Time Bomb

Chapter Six

The day was overcast and slightly damp, when Riley scooted across the parking lot back toward the bus where she was supposed to be. She had woken up in the most awkward position on the sofa, her arms tangled in Jack’s legs. Riley remembered Jack laughing at the movie and her laughing at him, after that it seemed as though the next thing she remembered was the sound of someone moving things around. Opening her eyes she had found herself still on the second bus, still on the couch, still with Jack while Zack seemed to go about his own business not paying attention to the other two.

Jack had started to stir shortly after, greeting the day with his goofy smile and a large yawn. Riley had thanked him for the fun and decided it was best she get back, before Josh noticed she was missing. It was only six in the morning, surely Josh wouldn’t even be dreaming of getting out of bed yet. Riley had been absolutely correct.

Slipping onto the large tour bus, she tried to be as quiet as possible. The plan was to shower and get ready for the day before the others woke up, hogging everything. Instead her plans got a wee bit waylaid when she reached the final step of the bus.

“Where were you?” Matt asked crossing his arms over his chest and eyeing Riley as she moved into the small kitchen. Hi

“I was watching movies with Jack, by the time we got done it was too late and we were on the road.” Riley answered shrugging off her coat. “Why?”

“Josh has no idea you weren’t in your bunk, he came in and went right to bed himself, but if he finds out you’re in shit.” Matt replied with a shrug moving his freshly washed hair out of his eyes.

“Then he won’t find out, or I’ll tell him your little secret.” Riley smiled sweetly patting Matt on the cheek and winking at him.

Slipping off to the shower before the others got up and ready for the day, Riley knew she could hold it to Matt to keep his mouth shut. If he decided to tell Josh about her sneaking out, then she’d tell Josh a few things she had over Matt and Matt wouldn’t want that. Telling Josh what she knew about Matt also had potential to get her in shit, but Riley felt it could be worth the risk. After all Josh would be so furious with Matt, he wouldn’t even bother to take note that Riley was part of it.

Moving passed her thoughts; Riley happily stepped into the shower and let the water begin to wash her worries and cares away. Finishing up, she stepped out and wrapped her towel around her body, her cell phone beeping at her with a flashing screen. Picking it up, she smiled seeing Jack’s name along with an indication he had sent her a text. He must have put his number in her phone after she went to sleep.

Good Morning, Smiley Riley! I had fun, we should hang again. Jack

Sending Jack back a text agreeing, Riley got dressed and pulled her hair out of the way, once she was ready to face the day and Josh she emerged back into a world of shouting, laughter and all around tour behaviour that came with these guys. Ian was the first to spot her, loudly calling out to her asking whether she wanted blueberry or banana pancakes, apparently it was Riley’s choice that would break the tie. Going with banana, Ian, Mike and Brett cheered excitedly as Josh and Matt grumbled about how much they hated losing.

Throughout the day Riley had continued to text Jack back and forth, earning a question or two from Josh about who she was talking to and why. Riley had played it off, telling him that she was talking to the only friend she had that Josh found half way decent. When Josh was satisfied, he told Riley to tell Gillian he said “hello”.

Knowing that it was risky if Josh found her sneaking out, Riley had to get clever with it. The second night she hung out with Jack, she had used the excuse she was going to get some air and wouldn’t leave to go far. It had just fallen dark and the pair decided to hang out at a small park across from where the buses were parked for the time being. Riley enjoyed Jack’s company; he was funny and knew how to make the smallest things seem like the best time ever.

The sneaking out continued, one evening Riley waited until the others were in bed and she knew they were asleep, Texting Jack to tell him she was coming over to hang out. They had spent the time playing a video game with Alex in the back lounge, until Alex decided to go hang out with Rian in the front. Things had got a bit out of hand when Alex and Rian came back and suggested a drinking game. Josh would kill them all if he knew, but what he didn’t know wouldn’t hurt anybody.

Tonight they were parked for the evening, staying in a hotel just to get off of the buses and enjoy an actual bed in an actual room with a real bathroom. Josh had put a room for Riley next to his, only after Riley bitched for twenty minutes about how she refused to share a room with two beds. Giving up Josh gave in, reminding himself not to do it again. He had gone out with a few of the others to dinner, when Riley grabbed her room key and trotted down the hall to the elevators.

