as she set a goblet and pitcher of water beside the bed.

“Yes, Mother?” Loki asked.

Frigga sat on the edge of the bed and wiped a cool, wet cloth across the woman’s forehead.

“I would have not done what I did, had I not sensed that this soul was destined for great things. You cannot change fate, my son. Performing a ritual to turn a mortal immortal is forbidden. However, I cannot let someone with this special gift die so soon in life,” she explained.

Loki nodded understandingly.

“What will become of her?” he asked.

Frigga sighed.

“That is for the universe to decide. For now, she is a guest here. We will decide later if she should return to Midgard, or wait until a safer time. Living in new lands of judgement is not a life for a young woman. Being of magic is no sin, but to be so cruel and burn a witch is.”

Loki nodded.

“So Thor was right to bring her here?” he inquired.

Frigga nodded and wiped the woman’s cheek.

“He felt the need to save her too,” she said.

She then turned and smiled at her son.

“She may make a loyal companion for you. A friend to go to when Thor is away,” she said.

Loki would not let his mother see it, but he was intrigued. Another magical person his age, who may or may not understand him better than Thor? This woman did not know Loki. How mischievous he was. How his father treated him like a step-son. How he was thrown into the shadow of his older brother. How, though thought of as a prince, he was an outcast. She knew none of that, and though Loki would rather spend time on his own, he quickly became accustomed to the idea of having another person to perform magic with. Especially someone with different skills.

“I suppose, as long as she is a guest, she would need company,” Loki surmised.

Frigga smiled and nodded. She stood and placed the now warm cloth on the side table.

“We will let her rest now. I will have servants tending to her and guards protecting these chambers. Loki, I would like you to see to it that her needs are met. See that her food is coming regularly, acquaint yourself. Make sure she is comfortable,” she said.

Loki looked from the woman to his mother.

“What of my duties?” he asked.

“I will see they are completed. Come. Leave her to rest. In the morning, we will return to see if she is well,” Frigga replied.

Loki bowed his head, then the two strode across the room, where a guard opened the chamber doors and allowed the two to exit before he closed the doors behind him.

The next morning, Frigga and Loki returned to the woman’s chambers. As the doors opened, Thor came running over, his footsteps heard throughout the palace.

“How is she?” Thor asked, “Did she suffer?”

“She is well, Thor. Loki and I are seeing that she is tended to. Please go join the others for breakfast,” Frigga said.

Thor bowed respectfully and turned away, leaving Frigga and Loki to the chambers. Upon entering, a servant was leaving with a half-empty tray of breakfast. Loki noticed this, and when he looked to the woman in the bed, he nearly jumped in surprise. The previous night, she had been a pale, bleeding, and decrepit mess. She had been horribly malnourished, and Frigga noticed marks of torture on her torso. She did not tell Loki, however. Now, she looked reborn. Her skin was clear and the color of health. Her hair was full of body and shined in the firelight. Her eyes even shined, a shade of sea foam blue. Loki was stunned.

“Good morning,” Frigga said softly, “Did you sleep well?”

The woman was clearly confused.

“Where am I?” she asked.

Frigga sat beside her on the bed. Loki timidly approached.

“You are in Asgard, dear,” Frigga replied.

She was still confused.

“I do not understand,” she replied.

Frigga smiled kindly.

“Never mind that. What is your name?” she asked.

The woman took a nervous breath.

“A-Avery, ma’am. Avery Dupont,” she replied.

Frigga nodded.

“Do you remember what happened before you woke?” Frigga asked.

Avery nodded.

“They were trying the witches. I was one of them. I would not renounce my life as a witch, and they burned me at the stake. All I remember was the fire crawling up the timber, then the lightning. Lightning unlike any I had ever seen! The villagers scrambled, as if they were suddenly disinterested in the burning. Then, all was a blur.”

Frigga nodded.

“I will explain everything when you are well. For now, rest,” she said.

Avery merely nodded.

“This is my son, Loki,” Frigga introduced, gesturing to her son, “He will be watching out for you during your stay here.”

Avery looked over at Loki and gave him a nervous smile. Loki politely bowed his head to her.

“I will leave you two now. Avery, dear, is there anything you need? Water, perhaps?” Frigga asked.

“I’m fine, thank-you,” Avery replied.

Frigga nodded once and patted Avery’s arm. She then stood and walked gracefully out of the room, leaving Avery and Loki alone.

