Status: Inactive for lack of motivation and feedback.

The Witch and the Sorcerer

The Nightmare Has Begun

“No! Please! I’ll do anything. Just please not this!”

The man yanked at his belt buckle.

“Damn right you’ll do anything. You will do anything and everything I tell you. That clear?” he snapped, yanking his baggy jeans down.

I curled up into a ball and started panicking.

“Get over here and suck my dick!” he ordered.

I felt tears well up in my eyes.

“No,” I said.

Had I had the energy, he would have been a girl in a split second.

The man stared at me with wide eyes.

“What did you just say?” he asked.

I snarled.

“Fuck you!” I shouted.

The man rushed me. I screamed as he grabbed me by the hair and kicked me in the ribs, knocking me breathless. He grabbed the back of my head and forced my mouth upon him. I gave in then.

“That’s right, bitch. Suck it like the whore you are,” he said.

I felt like I would vomit.

He threw me in the floor, tore away my clothes, and brutally defiled me, showing not one ounce of mercy. I fought, but it was no use. He slapped me with every thrust. When he was finished, he nearly kicked me across the room. I laid there bleeding and crying for several hours before the next guy came in. Then the next…


***

Thor was walking to his chambers, strolling through the corridors when he heard a blood-curdling scream. He recognized the voice as Avery’s. He summoned Mjolnir and bounded up a flight of stairs to her chamber door.

***

“Get away from her!” Loki barked.

The guard who had heard Avery’s screaming had rushed into her chambers, barging in on the woman writhing and screaming in the bed. Loki marched in, angry that the guard had burst forth into her chambers, not showing any respect for Avery’s privacy.

“Sire, we thought she was being attacked,” one explained.

Loki stared at him, sending a jolt of fear through the guard.

“Get out!” he shouted at them.

They scrambled away and ran out the door. Thor appeared in the doorway, looking confused as the guards tried to flee as fast as they could. He looked in to see Loki at Avery’s bedside.

“What’s going on?” he asked worriedly.

Loki shook his head. Avery was doubled over, clutching her side where the stab wound was. He was suddenly worried. He thought he had healed her. What was happening now?
Thinking quickly, he pushed her onto her back. Still sleeping, she screamed bloody murder.

“Thor! Hold her down!” Loki ordered.

Thor quickly appeared at his brother’s side and restrained Avery.

“Forgive me, darling,” Loki said as he lifted her shirt to examine the wound.

He was in sheer shock and disgust when he looked upon her torso. The recent stab wound was not the cause of her pain. In fact, it was almost gone. It was the other horrifying scars littering her skin. Loki felt his throat close up.

“Wake her, Loki,” Thor said, sounding desperate.

Loki pulled her shirt back down and moved up to take her face in his hands.

“Avery,” he said, his voice strong and stern.

***

I gasped and panted as my eyes flew open. A face was hovering over me. Thinking I was still in the middle of a nightmare, I screamed and clawed away from it.

“Ave! Avery, it’s just me,” it said.

I looked to see Loki. He crawled into the bed and scooped me up.

“You’re safe. You’re okay,” he said.

When I saw those familiar blue eyes, I cried in relief and and grabbed fistfuls of his jacket, hiding in his chest. Loki sighed and held me to him.

“Is she alright?” a deep voice behind Loki asked.

I timidly looked up to see Thor looking on worriedly. I must have awoken the whole palace.

“I have it taken care of, Thor. She’ll be alright,” Loki said to his brother over his shoulder.

Thor still seemed uneasy.

“Go to your chambers and rest. We will leave for Midgard to retrieve Avery’s belongings in the morning,” he said.

Thor nodded.

“I will meet you at the Observatory. Avery, rest well,” he said.

I looked over Loki’s shoulder at him.

“Thank-you,” I whispered.

Thor gave me a soft smile before nodding and turning away. Loki and I watched until the door was closed. Once shut, Loki quickly turned back to me.

“What happened? Are you alright?” he asked frantically.

