Status: Inactive for lack of motivation and feedback.

The Witch and the Sorcerer

Your True Side

I stepped into the dining hall, seeing Thor and his friends from a mile away. They were surrounded in palace staff, Loki’s warriors and guards, and family of the warriors. I was hoping to see Frigga as I entered, but I knew she must be with Odin. I wondered how many people in this room were loyal to Loki. How many believed him? How many hated him? I had a feeling, if these people knew I was loyal to Loki, would they hate me?
Volstagg was the first to see me as I approached.

“Aren’t you a sight for sore eyes?” he exclaimed happily.

The others turned to look at me.

“Avery,” Fandral choked.

I smiled at them.

“Hey, guys,” I said cheerfully.

Thor yanked me into a hug.

“Loki told me what happened to you. Are you alright?” he asked worriedly.

I laughed.

“I’m much better now, Thor. Thank-you,” I replied.

“I’m sure choking her to death does not help any, Thor,” Fandral teased.

Thor just gave his friend a smile.

“We must talk, Avery. My friends, would you please excuse me?” Thor asked.

They nodded. Thor turned to me and smiled. He linked his arm with mine and politely escorted me out of the palace and to the gardens. It was quite pleasant today, as it was normally on Midgard. However, the wind did had a bit of a chill. I shivered upon walking through the courtyard, being dressed only in a long, Midgardian tunic and black leggings. I tried to blend.

“You’re cold,” Thor observed, “Would you like me to retrieve you something warmer?”

I smiled at the giant, blonde-headed man and shook my head.

“It’s just a cold chill. I’m fine,” I assured him.

Thor nodded.

“If you say so,” he said with a warm smile.

I shyly returned it.

“We missed you during your absence. My brother especially,” he said.

We walked to a bench near a center fountain, a sculpture of Odin’s helmet cast in gold adorning the top.

“I missed both of you. You have no idea how much I missed this place,” I said.

Thor nodded.

“Midgard has its perks, as you may know, but it has nothing on Asgard. I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder,” I said.

Thor laughed his deep, youthful chuckle.

“That it does,” he agreed.

His smile then faded to a troubled frown.

“We fought to bring you back, Loki and I. We tried to talk to Father. Even Mother put a good word in for you. You were not forgotten,” he said.

I looked up at him.

“I wouldn’t doubt that,” I said softly.

Thor had always treated me like a sister, and made sure I was well. He and Frigga, as well as Loki, were more of a family than I ever had on Earth. My mother was burned at the stake in my place, and the rest of my family fled Salem. All long dead now, but I did not mourn for them. I missed my mother, but I knew death—mortal death, was not the end.

“I do not mean to cause you any more stress than you have already endured, but I believe that your banishment started Loki’s vengeful actions,” he said.

I sighed heavily.

“Being torn from someone so dear to him. You don’t take Loki’s stuff. I never learned that lesson,” he admitted.

I cracked a smile. Oh, the fights that ensued between them as teenagers.

“I’m not his property, Thor,” I said lightly.

“No, but you were his nearest and dearest friend, and you gave him a reason to be happy,” he said.

I bit the inside of my cheek.

“You leaving for good…turned trickery into chaos for a few months. Soon after, was the trouble with the Frost Giants, then New York,” he said.

“What happened to him, Thor?” I asked.

Thor rested his elbows on his legs and puffed his cheeks out.

“He became overwhelmed with evil. After losing you and discovering his true parentage, he snapped. He went mad with darkness, rage, and powerful given to him by the Chitauri. He used his true identity to seek revenge on me and our father—my father. When I returned him to the palace, he was destined for the ax…it was Mother who fought against it. She wanted mercy for Loki, and by putting him in a cell for months, he was broken of the darkness.”

I nodded in understanding.

“Isolation can break the best of them,” I said.

“The only person who would visit him was Mother. She still trusted him. She was the only woman to truly love him unconditionally. The only person to love him so much. No matter what, he was still her son. She visited him every day. She hated him being in there. She comforted him. Talked to him. Brought back the old Loki. I know she did, because he fought so valiantly in our last battle together.”

