In Another Life

The Move

Since Scout's return to Earth, things were slowly rebuilding. Even with all that happened, the spirits in New York were still high. Scout kept to her promise she made with Thor though. She searched for Jane Foster. It was an easy task though with the systems Tony had. Speaking of Tony, he totally freaked when he saw Scout. He couldn't even be mad at her like he wanted to. It wasn't her fault. She had no control over Loki and the fact that she was on another plant. She had no idea Loki was that way. Tony actually felt bad for her. Thankfully, Scout's apartment and building suffered no damage. It was a great relief for Scout. That was the last thing she needed.

With a plane ticket in hand, she stood at an airport gate in New Jersey. JFK was closed and all flights were being redirected here. New York just didn't want planes going in and out of that area. Which was completely understandable. She didn't take one of Tony's private jets because she didn't want him asking any questions. Scout's destination was London. Jane Foster's credit report showed her renting a flat in England. The post office also showed her change of address. It was beyond clear to Scout that she was now living there.

The flight was long and excruciating. Normally she loved flying. Now it only made her think of Loki. It annoyed Scout till no end. Loki seemed to ruin a lot of things for her now. Once she landed, a car was waiting for it. The driver took her straight to the address she gave him. It was the location Jane was apparently living at now.

When she got there, she told the driver to wait a moment while she went to the door and knocked. She didn't want to be stranded there if Jane wasn't home. The door pulled open and reveled a woman who wasn't Jane Foster.

"Uh..is Jane here?" She asked, thinking she had the wrong place.

"Why? Whose asking?" Her voice was quick and hostile.

"Scout."

"That's a cool name."

"Yeah...so, is Jane here?"

"No. She's out right now doing some crazy science thing, but you can wait for her inside." Just two seconds ago this woman was about to bite her head off. Now she was inviting Scout inside. She was truly crazy, but Scout liked her instantly. So, she smiled and walked right inside after off the driver. The woman took the suitcase and purse from Scout and set them down on the floor beside a wall hung coat rack. While Scout set Luke's bag on the couch. Of course he went with. There was no one else to look after him and Tony was far too busy. "I'm Darcy, by the way, and you can let him out." Her mind told Scout that she was only looking out for

Jane's well being. After what happened in New Mexico, some crazies sought out Jane. Darcy some how knew Scout wasn't one of them just by the sound of her voice. "

"Nice to meet you, Darcy. Do you know when Jane will be returning?" She asked, opening Luke's bag for him to jump out of when he was ready.

"Eh, soon, maybe. She's been scattered like crazy ever since..-"

"Since Thor." Scout finished the sentence Darcy wasn't going to.

"Uh, yeah..how did you know?"

"I'll assume you knew of him since you live with Jane. I know Thor, actually, more so his brother, Loki. I am here because of Thor. He sent me."

"Holy crap! Jane is going to be thrilled. Where is he?!"

"Unfortunately, not with me. He is back on Asgard, mending the damage that has been done."

"Damn. That's a bummer." Darcy was hoping he was somewhere close so Jane can put her mind to rest. Thor talk was set a side as the two got to know each other. They didn't really have much in common except taste in music, but that didn't stop them from getting along so well. Instantly they became friends. It made Scout happy. Thor sending her on a hunt for Jane turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Now she couldn't wait to meet Jane. She assumed she was a lot like Darcy, which she was. Jane arrived back to her place an hour later. She was alarmed to find Scout in her home, not being used to visitors at all. Her heart broke slightly when she discovered what Scout was doing there. It did put her mind and nerves at ease though. At least Thor was safe.

She couldn't help but be sad he wasn't actually there himself to tell her, but she understood. He had things to take care of on Asgard. Thor couldn't put Jane first. No matter how much he wanted to.

"So, how long will you being stay with us?" Jane asked making a place for Luke to use the bathroom. She was incredibly sweet and welcoming.

"Just until tomorrow morning. I have to get back to New York."

"What for? That place is trashed."

"Darcy! So uncalled for." Jane yelled at her, causing Scout to only laugh.

"It's quite alright. Yes, it is a mess, but that's exactly why I must return. I know there's people there who could use my help."

"How did you get mixed up with that creep Loki? You are far too nice."

"Darcy!" Jane yelled again. Her mouth definitely had no filter. She said whatever came to her mind. No matter the consequence. Darcy was the most honest person Scout has ever met.

"I have never seen him the way everyone else has. It's complicated and hard to explain, but he's not really who everyone thinks he is. When I learned of what he had done, I was angry. I said things to him that I wish I could take back now. I wish I was in Asgard now at his side. Thor was right to tell me I would regret leaving. I think it's the biggest mistake I have ever made. Now Loki is alone because I am no there for him. Sure, he has his mother, but Frigga must also remain loyal to Odin. Which would mean going against Loki at some point. You know far too well, Jane, there is no way of getting to Asgard."

