Status: updates once a week

A Love Like War

Would You Still Be There

Bloody and thirsty, Kellin dragged in a sharp cool breath and began sprinting to his next hiding spot, keeping his eye on the prize as he bolted with as much strength his legs could muster. The sound of a nearby gun cracking the sky made Kellin lose his balance and tumblr forward, landing facedown as his head hit the earth shatteringly hard. For a moment he saw stars, he body unmoving as everything turned black and blotchy. Around him noises continued, shouts of commands and thunderous shooting almost becoming impossible to hear as his mind fought to regain conciousness. After what felt like forever he came around and slowly blinked eyes open, spitting out bits of grass he gently lifted his head. In a sudden rush sounds whooshed into his ears and Kellin remembered where he was and pushed himself up, running and crouching behind a stack of wooden posts. Kellin felt his head pusling in pain as if it were cracking open, and gingerly reached to touch his forehead. He groaned when his fingers came in contact with hot and sticky substance.
Blood.
Pulling his hand back to survey, the blood had moved quickly down his fingertips and his palm, dripping onto his wrist. He felt dizzy and rolled down, becoming sick.
"I can't, I can't.." He moaned to himself, his hand to his head. His shoulders began to shake with sobs, tearless.
"Quinn!" A familiar voice shouted from behind him. Kellin couldn't muster ability to wave or show he was alive, but instead stayed down next to his vomit and prayed to be somewhere beautiful.
"Quinn," The voice repeated, closer now. "Please say you're alive."
"No." Kellin groaned.
Kellin could almost hear the breath Dawson was holding in finally exhale.
"Let's get you up. Things are clear." He muttered, bending low. Surprising Kellin, he snaked a hand under his back and made Kellin jump, easier for Rian as he lifted him up with a small grunt. Kellin kept his eyes glued shut and saw Vic behind his eyes, felt his arms wrapped around him. Thought of Vic as if he were carrying him to bed.
He waited to open his eyes and feel their lips meet. He waited to feel the warmth flood his stomach as he feverishly kissed his boyfriend over and over. Fluttering his eyes open to see Vic, he only saw Rian through slitted eyes. Ever so carefully, Rian placed his body down on the ground, somewhere more comfortable than what he was used to. Looking around he realised he was placed in the General's tent, in a cot. It was so comfortable, Kellin thought he would melt away.
"You can't sleep, I saw the rock you slipped your head onto. You have a concussion, and you'll end up killin' yourself if you sleep." Rian said apologetically. "Wait here and I'll go get you water and a face cloth."
Wait here, as if Kellin would be moving anyway.
After what feels like forever, Kellin felt a gentle hand place a cool compress to his burning up forehead.
"So I heard some good news while I was out and about." Rian started, sitting on the cot by Kellin's legs. "From a very reliable source, we're meeting up with the rest of the guys for a night tomorrow."
Kellin flew up, sitting in a striaght forward position as his heart and fingers fluttered. "The rest of the guys?" He whispered, feelings tapping the sides of his legs.
"Everyone from training camp." Rian said, grinning.
Kellin did his best to compress his need to squeal like a little girl. Grinning, he reached out and hugged Rian with might.
"Whoa whoa whoa, not so fast there, Quinn." Rian said, suddenly sullen. "No way you're making it. You're a mess, it'll be hell to pull you back together. And... oh, shit. I think you're still bleeding."
With that Rian got up and Kellin laid back down, huffing out. His chin quivered, shaking his pounding head. Any chance to see Vic and I'm taking it. He pressed his fingers to the mark on his head and felt the blood, new and old. In his mind a million thoughts had him weighing the possibilities of how tomorrow would go.
"Eh, Kellin?" A frail female voice spoke gently, walking in front of Rian whom was carrying a metal chair and a first aid kit. Kellin sat up and looked at the two, eyebrows furrowed. Based off her virgin white dress and tied back grey hair, the lady was a nurse and was about to be the hell Kellin would be going through to be put back together. "Young man?"
Kellin nodded, getting up to shake the woman's hand.
"Young man, sit down before I knock you back out." She spoke with a certain authority, suddenly not a sweet grandmother but a terrifying force to be reckoned with. Kellin instantly obeyed and sunk back down, his head on the cot. He was beginning to realise it wasn't so comfortable up here.
"This will sting. And hurt. If you can't handle it, you'd have to handle being dead from infection. Your choice." She shrugged, voice sweeter even with venom words. With a toothy smile, she clicked for her first aid kit. Rian was there in an instant, also seemingly transfixed by her demeanour. Rian sat back down by my legs and watched as the woman pull out gauze, alcohol, a needle and thread.
She was going to literally sew Humpty Dumpty back together again.
Vic better be fucking alive. Kellin thought, grimacing and grinding his teeth as she swiped alcohol on the gash. He could feel the sting burn into his open wound, seeping through his blood and setting his insides on fire.
♠ ♠ ♠
short but hey oh