I looked up at Thor, shaking the painful image on Loki imprisoned from my mind. He deserved it, but this all could have been avoided. It sickened me.

“What happened?” I asked.

“A lot of things I have a small bit of regret for,” he replied, “but reason called for it. We broke Loki out of prison, committed treason against Odin. However, we had to to save Asgard from Malekith and the Dark Elves. Jane had accidentally stumbled upon the Aether and it entered her. The only way to save her was to have Malekith draw it out, and the only person who knew their world was Loki. He took us there, helped me deceive Malekith, and fight the Kursed and the Dark Elves. He protected Jane. He would have never put an ounce of effort into protecting her, had she not meant so much to me. Even before she meant nothing to him, but I believe he was reminded of you.”

I nodded slowly.

“He shielded her, blocked her from the wormhole, then split into a projection in an attempt to save me and leave. He wanted to get out of Asgard, and I allowed him that. He wanted to mourn the loss of our mother alone, and so he let himself slip down the wormhole, while a projection of himself saved me and died in my arms. It was not until I returned, did I find him alive.”

I gasped and stared at Thor in shock.

“Frigga’s gone?” I squeaked, not meaning to.

Thor looked solemnly upon me and nodded.

“She died protecting Jane. Again, from Malekith. I could do nothing to save her. She died before me,” he said sadly.

“Oh, Thor,” I said quietly.

He waved me off.

“She died with honor. A memorial statue was carved by Asgard’s greatest sculptors and erected here in the garden,” he said, pointing to a massive statue I had missed at the far end of the garden, “Father was broken, and Loki went into a fit of rage. His last conversation with her had not been a happy one.”

I bit my lip. I couldn’t believe she was gone.

“Loki wished to mourn away from anything that reminded him of her. Fate brought him back here. He returned under disguise, but Father saw through it. He knew what Loki had done for me, for Jane, and for Asgard, and he finally, with old age and mourning the loss of Mother weighing down on his, told Loki to take over as him. He was to grant me the throne if I wanted it, and then leave to be on his own without any more pressure from anyone. I thought him dead, and I declined the throne. Even when he revealed himself to me, I declined the throne. I wanted to be in Midgard with Jane, and I knew he would make a great king for Asgard. So far, he’s done well.”

I nodded. My thoughts were a whirlwind. Loki had saved Thor’s life, as well as his mortal’s—something very noble, but uncharacteristic of the God of Mischief.

“He took the throne because it was his purpose. It was fate, Avery. But, I believe he deserves to have something he wanted. His actions on Midgard cannot be excused, but they can be overlooked. Mother overlooked it, and so should we. He is brave, intelligent, cunning, and finally understands the true meaning of ruling. We’ve all done horrible things in our lives. We all have killed, hurt the ones we love, committed crimes. No one is perfect, and everyone deserves a fresh start. It’s water under the bridge.”

I let out a shaky breath, letting Thor’s words sink in.

“How can we be certain that he did not murder Odin? That this was his plan all along?” I asked.

Thor’s eyes held acute sadness.

“That’s not what Mother would have wanted,” he replied.

I pulled my feet into the bench and perched my chin on my knees as I hugged my legs. Frigga was gone. That sweet woman had saved my life, sparing me from mortal death. She saved Loki from execution, and Thor’s mortal woman, though she knew little of her. She held such an extraordinary high capacity for love and forgiveness. Even for children who were not her’s by blood. I just wished I could have said goodbye.

“I’m sorry you did not know. Loki did not tell you?” he asked.

I shook my head.

“I do not blame him. It is hard news to bear. Loki may have been protecting you from the truth, and maybe not, but you do have a right to know. She loved you like a daughter, Avery.”

I swallowed and nodded. Thor gently grasped my shoulder and gave it a soft, comforting squeeze.
Something caused Thor to sit straight up, and I in turn looked up as well. Standing at the base of Frigga’s monument was a figure dressed in black, green, and gold leather and armor, stroking his hand along the base as he walked around it.

