Somewhere Over The Rainbow

The Brake Up

He came to my house.
I don’t know why, he just did.
After I let him in and we settled in my room, he kept quiet for a long time. Just staring off into the wall. It looked like he was completely gone. Not thinking, not acknowledging anything or anyone.

At first I just waited. Waited for him to say something that would explain why he all of a sudden came to my house after hardly speaking to each other except for when it was necessary. After he didn’t say anything for a couple of minutes, I tried clearing my throat. He didn’t even blink.

“Pierre?” Nothing. No reaction what so ever. He just sat there. Hands resting awkwardly in his lap, his eyes glazing over from staring unblinking into the wall for so long. I stood up from my place in the beanbag I had been sitting in and went to sit next to him on the bed, facing him, trying to read his expression somehow. I couldn’t. He was completely blank.

“She dumped me…” I just sighed. I knew this day would come. But I guess I sort of thought it wouldn’t be so bad, seeing as they were together for a while. That she would sort of do it somewhat respectfully and nice, so to speak. I didn’t say anything to him. I just sat there, carefully rubbing his back a little as he kept staring intently at the wall in front of him.
“…apparently there’s some other guy that was more interesting. And ‘she had gotten everything she could from our relationship.’”

He stopped looking at the wall and averted his gaze to his hands. Emotion finally starting to show on his face. He looked thoroughly upset. I can’t blame him, really, he did actually care about her a lot. I still hadn’t uttered a word. I guess I thought he should get to get his feelings out before I started to interfere.

“I don’t get it. I thought everything was perfect. Then she told me there was nothing. Like it was just to humor her. How could I be so stupid? I should have listened to you guys when you said she was no good.”

I had to say something now. If I didn’t he would most likely start verbally abusing himself.

“Pierre, it’s not your fault. You’re not the first one who’s made a bad decision when it comes to dating. Everybody has to go through some bad experiences, but it will turn out as something good in the end. Teenage romance will always come to an end. And sometimes it’s painful, but you can’t give up. You can’t let her bring you down completely.”

“I can’t help it. She was perfect, she was amazing, she still is… And I love her, I can’t let that go just like that!”

“I know that. But you have to try. It may take a while, but sooner or later it’ll be okay, and you’ll find someone new, someone who cares about you just as much as you care about her.”

Damn, why am I so fucking nice all the time? I shouldn’t be. I should be bitter, and mean, but I can’t. Not to him. He’s too damn cute, which makes it all so much more difficult. I guess I should be happy now that he no longer actually has a girlfriend, but as I assumed from the beginning he came to me once they broke up. I, once again, became the shoulder to cry on. I always do. I’m always stuck as the friend, no one sees me as anything but a friend, and it’s starting to bug the living hell out of me!