I swallowed and nodded.

“It was just a nightmare,” I said.

“Don’t lie to me, Avery,” he said strictly, “You were in pain.”

I bit my lip. I did not want him to know the details of what happened in the dream…or on Earth in reality. However, once he saw my home tomorrow, explaining myself would be unavoidable.

“I thought your wound had been causing you pain, but when I checked, I saw the scars. What happened to you?” he asked in a demanding tone.

He was not angry with me. Just pissed at whoever had harmed me.

“What didn’t happen?” I said, “I was dropped from Asgard with no money. No life. In the worst possible shit hole in America. I lied. I stole. I worked degrading jobs. I was often beaten in alleyways. I was kidnapped. That’s what that nightmare was about.”

Loki tensed up. I let out a shaky breath.

“They locked me up. Beat me,” I said, “They destroyed my energy, so I could not save myself with magic. One by one, every night. They took the most precious things away from me. Things I had been saving.”

Loki looked sadly upon me. I summoned up enough energy to speak again.

“They raped me and wrecked me, Loki. I was able to heal myself. Restore myself,” I said quietly.

An impending sob welled up in my chest.

“They made me feel worthless. I was their property. Their toy…their whore,” I let out a sob, “When you hear it enough times, you start to believe it. I am nothing.”

Loki tightened his arms around me and I let loose and bawled into his chest.

“You are everything, Avery. You are light, and love, and beauty. You have a purpose in this life. Do not think ill of yourself any longer. For whoever dares to harm you again, verbally or otherwise, I will show them no mercy,” he said dangerously, his words dripping venom. Drenched in it.

“Loki—“

“Let me finish,” he said, “Nothing you are not. Not to me. You are mine. My dearest and my trusted friend. You comforted me, allowed me to confide in you as you did with me, drew laughter from me on my darkest days. You, Avery, changed me. If it’s all the same to you, darling, you mean much more to me, as well as Thor, than you will ever know. You are not worthless, and you do not deserve to believe such words, from men who think about nothing but their own advantages. If I had known, and had been able to rescue you, I would have. Seeing you, completely broken, it pains me. I swear to you, as long as you’re with me, I will never let such harm to you come again. I will be right by your side, and if you like, I can erase those scars.”
I closed my eyes tightly in a futile attempt to keep the tears at bay. Loki nuzzled the side of my head before kissed my cheek, then taking my hand and kissing my knuckles. I tried to smile at him, but just broke down and cried into his chest. Loki cradled the back of my head and held me to him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed his jaw, showing him my gratitude. Loki looked down at me and smiled. I blinked away tears as he stroked my wet cheek, soothing my erratic breathing.
I felt so much better in Loki’s presence. Knowing he would never let another man touch me. Knowing that I was loved and cared for. Knowing that I was finally safe, and safest in his arms. His words replayed over and over in my head, blowing away those negative thoughts the nightmare had brought. One stuck out the most. “You are mine.” Not property, like the men who violated. His friend. His love. He had my heart and soul. That being said, he was mine as well.

“Could you do me a favor?” I asked quietly.

Loki looked down at me, his expression nothing but warm and affectionate.

“What would that be, my love?” he asked.

I shivered at his words. He was strange, yet so satisfying to hear him call me such loving names. Once used to it, I knew I would never tire of it.

“You can say no, but would you mind staying here tonight? Not all night, if you don’t want to. Just until I fall asleep again?”

Loki smiled at pressed his lips to mine, softly kissing me.

“Of course, Ave,” he replied.

I smiled sleepily. Loki readjusted himself on the bed, summoning a more comfortable tunic and pants in place of his jacket and armor. I curled up against him, his tunic soft and smelling of him, fresh rain and the fragrant scent of man. His body was warm. He ran his slender fingers through my hair and watched me, not breaking his attention for anything.

“Goodnight, my sweetest Avery,” he said softly.

I smiled and closed my eyes.

“Goodnight, my dearest Loki,” I replied.