“He may be independent,” Thor spoke.

He looked from Loki to me.

“But everyone can use a comforting touch,” he finished.

I nodded. Thor stood and held a hand out for me. I took it and stood.

“I will be in the arena if you need me,” he said.

I smiled.

“Thank-you, Thor,” I said.

Thor smiled and bowed his head before leaving me. I proceeded to walk down the stone path to see Loki standing in front of the statue, looking up at the likeness of his mother with tears in his eyes. How hard had he cried when he was informed of her death? I wished I could have been there to console him. What time had been wasted.
I slowly approached, as not to anger or spook Loki. I had never been around him when he lost someone dear to him, and after his mental rebirth, I was not sure what to expect. All I knew was that, he needed someone. I know I needed him.

“Hey,” I said softly as I appeared around the memorial.

Loki’s head snapped up to me.

“Hello, Ave,” he said, his voice shaky.

I licked my chapped lips and took a deep breath as I crossed my arms.

“Thor told me,” I said.

Loki gripped the ornate border around the base that topped the description etched in the stone.

“I loved her dearly,” he said.

I blinked, my eyes watering up.

“I just wished I had let her know,” he whispered.

I closed my eyes tightly.

“She knows, Loki. She knows.”

Loki tried to swallow down a sob. I heard voices, so I cast an illusion around us. Loki watched the blurry barrier form around us.

“I just wish I had gotten the chance to say goodbye,” I whispered.

Loki looked up at me, sympathy in his eyes. I had never gotten to say goodbye when Odin decided I needed out of his kingdom.

“Me, too,” he said, then swallowed.

I walked around him and came up from behind as he stared up at the statue. I gently took his sleeve within my fingers. I then hugged his arm and laid my head against it.

“We still have each other, though,” Loki said.

That did it for me. I let my tears fall and a sharp cry that I struggled to suppress escaped my mouth. I buried my face in the metal platelets in his jacket. Loki turned and pulled me into a tight hug, one hand firmly around my waist and the other hand holding the back of my head as I put my arms around his torso, not tall enough to put them around his neck. I felt him shake beneath me. He buried his face in the side of my head, and I heard him sniff before he whimpered. We held each other as tight as we could without crushing the breath out of each other. We needed this badly. I needed him on the nights I was left to sleep naked in filth with my skin bleeding and my ankles tied. He needed me during the time he had discovered Odin’s dirty secret, and the turmoil that followed. Losing me. Losing Thor for some time. Losing everything he knew about himself. Then ending up right back where we belonged. The tighter we held on, the better we felt.

“I’m glad you’re here. I have at least one person I can fully trust. I just wished you trusted me as much as I trust you,” he confessed.

I leaned back to look at him and took his face in my hands.

“No, Loki. Listen to me,” I said.

Tears spilled down my cheeks.

“I thought you a monster…until Thor told me how valiantly you fought for him. How brave you were. What you sacrificed. Odin could have had you killed. Do you know how damn lucky you are?”

A tear slid out of a corner of his eye. I wiped it away with my thumb.

“You saved my life. It was you who kept me going when I lived in Midgard. For a time, anyway. You are still the same man I admired and deeply respected before the trouble started. In my eyes, that’s redemption enough. The others would call me a fool for saying that, but I know you have never lied to me.”

“Nor will I ever will, sweetheart,” he said.

Fresh tears welled up and poured over without pause. Loki cupped my face and kissed my hairline before holding me tightly. This was my safety. No one could hurt me here. No one could hate me here. My energy could dwindle and my aura could rot, rendering me powerless, but with Loki, I didn’t have to worry about protecting myself.

“And never have I heard you cry so hard,” he said, sounding devastated, “Now and last night.”

I shuddered and looked up at him.

“What?” I asked.

He looked down shyly.

“My balcony is above your’s,” he said.

I felt my heart beat pick up. I had been loud last night.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know anyone was around. I didn’t mean to wake you if I did,” I apologized.

Loki shook his head.

“How could I rest when my best friend is in so much pain?” he asked.

