Time Bomb

Chapter Twenty-Seven

“Is that everything?” Ian asked looking around the empty house.

“I think that is it.” Mike nodded, doing a quick sweep over to be entirely sure they hadn’t left anything behind.

The house looked bare, which is was, Riley with the help of Jack, and a few others had cleaned up her house. They had donated things she didn’t need to good will, along with most of her mother’s belongings. It had taken three days, a long three days. Riley had never cried so much in her life, toward the end of the third day it had got a little more bearable. She was able to do more than sit and sob in the corner while the others worked. They hadn’t expected her to work, only to be there to tell them where she wanted things to go.

It was trying and Jack admired her for being able to get through it with the strength and sanity she had. Here they were now, making sure everything was in order for her and Jack to go back to Baltimore. Josh had a real estate agent coming to look at the house the next morning; Riley didn’t want to be around for that. By the time the lady came to sell her home, she would be at her new home, with Jack.

Walking out of the house, Riley and Jack said their goodbyes, Riley giving everybody a hug as she worked her way through. While they said their farewells, Matt had loaded their luggage into the back of a cab, who would then take them to the airport. Riley had asked everybody to make this the end of the line; she didn’t want to risk bawling in the middle of the airport in front of thousands of strangers.

If she cried here, nobody but her friends and a random cabbie would see. It was easier to live with. Taking Jack’s hand as she hugged Kevvy one last time, until they saw one another again, Riley waved over her shoulder and walked with Jack to the cab. Opening the door, Jack went to get in when Riley froze. Silently he hoped she wasn’t changing her mind.

“Are you ready?” Jack asked, giving Riley an encouraging smile.

“I think so.” Riley nodded, squeezing his hand tightly before letting go. “I’ll be right back.”

Letting her go, Jack slid into the back seat of the cab, watching through the open door as Riley bounded across the drive and into Josh’s arms. Hugging him tightly, she sighed and sniffled. No tears, this wasn’t the time. She had promised herself that there would be no tears, no matter what.

“All set?” Josh asked hugging her tightly to him.

“I guess.” Riley answered quietly. “I’m going to miss you.”

“Hey, it’s not like this is forever. We can visit one another, as often as we can. We’ll still talk every day. This is going to be a good thing, I promise.” Josh spoke, trying not to cry himself.

“Do you think so?”

“I know so!” He smiled. “No go on, Jack is waiting and the cab meter is running.”

Waving good bye to her cousin, friends, and her old life Riley slowly walked back toward the taxi that was waiting to take her and Jack to the airport. Once she was inside, the driver pulled away from the curb. Turning around Riley waved wildly from the back window, on the edge of her old drive, she saw her friends waving back at her. So this is what it was like, to drive away and see everything you’ve ever known disappear into the background.

It was an odd feeling, one which terrified her and one that excited her all at the same time. She had been with Jack before, but that had been different, before she always had the option of coming home. This time, Baltimore was to become her home. It wasn’t saying that she couldn’t or wouldn’t return to Vancouver, because she could. If things worked out in her favour, for once in her life, then there would be no need to return aside from the odd vacation or occasional holiday.

After everything that had gone on in the last few years, hell in the last few months, Riley needed a fresh start. Make that she wanted a fresh start, here she was getting it. Asking Jack to take her home, to Baltimore, was possibly the best decision she had made in years. As the cab turned off of her old street and headed in the direction of the airport, Riley turned back around practically sitting on Jack’s lap.

Riley gave him the biggest smile Jack had ever seen on her face. Her piercing blue eyes were bright and her smile infectious. Smiling back at her, he clasped her hand in his, giving her another gently squeeze of reassurance. This was right. Jack knew that this was the right thing. He couldn’t wait until they got back home, his home, now hers as well. The idea of sharing everything with Riley made him giddy. Jack felt like a small child on Christmas. It wasn’t just about the fact he had somebody he really loved and adored, although that was part of it. Jack was also happy that Riley was getting to start over.

They could leave behind whatever troubles they once had, because those issues didn’t matter anymore.

“I love you.” Jack whispered his lips close to her ear.

“I love you too.” Riley grinned, giving him a chaste kiss on the cheek and a wink.

Several hours and a few flights later, they found themselves standing in front of the familiar house. Riley remembered her first time here, how she had been slightly intimidated about what was to come; now all she cared about was getting inside and getting something to eat. Finally, Jack got the damn door open. Pushing open the front door, he grabbed their bags and motioned for Riley to go in ahead of him. Cautiously stepping inside the house, Riley felt a wave of relief wash over her.

The house smelled and looked the same as she remembered, not that it was too far of a stretch. It had only been a month or two since she was last here; she hadn’t truly expected Jack to change it that much. Shrugging off her jacket, she hung it on top of Jack’s which sat on the back of a chair. They would put them away later, for now getting comfortable was the key.

Their luggage was sitting in the entrance way and Jack had made his way into the kitchen. It was the first room he always went to when he came back from being away for more than a few hours. Somehow he had read Riley’s mind, pulling out all of his take out menus stashed in a drawer by the fridge.

“I’m too tired to cook.” He announced sheepishly.

“Me too.” Riley agreed whole heartedly. Picking up a menu, she paused as Jack’s long arms wrapped around her and his head rested on her shoulder. “Can I help you?”

“I just wanted to be the first to say, welcome home.” Jack grinned, kissing the top of her head and pulling her back tighter to his chest.

“I’m happy to be here.” She replied sitting the menu down and turning to face Jack.

“Are you...happy?” Jack cautiously posed his question. His dark brown eyes searched her for some kind of a clue.

“You know Jack, for once I really am.” Riley smiled, pushing herself onto her tip toes and giving him a kiss.

Jack smiled kissing her back. He was happy to hear her say that. It was good! She deserved it.
♠ ♠ ♠
and that is it, the last chapter :) thanks for reading.