Loki wrapped his arms around me, sheltering me. I fell into a pleasant sleep.

***

The next morning, I woke up as peacefully as I had the day before. The calming air filled the room, and I was comfortably warm. The kind of warm where you just want to roll over and fall asleep for another few hours. The mattress was so comfortable and form fitting, the sheets and covers were so soft and glossy, though warm like a heavy quilt. It almost had a healing quality to it. I knew that the mattresses were designed for warrior’s to heal and comfort them after battle. To me, it was the most glorious thing I’ve ever slept on.
I rolled onto my bag and stretched. As I did, my elbow hitting something that was not pillow. I jumped and turned to see a familiar pale face and black hair strung everywhere. I smiled. I had not thought Loki would stay. I’m sure he probably wanted to stay and make sure he was there in case of another nightmare and then accidentally fell asleep. However, he had an arm draped across my stomach, as if he intended to fall asleep holding me. His face was peaceful, and with the way his normally combed-back hair was in his face, I knew he must have slept well. Whether he had intended on falling asleep here or not, I like to think he did.
A piece of his hair fell across his cheek, getting sucked under his nose and gently blown away as he breathed. I smiled and reached over to push it out of the way. It was strange, seeing Loki like this. When we were younger, we would sometimes fall asleep together, with no intentions save for enjoying each other’s presence and trying to catch a few moments of rest. Sometimes Loki would accidentally fall asleep on my bed in my chambers after returning from battle, or a stressful day juggling his duties as a prince and fighting his battles between the All Father and Thor. Even then, when he slept, his features were set in the most troubled of expressions. Then as time passed, and the events with New York played out, I saw nothing but evil on the news. I had liked to believe that it was the news manipulating him, and I’m sure it was to a certain degree, but I couldn’t shake that look in his eyes.
Now, as he laid sleeping beside me, he looked so vulnerable. He had a rough exterior, one made of heartbreak, betrayal, and mistreatment. He was hardened, making him stronger. Yet, he still had a weak side reserved for only himself—until I returned. This state, even though it was merely sleep, was so rare and precious to see. It made me realize how much I truly missed him. His pranks. His words. His genuine smile on occasion. His concern. Those fights with myself, trying to mask my feelings towards him. Now, I was his. To pester. To protect. To love. This was no dream in the middle of the night, soaked in drying bodily fluids and for a brief moment, swept away by your best friend…the man you love. This was real now.

“You, my dear, are every bit as stunning first thing in the morning as you are after you have groomed yourself.”

I jumped and looked to see Loki, smiling sleepily.

“Please!” I said and rolled my eyes.

Loki nuzzled my neck.

“Utterly breathtaking,” he breathed out.

I froze. I had never heard those words out of any man, but coming from him, I knew he meant it.

“You’re not so bad yourself, mister,” I said teasingly.

Loki smirked. It set his eyes aflame, and I had to admit, he looked absolutely gorgeous.

“Would you mind elaborating for me, love?” he asked, taking my hand, “What is it you find ‘not so bad’ about me?”

I mirrored his smirk, then backhanded his chest. With no armor on, he felt the pain this time. Loki snatched my wrist and tackled me. I went into a giggling fit as he pinned me beneath him. He grinned wickedly. My breathing hitched when I looked up at him, and I tried to hide my reaction from him. Knowing him, he knew exactly what he was doing to me.

“You shit,” I breathed out.

Loki laughed and took my mouth as his.

“You still haven’t answered my question,” he reminded me.

“I do not intend to,” I popped off.

Loki raised an eyebrow at me.

“I have ways of getting it out of you,” he said, all too confident.

I eyed him.

“Do not try that with me, Loki,” I warned him.

Loki grinned.

“Try what?” he asked, leaning down to plant soft kisses on my neck.

“That power of deception crap. You know it doesn’t work on me,” I said.

He lifted his head up to look at me, our noses dangerously close to each other.

“How would you know that, my dear?” he asked, playing with a piece of my hair.

