Status: Currently under development. Don't expect frequent updates; I am a fast typer, just a slow idea former.

Freedom for All

Prologue; A Life Undone

Sirens blare in the distance, slowly increasing in proximity until they pass by under my window. Another raid. Someone, a rebel perhaps, angered one of the Civil Fed. somehow.
'This is already the fourth raid this week.'
Sighing softly, I dread the fact that it certainly isn’t the last. Although I can hardly get any sleep from these constant raids, I am glad that it hasn’t been my complex. Even if they haven’t had reason to raid my complex yet, though, they’ll fine one; they always do. Civil Fed always twists their policies to “protect” us.
More sirens. C. F. doesn’t normally need more than a few officers to conduct a raid, I think to myself slowly, why would this one be any different? Slowly putting my ear up to the wall, I start to hear my neighbors chattering. Probably complaining. I would be, too, if it wasn’t for my probation. Civil Fed. could easily arrest someone for contempt from just a simple complaint. They did to me, after all.
I pull myself away from the wall, sighing again. I’m probably not getting any sleep anyway. I slowly start to slip my clothes on; pants, shirt, jacket. Flipping the hood up, I grin, looking at myself in the mirror.
'I’ve always been told I look cute in this; then again, that was by my friends. “You look so adorable in that jacket, Ema!”' I softly giggle. 'I miss them.'
The air is immediately silenced. Gunshots start ringing out from down the street. I quickly move to my window, glancing out nervously. The entire street, maybe the entire block, is lined with Civil Fed. officers.
'They’re armed. Why are they using guns? They don’t use violence like this.'
My thoughts are immediately interrupted with a loud blast. A group of officers, all medics, are lying on the ground; pieces of them strewn about the street like pieces of a toy. My eyes widen in horror the longer I watch. Rebels pour out from the buildings lining the street, armed with machineguns.
'This isn’t right. Civil Fed. is supposed to protect us from these guys! They’re losing like they’re the ones underequipped!'
Another blast rings out in the night, but this time it’s the rebels that are lying scattered across the ground afterwards. More squad trucks are pulling up; Enforcers piling out of them, dressed in flak jackets and heavy body armor. They start mowing down the rebels and officers alike; body after body dropping to the ground, lifeless.
Horrified, I sprint to my door, throwing it open.
'Not this. Anything but this.'
I take off down the hall, other residents soon following me, the same terrified expression on their face. I reach the end of the hall, but I stop before I head down the stairs. I hear them downstairs; breaking down doors and marching up stairs. I turn, heading up instead, breaths coming out heavily.
'I need to get out of here.'
Reaching the roof, I slam into the door, forcing it open. I look over the edge of the building, horrified at the disturbing sight that meets me; officers, rebels, and civilians, all lying in heaps in the street. Their bodies are ripped to shreds from the massive rounds the Enforcers have.
Backing away, my stomach burning with queasiness, I walk to the edge of the building adjacent to the street view. Looking down into the dark alley between this building and the next, I feel a sense of hope; no Enforcers. Nothing but rats and trash.
I hear the door behind me bash open. Taking a deep breath, I push myself over the edge of the building, screaming until I feel the ground meet my back, the world suddenly going dark for a moment.

'I’m still alive?'
My vision is blurred; everything is just colors and patterns, but I’m alive. I force myself to stand, taking off away from my landing place, breathing out in pained gasps every step.
'I will survive. I’m not dying here.'
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the very first part of this story that I wrote. Fun fact; it started out as a story for an English assignment, but I decided I wanted it to be more than that. Criticism is greatly appreciated, unless all you type is: "It was terrible. Write more like [Insert author here]."
Thanks for reading so far, I'm open for suggestions if anyone has any, but I will decide what is worked into the story.