Perfectly Different

Broken

Cameron’s POV:
“Please tell me about yesterday.” Courtney pleads with me after about an hour.
“Well, yesterday was rough for us.”
“Miss Fuller, we have your results.” A nurse walks in and I take Court’s hand. She looks at me.
“Please tell me I get to move out of here. I’m not dead.” Courtney says and the nurse laughs.
“You will be moved tomorrow.” Courtney rolls her eyes. “Then you’ll spend another week or two in your regular room before we let you go home.”
“But I start classes in a week!” Courtney sits up and then collapses down.
“We’ve contacted the school and you’ll be excused.”
“Can you just tell her how bad it is?” I ask and the nurse looks at me, annoyed.
“Courtney, you have a broken nose and three broken ribs. Those will both take a while to heal and you’ll be in a lot of pain. Your black eye will heal normally and bruises will fade. You’re very lucky.”
“Does anyone know what happened yet?” She asks.
“The police have not shown up, but I’m sure a report has been filed.” The nurse says and starts to leave.
“What happened to the other driver?” I ask.
“Information that will not be released.”
“Please tell me.” Courtney begs, a tear rolling down her face. “I need to know if I killed someone.” I squeeze her hand.
“The other driver is being released tomorrow.” The nurse walks out and Courtney looks at me.
“How? What? That’s not fair, Cameron!” Courtney cries and I can see crying hurts her worse.
“I’m sorry, Courtney, but at least you’re alive.”
“That stupid person just gets to go on with life while I’m here with all this crap and I don’t even know what happened!”
“You don’t know how badly I wish I could tell you.” I tell her.
“Can you tell me about anything? You said it was rough for us, so what happened?” She asks me and I take a deep breath.
“Well, I was picking you up for a date and you ran to turn off your music. I asked you what it was and you wouldn’t tell me; it was an Allstar Weekend song. We got in a big fight over it, completely my fault for overreacting. You said you couldn’t let go of everything we had done and then stormed off and got in the wreck. I have no idea how the wreck happened, but I’ll try to find out.” I tell her and she looks at me.
“Cam, stop.” I look at her.
“Are you okay?” I ask her.
“We got in a fight, I look like crap, and you’re still here?” She asks me and I kiss her hand.
“I will never leave your side.” I tell her.
“Don’t make me feel anything; it hurts to cry or laugh.” She says and I laugh.
“You’ll get better; you’re strong.” I tell her.
“I hope so.”
“Will you tell me everything?” I ask her and she looks at me.
“Later, Cameron.” She says and she starts to sleep. They must have given her pain medication. I walk out to see Melody and Jordan.
“How is she?”
“Better. She doesn’t remember yesterday at all, she has a lot broken, but she’ll be moved to a regular room tomorrow for a week or two.” I tell them and they both cry in relief.
“Wait, what about her classes?” Melody asks.
“She’s being excused from the first few weeks.” I tell them and I wait for her to wake again