“Because I learned it from you!”

Loki laughed. I smiled at him and cupped his face.

“Is not a simple ‘I love you’ enough?” I asked.

Loki’s amusement was replaced by a soft smile and gentleness. A niceness no one, save for Frigga, knew he could possess.
He kissed my cheek and scooped me up, holding me in his lap. I put my arms around his neck and ran my fingers through his hair.

“Loki, you are beautiful. Inside and out. To me you are. You are gorgeous, caring, affectionate,” I listed.

I turned my head into him, burying my face in his neck.

Loki breathed in deeply and chuckled.

“‘I love you’ was all I needed to hear, Ave.”

He pulled back and I smiled at him. He stroked my cheek with the backs of his fingers.

“I love you, too,” he said softly.

He kissed me deeply.

Outside my chamber doors, the sound of Thor’s voice could be heard. He was looking for me and Loki.

“What time is it?” I asked curiously.

I crawled out of Loki’s lap and searched my side table for a clock. Unfortunately, there was none.

“Early,” Loki groaned.

He rolled over onto his back, covering his eyes with an arm.

“I could sleep longer, but we need to prepare to leave,” he grumbled.

I smiled at him.

“Someone’s grumpy,” I teased.

He pointed a finger at me, too tired to scold me.

“Can Heimdall bring us, and all of my belongings back? I mean, it’s not a lot since Odin destroyed a lot of it,” I said.

“I could have killed him for doing that,” he growled.

I watched him for a moment, not sure whether to go on. I knew my banishment angered him, and I hated talking about it. He glanced over at me when I didn’t respond.

“Sorry, darling. Yes, we can manage it all. Heimdall can bring back the Earth’s moon if he wanted. Besides, I know of several containment charms. We could fit your bed in your pocket if you like.”

I laughed.

“I don’t think that’ll be necessary, Loki.”

He smiled and shrugged. I crawled over to him and leaned down to kiss him.

“Thank-you, though,” I said.

“You’re welcome, love,” he said, then sat up and stood, “I will leave you in privacy so you can get ready. I will meet you with Thor in the entrance hall.”

I nodded.

“I’ll be there in a minute,” I replied.

Loki kissed my forehead before turning and leaving me. I quickly rushed into the bathroom for a quick shower, transformed the clothes I had been wearing into slightly different ones, then made my long hair presentable before leaving my chambers.
I walked down the long corridors of the palace, marching straight to the entrance hall. As I entered the last corridor before the front of the palace, a whipping of leather flaps sounded behind me. I stopped, my tennis shoes squeaking on the golden floor. Loki was approaching me, wearing his hair combed back, his full armor and jacket, plus the leather pants and boots to match. However, he was wearing one of his more lighter sets of armor. I felt my eyes widen. He didn’t look like a proper king. Not like Odin. He was still the rogue prince of Asgard to me. The rebel. To throw the title of king on him…was highly attractive. I said nothing and tried not to let it translate to my features.

“That was fast,” I blurted out.

Loki raised an eyebrow at me.

“Have you known me to stall?” he asked, taking my arm to escort me to the front doors.

I smiled up at him.

“No, dear Loki. You have always remained quite prompt,” I said, humoring him.

Loki smirked, then began to lead me to the entrance hall.

“It really does not take me long to prepare myself for the day,” he said, “Magic helps.”

I smiled and nodded.

Loki escorted me to the front doors. They were wide open. Six different horses stood in front of the doors, tacked and prepared to take us to the Bifrost. Three guards stood nearby, two holding the reins of a large black horse and a strawberry roan, and the other speaking to Thor, who was mounted on his steed of pure white. These horses were large and healthy, lean from exercise and shiny from a great diet and impeccable grooming. The other three, all brown in color, were smaller. They were guards’ horses, reserved for their service while the best of the breeds were reserved for royalty.
As we walked out, all three guards crossed their chests with their fists and bowed to Loki.

“My Lord, your horses are ready,” the middle one said.