I felt my face contort as another sob welled up in my chest, making my entire rib cage throb. If I didn’t release it, I would surely have the hiccups.

“I know when you are tortured, Ave. I know you too well for you to deny it,” he said.

“That’s an appropriate word for it,” I said bitterly.

He craned his neck down, trying to grab eye contact.

“Who hurt you?” he asked.

I clenched my jaw.

“Many,” I whispered.

I nervously looked up at him. Loki straightened and closed his eyes, taking a deep breath.

“I’m sorry, Ave,” he said, pulling me back into him, “So sorry.”

I clutched the hem on his jacket and laid my head on his chest, all those nights of wishing he was there to save me hitting me full throttle.

“Loki?” I asked.

“Yes, Avery?”

“Would you mind too much if I permanently moved to Asgard?” I asked.

I looked up at him. He brushed moisture from my cheek and gave me a small smile.

“I would love nothing more,” he replied.

I smiled at him. Loki smiled wider and hugged me once more.

“You’re welcome, by the way,” he said.

At first, I was confused. Then I remembered what I had said last night. I laughed a little.

“I mean it,” I said.

Loki smiled, his lips moving in a charming curve that lacked its usual deviance.

“You will be safe here. You are under my protection,” he said, authority in his voice.

I could not contain my amusement.

“Thank-you.”

“And I mean that,” he said.

I laughed at that. Not at him. Just because.

“With every fiber of my damned being. I told you before I would never let anyone hurt you, and I swear to you that I will never be the one to cause you tears,” he said sincerely.

I stared at him, words failing me.

“Avery, I love you. I always have. You have always been good to me. You made me feel cared for and loved. I could not cause tears to someone who means so much to me. I did so to Frigga, and now she’s gone. It would be the undoing of me to see that happen to you.”

I reached down and took his hands. He stiffened for a moment. I do not think he expected this of me, and frankly, neither did I!

“Remember all those time I have you these compliments and you would tease me?” I asked.

“I assure you, it was only because I loved you,” he said quickly.

I held a hand up to silence him.

“Loki, I meant everything I said. And I told you all of it—“

“Daily,” he said teasingly.

I smiled.

“Because I loved you. It wasn’t until I had my little ‘cry and wake up the neighborhood’ session that I realized it.”

Loki’s face fell.

“Every time I was attacked by some maniac on the streets, or abused in a tiny room by the worst kind of people, I just thought of you. I knew you would never do those things to me that they did. You are nothing but the kindest to me.”

Loki clasped my hands in his and kissed my knuckles.

“You’re a shit-head, but you’re the only man I’ve ever loved,” I said with a smiled.

Loki chuckled.

“As I recall, you were never that well-behaved yourself,” he teased.

I reclaimed one of my hands and swatted his shoulder, causing him to laugh. He held me by the waist with one hand and tilted my chin up with his opposite hand. He leaned down and brushed his lips against mine.

“You remember when I was in the worst of sorts, and you transferred your energy to me?” he asked.

I smiled and nodded. Loki would have fits of rage, or the worst depression imaginable, and I would hold his shoulders, summon positive and loving energy, and transfer it to him. Surround him in it. It was magic I could not explain, but so simple. It took a lot out of me, but to see him smiling again—it was worth it.
He reached the hand holding my hip and pressed his palm over my heart. A flood of emotions washed over me, and I realized that he had been doing this since I arrived. He was trying to reconnect. His attempts were different, though, for we were different ages, and he was much more powerful than I was. This time, he got it right. Beautiful, warm, caring energy flooded me, hitting me like the tsunami it was. I gasped and looked to see his eyes staring into me, now dark blue.

“Loki,” I whispered in astonishment.

He smiled and tenderly pressed his lips against mine. I held the side of his neck and reach up on tip-toe to kiss him back. The energy he filled me with, mixed with my emotions, I used and gave them back. Loki loosened and deepened the kiss. We only broke when we had to breathe, but even then, I didn’t part from him.
I looked over my shoulder at the grand memorial to the fallen Queen, wondering if someday I would be next. It was doubtful.

