Status: Under Construction: Being Remodeled

Save Me

Chapter 3

Beau felt like she was freezing. Her body trembled in the cold night air. How could the sun take away the heat so fast? In vain, Beau blew her warm breath on her hands and rubbed them together. The warmth didn't last but now she felt a little more comfortable.

The sun had finally finished setting in an array of pinks, oranges, yellows and purples. Beau had a feeling she would always need to see when the sun set with its variety of colors. That same beautiful sight left Beau captivated but it seemed most of the warmth had gone with the sunset.

Beau shivered when the breeze brought another cold gush of air. Must it be so cold at night? The log was fairly closeby but she didn't want to move. The flames danced with the flow of air almost calling out her name. Beau gave into temptation and huddled closer to the fire to get warm abandoning her perch on the log. Beau held out her hands and arms to the fire.

Suddenly, Beau saw a flash of red heading towards her. She grabbed it on reflex feeling it's softness. Beau brought it closer to her face to see what it was. The cloth was long so maybe it's a blanket?

Beau looked up at the perpetrator of the throw. Mulan was walking to the other side of the fire. Her long hair moved on the night air. Mulan turned her head to look back at Beau with her face in its famous mask.

"Use it," Mulan nodded toward her. She kept walking the perimeter of the fire before stopping nearly at its head. The fire was rather large Beau thought. It was made in an almost perfect circle where Mulan was at the farthest point.

Mulan stopped at that point. The forest floor held layers of fallen branches and dry leaves to choose from. She bent and picked up some dry branches throwing it into the flames. Mulan added more wood to the fire and settled herself on the ground sitting perfectly balanced with her back straight.

Beau spread the blanket over her shoulders and wrapped herself in its softness. The blanket was worn yet thick in the best of ways. Beau looked up ready to thank Mulan when she noticed something was missing. She looked at Mulan trying to see what was wrong with the picture of the stoic warrior.

Mulan looked dangerous with the way the way the flames lit up the sharp planes of Mulan's face. Her hair was still in the half tied back style of when Mulan rescued Beau. Mulan's hair was still escaping its confinement as seen with the dark strands and wild in her face. The heavy armor with its metal decorations hid every feminine feature Mulan possessed with the way it encased her. There used to be a flash of color attached to her shoulders but now it was absent.

Her red cape was missing.

"What are you doing?" Beau asked breaking the silence. The silence in this forest was anything but welcome. It made the sounds of the unknown animals magnify and echo among the trees. Those sounds made a chill down Beau's spine.

At that moment, Mulan could'nt be found. Her body was sitting across from Beau in a stance of perfect tension but her mind was traveling into the unknown. Mulan had been looking deep into the flames almost searching for answers. Mulan was a warrior, a fighter. Maybe talking would put Beau's mind at ease.

Mulan looked up a little confused by the struck of random conversation.

"I'm making a fire." Mulan stated the obvious throwing a few more branches to feed the fire. The fire through was growing and the warmth greeted Beau enthusiastically.

"I mean your mission, " Beau clarified remaining patient. She was the picture of innocence sitting across from Mulan. Her ankle were twisted into her chest raising the skirt to show tanned legs. The hem of her empire waist dress was brown with mud and dirt. The red cape was wrapped all over Beau hiding the v-necked bust. Wide milk chocolate eyes turned into mahogany at the flames insistence begging for answers.

Mulan's gaze returned to Beau swayed to continue answering.

"My mission is to help Philip save his true love."

Beau walked closer to Mulan around the camp fire. She found a good spot a couple inches from Mulan and sat near her.

"What is a true love?" Beau implored looking straight at Mulan.

Mulan thought hard about how to answer this question.

How could you explain something you never felt? No one had ever wanted Mulan in that way before. She had been easily ignored or hawked at for being outspoken and different from what a woman was supposed to be at her village.

How can a warrior explain something you're not suppose to have? Few people stay with them. There is always a chance of that loved one not coming home. Mulan knew warriors were never lonely but rarely loved. A woman had no chance at this. No man would ever marry a woman more powerful and stronger than him.

How can a female warrior explain something that will probably never happen to her?
Mulan was not meant to serve a man. She fought for something better and achieved it in saving China. That meant everyone knew her and no one could love her.

"I'm sorry, " Beau said in a rush.

Mulan had turned so introspective at the question. Her facial expression had been passive before but as each minute passed, her face and eyes lowered into a desolate work of art.

"It's okay. I'm not sure what it is." Mulan tried to comfort the sorry woman but she was out of practice.

Mulan added another piece of wood to the fire to keep herself busy.

The fire allowed Beau to see Mulan.

The fire showed the many dimensions of this strong warrior. Before it had outlined her strength and vibe of absolute power. Now it broadcasted the way her almond brown eyes and how it gave way to dark lashes. It showed how her bronzed created a perfect heart shaped face. Her narrow straight nose gave way to soft bow lips and a soft chin. This woman was beautiful even in sadness.

Beau reached out her hand and touched Mulan's shoulder.

She had been mistaken.

It was leather not metal. The leather was tough much like it's owner.

Mulan smiled at Beau revealing a hidden pair of perfectly straight white teeth.

The smile transformed Mulan's face into one of an angel.

"It's okay," she said kind of awkwardly not adept at comfort.

Beau quieted but leaned on Mulan's shoulders. They were broad and strong: the shoulders of the loyal.

Beau shut her eyes and was dead to the world feeling protected by the awestruck warrior.

Mulan felt the weight on her shoulders and saw a head of dark hair all over her shoulder pad.

She felt warm and awed at how much trusttrust Beau bestowed on her.

A gloved reached over to touch the innocent amnesiac.

"I'll protect you," Mulan whispered in thethe dead of night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please review!