Status: Sterek! Chaptered, because I cannot leave things as a one-shot. That's how terrible of a writer I am. Also I don't own anything - besides the plot - and the title is Marianas Trench 'Stutter' <--- main inspiration for this story (don't own that either).

Stutter

The 'not-to-do's in a werewolf's presence

"Okay, why're we still here?" I asked, probably for the third time in the last half an hour. Derek had ignored me the other two times I had asked, so I was no expecting an answer, yet still deadly impressed that I even bothered to ask. The silence that followed only had me sigh in defeat and sink deeper into my seat. Staring at the entrance of a hospital for two hours straight was to get insane over. There had happened nothing at all and Derek just seemed to be waiting. For what, I had no idea and there was no point in asking. It was Derek. He seemed to believe that he could communicate with people telepathically. This was no a romance. Not like some girls from school would probably have wanted it to be had they been the narrators of my life. They weren't, and maybe that was a good thing. Then again, maybe I wouldn't be stuck here if they were.

"Go in and check if she's there. Don't do anything stupid." Derek commented like it was supposed to make me feel any better. The jump scare I had gotten from suddenly hearing the big bad beta speak should have been more than enough to tell Derek that I was not the right person to do this. "Why the hell do you want me to go in there? Isn't this a job for the doggies, or something?" I asked, a small bit of fear shining through, something I did my best to hide under thick, sticky layers of sarcasm. he look it got from Derek had me sigh, roll my eyes and get out of my car. I managed to shut the door before I realized that I had no idea where I should be finding the stupid alpha. "Where the hell am I supposed to look?!" I asked, frustration and annoyance with all of this, clearly showing in my features. As per usual with Derek I didn't get an answer. And trust me - walking into a hospital in the middle of the night with the potential of a deadly supernatural creature that was supposed to only exist in books and movies being present is scary. Had it not been for my usual overconfidence I would have run away like a dog with its tail between its legs. The reference all for Derek bloody Hale.

Had it not been for my mother having been ill when I was younger, I would have found the hospital even more creepy than it looked. It was a little odd sneaking my way into a potentially abandoned ward of the building, looking for a supernatural creature. Was I feeling stupid? Yup. Did I wish that I had been the one to be bitten? Yup. Did I wish none of this had ever happened? Hell no. So I walked through the empty corridors, my heart beating a little faster than I liked. This was definitely not on my bucket list for things to do before I died. However, with werewolves in my life I might have to go home and change it. Maybe even consider my will. It would definitely end wrong some day.

"Wait... what was it he told me again? It was his... what? Uncle's nurse?" I stopped dead and looked around. Now I could use someone to ask for directions. "Why am I being bait?" I whispered to myself, just realizing that I had been a little too loud and that this should have been nothing more than a peek into the enemy's headquarters. I began moving again, this time paying a little closer attention to the name tags close to the doors. This was even worse than looking for a straw of grass in a field. It was like looking for a grain of sand on the beach. I still didn't get why Derek had to use me as bait. And whether it was my luck or pure instinct that I actually managed to find what I had been looking for. The room where Derek's uncle should be held. Damn I hoped that the crazy woman hadn't killed her off. Because the door was open wide, compared to the others that had been closed. With a beating heart I looked inside and saw what I had never thought I would see. The ice that suddenly ran through my veins had a shiver run up my spine and all of my joints freeze solid. It had not been the nurse. It was Derek's uncle.

"Well, well, well... sending someone to do the dirty work for him is he?" A cold cynical voice reached me, had another shiver like ice water run down my spine. I sucked in a breath, turned and looked to my right. And there was the missing wheel chair occupant. The man looked as marred as anyone. He looked almost like the spitting image of a real villain you would only see in a movie. Now I just cursed my luck. "Who? I have no idea what you're talking about." I blurted like the huge idiot I was. If Derek was right in anything then this guy was the alpha and I was about to become a chew bone for a very large, very vicious dog. "I presume my dear nephew sent you." The older male commented, almost bored with my presence. "What?" I asked apparently too stupid to get my head together right now. The man looked at me with an offended expression. It was worse than when Derek looked at me like that, because this guy was going to do everything his eyes could possibly convey to me without him having to explain himself. That was what scared me. And I think he could feel my sudden urge to leave, because he was suddenly giving in to a bit of the beast inside of him.

To say that my heart skipped a beat would be making a joke of it. To say that it stopped for a second would be an understatement. I had no idea what happened, but I froze and I had never feared for my life like I did in the seconds that I stared the beast in the face. And I could have never been happier to hear Derek's voice break through the ice and bring me back to the land of the living. I turned and could not have been more thankful for timing. The way my heart skipped a beat in pure relief had me feel my knees grow slack. The teeth that Derek bared, told me to get the hell out before I was turned into a gnawing bone for the two to bond over. So I moved. I was not going to become the peace meal between to vicious dogs out for the leader position in the back. The alpha against the beta. I was glad that I had nothing to do with this other than being a pawn, but not a disposable one since Derek had after all come to my rescue. Or maybe he just came for the alpha? How would I know?

