In Another Life

The Book

Things all went according to plan the very next morning. Scout woke up, got ready for the day, then went off to work. She had sensed that Loki was wide awake in his room but didn't dare to bother him. She figured that he could use some time alone. Loki had stayed up all night. He found it incredibly hard to find any sort of rest after that night he had fallen off the rainbow bridge. It was a great relief that he had run into Scout. It was as if they weren't meant to meet each other. Loki almost felt quilt for what was to come of this realm in a few weeks. He actually felt something for the mortal girl he had just met. She was different, but maybe that's why he felt something. She was just a pathetic creature from Midguard. She possessed power and intelligence. She was different.

Scout was stormed with questions once she entered Tony's office. He wasted no time trying to get information out of her about this mystery man she was with last night. "So, what's his full name?"

"You're only asking because you want to do a background check on him. I'm telling you now, he's completely harmless."

"Yeahh....not too sure about that."

"What do you mean?" She asked Tony.

"Leave her alone." Pepper groaned. "She's made a friend. Maybe he could be the one." She winked at Scout, and Tony gasped.

"No, no, nope. There will never be a 'the one' for Scout. Unless of course, I can do a background check on him and give him a full interview with a lie detector test. How about you just stay single forever? That's less work."

"Tony." Pepper's voice was stern.

"Are you forgetting something, Tony?" Scout asked him. She could read minds. Tony didn't need some crazy lie detector test for anyone. Scout was a walking lie detector machine.

"Oh, right. Damn it." He pouted. His idea crumbled.

"Forgetting what?" Pepper didn't know.

"Oh nothing, just that Scout can hear your thoughts."

"What?!" She shouted.

"Tony, you are the worst secret keeper ever."

"Well, I figured she'd find out eventually or that you'd tell her, so why not now?"

"What am I thinking about right now?" Pepper asked Scout focusing her thoughts on one thing.

"Gross, Pepper!" Scout's face became full of disgust and walked away.

"Shit, she can read minds." Tony busted out laughing.

"What were you thinking of?!"

"You naked." Tony's face matched Scout's then trailed off after her. She thought walking away would get her off easy, but Tony wasn't done drilling her for answers.

"So, I looked at the security cameras in the lobby from last night."

"You are still on this?"

"Yes! Any who, I saw your little secret admirer and he's pretty cute, for you. You guys actually look like you'd be the perfect pair. With your freakishly tallness and black hair and crap like that. I do want to apologize for prying into your life so much. I just don't want anything to happen to you. You have to understand why I am so over protective and want to know who this random guy is you just met. I worry a lot about you all the time. You are like the closest thing I'll ever come to having a kid. I don't want you getting hurt, Scout."

"Awh, Tony. That's so sweet." Words and emotions weren't Tony's strongest point. Scout knew how much it took out of Tony to say those things, so she didn't drag it out any further and teased him about it instead. "Don't worry about me so much though. You've taught me well. I know how to handle myself...for the most part. Maybe someday I'll need Iron Man to come rescue me, but this isn't one of those times. He's just a friend."

"He doesn't have ulterior motives."

"From what I can tell, no."

"What do you mean, from what you can tell?"

"Well, it's rather strange actually. I can't read his thoughts. I have no clue what he's thinking. There's just like a blank wall."

Tony's furrowed together, "I am going to check into that."

"Of course you are. What are you going to do? Google it?"

"I have my ways of getting that sort of information. Don't question me." He reached his hand up and ruffled Scout's perfect hair up, and she slapped his hand away.

"You're so annoying."

"You're annoying. Get to work."

"You get to work!" She shouted after him, as he ran away.

Scout spent the rest of the day answering Tony's annoying phone calls and surfing the internet. Most people who called were just looking for an interview or some crazy story about Tony. That's what flooded the phone lines since this Iron Man crap started. She thought it was annoying how people just searched for something bad to write about Tony instead of writing about how he was a hero. Sure, to the public he was slightly inconsiderate and self-centered, but that didn't stop him from helping others. The media did not care about that though. They wanted the public to see the worst of him. That's what sold their pathetic magazines and newspapers. The time she wasn't answering the phone, she was doing online shopping. It was her little addiction. She was obsessed with buying things off the internet. It was just so easy and convenient.

