Perfectly Different

Wild Child

Courtney’s POV:
“Court, get your butt in the van now.” My best friend, Melody Patrick yells at me. I’m Courtney Fuller and I just turned 18 yesterday. Mel and I are taking a road trip out to California to celebrate and to have one last party before college.
“I’ll be right there, Mel!” I yell back at her. I turn to my boyfriend, Cory. We’ve been together almost a year.
“Don’t meet anyone out there.” He tells me and I smile.
“Cory, I could never. It took me way too long to find you.” I kiss him and run to the truck.
“I want a picture as soon as you get it done.” He calls after me. I’m getting my nose pierced as soon as we get out there.
“Sure, Core.” I tell him and Melody drives off.
“Leave the boy behind. You’ll see him again in a week.” Melody tells me.
“I know, but I love him.”
“You two are so cute together.” She finally joins in with me.
“Hey, you had Joey.”
“But that was just weird.” She and Joey started dating right before Cory asked me out. I’m not sure why they broke up, but I never asked.
“Okay, well we’re heading out to California now and that’s what matters.” I can’t wait to lay on the beach and get a tan.
“Yeah buddy! This is our last chance to escape.”
“Can you believe we’ve been planning this forever and now we’re going?” I ask her.
“But now our plans are changing a little because of Cory.”
“Who said we can’t stalk cuties? You’re single.”
“And not ready to move on quite yet.”
“Joey was great, but, Mel, you need to move on.”
“No, okay, just, let me move on later.” We drive to the Kansas and Colorado border before we need gas.
“Switch drivers?” I ask her.
“Please. That drive just about killed me.” She says and I laugh.
“It’s Kansas, what did you expect?” I ask her.
“Sorry, I’m usually asleep.”
“That was a great place to sleep.” I say and get behind the wheel. I put in my Luke Bryan CD and start screaming the lyrics to Country Girl.
“Let me guess, I don’t get to sleep?” Melody asks.
“While Luke is signing to us? Why would you sleep though that?” I ask and we laugh. We drive straight through and make it in a day and a half.
“Are you ready for this?” Melody asks me as we walk up to the shop.
“No, not really. It looked less scary in the pictures.” I say and I’m getting a bad feeling about this. There are a ton of motorcycles out here.
“This is so not your place.” She tells me.
“Yeah, no kidding.” I say. I look at my pink top and three inch heels. I hold my purse a little closer and text my mom to say we made it.
“Do you want to back out?” Mel asks me.
“No, Cory’s looking forward to it.” I leave my fear outside and open the door.
“Can I help you?” Some tattooed guy asks me.
“I want a nose piercing.” I say.
“Take a sit. We’ll get you started.” Then I see him. No way.