“Are there many witches on Midgard?” Loki asked curiously.

Avery squinted.

“What’s Midgard?” she inquired.

Loki cleared his throat and pulled up a chair to sit beside her.

“I mean, where you are from?” he elaborated.

“Oh! Um, some, I suppose. We try to stay hidden. Most are from the European countries,” she explained.

“And you are not from there?” Loki asked.

Avery shook her head.

“My family and I currently live in the colonies,” she replied.

Loki was not sure what she meant, but he would research it later.

“Where did you learn your magic? Books?” Loki asked.

Avery shook her head.

“I have always been able to perform magic. Mother said it was a gift, but the villagers…they thought it a sin. Witches were evil in their eyes.”

Loki smiled.

“You don’t seem so scary,” he pointed out.

Avery smiled, too tired to laugh.

“I am not evil,” she said.

Loki let out small laugh.

“I should think not,” he said.

Avery smiled. She and Loki were silent for a brief moment, before Loki spoke up.

“I can do magic, too,” he said.

Avery looked intrigued.

“Is your family of magic?” she asked.

Loki held a palm up and focused on it, trying to perform a simple spell and have the result manifest on his hand.

“Each member of my family has different affinities. Mother has the gift of magic. Mine is just learned,” he said.

Suddenly, a glowing orb of blue light appeared floating and following his palm. Avery gasped. She had never seen such magic.

“Wow,” she breathed out, “That is beautiful.”

Loki smiled and closed his hand, the orb disappearing.

“Magic is prized here in Asgard. There is no need to harm a being with such a gift,” Loki said, “You are quite lucky my brother brought you here.”

Avery was confused.

“Your brother?” she asked.

“Thor,” he said, “The lightning you saw was him. He considers himself a protector of Mid—Earth. He and his warriors help calm the battles that wage there.”

Avery nodded understandingly.

“Well, could you thank him for me?” she asked.

Loki smiled.

“I will,” he agreed.

Avery smiled at him.

“You are very kind, Loki,” she said.

Loki felt a warmth spread through him. He had not heard a phrase like that spoken to him since he was a child.

“As are you, my lady,” he said.

He bowed to Avery and stood from his seat, nudging the chair back to its corner.

“You can just call me Avery if you would like. ‘My lady’ just sounds too formal,” she said.

Loki just smiled.

“I was only trying to be polite,” he said.

Avery was at a loss for words.

“Well, um, thank-you,” she said.

“You’re welcome. I would like to chat with you longer, but I have duties to attend to. I will return later. Perhaps we could get to know each other a little better?”

Avery nodded.

“Of course,” she said.

Loki nodded.

“Would you like some books to entertain yourself with until my return?” he asked.

“Yes, please,” Avery replied.

“I will send a servant after some novels from Father’s library. I will see you soon, Avery,” he said.

“It was nice speaking with you, Loki,” she said.

Loki bowed.

“And you, as well. Rest now. I will see to it that you get your books and my brother receives your thanks,” he said.

Avery smiled. With that Loki was out the door.

***

During the few days that Avery recuperated, Loki visited her frequently. Occasionally, he was accompanied by Frigga, who would come with books to help explain what had happened to Avery and where she was. It took several attempts, but slowly, Avery understood. She was in Asgard, Midgard was Earth, and she was now immortal. Frigga explained that the spell to give her immortality was the only way to save her life, but that did not mean she could never die—just not as easily as a human. Loki assured her it would take some time to grow accustomed to her new, elongated life, but he assured her that she would not hate it. Soon, Avery grew to like it.
Avery spent the following years in Asgard, visiting Midgard every several years, and becoming very close friends with Loki, friends with Thor and his friends, and to love Frigga as if she were her own mother. She learned the magic that Loki had been taught, how to battle by Thor and Lady Sif, cracked jokes with Voltstagg, Fandral, and Hogun, but spent the majority of her time alongside Loki. Frigga had been correct about the two becoming close, and their relationship helped Loki through some of his harder times, when coronation for the next king was near, and Asgard’s attention was on the great and powerful Thor Odinson, leaving Loki in the shadows.
Loki and Avery sat upon a cliffside, overlooking the ocean.

“I don’t understand what’s so special about Thor,” Loki spat.

“He is the firstborn,” Avery pointed out, “Everyone loves the firstborn.”

“But he’s a clumsy idiot! He’s been spoiled by Father and he’ll surely rule with that attitude.”