"You're still here?" Pepper asked, coming into Scout's office.

"Huh?" She glanced at the clock on her computer and saw she should have left over thirty minutes ago. "Wow, I really lost track of time." She closed out of Safari and put her MacBook away.

"You going to see mystery man tonight?"

"Uhh....yeah."

"Really?"

"Well, I don't have a choice."

"Why not?" Her voice because full of worry. She was thinking he was forcing her to do something.

"Calm down, it's nothing like that. I kinda asked him to live with me."

"What the hell? Why?"

"Don't tell Tony please, but he doesn't have anywhere else to go." Scout saw in her thoughts that she was going to keep her secret, and she felt a wave of relief was over her.

"I won't, but you will have to eventually."

"I know. I'm not going to worry about that right now though."

"All right. Be safe, Scout. You don't really know this guy."

"He's harmless, Pep. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Tomorrow is Saturday."

"See you Monday." Scout grabbed her things, hugged Pepper goodbye, then headed out. Tony was of course already gone. He always disappeared throughout the day. It was anything out of the ordinary. He was never in the office when it was time for Scout to go home.

Loki on the other hand spent an interesting day inside Scout's home. He was utterly confused by most of the things she owned. It was without a doubt the strangest place he had ever been. Midguard was so weird. He did admired all the art the graced her walls, especially the personal pictures she had. Except the ones with Tony Stark beside her. He couldn't help but glare at them and feel a flame of jealously within him. After he did a bit of exploring and snooping about her house, he found a library and decided to spend the rest of the day reading in his bedroom. He could tell which books Scout loved the most due to the wear on the pages and covers. So, he took a stack of them and hide himself away in his room. Most were romance novels. Loki thought them to be silly but read them anyways because they obviously meant something to her.

"Mind if I join you?"

He looked up from the book and saw Scout standing in the threshold. He gave a simple nod and she sat beside him on the large bed. She was no longer in her work clothes as she changed into something more comfortable for lounging about. Loki couldn't believe he didn't even hear her come in. The apartment was large enough to get lost in with all it's secret rooms and hidden pathways, but it was so unlike him to not be constantly on high alert. He was actually relaxing for once and let his guards down. Thankfully, it was her in the doorway and not an enemy.

"What are you reading?" She couldn't see the cover since he placed it on his lap and shut the book once he heard her voice. He lifted it for her to see. "PS, I Love You? That's an awfully romantic book for a God like yourself." She teased.

"I knew you liked it. Therefore, I decided to give it a try."

"How did you know?" It annoyed her till no end that she couldn't just look into his mind and see what he was thinking about. She actually had to ask questions to get answers now.

"Well, the cover is destroyed and there are a bunch of underlined areas in the book. I shall assume those are your favorite parts."

"You assume correctly. Some of my books have seen better days." She laughed softly. There are many that she had to re-buy copies of because of how torn up the pages were. This particular copy was seeing its last days. "Would you read to me?"

Loki was shocked for a moment. She actually wanted to spend time with him. There was no malice reasoning behind her request. She wasn't there to use him or to get close to Thor or bring him down. Loki didn't even think this woman had an evil part inside her. "Of course." She proceeded to lay down beside him and get comfortable. Her actions caused Loki to freeze slightly and sit up a little more straight.

Scout hated the sound of others reading. Their voice never fit well with the story or they would just simply mess it all up or stutter. Something told her that was not the case with Loki. She craved to hear his elegant voice. There were only three chapters left in the book once he started. Scout wasn't even paying attention to the story anyways. She was completely lost in the stranger sitting next to her. Why did she feel so comfortable around him that allowed her to act like this? She would never invite someone she didn't fully know to her home? Especially since she couldn't hear his thoughts. What inside her made it feel okay to just go lay down beside him in bed? Loki was unlike any other. Scout was drawn to him. He was like a drug to her. Her thoughts were completely flooded with him all day. It was surprising that she even focused on anything else or held a conversation.

