Perfectly Different

Perfect Moment

Cameron’s POV:
“Do you remember what today is?” I ask Courtney.
“Yeah, one year since my wreck.” Her ribs still hurt her sometimes, but other than that, she was fine six months ago. “And a month after our two year.” She smiles.
“That it is.” I tell her and she laughs.
“Are you getting at something?” She asks me.
“Maybe.”
“Cameron, remember what I said about cheesy crap.” She says and I laugh.
“Don’t worry, I remember.” She fakes the smile that she’s been faking for a few weeks.
“Oh no, it’s really back.” She sits on her bed and I sit next to her.
“What’s back?” I ask her and she turns away from me.
“I still haven’t told you about what you did for me five years ago.” I put my hand on her shoulder.
“And you can wait until you’re ready.” She looks at me again, tears falling. She tells me everything; how she was bullied in high school and so close to letting them win.
“Now it’s back and I can’t stop it. Something’s wrong with me, Cam. I'm diseased.” She says.
“There is nothing wrong with you. Everyone has bad days; you’re one of the lucky ones who has more.”
“How is that lucky?” She asks, almost laughing.
“I don’t know yet, but you’re special.”
“And that, Cam, is how you saved me. You always make me feel special without even trying.” I kiss her and wipe her tears.
“This can’t wait. I was going to wait until tomorrow and do everything the way Melody told me to, but I’m not waiting.” I start singing Oh Darling to her, no guitar. She smiles.
“Cameron.” She says when I’m finished and I stop her.
“Courtney, I love you so much. You’ve been through a lot, and we may be different, but we work together. Will you marry me?” I ask her.
“Yes!” She says and I put the ring on her finger then kiss her.
“I figured you would say that.” She laughs and runs down the hall.
“Jordan!” She yells.
“What?” Jordan yells and I laugh. These girls are crazy.
“Cameron just proposed!” I hear a dish fall and step in the hall.
“You did?” Jordan asks, smiling.
“Look at her hand if you don’t believe it.” Courtney shoves her hand in Jordan’s face.
“Look at this thing!” They scream and jump in circles. I have no idea what I’m getting myself in to here.
“You have to call Melody.” Courtney runs to get her phone.
“Mel, he just proposed!” I hear a scream from the other end of the phone. She clicks a button.
“Cameron, you are so crazy. We had it all perfect!" Melody yells at me. Great, speaker phone.
“The moment was right.” I tell her, laughing.
“The moment was perfect!” Courtney yells and I wrap my arms around her. “This.”
“What’s going on?” Melody asks.
“Cameron’s groping Courtney.” Jordan cackles.
“Gross!” Melody yells.
“He is not! He’s just hugging me, stupid face.” Courtney sticks her tongue out at Jordan.
“Shut up, Zach, I’m talking to Courtney and Jordan.” Melody says and I laugh.
“Get back to Zach.” I say.
“No one likes you, Cam.” Melody says and hangs up.
“She’s right, Cam, because I love you.” Courtney says and kisses me. And I’m cheesy?