Loki nodded.

“Take your mounts and follow us to the Observatory. You will then take our horses back to the stables. When we return, I will expect these horses waiting for us so will shall not have to cross the Bifrost on foot. Is that clear?”

They bowed. Thor looked over his shoulder.

“The sun is peaking, brother. Who is the late one now?” he asked teasingly.

“We are fine, Thor. Avery, come here,” Loki said.

I followed Loki to the roan’s left side.

“This is Rune,” he said.

I patted the horse’s hindquarter as I made my way around him.

“He’s the most gentle stallion we have. I requested him for you. I know it’s been a long time since you have ridden,” Loki began, taking the reins from the guard.

“Rune the Roan?” I asked.

Loki smiled.

“It was fitting. Would you like a leg up?” he asked.

I nodded. I reached up for the saddle, barely able to reach the pommel. Loki took my left leg as I sprang up and into the saddle. Rune did not move an inch. I settled into the saddle and placed the balls of my feet in the stirrups. Loki brought the reins over the horse’s head and handed them to me.

“You people and your tall horses,” I playfully grumbled.

Loki smiled and went to mount his horse. Thor laughed at me. Loki’s stallion was far taller than Rune, though, not much taller than Thor’s horse. However, Loki’s was tall enough to mount with no problems. I just shook my head.

“Are we ready?” Thor asked enthusiastically.

“I am,” I spoke up.

Loki sighed.

“To Midgard,” he said.

With that, we were off to visit Heimdall.

At the Observatory, Thor and Loki dismounted, and Loki kindly helped me dismount Rune. He was such a tall horse, but a very smooth ride and highly obedient. If I had the pleasure of getting time to myself here on Midgard, I would request him again for a joy ride through the forest.
Once the horses were taken away, Loki and I followed Thor inside the Observatory, where Heimdall was standing and ready to send us off. He bowed his helmeted head when he saw me.

“My lady, it is good to see you well. Our King was quiet distraught when you arrived. We feared the worst,” he said.

Loki bit the inside of his cheek to hide his embarrassment.

“Thank-you, good Heimdall. It is nice to see you again,” I said politely.

He nodded.

“Heimdall, please see to it that we are dropped in an isolated location,” Thor said, “I do not want to be detected by S.H.I.E.L.D.”

As he spoke with Heimdall, Loki leaned down to my ear.

“Where did those clothes come from?” he whispered.

I smirked.

“Magic,” I replied.

Loki smiled.

“I see you still refuse to wear Asgardian clothes,” he said.

I laughed.

“If we are not able to promptly return, we will need to be somewhere safe. The One-Eyed Man sees Loki and there will be another war,” Thor spoke to Heimdall.

I bit my lip and looked over Loki’s attire.

“You may need to change,” I told him.

Loki snorted.

“She is wise, brother. Midgardian clothing may not be so insane of an idea,” Thor said.

Loki glared daggers at Thor. It was no secret that he hated the idea. I took his hand, which was clenched tightly in a fist.

“There is only so much I can do to save your ass,” I hissed.

Loki sighed. His clothing glowed green and gold. His armor under his jacket transformed to a green t-shirt, his leather jacket shortened to a men’s everyday leather jacket, his leather pants to black jeans, and his boots to a pair of Converse, which were the only shoes he had seen me wear on Asgard. He refused to change anything else, though. Asgardian armor or not, he still looked like a rockstar.

Thor smiled at his brother and his armor vanished, replaced by a plain black t-shirt, boots and jeans.

“Will this suffice?” Loki asked.

I bit my lip. Then touched my hand to his chest, turning the green t-shirt a pale blue.

“That will,” I said.

Loki looked ready to kill me.

“They’ll be looking for green!” I insisted.

Loki rolled his eyes. Thor laughed a hearty laugh. Loki growled.

“Send us, Heimdall,” he ordered.

Heimdall nodded.

“As you wish, your Majesty,” he said.

