In Fear and Desperation

Thirsty.

The one thing on my mind at the moment was water. I can't quite remember how long its been since the last time I was able to drink something more than the dew off of the plants in the morning. My body was screaming for more than that, but with no safe body of water around to go to, I was left with no solutions. I was drinking just enough for my body to survive, but I knew this couldn't last for long.

I sat on the ground against a tree. The last thing I wanted to do was use up all my energy. When you go long periods without food, your body doesn't have much to spare.

No matter how many times I had been in the predicament of being without food and water, I was still not accustomed to it. Although, I'm not sure if its even possible to learn to be comfortable without having the necessities your body craves. I highly doubt it, although I wish there was a way to numb the pain, even if it was only for a short period.

Over the past several weeks I've made a makeshift home in the woods miles away from the home I grew up in. I've been calling it 'extreme camping' for morale reasons.

My home now consisted of a torn up tent I had taken from a shed we had in our backyard and enough blankets to keep me relatively cozy in the cool nights piled inside. I had grabbed these things soon after the outbreak happened. Everyone was told to evacuate and travel east where we would be safe. The sickness hadn't spread there yet. It only took a day before me and my parents were split apart in chaos and I was left with no one else to rely on. In desperation I had gone back to the only place I was familiar with, but I knew I wouldn't be safe there. The empty house gave me an eerie feeling anyway, it wasn't long before I took items we left behind that I could find use for and started off into the woods.

I walked for days before I finally stopped. My supply of food had run out and it had been almost a full twenty-four hours that I hadn't had an interaction with someone infected. I was fearful that soon more people would start moving in the woods and lure the disease here, but for now I felt relatively safe. That's not to say my ears weren't always on guard.

I had contemplated moving on and trying to find somewhere closer to water, but since I was without anyone to accompany me, I was hesitant to do so. Although I had survived so far, I knew the next encounter could easily be my last. The disease was not the only things to fear these days, murders and muggings were rampant as well.

I could feel my eyes start to grow heavy and lure me into sleep. Not eating sure takes a lot out of you. I lazily pulled myself over to my tent and began to drift off to sleep. At least this meant by the time I woke up there might be dew on the ground and I can get some water in me.