In the Days of Hellscream

Initiation

In the dead of night, as the stars and moon loom over the village Echo Isles, the villagers begin to surround a tall, raging bonfire set outside the hut of their leader, Vol’jin. They all gather around the small inner circle of brave men and women that stand closest to the fire: the hunters. The dancing flames of the fire glow bright orange and cast shadows on the dirt at the feet of each hunter as he stands in silence. Placed upon the face of each one is a mask. These masks are ones that resemble each hunter’s initiation into the life: their first kill. At the center of the circle that they form around the roaring blaze stands a young woman next to a man that towers over her. The sound of drums can be heard emanating from the darkness that lurks just beyond the fire’s casted light.

The man at the center is the well-known, honored leader of the Darkspear clan: Vol’jin. Completing nearly impossible tasks and overcoming overwhelming obstacles, Vol’jin became a shadow hunter at a young age. He claimed his place as the leader of the Darkspear clan when he returned from First Home (where he had passed the tests to become a shadow hunter) only to find the Darkspear village in shambles and to learn that his father, Sen’jin, had been defeated by the Sea Witch. Filling his predecessor’s shoes, Vol’jin has led the Darkspear trolls through unimaginable hardships; and though it may be difficult at times, it is through devout faith and loyalty to their leader that the Darkspear drudge onward and live their lives, continuing to produce some of the fiercest warriors the Horde has ever known.

The young woman next to Vol’jin stands tall, a solemn expression placed upon her face. Everything about her posture and mannerisms exudes an air of pride. The lean muscle seen from under the thick leather tunic and leggings she wears is a result of the rigorous training her body has endured. A pale white scar that runs the width of her chest is the only flaw on the bright blue skin that contrasts her fiery red hair. Her eyes, which seem to be fixed upon something far off in the distance, match the color of the scalding embers that lie at the foot of the fire.

Soon, every villager is packed in tight around the inner circle, some craning their necks to catch a glimpse of the ritual about to take place. A few young trolls are seen placed upon the shoulders of their elders, and their eyes glow with excitement as they look around at each hunter. Enthusiastic whispers are heard as several villagers carry on conversations about the new hunter of the Darkspear.

In an instant, all commotion is ceased as Vol’jin raises his hand to signal the start of the ceremony. For a few short moments, sheer silence consumes Echo Isle as Vol’jin looks around and studies the faces of those gathered around the fire. With dignity in his voice, Vol’jin begins an introductory speech:

“We be gathered here today ta celebrate da comin’ of age of one of our own. Becomin’ a hunter is not an easy feat as dees brave young men and women who now stand around us may know; but it ‘tis through hardwork and determination dat one may come outta dis rigorous trainin’ alive to claim da esteemed title they have so rightfully earned: a hunter of da Darkspear.

It makes me proud ta be da one ta initiate our newest hunter. Standing by da side of da Darkspear, even when it meant walkin’ away from her fatha, she has fought hard ta become a hunter and earn da love and respect of each person in dis village. Through even the toughest of times, this brave young woman has showed nothing but devotion to the Darkspear clan, and it ‘tis such devotion dat has led her to da place she is at today.”

Vol’jin looks into the crowd and signals for someone to step forward. The hunter’s mother emerges, and at the sight of her daughter, her lips pull back against her tusks as a smile spreads across her face. In her hand she carries a mask decorated with the pink and blue scales of the raptors which her daughter killed. As she hands the mask to Vol’jin, he continues:

“I stand up here taday ta honor our new hunter as if she were my own daughta because jus’ like I loved her fatha, whom you all know was my greatest childhood friend, I love her as well,” Vol’jin steps forward, outstretching the hand that contains the mask, “Vartokk, know dat I be truthful when I say dat there is no troll worthier of dis title den da young woman dat now stands before me. Welcome to da hunters of da Darkspear.”

Chest swelling with pride while fighting back tears from Vol’jin’s speech, Vartokk accepts the mask in his outstretched hand. They both give a small bow. She can feel the smooth texture of the scales that cover the wooden mask as she holds it in her hands. She knows that, once placed upon her face, the mask is what truly initiates her as a hunter. As she raises it, the silence that consumes Echo Isle continues, and she can almost feel the anticipation emanating from each person in the crowd.
Just before covering her face, Vartokk glimpses at her mother who stands right beside Vol’jin. Both have love and pride written on their faces. All she has ever strived for was making them proud and her success at doing so almost brings tears of joy to her eyes.

With one last deep breath, she maneuvers her tusks through the holes on the mask and pulls the twine to the back of her head. Looking up through the eyes of her mask, she sees everyone clapping as the drums begin again from somewhere in the dark.

I’ve done it. Vartokk thinks to herself, I have finally become a hunter of da Darkspear. Through everythin’ my belief in Vol’jin and my devotion to our clan has led me ta dis moment: ta earning da title of a Darkspear hunter.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment and let me know what you think!