Thor, Loki and I walked to our spot. Heimdall opened the gate and the Observatory began to spin around us. Thor bounced up and down on the balls of his feet, excited, while fidgeted. I hated traveling like this. Loki must have sensed my discomfort, for he put an arm firmly around my waist, and we were yanked through space.
When we landed, we were in the middle of a field. A farmhouse was off in the distance. My ankles gave me no support, and as soon as I landed, I collapsed to the ground and my heart began racing. Loki was over me in an instant. Thor kneeled beside me.

“Avery, sweetheart, are you alright?” Loki asked.

I nodded, trying to catch my breath.

“Just give me a minute,” I said breathlessly.

Thor chuckled.

“You used to be able to handle traveling like that,” he said.

I smiled. Loki stroked my cheek, his fingers icy to calm me.

“It has never been easy. Loki, help me up,” I said.

Loki took my hand and hauled me to my feet. I brushed off the grass that was sticking to me. We were in the middle of California. It was cool out, and barely morning. In the distance, a house with peeling white paint stood.

“Where are we, Avery?” Thor asked, looking around.

I sighed.

“My home,” I replied.

I laced my fingers with Loki’s.

“Let’s just get this over with,” I groaned.

I led the brothers through the field and up to the side door of the house.

“Is there no front door?” Thor asked.

I let out a pained sigh. I really didn’t want either of them seeing the place. It was a dump, but it was cheap, and it was all I could afford with the All-Father banished me. It was old, and needed updates, but it was functional and clean, and that was all that mattered to me. Until now, that is.

“It doesn’t open anymore,” I mumbled, “Look.”

I turned to face them.

“This place isn’t the worst place I’ve lived since my banishment, but it is still a dump, and I didn’t want you guys to ever know, but I also didn’t want Loki knowing what he knows.”

I had a feeling I had already said too much.

“Just please overlook what it is and help me gather my things,” I said.

They nodded. I reached above the door frame and grabbed the key, then opened it. Inside was a white and teal kitchen that looked like it was straight out of the 1950s. It was plain, and like most of the house, smelled like old musty wood. Thor and Loki timidly walked in and looked around, Thor shutting the door.

“This is not so bad,” Thor spoke up, “When I first met Jane, she was living in a metal room on wheels.”

I smiled at Thor.

“I’m sure it was far nicer than this place,” I said, Loki following me through the kitchen, “Loki, hun, watch your step. There’s a hole in under the linoleum somewhere.”

Loki stopped, one foot in the air.

“This isn’t so bad, Avery,” Thor insisted.

“Thor, it’s not safe. One slip and she could break her leg!” Loki argued.

“Guys, please. Let’s just hurry and go. Any second this place could be surrounded in black cars and helicopters.”

They nodded and followed me. I lead them through the living room. The floor beneath us creaked with every step.

“Thor, you can start on the hall closet. It’s just boxes of important documents and stuff,” I said.

Thor nodded and opened he closet. I led Loki to my bedroom.

“Avery?” Loki asked, shutting the door to as I walked around the bed and pulled out a wooden box I kept my witchcraft tools in from beneath a rickety side table.

“What, Loki?” I sighed.

He walked over to me as I grabbed a stack of books and journals from beneath the bed. I felt him wrap his arms around my waist and nuzzle his face against the side of my head.

“Why do you feel so ashamed?” he asked softly.

I sighed and closed my eyes.

“You said you’ve lived in worse,” he pointed out.

“I know, but it’s sad that this was my high point. During my visits here, I lived well. Not the high-life, but nothing like this. You’re seeing a low point for me, Loki.”

Loki kissed my shoulder. I bit my lip.

“It’s over now,” he said.

I let out a shaky breath. A life of humility, pain, and sadness I had never known before and, hopefully, would never know again, was over. I never wanted this to happen—Loki and Thor seeing this. I didn’t want them putting their pity on me. I just wanted the old days back.

“I just didn’t want you to see this, Loki. You know me. You know I wouldn’t settle for this if I didn’t have to. I just…didn’t feel like making anything better was worth it.”