Avery glanced over at her friend.

“They always overlook the smart ones. It’s in literature. It’s reality. You have to hand it to Thor, though. He is very personable. Friendly. Caring,” she said.

“Am I not caring?” Loki asked.

“To those close to you, yes. Thor is just more extroverted,” she said.

“Being an extrovert is no prerequisite for being a great ruler,” Loki argued.

Avery took a deep breath to calm herself before speaking. Loki was unreasonable when it came to Thor.

“That’s not what I’m saying, Loki. All I meant was that on the outside, Thor has the perfect image as succeeder to the throne. That’s what people will see and go by,” she said.

“Image is not everything!” Loki growled, “Once they see how foolish he is—“

“You will get your chance to prove yourself. Whether you’re doing it from the throne or on a battlefield, you will get your chance. Image may not be everything, but patience is.”

Loki looked over at Avery. A small smile appeared on his face.

“You’re very wise for only being 336 years old,” he teased.

Avery smiled and playfully nudged him. Loki grinned and grabbed her, resulting in an immature play-fight in the grass.

“Now who are the clumsy idiots?” Avery giggled.

She fell to Loki’s side and watched the clouds race across the sky. Loki rolled onto his stomach and looked down at Avery.

“I have a confession,” he announced.

Avery tilted her head to the side, interested.

“These passed few years would have been very difficult for me without you. You know my deepest secrets,” he said, almost shyly.

Avery looked surprised at him.

“What are you saying, Loki?” she asked.

Loki looked shamefully away.

“It’s childish.”

“Tell me anyway,” Avery demanded, pushing herself up.

Loki sat up with her.

“You must know, Avery, that you are a very special woman. You’re special to me. Had Thor not brought you here…” Loki trailed off.

Avery moved to make eye contact with him.

“How is that childish?” she asked.

Loki looked ashamed. He feared he had offended her.

“Look at me, Loki,” she said.

Loki timidly met her eyes.

“You are special to me, too. You are my greatest friend. I could not ask for a better one,” she said.

Loki smiled and hugged Avery tightly. Despite the anger he may feel towards his brother inheriting the throne, he knew Avery would be by his side to be there for him. Since the day they met, Avery adored Loki. She admired him, and thought highly of him. She defended him when he was bullied, or even the occasional quarrel. They were dear friends, and to tear them apart would mean war.


***

Clusters upon clusters of sharp crystalline points littered a cave of ice. Each point was the same. A jagged, spear-like piece of crystal, deep blue in color, with a bright green ring around the hole near the base. Each fully developed point had one. Others were small blue points, or shards of white that resembled quartz. Loki reached for the largest, most perfect point and broke it loose. She crystal shined, and Loki could feel its energy tingling through his hand. He clutched it and smirked. He could finally repair the palace and get out of Jotunheim.
Loki placed the crystal in a pouch, then cast an enchantment over the cave, disguising it. He did not want anyone else founding his special crystals.
After leaving the ice cave, he returned to his and prepared to leave. The woman sleeping in the furs roused at the sound of Loki packing his saddlebags.

“Where am I?” she mumbled, her words slurring.

Loki rushed to her side. She was trying to sit up, but he gently guided her back down.

“Shh,” he said, “You’re safe. Just stay quiet.”

She looked around nervously.

“Got back to sleep,” he said softly.

She obeyed. Loki scooped her up and placed her on the horse. He followed suit and held her securely to him as he rode out of the cave.

“When you’re ready, Heimdall,” Loki spoke.

Suddenly, he, his horse, and the rescued woman were sent skyward to the safety of the Observatory. Heimdall, the gate keeper, and several of Loki’s guards were waiting.

“Seems as if you found more than just a crystal, my King,” Heimdall said thoughtfully.

Loki paid him no attention as he looked down at the woman.

Much more,” Loki thought.

He looked up to the guards.

“This woman needs urgent medical attention. Please alert the nurses,” he said.

The guards bowed and fled back to the palace.

“If I am not mistaken,” Heimdall’s deep voice droned, “would that be the woman who was banished under Odin’s rule?”

Loki set his jaw. Banished.

“Indeed,” Loki replied, “But Odin no longer rules, and as King, I claim her banishment terminated.”

Heimdall’s lips twitched with a smile, but he did not allow himself to do so.

“I agree that her banishment was uncalled for. I am pleased you are reunited. That you no longer suffer,” the gate keeper spoke.

