Drank the Poison

Final

Last Chapter- Kellin's POV

There was a knock at my door and I flew down the stairs before my mom had a chance to get there first. Finally, after three unbearably long days and nights, Vic finally had finished his binge.

I had spent the last three days imagining what I could possibly say to him. I think that if we can just sit down and rationally talk to his parents, then we could convince them to let me and him start fresh in a new city, or maybe even in a new state, together after he gets out of rehab. We’ll both be old enough, and we can get each other through any times of hardship. It’ll be perfect.

If I can just talk to them then they’ll have to realize how much we need each other to survive. There’s no way they could tell us no once they realize that we’re each other’s soul mates. I was full of excitement and eagerness.

But when I went to the door, the man standing on the rain-soaked porch looked nothing like Vic.

It was James.

I flung the door open. I looked behind him frantically for Vic, but no one else was there.

“Where did you send him!” I screamed.

“Kellin-”

“No! Don’t fucking tell me that it’s for the best! You can’t do this to us. Where did you ship him off to?” I screamed even louder as my voice cracked.

“Kellin, I-I’m so sorry.”

That’s when I noticed he had been crying. He couldn’t look me in the eye as he handed me a pristine looking white paper with a black ribbon tied around it.

In my hands I held a tear-stained invitation. It read:

Kellin Quinn:
The Funeral Service of Victor Fuentes
Will take place at Golden Oaks Funeral Home
On Sunday November 20th, 2014 at 10:00am
We hope you can attend.
Sincerely, the Fuentes Family

I shook. The paper in my hands felt heavier than brick. I was too shocked to cry. I couldn’t look up cause that would mean resuming time. I couldn’t help but read those six lines over and over and over replaying the exact moment that part of me died too.

My eyes blurred. I held my breath because if Vic wasn’t breathing anymore then I didn’t want to either.

“It was a car that did it.” James choked out. “He had taken a full bottle of pills and had needle marks all along his arms. He ran onto the freeway and- I’m so sorry Kellin. He wasn’t in his right mind.”

Those words, “I’m so sorry”, I must have heard a hundred times in my life, but never have they been less comforting.

I had nothing to say to him. I couldn’t look him in the eyes. I just closed the front door and backed into the house.

And there I was, frozen in time.

“Kellin. I-I’m so sorry.” I heard my mom’s voice echo behind me.

I still didn’t make a move. I was petrified. That was until she placed her hand softy on my shoulder.

I whipped around and clung onto her for dear life. Finally the tears began to pour down. She wrapped her arms around me and held me in place because my legs were too weak to stay up on their own. She pet my hair and kept telling me that everything was going to be alright. Lies. We both knew that.

I couldn’t breathe. It’s not like I wanted to. I was hyperventilating. The more I was breathing, the less air filled my lungs. The pain was so unbearable. I was screaming in agony.

Oh the pain. It came from all the unanswered questions I still have. It came from all of my broken dreams. It came from all memories of him that I’ll never get to have again.

I was in excruciating pain. The tears kept pouring out of my eyes as I gulped for air. The Vic I knew didn’t deserve this. He deserved so much better than the life he was given. It wasn’t fair.

He was so carrying, so selfless. He had saved my life, but at what price? I would so much rather trade places with him. He was going to go so far in life. We were going to go so far together.

And now it’s over. What am I without him? What do I have to look forward to now?

Life’s too hard without him by my side. We were supposed to get through everything together. He was always supposed to be there for me. He promised me. He swore that I was the most important thing to him. And I was stupid enough to believe him.

“He promised me” I screamed out. “He promised me.” I whispered in my mom’s neck.

She was crying too now. She didn’t know what to tell me. What was she supposed to say? I’m sorry your boyfriend got himself killed?

There was nothing she could say. And there was nothing we could do but stand there till I was too exhausted to stand anymore.

Then what? I don’t know. With nothing left to look forward to, what would you do?