"Well, crap. I feel terrible now." Darcy sighed. Jane quickly changed the subject to bring Scout's spirits back up. She unfortunately could relate to her on every level. It was worse for Scout though because of what Loki had done. She didn't pity her, but she definitely felt bad. Over dinner, Jane thought it was the best time to explain to Scout what she was doing.

"I've been looking for Thor."

"I know." Scout also thought it was the best time to explain to her her gift.

"But I haven't published me research? How do you know?"

"I can hear your thoughts." Scout explained.

"What...really?" Jane couldn't believe it.

"Shit, does that mean you heard what I was thinking while watching tv?"

"Yes, and gross." Darcy was thinking about all the hot guys on the show and what she would do to them in bed. Those were the thoughts that made Scout's gift the worst.

"What am I thinking about right now?"

"You're thinking of keeping my cat, which will not go over well with me..." She laughed at Darcy, then turned to Jane. "And you're thinking of Thor, as always."

"That's freaky!" Darcy exclaimed. "But super cool. You have like super powers!"

"I guess you can call it that..." Scout laughed. Darcy was quite a joy to be around. Everything she said was either completely sarcastic, over dramatic, or brutally honest.Jane talked Scout into staying a few extra days. Her and Darcy were having such a good time getting to know her that they didn't want her to leave so quickly. Scout didn't object. She finally made some friends. There was no way in hell she was going to leave the next morning after they begged her to stay.

The next day, Jane showed Scout the work she had been doing. After that they went out for dinner at Jane's new favorite restaurant in London. Nothing too eventful happened. They simply hung out and got to know each other. Scout learned a lot about Jane's work. She was genuinely interested. Not just because it had something to do with Thor and Loki, but because it was fascinating. There was so much unknown about science and space. Jane was trying so hard to discover and figure it all out.

Scout eventually went back home to New York City a week later. They all promised to keep in touch, which they did. Constant texts were exchanged with occasional phone calls. Jane informed Scout of any and all changes in her work. Darcy kept her informed of everything else, like the fact she had her own intern now. It made Scout burst out in laughter. Darcy was definitely one of a kind.

Another two weeks went by. Tony was now living in California full time, leaving Scout behind in New York City. He worried about her and begged her to come along but she declined. Instead, she prepared herself for a move to London. Once he heard that, Tony had no problem with it. In fact, he bought her a home in Knightsbridge, and took care of the stress of moving her belongings by hiring movers. He knew this was the best thing for her. With him and Pepper gone, there was no one else in New York to look after her. Not that she needed someone to look after her. He was just overly protective. Even more now after the whole Loki thing has happened. Now that she has made real friends, Tony jumped to help.

The movers carried out the last few boxes in her apartment as she did a final walk through. This entire place just reminded her a Loki. All she wanted to do was forget him. As much as it hurt, it was for the best. She needed to move on with her life and start over somewhere new. It sounded quite pathetic but she didn't care. It was her life. No one had the right to judge. They didn't know what happened between her and Loki. Even if they did, they would never understand. Sometimes she didn't even understand.

Luke was already in London being cared for by Jane and Darcy. He was one less thing Scout had to worry about. There actually wasn't much for her to worry about now. The movers not only carried her things away for transportation to London, they also packed everything in it's boxes. All Scout did was pack her closet. She barely lifted a finger in the entire time. Tony really did spoil her too much.

She took Tony's private jet to London the next day, after spending the night at his place since hers was now empty. Once she got off the plane, she was greeted with three smiling faces. Jane, Darcy, and Darcy's "intern", Ian, were present. It was late in the night but being the good friends they are, it didn't matter.

"I am so happy you are here!" Darcy shouted, wrapping her arms around Scout's waist. Scout was indeed a lot taller than the other two women. "Jane has been driving me insane. She thinks she's on the brink of a break through and will not shut up about it."

"Hey!" Jane smacked Darcy lightly, then took her turn hugging Scout.

"You must be Ian. Lovely meeting you." Scout held out her hand for his to shake, which he gladly did.

"We went by your place before coming here and almost all of your things are already there. That was really fast." Jane informed her while they got into her car. That was something Scout was going to have to look into getting. A car. One was needed in London unlike New York. The distance between her new home and Jane's place was too far apart for public transportation, much to her dislike. It was the only neighborhood Tony would consider though. It's suppose to be one of the best, most expensive, and safest. Of course Tony would pick it.

"Tony paid them double to get it done as fast as possible."

"He sounds so bad ass. I wish I could meet him."

"You will, one day. He's really busy right now. I don't know with what though. He likes to keep certain things from me, like all his Iron Man business. I know he will be over in London within the next few weeks to check in on me. You guys will have to all come over when he does."