Once Loki finished the book, he looked down at the rather quiet girl and found her fast asleep. He decided to do the unthinkable. Placing the book on the stand beside the bed, he then laid down beside her. Sleep washed over him shortly after. It wasn't until the middle of the night when Scout rose. Her body now tangled in another, with her head resting softly on a warm surface. Opening her eyes, she found it was Loki's chest she was fast asleep on. Also, that it was his legs crossed between hers and his armswrapped tightly around her frame. For some reason, she wasn't startled or even shocked. She felt at ease and safe in his arms. As if it were where she was meant to be.

"Loki." She whispered attempting to wake him softly. He didn't budge as he was deep in sleep. So, she did her best to wiggle out of his grasp without waking him, but of course, she failed. His grip on her tighten and he suddenly became highly alert, looking around the room for any threats. "Loki? What's wrong?"

Once he heard her voice, his racing mind calmed, and he released his tight hold on her. "I am sorry if I frightened you."

"You didn't, but are you okay?" She was genuinely worried. He seriously looked freaked out when he woke.

"It is nothing for you to trouble yourself with."

Scout didn't want to pry. She knew Loki would more than likely open up to her about it later. There was no sense in beating it out of him now. He would tell her when he was good and ready. "Are you hungry?"

"Sure." He replied.

They got out of bed and went to the kitchen. Scout began to make them something to eat while Loki sat on a barstool on the opposite side of the counter. "I only have Vegan food, so I do apologize if you hate everything I have in my kitchen. We can go shopping tomorrow for things you may like."

"What is Vegan?"

"No meat or any animal products of the sort."

"Well, that's strange."

"Yeah, sorry about that. I'm kinda of a health freak but I'll make you anything you want tomorrow. It's too late to go to the market now." It was after all eleven o'clock at night. They had really fallen asleep for awhile and completely missed out on the night, including dinner.

"I am sure your food will suffice."

It didn't. Loki hated the taste and made the funniest face Scout had ever seen. It took her a few minutes to control her laughter and had wished she had gotten it on camera. Her chickenless chicken and steamed veggies were no good for Loki. "I am so sorry." She managed to say between her laughter. "But that was slightly adorable."

"I do not like your food." A frown clear on his face.

"I figured this would happen. Tony is the same way when I make him things." Loki's blood began to boil at the mention of his name but he didn't make it known to Scout. "I'm glad we live in New York City and some places are open 24/7. I'll call for take out. I don't know why I didn't think of that before." She grabbed some menus out of one of the drawers and ordered from a few places. She didn't know what exactly Loki would like so she got him a taste of a few things. All the food arrived within forty minutes and she put it all out on display for Loki to examine. Thankfully, he enjoyed some of them. Problem solved.

"How do you do that?" They were now sitting on the couch in the living room after finishing up their food and putting it all away. Loki was amazed by the fridgerator. Scout had to keep reminding herself that he wasn't from Earth and didn't know what some items around her house were.

"Do what?" He asked.

"Change your clothes without having the change your clothes. I mean, you don't even have a suitcase or anything. They just appear on your body."

"The same way I can change my form into another."

"Mmmm." She hummed in response thoughtfully. "Can you change my appearance?"

"Yes."

Scout looked down at her body in awe as she turned into someone else. Jumping off the couch, she ran into the hallway that had a full, huge mirror and looked at herself. She screamed with excitement as she was now Meryl Streep. The two were watching The Iron Lady at Scout's demand. It was no surprise that Loki changed her to that. "That's incredible. You can change me into anyone."

"Yes, but I do prefer you this way." Her body changed again, but this time, back to herself.

"But I'm just myself now?"

"I know." He looked away from her and back to the movie. He was fascinated by the object and lights displayed in front of him but had a hard time focusing on it. Scout continued to look at him with her heart caught in her throat. He would rather her be her plain, boring self than anyone else. Maybe she was reading too into what he said, but that didn't calm her nerves down one bit. After the movie ended, they decided to go their separate ways for the night. That didn't stop them from both looking back at each other at different times as they parted ways down the long hallway though. They longed to be with each other but neither were brave enough to point it out. So they spent another night alone.