Loki snorted.

“I did not suffer!” he snapped.

Heimdall shrugged. Loki took calming breaths. He was an expert in the art of lying, but he could not get a story passed Heimdall.

“Did she not cross under your eye?” Loki asked.

“She did not appear to me until you found her, my King,” he replied.

Loki nodded.

“Keep a keen eye on Jotunheim, Heimdall,” he said.

Heimdall bowed his head before turning to face the stars beyond Asgard. Loki tightened his arm around the woman in his lap and nudged his horse into a full gallop across the Bifrost and into the kingdom.
He was met at the palace doors with several servants and nurses waiting with a stretcher. He dismounted and placed the woman in the stretcher.

“Take the horse to the stables,” he said to a servant, “See that he is groomed, fed well, and has plenty of water.”

The servant bowed and set to work. Loki then walked with the nurses inside the palace and to the infirmary. He supervised closely as they placed the woman on a golden platform and performed a check of her vitals, numbers and shapes of golden light surrounding her.

“She’s been purified twice and I provided her a sleeping draught to help her heal,” Loki spoke up.

“It was good that you did, Majesty,” said the head nurse, “The infection is still in her system, but we can remove it.”

Loki nodded.

“Will she fully recover?” he asked, trying to mask his worry.

The nurse nodded. Loki sighed in relief and watched as they pulled the infection from the woman and destroyed it. After the procedure, they took the woman to a chamber left open for guests. Loki followed closely, not letting her out of his sight.

“She must rest now,” a nurse told him.

“I’m staying with her,” he said strictly.

She sighed and left the King with the patient. Soon, he was left alone.

***

My head felt swollen and ready to crack and split open, releasing the pressure in my head. I struggled to open my eyes. When the light entered my eyes, I groaned in agony. God, why did my head hurt so much? Why do I feel like I got hit by a truck? I didn’t drink, so it wasn’t a hangover. I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to fight away the pain, but even closing them made the veins in my temples pound. I pressed the bottoms of my palms to my head and doubled over.

“Shh,” someone beside me said.

“God, it hurts!” I cried.

“I know. Be still,” a voice, deep and smooth, spoke.

I felt an ice cold cloth touch my forehead. I involuntarily moaned in relief. The person who spoke pressed the cloth to my forehead, then wiped my face and re-dipped it in ice water before holding it at my neck.

“Better?” the person asked.

I exhaled.

“Yes,” I replied.

I opened my eyes, no longer sensitive to the warm lighting of the room. My eyes wheeled around and connected with a man looming over me. He had long, black as night hair, combed back to reveal his high forehead, sharp blue eyes, and high cheekbones. He was wearing clothing not like what I was used to seeing, but it wasn’t like I hadn’t seen a similar outfit before. It was the smile that gave him away.

“Loki?” I asked.

He grinned.

“Hello, Avery,” he said gently.

It took me maybe five seconds before I narrowed my eyes. Loki looked fearful.

“Get your hands off of me!” I growled.

He obeyed and eyed me accusingly.

“Is that any way to speak to someone who has saved your life?” he playfully scolded.

I was in no mood for his joking. This man had done nothing but the wickedest. He killed thousands of innocent people, destroyed part of New York City. He killed my people. How dare he think he could rule over the people Earth? He was not the same Loki I knew. The same Loki I trusted. Who could produce the most powerful of spells, weave the most intricate lies, and cast the most incredible of illusions. He taught me everything I knew, and we had been there for each other since Frigga saved my life. Had our friendship and trust in one another been a mere illusion? He knew Midgard meant something to me. It was my home! Why would he try to rule over it and destroy everything and everyone?
I summoned a green flame and blasted it right in Loki’s face. Loki jumped, but successful countered it and shot it right into the fireplace, extinguishing the fire. He looked down at me in shock.

“You should be in prison,” I growled at him as I began to stand.

“I served for the crimes I committed,” he said smoothly.

“You attempted to destroy my home! The first time I see you in years and it’s on TV with you and your army destroying New York! Dammit, Loki! Don’t you even think?” I shouted at him.

“I cannot stand here and tell you that I don’t regret my actions,” he said calmly, while I began to lose my temper.

“Why would you do that? For power?” I snapped.

Loki looked slightly ashamed.

“Exactly,” he replied.

I screamed and dove for him, smashing him against the wall. The wall shuddered and Loki winced in pain.

