A Drop in the Ocean

Chapter Seven

Once at the cinema, Jake walked around and opened the passenger door for me like a gentleman which made me smile all the wider. I slipped out of the car and looked up above us…the stars were starting to shine already and it wasn’t completely dark, yet. Apparently it was done raining here in Port Angeles, all the rain had moved east towards Forks. I wondered if that was putting a damper on my family’s hunting plans…no pun intended.

“Does that mean we can go to the beach after the movie, have a bonfire?” I asked Jake and he nodded his head, the two of us walking to the ticket line. “The others are probably already ahead of us; we wolves love our beach bonfires. I bet Emily will have some leftovers we can eat on our ‘picnic.” I liked the sound of eating some of Emily’s home cooking…she was a real good cook. I’m surprised Sam isn’t as large as a whale from eating her food all the time.

“Two for the new Thor movie, please,” said Jake and the ticket woman nodded her head, printing out two and Jake paying for them. I felt bad because I had a ton of money—I was a Cullen after all—and yet Jake was paying for me. I could hear him now though if I tried paying…he’d have a fit. I knew proper etiquette and proper etiquette was the man paying for the date, even if the man had significantly less money than me.

We took our tickets and went into the theater, going straight to the concessions line. “Should we still have popcorn if we’re going to eat in a bit?” I asked and Jake chuckled. “It’s a movie, Ness. You can hardly watch a movie at the theater without popcorn!” Jacob made a strong argument. So naturally we bought a large bag of popcorn and two drinks. I looked over the other choices for a few moments but…the candy was so overly priced, it put me off to the idea of even getting any.

While Jake buttered and salted the popcorn, I filled our glasses with ice and fountain drink. I knew we were both big fans of Dr. Pepper so that’s what I filled the large cups with. After we finished getting our popcorn and drinks in order, we walked right on into the theater. The previews hadn’t started yet—it was some type of trivia game playing on screen, people could play along with their cell phones. That didn’t interest me in the least.

“Back, middle, front…?” Jacob asked and I shrugged. I wasn’t picky but it was up to me tonight I guessed so I made a quick decision. “Back. I like it best.” I said with a grin and we started our ascent to the top, in the very back. We sat towards the middle of the row to see the screen the best. “I hope nobody really tall sits in front of us,” I said while laughing as we took our seat. I took a big handful of popcorn and popped it into my mouth with a grin. It was warm, buttery, and salty…my goodness.

“No men with top hats, huh?” Jake commented and I shook my head no, swallowing the popcorn and taking a drink of Dr. Pepper. “Now don’t eat all the popcorn now Renesmee, you’ll have none for the movie,” I laughed at Jake’s words. “Don’t sound like Dad,” I stuck my tongue out cutesy-like and shook my head. “It’s just so warm and buttery right now, I couldn’t help it.” Apparently Jake couldn’t disagree with that.

We watched as more and more people started to pile into the theater room for the movie. Apparently the new Thor film was going to be a popular one. How could it not be? Chris Hemsworth was a beautiful man…and so was Tom Hiddleston. They were both on my ‘list’ of sexy men…every girl had a ‘list.’ I wouldn’t think too much on that list right now though, if Jake could hear my thoughts he’d probably get a little offended. Although I admit, Jacob would be number one on that list…

The previews started and the lights finally dimmed which gave it that ‘date’ feel that I’d been waiting for. I laid my head on Jake’s shoulder and continued to pop a few pieces of popcorn into my mouth every now and again. “Comfortable?” Jacob asked and I flickered my eyes up to see his face, smiling at him to show that yes, I truly was.

“It’s the most comfortable seat in the entire theater, if you ask me.” I said with a grin and my eyes returned to the screen. I wasn’t sure who I enjoyed looking at more: Jake or Chris Hemsworth. The movie was good; it honestly kept the two of us on the edge of our seat the whole time. Sometimes sequels could be disappoints but I promise you: this film wasn’t a disappointment.

By the time it was finished, we were out of popcorn and out of drinks. “Timed that perfectly,” Jake commented and I laughed showing that I clearly agreed. People were starting to leave but I made Jake stick behind. A good Marvel fan always knows to wait until the end of the credits to leave—there’s usually a scene at the end. Sure enough, there was.

“Told you,” I said teasingly and stood up, stretching my body. I’d grown rather stiff sitting there which was surprising. “Oh shut it,” Jake teased as his ego showed since I had been right. “Don’t tell me what to do,” I play fought and glared up at him, of course that disappeared when he lent in and kissed my forehead. “Now c’mon, we’ll head to the rez for that bonfire.”

“Ready whenever you are,” I told Jake as I gathered up my jacket and purse. Part of me thought Jake wanted to hurry on out of there before real ‘public displays of affection’ were shown. I had been rather surprised he hadn’t kissed my lips and only my forehead but I wouldn’t dare complain. I was happy to have Jake Black’s lips anywhere on me… as inappropriate as that sounds.

We threw away our cups and popcorn container in the trash at the exit of the cinema and then we headed right out to Jake’s car. I slipped my jacket onto my petite frame before getting inside. I wasn’t near as cold as other girls probably were; I was a vampire after all. I’d seen so many shivering up to their boyfriends before we’d went into the film and even afterwards.

It would be another small drive to the reservation but I didn’t mind it. We mainly talked about the movie and the parts we liked and didn’t like. I had forgotten what a Marvel fan Jake was, too. I thought Uncle Emmett was really the only one who shared my enthusiasm for the Avengers movies and other Marvel films. “You have no idea how big of a comic book nerd I was growing up. Sadly, we didn’t have a ton of money for me to buy them…” Jake informed me.

“Actually… your Grandpa would buy me one when I was younger, every now and again. I think it’s because he didn’t have Bella around for a really long time, when Renee initially took her with her and got re-married so he’d buy something for me because he didn’t have anybody else to buy for,” Jacob explained.

