In Another Life

The Goodbye

"When will I be able to leave?" Scout asked Thor as they sat in Loki's chambers.

It was later in the day, after things had calmed down a bit. Once Loki was taken away, Scout broke into a sob. It wasn't for Tony or Pepper or New York City or the rest of the chaos caused on Earth, but for Loki. It caused a deep pain in her heart to know what he had done. She felt betrayed. The pain Loki had caused her was unintentional. He didn't want things to go the way they did, but he had no choice. There was no going back on the plan. Now that is was over and done with, there was no fixing the damage. The city will mend and rebuild, but the trust Scout held in Loki was forever lost. Thor took it upon himself to keep her company. She needed a shoulder to cry on and it actually hurt Thor to see her upset like she was. He hardly knew the woman but seeing her like that made him think of Jane. Had she ever been hurt that way before? Had she cried for him once he didn't return? No matter how much Loki had hurt Thor, he knew his brother cared deeply for Scout. He wasn't about to just abandon her, no matter how many times she requested to be alone.

"Is that truly what you desire? To leave?"

"Yes. I need to go home."

"What about Loki?" He questioned.

"What about him?!" She snapped.

"Are you going to speak with him? I can take you to see him right now. I know my brother would wish to know of your departure."

"Well, then you'll be sure to tell him I am leaving, won't you?"

"He would prefer to hear it from you."

"I don't own HIM a damn thing. I already said I never want to see or speak to him again. He could have killed Tony. For as long as I live, I will never forgive him for that. I would be dead if not for Tony. He gave me a life and home. He just tried to take that from me. Therefore; he doesn't deserve a damn thing from me." She refused to speak his name. Just the sound of it angered her.

"I fear you will regret this decision."

"The only thing I fear is going back to my New York City apartment and finding it no longer there or in a complete disaster. I need to go home. Tony must be worried and stressed out of his mind."

"He asked of you. I told him of your whereabouts. He was not pleased to find that Loki took you, but he settled once I told him you are safe." In a way, it was always nice knowing that Tony was worried about Scout. It actually made her feel good about herself.

"If you can call it that. I no longer feel safe on Asgard knowing what HE has done and is capable of. I do not want to be here any longer, neither does Luke." She dramatically pointed over to Luke. Thor looked over to the cat sleeping on Loki's bed and gave a soft chuckle. Luke could care less. All he wanted was food and a warm place to sleep. Even Thor could tell. He was trying to stall Scout as long as possible. Thor wasn't ready to just send her back to Midguard. He was hoping she would reconsider. She was the only chance Loki had at returning to his normal self. She was able to bring out a side of him no one had ever seen. Loki needed her badly. "I know what you're doing and it's not going to work. I am not going to forgive him. You don't understand. You are his brother just as Tony is like my father. You may not be related by blood but you are family. Loki, he...he really broke my heart. I thought I loved him...but that's...that's not enough. I guess I didn't really know him at all...and that's my fault. I just got so caught up in the moment with him. I do not belong in your world, Thor. Loki and I aren't meant for each other like you and your mother may think. So will you please take me home."

Thor sighed. He didn't want to take her back but he also didn't want to hold her against her will. For a split second, he forgot she could read his thoughts. He wished he hadn't been thinking about keeping her there. It might have actually worked. He wasn't go to let her go home so easily though. If he were to take her, she had to do something for him in return. "I will take you back to Midguard, on two conditions."

"Name 'em."

"First, when I let you return to Midguard, I need you to locate a woman by the name of Jane Foster. Tell her of me, but mostly tell her I am truly sorry for not coming back."

"Alright. I'll use one of Tony's security computers to find her. That should be fairly easy. What's the other thing?"

"Go down to the dungeons an..-" She cut him off.

"Don't finish your sentence. I know where you're heading and the answer is no."

"Scout..."

"No."

"Loki may be sentenced to death for what he has done. Do you really want the words you said to him earlier to be your last? Imagine the guilt you would feel knowing you told Loki you never want to see him again. I am not thinking of my brother's sake now, but of yours. I do not want you to have to live with that. I am not asking you to forgive him. I am simply asking you to say goodbye. Give him and yourself that closure. I know you will regret not speaking to him as soon as you are home. No matter what, you love him. You cannot change that."

