Status: updates once a week

A Love Like War

Nothing I've Become

KELLIN'S POV
"Faggot! Get up! Stand up, you piece of shit!" My father shouted, pulling me off the bed by my shoulders. I attempted to shield my body as his hits began to sting my skin.
"Father, father. Please." I sobbed, letting my wounded and exposed body hit the ground.
I woke with a start, my body dissapearing from my dream state into reality as I shot up out of bed.
"Shit." I hissed, feeling at my body. I searched for the pool of blood, to only find crisp white sheets mussed below me. Looking to my right I heard the soft snores of the boy in the bed across from mine. My panic dissipated as I looked at him, a smile creeping up on my face. I wanted to fight against the feelings boiling in my stomach but for now I allowed myself to enjoy them in my moment of peace.
Until a blaring alarm sounded.
Vic shot up, his hair sticking up everywhere. His eyes widened as he looked around him, resting his eyes on mine before his shoulders slumped.
"It's a pleasant way to wake, ain't it?" He chuckled, his voice cracked with morning. I felt a rumble in my stomach at the low and growled tone.
"Mhmm." I nodded, acting as if I too were seriously disturbed by the alarm. We turned our backs to each other as we got dressed. I turned too early to see the ripples of Vic's back for only a moment as he pulled his shirt on. I choked as my own breath got caught in my own throat and began coughing, my face turning red with embarrassment.
"Oh God, are you okay?" Vic said, turning around. I nodded as I coughed, Vic stepping towards me and placing his hands on my arms.
"Breathe, breathe." He chanted as he gently squeezed my forearm. I continued to nod, my coughing beginning to subside but the redness in my face-- not so much.
A few seconds later I stopped and started to laugh at myself after regaining my breath. Vic gave me a confused look before laughing along.
"Ladies! Let's go!" Someone shouted as they walked by. Vic froze and pulled his arms from mine as if I suddenly bursted into flames.
"Uh, yeah. Let's." Vic attempted to recover, spinning on his heel with his hat in hand. In a swift movement he tucked the pony tail of dark hair under the hat and continued speed walking towards the exit.
We were both hit by the early morning sunlight, nearly blinding me as I stumbled out the door. Vic and I joined the formed line of men standing in front of the few captains and generals appointed.
"Men! Welcome to the 4th quarter of the squad you've been enforced-- also known as hell on earth. We'll be shaping you into the men we need you to be before you're all dead men. Clear?" The tallest shouted, his hands crossed behind his back as he paced.
Silence.
"Are we clear?" he repeated, an octave louder.
"Sir yes sir!" We instinctiouly chanted, a hand shading our foreheads. The man nodded in approval before standing back to his previous place. The man beside him stepped forward.
"Sargeant Dawson. I'm about to make you pansy's lives a living hell. I want two squads, each and every one of you out there working your ass off until you pray for a gun barrel." He shouted. He began coming closer to me until we were face to face, only inches apart. "You. Squad 1." he said, stabbing a finger into my chest. I dug my heel into the ground to help from teetering on impact.
"Squad 2." He said to Vic, before continuing down the line. I looked at Vic and he only shrugged. Just as I was about to open my mouth, Sargeant Dawson stepped forward again.
"Squad 1 with me. Squad 2 to drill practise. Clear?"
"Sir yes sir!" The group echoed before disparting. With a small smile and a wave, Vic turned and began to jog away.
"And now those of you left...time for cardio." Sargeant Dawson explained, pulling up his legs one by one to his chest to stretch.
"To survive you need two things: a loaded gun and the legs to run." He paced, briefly making eye contact with each of us. "The dicks who put you here provide the first, and I'm here to shape up step two. Get ready to run, mother fuckers."
****
Was I bleeding out of every pore of my body or sweating? I could no longer distinguish the two as I limped towards the canteen. Vigourous running was not my forte, this was for sure. With a relieved moan I reached the water station, moving the cups out of my way and sticking my head underneath the faucet as I gulped. Once even my lungs were watered I backed off, gasping, and went towards the food line. I grabbed a tray and attempted to regain my breath.
"Thankyou." I winced as the slop was thrown onto my plate. I took the tray and turned around, searching for where to sit. I soon found my eyes on Vic at a table, his head thrown back and shoulders shaking in laughter at the man beside him.
Grimacing I walked forward and was about to avoid the table when Vic noticed me.
"Kellin, get your ass over here young man." Vic laughed, wiping the corners of his eyes. With a fake smile in his direction I slammed my tray on the table before sitting down.
"Jaime, this is Kellin, my roomate. Kellin, this is my old friend Jaime." Vic introduced us once he calmed down.
"Jaime Preciado, honored." Jaime smiled gently, holding his hand out. I nodded and shook his hand, pulling away quickly.
I didn't like this guy.
"How was your little run?" Jaime asked, shoving a forkful of unrecognizable food into his mouth.
"Oh, real fun. Dawson and I are best friends." I said sarcastically, unable to fight the urge to roll my eyes.
"Yeah, not looking to that part... drills we're kinda fun, though. Met this goofball." Vic laughed, messing up Jaime's hair to which Jaime playfully swatted away. Jealously rooted itself in my stomach and pitted there, threatening to bubble and spill over. Instead I kept my lips tight and nodded, a slight fake smile on my lips. Vic didn't seem to notice the difference and continued to play with Jaime. With a sigh my shoulders fell and I picked away at my food, surpressing the moan building inside from all pain I felt in my body.
Vic and Jaime's voices floated to the back of my mind as I sat there in the all too familiar silence, even with all sorts of people around. I looked around for any kind of solace when I saw him.
Him.
With a gulp I swerved my head away, heart palpitating and palms sweaty. My vision blurred.
"Kellin?" I heard Vic's voice from what sounded to be miles away.
"Kellin, hey, Kels. You don't look okay."
I looked behind my shoulder again to see him staring straight at me.
Pulling away from Vic's grip on my arm, I got up to run when my legs began to shake. As I felt myself tumbling to the ground a steel grip grabbed my arm and pulled me right back up.
Slowly I lifted my head to meet his gaze.
♠ ♠ ♠
hi y'all
hows everyone???????????