“That was really nice of Grandpa Charlie. He’s always been the type to love bringing a smile to someone’s face, no matter what. I’d love to see what comics you do have, though,” I admitted and Jake grinned. “I’d love to show you the collection sometime. I of course added to it more in my teen years after I started working, acquiring money of my own.” Of course he did. I could see him getting a paycheck tomorrow and the first thing he’d do is buy a new comic book.

“My favorite has always been X-Men,” I admitted as to keep us on the conversation of comic books; I could tell Jake enjoyed it. Plus, what more was there to really talk about unless we spoke more about the movie itself? “They’re born with their superpowers like Dad; Aunt Alice… to me, X-Men could be real. Batman, no; Spiderman, Superman, even the Avengers…probably not real.”

“That’s a good way to look at it, Ness,” Jake said softly as he looked over at me, making me smile in his direction. “I was hoping you wouldn’t find that childish or anything. It’s just… obviously superpowers do exist or Dad wouldn’t be able to read people’s minds and Aunt Alice wouldn’t be able to see the future the way she does. Look at my Mom’s gift: she had it even as a human, being immune to others gifts. My Mom could have been an X-Man…”

“Maybe she is,” Jake chuckled softly and nodded his head. “I agree with you. Bella has always been very unique like that…but you are, too,” he stated; but I couldn’t agree with Jake on that. “Other than being the second known vampire-human hybrid, there’s really nothing special about me,” I admitted as the car came to a stop outside of Jake’s home with his Father, Billy.

I got out and began gazing up at the stars out of a small bit of nervousness, perhaps; you could see them so perfectly out here in the ‘country.’ Not like you couldn’t from our house in the forest but sometimes the trees got in the way of your view out there. The stars looked exceptionally beautiful tonight and for some reason, I couldn’t help but softly smile as I gawked upward.

“That’s not true, Ness,” said Jake. I knew the conversation was long from over: I just knew Jake’s personality to not let things go easily…but I guess I had that same stubbornness about me.

I could hear him walking around the car again, kicking just a little gravel as he walked over to me. I never took my eyes off the stars though. I was dreading arguing with him but that’s how I am; I’ve got to get my point across. He was exactly the same way. “You’re beautiful, smart, hilarious…” although they were nice compliments, they weren’t something special about me.

“As much as I love hearing you say that, Jacob,” I whispered and finally took my eyes off the stars, lowering my head so I could look into his gorgeous brown eyes. “And as much as I just want to disagree and say no, I’m not beautiful…I’m not smart, and I’m not funny… it’s really the fact that those things aren’t something special about me. Even if I am beautiful, smart, and funny…I’m a vampire. All of us are alluring, Jake; look at Rose, Alice, Esme…and Mom. They’re all beautiful and you can’t deny it.”

“Of course I can’t deny it because you’re right, it’s true. But Ness, besides all of that. You’re special because you’re Renesmee. You could communicate with your Mom and Edward before you even came out of the womb, the rest of them couldn’t do that. You could speak to them with vivid memories, pictures in your mind… and you’re even learning to read our minds through your gift, allow us to show you things… if that’s not a special gift…” Jake’s voice trailed off.

“Maybe I do have a special gift, I’m fortunate for that. I come from two gifted parents and one of them might have been an X-Man as a human,” my voice showed that there was some humor behind what I’d said. “But I’m only half-vampire so I’m only half as beautiful, smart, and funny, as my Mom, Aunt Rose, Aunt Alice, and Grandma Esme. Part of me is human so I’m not as graceful, not as elegant…”

I wrapped my arms up around Jacob’s neck, my body instinctively pressing against his. It was a little chilly out now since the sun had gone down while we were at our movie. Not to mention we were near the ocean which made it windier.

“You’re the most beautiful woman in the world to me,” I heard Jake whisper which caused me to begin to blush. “Renesmee,” Jake said my name in his perfect voice; I felt his arms wrap around my waist. “You’re so fucking special to me,” he murmured right into my ear as he lent into the hug. I clung to him, desperate to be this close to him now…I never wanted to part from him.

“B-but…I’ve always been special… to you…” I whispered right back into his ear, letting my fingernails lightly dig into his shoulders. That murmur into my ear, it had done something to me…and I had liked it. I didn’t even know exactly what it had done…

“And you always will be special to me… but now you’re special in a new way. I’m feeling new things for you, Ness, and I hope you’re feeling ‘em for me, too,” he kept speaking in that soft voice and it was making my back arch, which caused my chest to press more against his. “I’m finally feeling the things that I should feel, being imprinted. I finally feel what Sam talks about with Emily, and the others talk about with their girls…”

“I’m sorry I made you wait so long, to feel these things,” I said in an apologetic sounding voice. “I promise…I’m not going to make you wait anymore,” I pulled my head back just a little, moving one of my hands off of his shoulder to cup his cheek, caressing his prominent jaw. “I haven’t minded waiting,” Jake said softly and I continued to stroke his jaw. I felt him rubbing his hands over my lower back, which made me shiver slightly; although maybe that was because it’s cold.

“Waiting… just like they say about distance, it’s made the heart grow even fonder. It makes finally having you now, feel all the sweeter, making it worth it.” He said with a soft chuckle that made me grin, a small giggle escaping my lips. “At least you aren’t mad about it. We could always look at it this way: at least I’ve been living for five years and am sixteen years old roughly. Instead of being alive five years and only being…five years old. This would be a little awkward,” I joked and pulled away slowly, having heard the door to Jake’s house open.
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 2,409

FEEDBACK! I haven't received much. If you enjoy the story, let me know. (: I have to admit: this story is doing quite well so far over on Fanfiction.net haha. ^_^