Scout thought for a minute for agreeing to Thor's request. She silently cursed him for being right about her too. It was as if Thor knew her his entire life. It was weird and creepy. What harm could it really do? All she had to do was say goodbye. Simple enough, she thought. Wrong. As soon as the made their way towards the dungeons, she regretted saying yes. What the hell was she really suppose to do or say? Just walk in there and say bye then walk back out? What if Loki wanted her to stay longer and talk it out? She didn't know how to handle this type of situation. No where in Tony's training was 'how to get out of shitty and awkward conversations' involved.

A guard stood post outside of a closed door down belong the castle. It was clear that Loki was held on the other side. The guard opened the door for them to reveal two more inside, with Loki. Scout didn't dare look at him when they went inside but she knew exactly where he sat. Almost as if she could sense it. In that moment she would have sold her soul just to know what the hell was running through Loki's mind. It was infuriating to know what everyone was thinking, except him. She still hadn't found a logical explanation for it.

"Leave us." Thor told the guards. They were about to put up a fuss, until Thor shot them the stern glare. So they went without a word. "I will be right outside." He spoke in Scout's ear before turning away and exiting the room after them before she herself could put up a fuss.

She sighed. "Is it really that terrible to be left in the same room as me?" Loki inquired.

"I don't know, you tell me. You did just try to kill millions of my species." She shot back, in no mood for his stupid comments. Looking over at him, she saw he was cleaned up and in a fresh change of clothes.

"You have only heard Thor's side of the matter. Not mine."

"Okay, then tell me, what were you trying to do?"

"Would me telling you change the way you now feel towards me?"

"No."

"Then what is the point?"

"You're right. There is no point. I wouldn't even be standing here if it weren't for Thor forcing me. I just came here to tell you I am leaving and I won't be back."

"Why are you leaving?" He stood from his chair. It was then she noticed he had no chains on his wrist or ankles anymore. Obviously the mouth piece had been removed since he was talking now.

"Like that answer is not clear already. I have no reason to stay here. Before your return, your mother nearly had me convinced that I belonged here. I was wrong, as was she. You are not the man I thought you were. Who ever you were when you were living with me on Earth, is not your true nature. I fell in love with an idea, not a human. You are nothing but a monster. I pray they don't give you death, you don't even deserve that. I want you to rot away in a cell, thinking about the pain you have caused me and those I love, along with your own damn family. You threw away those who love you over some sick fantasy you have of being a King. I don't know what I was thinking by getting involved with you." She turned to leave and Loki jumped forward in fear. He didn't want her to leave him.

"Wait..." He took six giant steps forward and rushed to her side. "Please stay." He reached out to touch her but he quickly pulled away from him.

"Don't you dare." She glared at him. She took in a deep breath as tears rimmed her eyes. As much as she wanted to forgive and love and have him hold her in his arms, she couldn't. It wasn't right. Nothing about their relationship was. It was all wrong from the start. She should have know it would have ended like this, leaving her in heartache. He was too good to be true. Of course the guy whose mind she couldn't read and brought her happiness was a complete psychopath. That's just how things went in her life. Seeing the look on his face, almost the look of innocence, she couldn't help her next actions. She took a step forward and pressed and quick, gentle kiss on his lips. So quick he didn't have a chance to react. "You are the worst thing that has ever happened to me, Loki." Tears escaped her eyes and she quickly wiped them away with the tips of her fingers. "Yet, I cannot stop myself from loving you."

Before he could process to her words, she was gone. Thor said a quick few words to Loki, then informed her that he would be taking Scout home the next morning. In a way, he was okay with her going back to Midguard. He knew that city meant a lot to her and it made him feel guilty that he nearly destroyed it entirely. Loki paid no attention to everything else Thor said. His mind was in the clouds, thinking of Scout.

The previous guards stepped back into the room once Thor left and pushed Loki back into his chair. It didn't matter to him though. He didn't put up a fight or get mad. Nothing mattered. He didn't care about his upcoming sentencing. Whether he be hung for everyone to see or locked away with the rest of the Asguardian prisoners. It didn't matter. Scout loved him. No matter what he did or does, she will love him. That was all he that mattered to him.

The woman he loved unconditionally, felt the same.
♠ ♠ ♠
Super quick update, but I just wanted to get something out there. Thank you princewentz, kayyish, SilentlyEchoing, and Piper13_89 for the comments. I appreciate it a lot. Also thank you to everyone else who has been reading.

Another update soon! (:
Some spoilers from The Dark World will be in the next few chapters. Just a warning.