Baby Doll

Hello Jenna

”Could you wrap this up for me? It's a gift.”

Jenna smiled stiffly at the customer who stood in front of her. He pushed the black dog collar towards her on the glass counter as an attempt of speeding the process up. “Sure thing! Red or blue wrapping paper?”

“Blue, please.”

It was december 16th and a surprising amount of people went to the pet shop to get christmas gifts. People had bought dog treats, collars and cages for their loved ones. Some even went as far as buying a puppy or a kitten – but of course they never needed to be put in boxes and wrapped up. The entire shop was decorated with red bows, santas on the shelves and fake snow on the counters.

Jenna put the collar in a box and started covering it with shiny blue paper. She then handed the parcel over to the customer, took the crinkled bills which he gave her and wished him a merry christmas. When the man had left the pet shop she sighed and shook her head. It had been a busy morning, but finally it was time to take a break and have lunch.

Jenna smiled as she entered the staffroom and saw a very familiar person sitting by the table, eating her turkey sandwhich so fiercly that one couldn't believe that she had ever seen food before.

“Hey Annie,” Jenna said and opened a refrigerator to pull her lunchbox out. She then sat down next to the sandwhich-eating girl and started digging into her own food.

Annie put her sandwhich down for a second. “Hi Jenna! Are the customers keeping you busy?”

“Yeah... It's crazy crowded and some people are just so goddamn needy.”

Annie snorted. “I'm happy that my tasks consist of restocking and taking care of the animals. Dealing with people is so much more difficult.”

“Tell me about it...” Jenna sighed and scooped some rice into her mouth.

“So... How's it goin' with you and that Wasteman87 guy?” Annie asked.

Jenna blushed. Annie was the only one who knew that she spent every night chatting with a stranger online. They had a deep emotional connection, Wasteman87 and BabyDoll, but all Jenna really knew about him was that he was born 1987. He hadn't told her his name, location or even sent a picture. Well, she hadn't either, but that was only because he seemed to be so anti-personal-information. For now she was happy with talking about the world in general and how they felt about things, but she feared the day when that wouldn't be enough for her anymore. Wasteman87 was like a drug to her and she just couldn't stop talking to him.

“Nothing much has happened there.”

Annie raised her eyebrows. “I think it's time that you put some pressure on this guy. I'm starting to think that he's a Catfish.”

“Isn't the whole concept of a Catfish someone who is something other than what he says he is? In that case, no. He hasn't lied since he hasn't given me any information at all,” Jenna chuckled.

Annie shook her head slowly. “I'm just worried about you, Jennster. I can see it in your eyes that you feel something for this man. I don't want you to invest so much time and energy when he is so shady.”

“I'll be fine. It's just a harmless flirt with someone I'll never meet.”

*

Later that day, Jenna opened her laptop and to her delight saw that Wasteman87 was online. She loved to see that green circle next to his name.

Wasteman87 says:
Hey doll! ;-)

BabyDoll says:
Hello. What's up?

Wasteman87 says:
Nothing. I've been waiting for your sweet name to pop up for half an hour now...

BabyDoll says:
All good things come to he who waits. ;-)

Wasteman87 says:
You have no idea how true that is! Really, thank you doll for being a part of my life. Whenever I've had a rough day you're always here to cheer me up. But... don't tell anyone I just said that. It would ruin my reputation as a macho man.

BabyDoll says:
Macho? You? Allow me to LOL! You are such a softie. :-)

Wasteman87 says:
Only for you, my dear.

Jenna shivered. She hated that someone without a face or a name could affect her like that. A few sweet words and she was sold. There was something special about him and she wanted to know so much more. She needed to know who he was.

BabyDoll says:
I've been thinking...

Wasteman87 says:
Oh really? That's a first! ;-)

BabyDoll says:
Shut up!!! What I was about to say is that I really want to know your real name. I can tell you mine too. I know that you're not a fan of sharing personal information, but it's been four months and calling you Wasteman in my head isn't that sexy. Please? I kind of need it.

Wasteman87 says:
I don't know, doll... No tricks?

BabyDoll says:
I promise.

Wasteman87 says:
Fine. I'm Brendon.

BabyDoll says:
Yo Brendon, nice to meet you. I'm Jenna.

Wasteman87 says:
That's a beautiful name. I like it. Hello Jenna.