“Do you think Frigga would bless us?” I asked.

Loki chuckled.

“If she has not done so already,” he replied.

I smiled and leaned into him. I had been so lost, as he had been. Now, we were home.

***

That afternoon, Loki had to discuss business with Thor, plus his kingly matters, so I retired to my chambers for a nap to rest and restore my energy. The tonic helped clear up my cold symptoms, but my injuries from my encounter with the Frost Giants were still healing, and my magic levels were low. Unlike Loki, whose powers could be used at any time, my magical core was fueled by my own energy and emotions. They worked flawlessly when I was happy and well, like shit when I was tired or in pain, and mercilessly when I was angry. I was at my most powerful when my adrenaline was pumping and I was fighting for a passion, such as saving someone’s life. I can use it to my advantage when I was in a situation, like saving Loki from a demon who had slipped behind him with an ax, or Thor’s clumsy butt when he tripped and was almost bitten by some demon spawn in Muspelheim. Even my mother, who was nearly captured and burned at the stake, or my cat I had as a child, who had been trampled by a horse, and I helped heal it. I knew I would need my magic restored as soon as possible to help Loki and Thor, so I napped for an hour or so.
When I awoke, it was still day light. I ventured out onto the balcony, Frigga on my mind. I wished there had been a grave. I knew her body had been cremated, releasing her soul to the heavens. It was not like human burials. It was much more sensitive—more beautiful and honorable. However, I just felt in comfort in the idea of being able to see a headstone and knowing her body was below my feet. I just hoped she was looking down on us. She had always been so kind and gentle, yet firm. She was a fighter, and it was her Loki learned his magic and his wit from. She inspired me to be brave, and she was always someone I could confide in when I didn’t feel comfortable discussing it with Loki. I just wanted to hug her one more time.
I reached my hands up, cupping them as if they held water and closed my eyes. I formed a blue orb of light in my palms. It twisted bigger and bigger, like a snowball gathering more snow to make a part of a snowman. Once it was baseball sized, I held it to my mouth.

“Time has passed, the Wheel has turned. This light is for Frigga, our fallen queen…my hero. You walk with your ancestors now. I ask that the Lord and Lady welcome her back to the womb and divine instruction. Let her come back into your loving embrace, and let her know she has been blessed by your gracious gifts. Let her know her know she left behind a wonderful legacy. We will cry for her. We will laugh for her. We will mourn her departure, and we will celebrate her great life. I ask you surround her in love and strength in her path across the rivers. We will never forget her, her gracious deeds, and her sacrifice. May her soul walk among the heavens for eternity. So mote it be,” I prayed.

I walked to the railing with the pulsing orb. I raised it up, then gently blew on it. The ball shot off into a sparkling dust, that was swept away by the wind to the heavens. I watched it float away until I could see it no longer.

“That was beautiful.”

I jumped and spun around to see Loki standing in the doorway. I nearly choked when I saw him, and I tried to catch my breath. I was so caught up in the prayer, I was startled to hear his voice.

“Do you not know how to knock?” I playfully snapped.

Loki cracked a smile as he slowly strolled over.

“I suppose not,” he said warmly, “I do apologize for startling you, though.”

He approached me and reached up to fix a piece of hair. I knew my whole head was a mess from sleeping on it.

“How are you feeling?” he asked.

I shrugged.

“I think I’ll be in full swing by tomorrow. Everything has been just…insane,” I said.

Loki chuckled.

“I know. I cannot say it will slow down so you can catch up at the present time, but you will readjust again. With time,” he said.

I smiled up at him.

“Everything’s so different now, though,” I said, looking out across the kingdom.

Loki cupped my face and turned my head to make me look at him.

“Because of us?” he asked, slightly worried.

I sighed and smiled.

“That’s one side of the coin. I just mean now that you rule. Frigga’s no longer with us. Just…everything seemed to happen for me in one day,” I tried to explain.

“I agree it’s a bit overwhelming,” he said, “but times are better. Maybe not so much for peace in the Realms, but life for all of us. I like to hope it will be even better. I have more respect than I did before. I have a purpose in Asgard. I have you, love.”

