Perfectly Different

Good In Goodbye

Courtney’s POV:
“Cory.” I say again. I look up and see a little girl on his shoulders and smile. “Is that your daughter?” I ask him.
“Yeah, she just turned three.” He moved on kind of fast.
“That’s nice. She has your eyes.” I tell him and he laughs.
“I get that a lot. Talia, come meet an old friend of mine.” This is a really bittersweet moment. I take Cameron’s hand.
“Hi, you must be Courtney. I’ve seen plenty of pictures of you and Cory together.” She smiles.
“That would be me.” I look down and she she’s not wearing a ring.
“So nice to meet you. I’ve heard a lot about you.” She tells me. I hate to do this, but I have to know.
“It must be nice to have married Cory; he’s a great guy.” They look at each other.
“Yes, he is, but we aren’t married.” I look up at the girl. “Melinda is our child together.”
“Oh.” I say.
“Courtney?” Cameron asks me.
“How nice.”
“We are planning on getting married, we just wanted Melinda to be a little bit older.” Cory tells me.
“Melinda like your grandma.”
“You still remember that?” He asks and I laugh.
“Of course. We argued over Melinda and Isabella all the time.”
“True, we did. So, you and Cameron got married.” Cory says and I smile.
“We did. Uhm, Cameron, Talia, can Cory and I talk alone for a second?” I ask and they leave.
“What’s going on?” Cory asks. We sit on the bench where we always used to sit.
“I just wanted to say I was right. This goodbye finally makes sense to us. We were both able to let go and now we’re happy.” I hear Melinda laughing. Cameron must be doing something.
“Actually, Courtney, you were right. And I’m glad Cameron can make you happy.”
“I’m glad Talia and Melinda make you happy.”
“They really do, Court. When you have a child, I don’t know, it changes you.” I wish I had been able to change him.
“How long had you been together? When she was born.” I ask him.
“One year.” He tells me.
“Knocked her up after the third month?” I ask him and we start laughing.
“Yeah, I did.”
“Good for you, staying with her.”
“Some girl taught me to be a good man.” He says and I smile. Maybe I did change him.
“She must have been really special.”
“This girl was. And she’s a great friend.”
“Anytime, Core.”
“Maybe we could hang out sometime.” Cory suggests.
“No, I don’t think so.” I tell him.
“Okay, I understand why.” We walk over to Talia and Cameron.
“He is all yours, Talia.”
“And she is all yours, Cameron.”
“Bye, Cam!” Melinda says.
“Cam, I want kids.” I say when they leave. He looks at me.
“Yeah, so do I.” He says.
“This was nice, seeing Cory again. I think it was the closure we both needed.” I tell Cameron and he wraps his arm around my shoulder.
“As long as you’re mine.”
“Forever, Cam. That’s what we both promised and it’s not changing.” I promise him.
“Their daughter was adorable.” He says and I laugh.
“She looks like Cory.”
“Does that bother you?” He asks me.
“No, it doesn’t. I just hope if we have a daughter she looks like you.” We head for the car and he drives home.