Scout was awoken the next morning by her cell phone ringing underneath her pillow. The sound of it was completely horrid. She hated whoever it was on the other end. Sitting up and staring at the bright screen, she say it was Pepper.

"This better be important."

"It's 10 in the afternoon."

"It's my day off and I had a long night."

"That better not mean what I think it does."

"Nothing sexual, sicko. I'm not too surprised your were thinking of something so disgusting though after what happened yesterday."

Pepper blushed and was happy this conversation was happening over the phone and not in person. "I didn't think you guys were serious!"

"Honestly, why would Tony lie about that?"

"Because he's a absolute freak."

"True. Anyways, what do you want?" Scout just wanted to go back to sleep. The whole mind reading thing only worked in person. She had no clue what Pepper was thinking over the phone.

"I'm just checking to make sure you are alive."

"Why would I be?"

"You have that strange man in your house."

"He's harmless. Loki wouldn't hurt me."

"Loki? I thought you said his name was Adam?"

"Right, Adam. Sorry." Shit. "I was up reading on some mythology and just had a little slip."

"Right. I've got to go. I have a flight to France in an hour with Tony."

"What the hell? What are you guys doing there?"

"Just boring business. He's not taking me to be romantic, if that's what you're thinking."

"I wasn't because that would be totally out of character for him." Scout laughed.

"You're right, unfortunately. Well, you don't need to come into work until Wednesday since we'll be gone. Enjoy your time with your creepy friend and I'll see you then."

"Wow, thanks Pep."

"Love you, bye." With that, she hung up. No work until Wednesday. She saw this as her perfect opportunity to show Loki more of New York City and maybe somewhere even beyond that. She did have one of Tony's private jets at the ready for her. It was her chance to slip in a little vacation before summer, and show Loki more of this glorious world. New York City was nothing compared to everything else out there.

She wasn't tired anymore. Her mind was filled with endless places and things to show him. It would be nice to finally have a friend to do this with her. Tony didn't count because he never really cared about it. The site seeing and places filled with rich culture just never mattered to him. She knocked on Loki door a couple times but received no response.

"Loki?" She called out for him, opening the door, praying he didn't sleep in the nude or anything crazy. Only an empty bed was to be seen though. It didn't even look like he had slept in it. "Loki." She called again, wondering into the connected bathroom with caution then into the walk in closet. He was gone. Scout turned around and was startled at the sight behind her. "Holy shit!" She shouted and placed a hand on her chest. Her heart nearly shot out of her.

"Is something wrong?" Loki asked.

"No. You just scared me. I thought you were gone."

"I did leave."

"Where did you go? I thought you didn't really know anyone in New York."

"I wasn't in New York. I had some matter to attend to out of this realm." He informed her.

"Oh....is everything all right then?"

"For now." His voice didn't seem too convincing. It worried Scout a little bit, but ignored the feeling. "Have you come to ask me something?"

"Yeah...uhh...do you want to go somewhere? Like out of New York."

"I would go anywhere with you." Loki boldly replied.

"Right, well, I would say pack a bag, but...you got that covered with your little magic things. So, I am going to go pack....and call the airport to get a jet ready and stuff....yeah." Scout had to force the words to leave her lips. Her stomach was full of butterflies. When Loki looked at her and spoke those very simple words, a place in her heart just burst open with excitement. She thought of the words over and over again while she pack her Louis Vuittion suitcase with clothing and toiletries. She sent Tony a quick text telling him where she was going to be for the next few days, then joined Loki back out in the living room.

Like a gentleman, he took the bag from her grasp and held it in his hand."I do not need to go out the back again, do I?"

"No. It doesn't matter anymore. I told Pepper you are here."

"Pepper?"

"A friend. You'll meet her eventually." Loki didn't respond. They went into the elevator and outside to the town car that was waiting for them. Sure, she would take taxis in the city, but not to the airport. Tony had trusted drivers for that since he didn't want just anyone knowing where he kept his private aircrafts.

"Where exactly are we going?" He asked once they were safety seated and ready for take off.

"London, England. You will like it. I'm sure."

And so their journey began.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback would be wonderful. (: thanks for reading!