"That would be great." Jane replied, pulling into Scout's privately gated home. This was so Tony. A moving truck was still posted outside but there weren't any workers. It was after all almost nine at night. It took longer than expected to leave the airport and drop Ian off at his place. They had more than likely gone home for the day. Going inside, the place looked more grand then it did on the outside. If that were possible. It kind of made Scout cringe. She would have to be living her, alone. Well, Luke would be there, but that was hardly company. He was a cat and slept twenty out of twenty-four hours of the day.

"Do you guys mind staying here for the night? I feel weird since nothing is out of the boxes yet and its so huge."

"Not at all. We can even help you unpack in the morning."

"That would be lovely." She smiled. They really were amazing friends. "I don't know how I am suppose to fill up this entire home. I don't even have enough items for the kitchen. I was no expecting Tony to go this big."

"Well, it is Tony Stark." Darcy laughed.

"Of course. You are right. Silly me."

Darcy created make shift beds for them in the main living room to sleep on. While Jane set up one of the televisions to give them something to watch, and Scout cooked a light meal to snack on. Only being in London for a few hours, Scout already felt like she was making a home for herself. It was all thanks to Tony, Jane and Darcy.

"Don't forget about that date tomorrow?" Darcy scolded Jane.

"A date?!" Scout shouted with excitement.

"Yeahhh...." Jane grumbled, looking down at the plate in her hands, now empty.

"I won't let you get out of it."

"Who are you going on a date with?"

"Just some guy I know. It's nothing special. Hardly a date."

"So, you've given up on Thor?"

"Kinda. I mean, I can't wait forever. It's been nearly two years. I think it's time to move on. Don't you?" She questioned Scout. Scout didn't have an answer though. After the whole Loki deal, she didn't even think she could move on. How do you move on from someone like Loki? He was extraordinary, kinda, and beautiful. He understood Scout and related to her. It wasn't because he was a God. He made her feel things she didn't even realize she could feel.

"I honestly can't say." She chuckled softly. "I mean, I just moved to an entirely different continent just to rid myself of the memories of the man I love. Who also happens to be the man who tried to take over the world. I'm border line crazy and the last person to give relationship advice."

"Damn those damn brothers." Jane mumbled, only causing Darcy and Scout to burst out in laughter.

The next morning was full of unpacking and organizing. Movers came back with more boxes and furniture, then proceeded with putting the boxes in their proper rooms. After they finished with that, Darcy took it upon to herself to order them on how to arrange the furniture. Scout didn't mind. She simply found it too amusing. Plus she did a great job at making all the rooms flow together properly. She'd be a great interior decorator. Later in the day, once the movers moved their last box and the girls grew tired, they gave up unpacking. Jane and Darcy went home to get cleaned up, especially since Jane had her date.

Scout was left alone. She sat up in her new bedroom, continuing to unpack her things. Her closet was the first thing she tackled when she woke up that morning. Surprisingly, it did take as long as she thought it would. Next she decided to fix up her new library. When Tony asked what she was looking for in a home, that was one of her very few demands. So of course, Tony found the house with the biggest one possible. Scout didn't even have enough books to place in the walls of built in shelves. That only meant one thing though: more books. It gave her a reason to go out and buy dozens at a time. She couldn't wait.

A few boxes in, she gave up. Sitting on the cold, wood floor, she pulled a nearby box over to her, and ripped off the tape. Lifting the flaps, she grabbed the first book on top. It was a copy of P.S,. I Love You, but it wasn't her copy. This one was brand new. She could tell due to it's perfect condition.

Doing a quick flip through of the pages, she almost tossed it to the side, until the cover page caught her eye. Her heart began to beat out of control once she saw the strange black markings were in fact words, and there was only one person who it could be from. It wasn't something written from him himself, but that just it even more perfect. Loki never really knew the right thing to say with it came to his feelings. He had a difficult time explaining how he felt, but this small passage said it all.

'A soul mate is someone who understands you like no other, loves you like no other, will be there for you forever, no matter what. They say that nothing lasts forever, but I am a firm believer in the fact that for some, love lives on even after we're gone.'

At the bottom in his own words he wrote, "I love you and I am sorry." Scout was over whelmed with emotions. It was all too much for her heart and mind to handle. Loki believed Scout is his soul mate. He believed she loves him like no other, that she would be there for him no matter what happened. Guilt consumed her entire body. If it weren't for her already sitting down, she would have collapsed right then and there. Scout abandoned Loki in his time of need. She wasn't there for him like he thought she would.

Instead, she let her anger take over and cast him aside, leaving Asgard. Loki could be dead right now, and she wasn't there to see him through it. Her entire body shook in agony as she sobbed, laying on the cold, hard floor. She craved Loki's warm embrace, his soothing voice, his bashful smile and witty remarks. Nothing in this entire universe could make her feel better in that moment except for him.

