Status: updates once a week

A Love Like War

Le Prolougue

"One more day, one more day!" The stranger chanted beside me, whispering to an image of a girl, presumably his wife. He was one of ten of us, huddled behind a fallen tree awaiting the crowd of Germans to march through. I crouched uncomfortably, my legs already frozen and would have failed me if I attempted to move. The year 1942, a year people have said would be one of the worst years of the world's history. Men were chosen in large groups to serve our country and protect it's patriots from the war occuring. I, along with millions of other men, had been immediately drafted in placed within divisions of care. Waiting at home for me was my girlfriend of a few months, meeting her just before I was sent out to the Pennsylvania with 10, 000 troops to take on a rumoured attack. This was the fourth time being in battle, some people saying I was born with luck in my bones.
Most men don't survive the first.
I had learned to keep my head down low and hopes high at all costs, praying to a higher person that I could make it out alive and live to see my family once more. Today was no different from the others as I sat in the chilled weather of a late night in October.
Suddenly the soft distant sounds of wheels churning and horse clacks were heard throughout the air and cut through the silence like a blade.
"Boys, ready." Said our sergeant, his furrowed eyebrows nearly covering his lids as he readied his gun.
Minutes later they had become situated in our perfect line of aim, sergeant giving us a countdown signal. I had never bothered learning the names of those who I would eventually see die before my own eyes.
2...1..
The loud sounds of guns firing filled the air in seconds, puffs of smoke filling my lungs as I reloaded my gun and continued to fire off shots near the area of the Germans. The man beside me once talking to his wife was thrown back, the impact of a bullet instantly killing him. I shook my head and looked away, steadying my shot and aiming. Luckily we had come across a smaller travelling group, alotting us not only our sneak attack but also a one-up of troops.
When the last man standing was shot off his horse, a few of the men around me cheered in success. I smiled to myself knowing it was my shot that killed him, and confidently gathered my things. Tonight, I was going home.
***
Packs of cigarettes and bottles of beer were passed around throughout the men as we sat huddled in the back of a truck, mere minutes from our families. The atmosphere was lively as chatter of survival continued on, their words bursting with excitement. For me, though, there was only so much to be excited for. I wasn't awaiting much of a family, for my parents had died just months earlier when a bomb had exploded in my town. At the time, my brother and I had been away to battle, and returned to find ourselves with no home and no family to be with. With the little money our parents had left, we had purchased an apartment to share in a new town, starting a new life. And I missed my brother, Michael. His line of duty began weeks before mine, and I was excited to know I was going home to someone I loved.
"Men, this is it." Our sergeant smiled, looking around us from face to face. "We've made it home, even with the casualties faced, we are the survivors. I hope to meet you all again." He nodded, tipping his hat before jumping off the back of the truck. It was then it came to a hurried stop, the wheels screeching.
Cheers erupted from the crowds as we got out, men running to their wives and children. I quickly spotted my brother with a cigarette situated between his teeth, a grin on his lips.
"Brother!" He shouted, wrapping me in a hug. Our difference of height made me feel safe and protected in his arms as I felt comforted by what was left of my family.
"I've missed you, Mike. So much to catch up on! Where's Winnie?" I asked, confused as to why my girlfriend wasn't around. She should be here. Mike looked around, nervously rubbing the back of his neck.
"She went out earlier, said she'd come..."
I nodded, as if I completely understood. But I didn't, because she should be here and she isn't.
"Alright. Let's get back, I'm dog tired."
Mike and I walked back to the tiny apartment, sharing highlights of our time away. Mike had lost a friend of his and I regretted hearing that, if I could I would permit any kind of harm from ever reaching my brothers path again. Losing his parents had been enough.
We walked in together, and I was immediately enveloped in the scent of a roast and perfume. There was Winnie, facing the stove as she bopped to the radio playing. She wore the dress I bought her, her hair done up too fancy for my liking. When she turned around I almost grimaced at all the makeup on her face.
"Victor!" She squealed, turning and running into my arms. Her sticky lips quickly made their way to mine, but I hadn't felt any passion between it. I felt nothing with Winnie, and I never had.
"Winnie, how are you?" I asked her, smiling tightly. Dramatic tears were welled in her almond eyes as she embraced me again.
"Oh Victor, I'm so happy you're home. I made you a roast, see!" She squawked, gesturing grandly to the kitchen. I nodded and faked enthusiasm towards her.
"Excellent, darling. Mind me for a bit, I'm going to change out of this." I said, grimacing as I looked down to my uniform. I hadn't noticed the dried blood splatter inked on my shoulder sleeve until now. Winnie saw it the same time as me, and jumped back.
"U-uh y-es. Absolutely." She nodded, skipping back to the kitchen. Mike stepped in front of me, undoing the pins I had attached to the chest of my uniform as I unbuttoned the coat.
"Here, let me." He said quietly, reaching for my bloodied jacket.
"What for Mikey?" I asked, concerned.
"I'll get it cleaned for you, no worries brother." He smiled, putting it beside the door. I sent him a warm smile before going to my room.
My cat, Lou, was curled in a ball on the bed at jumped up at the sight of me. He purred excitedly as his tail weaved between my legs. I scratched between his ears, grinning.
"I missed you Lou." I sighed, before standing and removing my shirt. He responded in a meow before curling back up.
I stripped myself entirely, exchanging the old long johns for a new pair, slipping on chaps and a sweater along with it.
"Dashing." Winnie smiled, leaning against the post of my bedroom door. I almost jumped at the sound of her voice, sickly sweet. She came in and pressed her lips to my neck, trying to be seductive but had no effect on me.
"I can't wait to be in bed with you again. It was so hard being alone."
Really? I thought to myself. Were you taken away to a strange state with dying men to be placed on the brink of death and take lives?
I couldn't help the bitter thoughts bubbling inside. I was disgusted with her, I was disgusted by life. It took every bone in my body not to walk out the door. But instead I smile and kiss her back, feigning happiness. Something I knew I would have to do all my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
title a la letlive.

slow start, but a bit of insight to vic's life. PLEASSSSSSSSSSE comment you darlings