Loki moved in front of me and sat down on my bed.

“Why not?” he asked, not too pleased with me.

I looked down and shook my head. Loki reached up and took my hands.

“Did you fear everything would be taken away from you? Again?” he asked, sympathy scribbled across his features.

I stared at him for a moment, trying to process his question. I had not thought about it passed the point of just not wanting to put any effort in making anything special. In my mind, special was Asgard, and carefree living, and Loki and Thor, and magic, and that was it. Midgardians had hurt me. Earth was not special. It reminded me of everything poisonous, and what happened with Loki in New York, and it simply scared me. But losing the little I had, which was just a bit more than what I had to begin with? I had lost my home, my friends, my life, my belongings…
Loki, in a sense, was right. Why make something with my life, if it was only going to be ripped away from me again?

“Yeah,” I whispered.

Loki frowned and brought my hands up to kiss my knuckles.

“You don’t have to worry about that any longer,” he said.

I leaned down and hugged him.

“Let’s pack up. I want you to show me where you think that portal is,” he said.

I nodded. Loki stood and began to straighten and charm my books while I went to retrieve my duffel bag and fill it with clothes.

“Now, I recognize this,” Loki said.

I turned to see him holding up a large, black leather book with shiny blue runes etched into it. I had several Books of Shadows, and that one was one Loki made for me. All Jotun magic.

“You know to be extremely careful with this magic, right?” he asked.

I pulled a bundle of socks from my drawer.

“I’ve never used it. I just keep it because it’s special and reminds me of you,” I said.

Loki shrunk my books.

“Where would you like these?” he asked.

I turned to see him hold a cube between his index finger and thumb.

“There a backpack in the closet,” I said.

Loki nodded and went to retrieve it. We finished packing everything I would need in my room, then I sent him to the living room with Thor to pack my movies and the gear necessary to make them work. I didn’t have much, but I did have my movies, and I couldn’t part with them. I knew I could find a way to watch them on Asgard.
After packing my bathroom essentials, we moved everything to the kitchen in preparation to leave. As I set my backpack on the table, the house rattled hard as a jet passed over. Loki jumped and Thor stared at the ceiling. I wouldn’t have noticed it, had they not reacted.

“There’s a military airport a few miles away. It was just a jet,” I explained.

Loki looked horrified.

“You could have mentioned that, Ave,” he hissed.

“I told you they’d be looking for green, Loki!” I snapped.

Loki rolled his eyes.

“We’ll just cast an illusion around us when we go outside. Thor, keep a lookout, please,” I said.

Thor nodded. I opened the kitchen door and peeked around the sky.

“Clear. Loki, come on.”

Loki stepped passed Thor and onto the steps. I took his hand and cast a masking charm around us. Loki seemed impressed, but then cast his own around us, trying to top me.

“It had a hole in it,” he said innocently.

I smiled and shook my head. In the distance, I heard the whirring of an aircraft.

“Your magic used to be so seamless,” he said.

I looked up to the sky, seeing nothing.

“Well, I still need to recharge. My mind’s been fucked with,” I said.

I took his wrist and began to lead him to the woods across the field.

“You know I would have come and found you if I could. I never expected things were this bad,” he said.

He took my hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

“What’s life without a little chaos?” I asked.

Loki’s eyes lit up and a wicked grin crossed his features.

“I knew there was a reason I loved you,” he said lowly, his voice like velvet.

I smirked at him.

“Let’s go find the portal. You think the Jotuns are up to this?” I asked.

“Perhaps. However, I fear it’s something worse,” he said.

I gritted my teeth.

“What were you doing out here, anyway?” he asked curiously as we walked through the tree line and down a trail originally worn away by animals, and now my feet.

“Jogging. Got to amuse myself some how. In the summer, I run it barefoot to reconnect myself with the Earth,” I said.

Loki looked puzzled.

“It’s just, uh, a mental thing. It helps heal my aura when I’m in a funk,” I tried to explain.

