Time Bomb

Chapter Two

The first stop was Calgary, not a place Josh wanted Riley, not since her last visit there five years ago. She was visiting a friend from high school when she’d met a guy. Josh hated the idea of it from the get go, but who was he to judge? As he suspected the guy turned out to be a huge asshole, but Riley refused to see it until he ended up in jail with more theft and drug charges than any one person ever should.

Letting the past fall into place, Josh decided that it was unlikely the guy was even out of jail yet and Riley was smart, whether she applied it or not. Besides, she was going to be on the bus most of the stop, what trouble could she get into? Josh knew better than to tempt fate, climbing out of his bunk he gently knocked on the side of Riley’s, only to find it empty.

“Riles?” Josh called out.

“In the front.” Riley called back to him.

Following the voice, Josh found the rest of his bus mates sitting around a television while Riley challenged Mike to a video game, Matt and Ian cheering them on respectively. Throwing her hands up in victory, Riley, Matt and Ian cheered loudly as Mike hung his head in defeat. Throwing out a playful insult, Riley handed the controller to Ian and went to sit down at the small table across from Josh.

“Can I help you?” She asked him with an awkward smile.

Josh nodded, giving her a small smile. So far things were going good and he wanted it to stay that way.

“When we’re stopped, don’t go too far from the bus. Better yet, just stay on the bus.” Josh encouraged.

“Josh.” Riley whined, wrinkling her nose at the idea.

“Just stay on the bus, okay.” Josh ordered, getting up from the table to go get ready for the day.

Pulling up to the venue a few short hours later, the guys got ready to get off the bus and get into the venue. Riley sat in her bunk sulking like a small child. It was worse than being at home with her mother at this rate, at least with her mother she could sneak out of the house and not get noticed. Josh probably had eyes all over the place, waiting for the second Riley slipped up in any way.

Having enough to sitting around, by the third hour, Riley got brave and decided to head inside the venue. There would be at least twenty other people inside, it wasn’t as if she’d be able to get away with anything. Grabbing a sweater, she pulled it around herself and slipped on her shoes before popping her head out of the bus. The cool fall air greeted her happily as she darted across the street and toward the venue.

Josh had set her up with everything she’d need; slipping in passed the security man at the stage door wasn’t that difficult as she flashed him a band access lanyard with an innocently sweet smile. Finding her way around inside the venue was a no brainer, once she found the side stage area Riley began looking for any familiar face. A few crew men wandered around and a frazzled looking dark haired guy she had seen pop on and off the other bus a few times, Matt said something about him being a tour manager.

Riley winced, the poor guy looked like he was about to murder someone right after he had a strong drink to calm his nerves. Chuckling to herself, she pressed forward. Hanging out, checking over cases and what not was a guy, he was around Matt’s height, with dark hair and a tank top on. Was he stupid? It was cold outside and in.

“I’m Riley.” She introduced herself to the dark haired guy checking over the black and white bass.

Not saying anything, he only nodded before walking away. Frowning, Riley moved back to where she noticed Ian was checking over his drum kit, making sure everything was in working order.

“Wow, are they all anti-social over there?” Riley asked Ian with a chuckle.

“Nah, not really.” Ian shook his head, his curls bouncing slightly. “That’s Zack Merrick, he doesn’t talk much.” He explained. “It’s not personal, so don’t let it get ya.”

Riley nodded in understanding, taking a seat on a ledge next to where Ian was setting things up. Swinging her feet back and forth she watched the drummer work, quietly not wanting to bother him any. She was interrupted when she heard an all too familiar voice calling to her. Looking up, Riley saw Mike and Josh walking toward her. Josh didn’t look half as happy to see her as what Mike did.

“Aren’t you supposed to be on the bus?” Josh asked with a raised brow, eyeing Riley.

“Josh, I can’t stay on the bus all tour. You need to let me off once and a while.” Riley whined.

“She’s right; you can’t keep someone contained against their will.” Mike added with a shrug.

“Promise you won’t get into trouble?” Josh asked. He was giving in way too quick.

