Perfectly Different

Surprise

Cameron’s POV:
“So, how do you like the beach?” I ask the girls.
“It's amazing. I’m Melody, by the way.”
“And I’m Courtney.”
“Well, Courtney and Melody, would you like to stop by after this?” I ask them.
“We’d love to.” Courtney says without thinking.
“Court, really?”
“Please, Mel? Don’t make me beg, my nose hurts.” These girls are hilarious.
“That is so your problem.”
“I have to agree with Melody.” I interrupt.
“Well you don’t have anything pierced; you wouldn’t understand.” Thank goodness for that. Zach walks up.
“This is Melody and Courtney.” I tell him.
“Hello.” He says and Melody giggles.
“Hi, Zach.” Well these girls don’t hide much. Courtney seems really nice, there is no way she likes me that much. I can’t tell her I like her.
“So, Cameron, is there anything special about this beach?” Courtney asks me and I look at her.
“No, not that I know of.” Her smile falls.
“Oh, okay.”
“Were you thinking of something specific?” I ask her.
“No, it’s nothing. I was just curious. Oh, Cory’s calling, I’ll be back.” Of course she has a boyfriend. I look at Melody and Zach who are getting along well.
“Zach, we’re only out here for a week. And you’re 24, that’s different than 18.” Melody says.
“I don’t mind if you don’t.” She smiles when he says it.
“Sorry, that was my boyfriend. We just broke up.” Courtney’s about to cry.
“I’m sorry.” I tell her.
“Don’t be, it’s my fault he broke up with me.”
“No, it’s not.” She cannot think that way.
“Trust me, it is. I said the wrong thing.” She walks over to Melody who jumps up.
“Come on, you are going to Quiseng’s house and you’re going to smile.” Melody tells her.
“But Cory!”
“Do you really care about that?” Melody asks Courtney.
“I really did love him. Once. For a second.”
“And who do you love more?” Melody asks. I wonder what she meant by that.
“So, Cam, you’ve been inviting us over all afternoon.” Courtney is smiling, but it looks faked.
“Can I come? Let’s make it a party.” There is no point in turning Zach down.
“Sure. Who needs a ride?” I ask.
“Mel, don’t say anything. I’m riding with you.” Courtney runs to the van they have. Maybe she and I are too different to work. I lead the way. It’s nice to have my own place. Brent was a cool roommate, but I like privacy.
“Do you want the quick tour?” I ask and Courtney smiles.
“Yeah, sure, that’d be great.” She says. I take her around.
“And finally this is where I keep my gifts from fans.”
“In a tiny closet?” She asks, upset.
“I’m not gonna throw em out, but I’m not gonna look at em much.” She starts to walk off, then stops and looks.
“Hang on a second. You still have this?” She holds up a picture.
“Of course I do.”
“Cameron, I can’t draw to save my life. Why’d you keep it?” She asks. She’s halfway between laughing and crying.
“You spent some time on it. It meant a lot to you and a lot to me that you made it.” I tell her and she hugs me.