“You betrayed me, Loki,” I said.

Loki’s blue eyes went wide and soft.

“You promised me you would never hurt me, yet you go cause hell on Earth. Did you not think I wouldn’t be hurt by that?”

Loki sighed.

“I thought about it every day I was imprisoned,” he said.

I grabbed his leather collar and angrily slammed him into the wall again.

“I don’t blame you if you hate me, but I served my time, Avery. I fought with Thor in the most recent battle with the Dark Elves to save Asgard. I nearly died in that battle. I barely got out with my life and Thor’s. Now, Odin has crowned me king for my honorable sacrifices. I have been redeemed.”

I snarled.

“You did that to finally rule!” I shouted accusingly.

In one swift motion, Loki grabbed my wrists and held both firmly between his hands.

“That was not in the plans. I assure you,” he said.

“Liar!” I spat.

Loki switched my wrists to one hand and took my chin in between his fingers.

“Have I ever mislead you?” he asked, angry with me.

I let out a shallow breath, then shook my head.

“And I am not now,” he said.

I swallowed hard.

“How can I trust you?” I whispered.

Loki looked sadly upon me.

“I would not blame you if you never had faith in me again,” he said.

I looked down and away from him. Loki and I had been best friends for years. He had never once fooled me, and used his talents only to teach me and make me laugh. I never in a million years thought he had snap and reek havoc on my home.

“You don’t have to, but please forgive me, Ave,” he said softly.

Loki kissed my forehead, and I broke down. He let go of my wrists, and I proceeded to slam my fists against his chest. I felt torn between hating the man I saw on TV and my best friend.

“You piece of shit,” I said through tears, then hugged him, “I fucking missed you.”

Loki held me tightly. I could feel his nose press into my hair.

“I’ve missed you dearly,” he said quietly.

I laid my head on his shoulder. Loki wiped my cheeks.

“I see your language remains to be pure filth,” he teased.

“Shut up,” I grumbled.

Loki chuckled. My head began to pound again. I groaned and pressed my forehead to his chest.
“God!” I graoned, “What happened to me?”

Loki took hold of my shoulders with his long, slender fingers.

“Come. Lie down and rest. Your body needs time to recover,” he said.

Loki led me back to the bed and helped me lay back down. He raised the fire in the fireplace again, bringing heat and more light to the chamber. He then sat with me and held the icy cloth to my forehead.

“Would you like me to retrieve a sleeping draught?” he asked.

“No,” I replied sleepily.

“What in the Nine Realms were you doing in Jotunheim?” Loki asked, “You are lucky I found you.”

“I don’t know,” I whispered, “One minute I was hiking through the woods, the next, I was face down in the snow in the middle of a bunch of Frost Giants.”

Loki was immediately alarmed.

“That’s not possible,” he said.

“Well, I don’t know what to tell you, Loki,” I said.

Loki chuckled and wiped my face.

“I’ll investigate it. Rest now, Avery,” he said, standing.

He placed the cloth on the table, then with a swipe of his hand across the room, lowered the flames in the torches illuminating the room.

“There are facilities en suite. If you need anything, just call for a guard. They are standing outside your doors,” he said.

I nodded.

“Loki?” I asked.

“Yes, Avery?”

I watched him for a moment. I didn’t detect any darkness on him. His energy felt like the same old Loki to me.

“Thank-you,” I said quietly.

Loki smiled and leaned down to hug me.

“I will try to make everything up to you,” he whispered.

I gave him a small squeeze before letting go.

“Sleep well, Avery,” he said.

“You, too.”

With that Loki checked the side table to make sure I had everything before leaving me. I was asleep before he was out the door.

***

Loki strode out of Avery’s room, anger towards the Frost Giants boiling in his veins. How dare they hurt her? And what’s more, there was a portal on Midgard for anyone to slip in. The question was, how and why was it there?

“Guard!” Loki called.

A guard jogged up to the King, bowing before speaking.

“Yes, my King?” he asked.

“Have a messenger send for my brother. Have them tell Thor that he must return to Asgard immediately. It’s an emergency,” Loki replied.

The guard bowed.

“Right away, sire.”

Loki then stormed to his chambers. If he had wanted to commit genocide on any realm, Jotunheim would be it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not sure where I'm going with this story. If anyone has any suggestions in helping getting this story off of the ground, I'm open to them.

Thank-you for reading! Please comment and subscribe!