Due to a room mix up, Jack and Zack had been put into rooms on the floor below, when the hotel ran out of rooms with two beds. They were the only two from the tour group that were on the floor and the only two in their band and crew that weren’t sharing a room. In a way, it had worked out to be a really good situation. Jack wanted Riley to hang out and if he was alone, she had nobody to go squeal on her.

Stopping at Room 362, Riley gently knocked and waited for Jack to answer the door. Peeking through the small peep hole, Jack started grinning from ear to ear as he opened the door. On the other side, Riley was standing in her sweats, looking like she was more than ready for a night of movies.

“Hey Jack.” She greeted him with a small wave.

“Hey Smiley Riley.” Jack said letting her in his room, giving her a hug as he shut the door. “Ready for a movie marathon?”

“You bet.” Riley nodded eagerly flopping down on the king sized bed that took up the center of the room.

“Okay, so I picked three different movies. I have got as much junk food as we can deal with and there is a case of beer in the mini fridge.” Jack explained clapping his hands together. “So, I’m going to get changed and you get settled in.”

Disappearing into the bathroom, Jack shut the door leaving the main room dim as he only had a few lamps on to light the way. Riley moved to the head of the bed, propping up a pillow to rest her head on so she could watch the movies better. A few moments later, Jack came back in a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt, a change from his usual skinny jeans that Riley often saw him in. His exceptionally large hair was flat to his head and her personal favourite touch was the Adventure Time slippers he was wearing.

“Ready?” Jack asked grabbing a bag of sour candies and a band of M&M’s holding them both out to Riley to pick one.

Grabbing the sour candies and scurrying under the blankets, Riley grinned. “Ready.”

As the end credits of Finding Nemo rolled, Jack looked over to Riley to find her snuggled into the pillow sleeping. This girl really had a habit of doing that. Clearing the bed of empty candy bags and turning off the television, making sure to take his dvd out of the player, Jack crawled back into bed.

“Jack.” Riley called out frantically, jolting herself awake from the nightmare that had been going on. “Jack?”

“Hey, I’m here. I didn’t go far.” Jack said walking out of the bathroom and back over to the bed. “What’s going on?”

“Nothing, I just...I thought you’d left me.” Riley said whimpering, glancing at the clock to find it was almost 3AM.

“Not for long.” Jack smiled moving her over with a gentle nudge. “I just had to use the bathroom. Are you okay?”

“No.” Riley whispered, automatically clinging to him as if it would protect her from the nightmare. “Sometimes, when I’m in a new place I have these crazy dreams.”

“Well, you can sleep. I’m not going anywhere again until my alarm clock goes off and even then I doubt I’ll be moving.” Jack chuckled, trying to ease Riley’s fear.

“Okay.” Riley’s voice was still quiet. Snuggling down under the blankets, she still clung to Jack. Her arms were wrapped tight around his waist, not giving him much room to even breathe.

“You’re fine. I have ya. Good night, Smiley Riley.” Jack said gently rubbing her back as he watched her drift off again.

As the morning light came into the hotel room, Josh grabbed all his belongings and got them ready to head back to the tour bus. His band mates had already gathered their things and were back on the bus, when Josh informed them he would go get Riley ready and they’d all be loaded. Knocking on her door, he waited. Not getting any kind of reply, he was getting a bit fed up.

Seeing Alex pass him in the hall, his things in hand, Josh muttered a greeting in reply to the younger man’s cheery salutation. Stopping a few feet away, Alex glanced back at Josh calling his name to get his attention.

“Are you looking for Riley?” Alex asked curiously.

“Yeah, she must be in the shower or something.” Josh said annoyed as he banged on the door again.

“I don’t think she is in there.” Alex said with a shrug, adjusting his grey beanie.

“What do you mean she isn’t in there?” Josh asked eyeing the singer.

Alex Gaskarth clearly knew something that Josh didn’t and he wanted to know exactly what it was.