He kissed my knuckles, breaking my shatterproof attention.

“I’m not in any hell any longer. It’s a new start, Ave.”

I smiled at him.

“You don’t know how I’ve longed for this. I am so grateful to share it with you,” he said.

I took his jaw and kissed him. Loki put his arms around my waist and deepened the kiss.

“I have something else I would like to share with you,” he said.

I watched him curiously. He took my hand and led me from the balcony and back into the palace. He led me down to the throne room, which, save for a few guards, was empty. When I entered, the room was as different as my life had become. I gasped when I saw the once glorious room, now damaged.

“The Dark Elves,” Loki said, his voice echoing and bitter, “This was their mark they left on Asgard. One of them, anyway.”

He reached into his pocket and produced a hefty piece of crystal, charmed to disappear and be weightless in his pockets.

“This is what I went to Jotunheim for when I found you. It’s magic is instant,” he went on, “And glorious to witness. It only works once. I could pull another point from the cave I found it in, but it would be useless to me. I wanted to share it with you, Ave.”

I approached him to look at the crystal. Blue, fading to green surrounding a hole. It reminded me of my meager collection of holy stones I had picked up in Midgard. Some of which I used in my altar. Natural holes made in the rock, adding a new dimension.

“It’s a precious crystal. I thought it best to use it versus architects. Bring something special back to this once grand room,” he said.

“Do you know how to use it?” I asked.

He looked up at me and nodded.

“Would you like to see?” he asked.

I nodded. Loki held his left palm out and held the crystal upright. He took the sharp point between his long fingers and spun it, like one would do with a jack. It spun into the air like a top, hovering like a UFO between his hands. He began to recite a spell in a language far beyond anything I had ever heard. The language of the ancient Frost Giants. His spell, however, ended in English.

“Bless this room, and protect those who dwell in it,” he finished.

With that, he released it, then backed up to me. He took my hand and stood between me and the crystal, shielding me from it in case something went wrong.
The crystal revolved at warp speed, creating so much energy, light began to emit from it. Suddenly, it burst into blue and green light, surrounding Loki and I and spreading over every inch of the throne room and turning the warm gold light to cool blue. It was like Christmas lights. Loki and I looked up to the light. Healing energy swirled around us. Cracks sealed seamlessly. Columns repaired themselves and duplicated to replace the missing ones. The throne grew back like a replaced limb that had been torn from the body of the palace. This was magic far beyond my powers. Only the most powerful of sorcerers could do it. In that moment, I was so proud of Loki.
In a few minutes, the light withdrew from the walls, and within a burst of smoke, it was gone. I stared at the renewed throne room in awe. The room was ancient, but now it looked brand new. Restored to its original glory with the first king. Now, its new king.

“Loki, that was amazing! Look at this place!” I said excitedly, looking around the room.

“It was,” he agreed, “Not even during my childhood did it look this glamorous.”

I smiled up at him. Just when I thought I couldn’t admire him more…

“I think everyone will love it. Paintings will be made, I’m sure,” he said, then frowned, “Just with me absent from the throne.”

I took his by the shoulders and turned him to face me.

“Give it time, Loki,” I said softly.

He gave me a small smile.

“They will learn to love you. As I did,” I said.

His smile widened and he softly kissed me before hugging me.

“I could have used your kind words a time ago,” he said.

I gave him a squeeze before pulling back to look at him.

“Well, I’m here now,” I said.

He smiled at that.

“And we need to get you moved into your new chambers,” he said happily.

I felt my mood sour.

“That’s a trip to Midgard,” I said, pointing out the obvious.

“I will go with you. Thor and I both,” he said.

I nodded. I didn’t want him to see what had become of me during my banishment. My living space…

“You will not go back alone, okay?”

I nodded and gave him a small smile. He rubbed my arm and touched his forehead to mine.

“We will depart tomorrow. Today, I just to spend some time with you,” he said.

I couldn’t argue with that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading! Please comment and subscribe!