Her crying seized, but she stayed in her spot on the floor, staring blankly at a book shelf. An hour had to of gone by of her doing just that until her cell phone ringing brought her back down to Earth. She slowly sat up as it continued to ring, but it stopped before she could reach it. There was one missed call from Darcy. Before Scout could call her back, she called again.

"Hello?" Her voice was raspy.

"Hello? Scout? Are you okay?"

Scout cleared her throat, "Uh..yeah, sorry, I was just napping." She lied, doing her best to hide her sorrow.

"Oh, I'm damn tired too, but any who...uhh, we found something totally awesome and bad ass and you have got to come here and see it."

"Who are you with?"

"Jane and Ian, and some kids."

"What about Jane's date?"

"Long story short, it sucked, and I kidnapped her because we discovered something huge."

"Oh, okay, well text me the address to where ever you guys are getting yourselves in trouble at, and I'll be right over."

"Great!" Darcy exclaimed with excitement and hung up. Scout quickly cleaned herself up as best as she could, not even bothering with make up or her hair. Darcy sent her the address of their whereabouts, then she realized, she doesn't have a car. Scout called a car service that Tony usually uses, and a man gladly took her to some sort of abandoned warehouse.

"Are you sure this is the right location, Miss?" The man asked, with a thick Irish accent.

"Sadly, yes. That's my crazy friends car right there." He laughed, "well this is my card, you give a call whenever you need a ride."

"Oh, thank you." She took the card from his grasp, then exited the car with a soft smile. Once he was out of sight, Scout went on a hunt for her friends. Just then Darcy came out.

"Have you seen Jane?!" She shouted from across the parking lot. Scout and Darcy met half way, and it was clear that she was freaking out.

"No. I just got here?"

"She walked away from us right before I called you, and I haven't seen her since. I've tried calling her phone and we've looked everywhere!"

"Let's not panic. There has to be some sort of explanation for this. She probably wondered off somewhere and got lost. This place is kind of creepy."

"That's why Darcy called you. We found something creepy." Scout tried to figure out what it was by reading their thoughts but she couldn't gather much. They didn't even have a name for what it was they found.

"I'll go inside and show her. You stay here by the car and keep a look out for Jane." Darcy ordered Ian, then dragged me into the building. Scout had a bad feeling about it. She didn't want to see something creepy. She's already had her far share of weird shit this year. There wasn't much more she could handle. They stopped once they were half way up a stair case. "Give me something." Darcy held her hand out. "Something you won't miss if it doesn't come back."

"Okay." Scout reached into her Givenchy purse and pulled out a pen. Darcy took it from her and threw it over the side of the railing. It dropped to the floor, then disappeared, only to reappear at the ceiling and it went on and on and on until it didn't come back. "Where did it go?"

"We don't know."

"Maybe that's why Jane walked off. She was looking for where the objects disappear to."

"Can you hear her...or whatever you would call it?" Darcy questioned.

"No. I can't. Which is weird but I don't want to read much into it yet. I mean, I can't hear Loki's thoughts either and I still haven't put reason to that yet."

"Maybe it's because you two are soul mates or something freaky like that." Darcy joked with a laugh, then went back outside and joined Ian. Scout stood in her place though staring down at the invisible hole in the ground. That was the most logical explanation she has ever heard to why she can't hear Loki's thoughts. It was perfect. She couldn't understand why she didn't think of it before. She was meant to be with Loki.

Rushing back outside since she was now totally creeped out by the mystery hole, she discovered Darcy had called the police. They began questioning Scout as soon as she reached the two, but she didn't have any answers. Of course, they didn't believe her which led to more questions. An hour had gone by and no one got anywhere with finding Jane. Until she just randomly showed up out of the blue. Darcy instantly started yelling at her, wondering where she had been this entire time, which led to Jane yelling at Darcy for calling the police. With what was going on inside that abandoned warehouse, it was no place for police. It could have led to S.H.I.E.l.D showing up and Jane wouldn't have been able to do research.

The police grew tired of us and began to get hostel. As one reached out to grab Jane, something beyond freaky happened. It was as if some force field was surrounding her. That wasn't what truly astounded Scout though. She had seen weirder things, like Loki. What really caught her complete attention was Thor. There he was, standing in all his glory.

"Thor!" Scout rushed over to him as he attempted to help Jane out of her bad situation with the police. Thor didn't give her a response though. Everything was going so fast. Too many people were talking at once and there was too much confusion. It was all madness. He grabbed Jane and Scout and in a split second, they were gone. Completely disappeared off the face of the Earth, only to reappear in Asgard.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the complete lack of Loki in this chapter. He will definitely be in the next. This is just a build up for the drama to come. Thank you to all my readers and those who have commented. I greatly appreciate it (:

I'll update again as soon as possible.