Loki simply nodded.

“Was it a hole in the ground?” he asked.

I shook my head.

“I don’t remember. It was getting dark,” I replied.

Loki walked slightly ahead of me, keeping a keen eye on the ground so he could stop me before I fell to Jotunheim again.

“Do you know how to seal a portal?” I asked.

Loki shook his head.

“If I knew the complete history and purpose, I could, but not a random hole in Midgard,” he replied.

I nodded. Loki and I walked deeper into the woods before we felt a cold blast of air come from in front of us. Loki stopped and held me back by an arm. In front of us was nothing but dead leaves and dirt. Loki knelt down and picked up a stick. He tossed it, and within a flash of light, it disappeared.

“There it is,” he said.

I looked up worriedly at him.

“Can Frost Giants come up through it?” I asked.

He looked down at me.

“How did you land in Jotunheim?”

I snorted.

“Right on my face,” I said bitterly.

He nodded.

“Then it’s presumable that you fell from on high. They can’t make it through,” he said, “They’re stupid.”

“How many do you think have fallen through this, though?” I asked, “I’m sure many animals have passed through it. Someone is bound to notice Midgardian creatures appearing in the same place over and over again,” I said.

Loki stared at the invisible portal in thought.

“It’s only a matter of time before this becomes a major issue,” he said.

I nodded.

“I’ll get to the bottom of it. For now,” Loki paused and scorched a tree beside us, leaving a black circle in the trunk, marking the spot.

“Let’s focus on getting you home,” he said.

He took my hand and led me back out of the woods. At the treeline, we heard a jet. I pushed Loki back and looked up to the sky.

“Lots of air traffic today,” he remarked.

I squinted as a flying object soared in from the north. It was no jet, but flew like one.

“We may have been spotted,” Loki said lowly.

A red and gold object flew southwards.

“Is that…Stark?” I asked.

“I fear so,” Loki replied.

Once out of sight and hearing range, Loki snatched my hand.

“We need to get out of here. Run,” he ordered.

With that, we bolted out of the trees and back to the farmhouse. When we reentered the kitchen, Thor rushed us.

“I saw the metal man. He must have been informed of our arrival!” he said, his excitement dangerous in the tiny kitchen.

“We saw him, too,” I said.

“Did you find the portal?” he asked.

“We did,” Loki replied.

“How could the metal man have not seen the mark in the grass where we landed?” Thor asked, confused.

“I disguised it,” Loki replied.

Thor exhaled sharply, like an angry bull.

“You need to take her home, brother. I will check—“

Overhead, two more jets flew over. We looked outside to see military jets head south where Stark had flown.

“Then again, if you leave, you may be caught for sure,” Thor finished.

“It’s a chance we’ll risk,” I said.

Loki looked down at me, shocked.

“Darling, we—“

“Loki! Take. Me. Home!” I demanded, “It’s not safe for you here. It’s not safe for me. Let Thor handle this. He’s fully capable.”

Thor nodded in agreement. Loki watched me with sad eyes. I closed my eyes.

“I didn’t mean to use that tone with you. Just please, take me back to Asgard,” I pleaded.

Loki sighed and stroked my cheek.

“Of course, love,” he said.

I nodded and began to chew my nails nervously while the brothers briefly discussed Thor’s course of action. I was beginning to a have a mild freak out. I had heard the stories of what happened to Loki on the helicarrier. I wasn’t going to lose him now. I needed to get him back to the safety of Asgard.

“I will speak with the Avengers. If anywhere in all of the Nine Realms is safe for the two of you, it’s headquarters,” Thor spoke, “For now, go home.”

Loki nodded.

“Report to me as soon as you receive word,” he said.

Thor nodded. Loki and I quickly grabbed my belongings, enchanted to fit into three bags, and walked outside.

“Heimdall, we’re ready,” Loki said.

He took my waist, and in a flash, we were back in the Observatory, leaving Thor behind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! Please comment and subscribe!