If he let her walk all over him now, it would only be downhill. Maybe giving her the space wasn’t such a bad idea, he had to get respect by giving it. Why did Josh get the sick feeling that the next place he’d see his cousin was in a janitor’s closet giving Alex Gaskarth a blowjob. No! Josh refused to even go there, for several reasons.

“Pinkie.” Riley held up her pinkie finger to him, bringing him back to his reality.

“I’ll watch her until we have to take stage.” Mike offered slinging an arm around Riley.

“Thanks Ayley. See Joshie, Mike won’t let me into any trouble.” She said beaming.

Hanging out with Mike wasn’t all that bad; Riley adored Mike and his goofy tendencies. They spent the afternoon chatting even while Mike worked to get things done. During the All Time Low set, Mike insisted Riley hang with him side stage and take a listen. They weren’t bad, not the best Riley had ever heard, but not the worst. Their on stage manner was that of typical guys their age and their jokes were a bit stale, though the crowd seemed to love them. A plus was the fact they weren’t overly hard on the eyes.

As one set ended and they took a small break before the next, Josh rushed over to Riley. He was dressed like a Ring Leader and Riley couldn’t help but laugh at him. Making a joke about being lost on his way to the circus, she only got a stiff chuckle from her cousin.

“So, what do you want?”Riley asked as the guy she knew as the drummer from the opening band walked up beside them.

“This.” Josh pointed to the guy with the buzz cut and perfect teeth. “Is Rian Dawson. He’s going to walk you back to the bus. We’re out of here as soon as our set is over, lots of business tomorrow.”

“Oh.” Riley frowned; she was hoping to catch Marianas Trench doing what they seemed to do best, aside from making fun of Ian.

“So, you two are good?” Josh asked nodding eagerly. Riley smiled and nodded. “Okay, I’ll see you later, thanks man.” Josh waved rushing off.

Awkward silence.

Even though they were backstage at a concert, it was the only thing Riley could hear and she knew Rian heard it too. He had been asked by Josh to take Riley to the bus, to make sure she got there safely. Rian didn’t mind helping, although he suspected Josh had picked him because it had something to do with manners, respect to women and the fact he wasn’t easily swayed by a pulse and a pair of tits unlike his band mates. Never, would Rian disagree with any of those.

“So, Riley.” Rian said smiling at her and clapping his hands together awkwardly. “You’re Josh’s cousin?”

“I am.” Riley nodded as she turned to head back to the buses.

Rian kept up to her leisurely pace quite easily as they walked. Neither one were in a real hurry. If he played his cards right, Rian could get a few minutes in with the girl who had been driving his band mate nuts, from afar. Jack would have a fit, if he knew Rian got to talk to her.

“Are you from Vancouver too?” Rian continued his questions.

“Born and raised. How about you?” Riley asked, shoving her hands in her pockets.

“Baltimore area.” Rian answered. “We all are, although Alex was born in England.” He explained. Riley nodded.

“I’ve never been to either place.” Riley confessed, walking to the stage door that would lead them outside.

Opening and holding the door for Riley, Rian chuckled. “Maybe I am bias, but Baltimore is nice. The UK is too.”

Stepping outside in to the dark and chilly Alberta evening, Rian and Riley hurried across the street toward the buses fairly unnoticed. Reaching the big black bus, Rian turned hearing someone yelling his name, preparing himself he pulled out a marker, only to realize it was Jack running around the back of the bus toward him.

Seeing that Rian wasn’t alone, Jack’s face lit up. Ignoring his friend, all of a sudden, he started toward Riley who was opening up the door to the bus. Rian shook his head and groaned, way to go Jack! He mentally face palmed for his friend doing exactly what he wasn’t supposed to. They had been asked to leave Riley be, but maybe talking wouldn’t be so bad.

“Hey, how’d you like the....” Jack started, only to be cut off by Alex, also running around the bus.

“Jack!”Another voice called. Rian knew it was Alex as he shouted again. “Party! Did you forget?” Alex asked, his arms hanging at his side for emphasis.

“Come on you asshole.” Rian said smacking Jack in the shoulder. “Nice talking, Riley!” he called steering Jack back toward Alex.

“Uh..yeah.” Jack nodded turning to follow his friends.

Seriously, had they never told him to stay away Jack would have never thought half as much about this girl as he had been.