---

Sneaking into my room in the middle of the night, on a school day, with my father asleep a room over was scary. Sneaking into my room in the middle of a night, on a school day, with my father sleeping a room over, with Derek on tow was terrifying. To say that the encounter with the alpha had gone badly was an understatement. It could not have gone any worse. Derek had gotten the snotty puppy beat out of him, and I was not about to admit that that thrilled me even in the slightest. So I just shut up and let the older male have his moment of weakness without me kicking him while he lay down. Wait. Was I getting soft? I was not going to ponder over that and instead took my usual seat on my chair.

Sure Derek had taken a few hits, but the bruised ribs were nothing in comparison to his pride. That had probably taken the most damage. Knowing that Derek had had the snotty wolf pup beat the hell out of him by a relative was a little thrilling to me, but there was no way that I was going to say it out loud. If I did it would be my blood in the walls and not the nurse's. And it would not have been the alpha who had done it but Derek Hale. Derek freaking Hale and his creepy wolf powers. That had me shudder a little, but I was not sure if it was in slight fear, respect or something really inappropriate for the situation. Probably option three because I was that awkward a human being. I slid a little further into my seat and looked down at my hands, folded over my stomach.

"Stop." The sudden burst from the werewolf on my bed had me freeze for a second before I realized what had been wrong and why Derek had decided to growl at me like that. I had been bouncing one of my legs up and down. "If you'd know what it was like to be human and get to see another day after having faced the odds of ending in a vicious dog's claws with bad luck, you'd be high on adrenaline as well." I shot at him, making sure to rub in that he would not know what I was talking about at all. Because, from what I had gathered, Derek had always been a werewolf. And I could just see it. Brooding, serious, mysterious Derek Hale turning into a little pup when the moon shone bright. Not that he could turn fully. Not from what Scott had told me he had found out from the same supernatural killing machine in my room right now. But as I had always been told: It's the thought that counts.

I was getting bored as the adrenaline seemed from every corner of my body, and sitting in complete silence was not exactly my favorite occupation. I was not sure if Derek could feel it or if he just decided that he had nursed his bruised ego for long enough now. Either way he moved from his seat on the bed and went to stand in front of me, strong hands holding onto the arm rests of the chair, his body leaned in close to mine, and I didn't have a chance to control the blush that came burning onto my cheeks from my neck when I noticed. To say that I was a little uncomfortable as our eyes met was an understatement. Having someone this close was not something I was used to, no matter how many times Derek had been close to me in any occasion. It made me feel a little uneasy as I still hadn't quite mastered to read the little quirks of changes in his expression when it turned from cold and threatening to something else I had no description for yet. And I was not in a rush.

Whether it was Derek being this close to me or the fact that he was just staring at me that made me uneasy was impossible to tell. I could feel my back, before relaxed and slack, now tense and alert. I swallowed hard as the moment seemed to drag on forever. They always seemed to do when all I saw or felt was Derek's eyes on me. Then came whatever Derek had in store for me. It was usually a snack or something else threatening. So the feeling of his lips against mine had my heart skip a few beats and my eyes shut tight. In pure reflex I had leaned as far back as I could come and the rest of my body had tensed up. As the moment seeped into my mind my body began to relax and I fell into the gesture of kindness from the other. If this was an apology for using me as bait I was not going to accept it, but I was not going to let it go to waste either.

There was no doubt that my hands found their way to Derek's neck where one planted itself down his shoulder blade and the other gripping at the short hairs at the back of his head. There was no way that he was going anywhere right now and if I could help it, the rest of the night. Because what the gesture did to me was enough to have me lose my mind. If I had not already lost it that was. In a desperate attempt to make sure that Derek could not run, I pulled him even closer, leaning into the kiss this time. Properly feeling it. The hand on my hip did it for me. Either Derek was tired like he was wasted or he was just feeling it as badly as I was, because he allowed me to stand and guide him to my bed where he was shoved down, back first. Myself second.

My back ached at the feeling of a hand on my hip as I hovered in all four over him, jumping into another desperate kiss. This was going to stay between the two of us and there was no way that we were going to talk about it again, because, despite a feeling of desperation for it, there was nothing in it than adrenaline and to much time spent with one another in silence. There was no need to get my hopes up. Besides, I had Lydia to chase after. Lately I just hadn't been in the mood for it. I had been a little more interested in playing with the wild dogs in the forest rather than chasing house clean poodles. Especially one specific wild dog. Not that I was going to admit it to myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
I should be maimed and killed for taking this long. I should be shot and hung, have my guts ripped out and cooked into stew. I have NO explanation whatsoever. I have been procrastinating like I was trying to win a world record in procrastination. So - please do shoot me, kill me, do something! I feel like a jerk! But... I still hope you all enjoyed this update and I will never ever ever ever ever ever EVER let that much time pass by again. EVER. (Someone hold me to that promise x...x)