The Final Lullaby

Flashing Back to the Past

Darkness swirled around her immediate vision. She couldn't move her body; it hurt too much. Fogginess clouded her senses and made her think of the town that she had been in. What had happened? Was she responsible for the things that had started occurring after she had woken up? These questions ran through her mind and forced her muscles to tense. She sat up quickly and nearly regretted it. Her entire body felt like it had been hit by a truck. Star opened her eyes and immediately shrank back.

She was once again in a hospital. This one only slightly less decrepit than the last. The paint still peeled from the walls in strips. Dirt leaves, and broken, useless wheelchairs littered the broken tiled floor. The only difference between this room and her last was the unscathed mirror that sat on the wall proportional to the bed that she lay on.

Star whimpered and curled up in the fetal position in the corner of the ransacked bed. She could feel that she was being watched, monitored. But she could do nothing about it. She closed her eyes and held her hands over her mouth, trying to keep the screams from coming out. That’s what they wanted. They wanted her to succumb to them. To allow them to see her power; see what she could do. Just one peek at it was all they would need, and then they would have everything that they had needed her for and she would become expendable.

Star’s breathing intensified until she was hyperventilating against her fists. If she stayed in this place any longer, she would die. She had to get out.

“Please help me.” she whispered out, her face coming from behind her fists. She looked at the mirror and whimpered again.
A tear made its way down her sooty cheeks. She wiped at the solitary tear and sighed when she pulled her hand back down and noticed the smudge of black on her index finger. She scoffed. They didn't even take the time to clean her up before placing her in the room.

Cutting the whimpers off, Star wiped again at her face to make sure no other tears had leaked out. She then got up from the tarnished, ransacked bed and with sooty bare feet, rose and walked over to the mirror that sat perched on the wall. She looked pensively at the mirror for a moment, not really admiring the reflecting image so much as thinking. Star cautiously put her hand to glass and watched in fascination as her palm lit up a fiery red. She continued to look at the inflamed palm until a flashback swam into her vision.

After she had been given the sedative the scientists had taken her into a laboratory where they were to perform more tests on her. She had used her power, they just had not noticed.

“Her vitals are the same as before, but her epinephrine levels are much higher than the last time.” A dark haired man named Dr. Jamie Grayson told the others in the room.

He was monitoring her vitals to make sure she didn't slip into a drug induced coma while they tested some of their newest theories on her.

“That’s odd. Her heart rate is normal.” A ruggedly built woman spoke up with a Russian accent. Her bottom lip stuck out as she glanced over the chart once more.

“It would seem her power is far more extensive than we realized.” Dr. Grayson assured them, a sneer of triumph on his greedy pug like face.

Star’s body was strapped to a table, IV’s stuck all over her body. She twitched her arm in her drug-induced sleep and mewled in pain. Just as the scientists thought that they had her, her body began to glow a vicious fiery red.

"What's happening?"

"What is this?"

"HELP ME! SOMEBODY! PLEASE!"

Those were the last screams of the scientists in that building. Star’s power had disintegrated the building and everyone who had been in the vicinity.


Yanking her hand away from the glass, Star stared horrified at her image in the mirror.

“I did that? Oh god. Oh god!” She cried out, her tears staining her cheeks and running paths down her sooty face.

She fell to the floor and sobbed. Her body racked with tremors that not even she could cease.