If You Love Me, Let Me Go

Chapter 3

As the school year progressed, Gerard and I, actually became really good friends. I don't remember how exactly we became friends, but all I know is that he was there when I needed someone the most and he was a dependable friend.

Back then, Gerard was a gentleman. He would listen to my random bitch rants, give me a hug when he knew I needed one, and he was all around a great friend. Hell he even carried my messenger bag everyday for me.

On random days, he would walk me to my locker or walk me to class. If he didn't see me when I got off the bus or walked to school, he would always look for me. One time, I didn't go to school all day, he spent the first two class hours looking for me until Melissa had to tell him I wasn't there that day. So he just carried on with the day with his head down low. Melissa told me he kind of looked lost whenever I wasn't at school.

Gerard would spend the lunch period with me. As always carrying my messenger bag, ask how my day was going, and always try to keep a smile on my face. I guess you could say this friendship could go on beyond more than friends. I knew how to keep him happy and he knew how to keep me happy. We told each other everything.

I remember this one day it was a tragic day. I remember getting off the bus, walking into the cold, hoping it doesn't rain before I hit the school. Gerard noticed something was up.

"Evelyn, what's wrong?" he asked looking concerned. I ignored him and continued to walk across the school yard.

"You can tell me." he tries again to get me to talk. I just looked at him with tears in my eyes to go look for Melissa. She knew instantly want was wrong and had to go get Kota.

Kota ran up to me and gave me hug. When I went to return her hug, I instantly broke down into tears. I didn't know why I cried here at school, when I could have cried on the bus or at home. That was when Gerard ever first seen me cry. He tried to get me way from Kota to try and soothe me but Melissa kept telling him to back off.

"Dude what the fuck?" he asked getting all pissy to the fact my two best friends won't let him go anywhere near me.

"Eve, do you want us to tell him?" Melissa asks giving me a sympathetic look.

"No I'll tell him." I said sniffling, wiping away the tears and letting go of Kota. "My great grandma passed away this morning and I feel like complete utter shit."

"Why and I'm sorry about your loss." Gerard said giving me a sympathetic look.

"Because I'm a shitty ass granddaughter that wouldn't go see her in the fucking hospital!" I shouted at him making him cringe. "I didn't want to remember her like that. I don't want the image of her laying in that fucking hospital bed looking helpless and giving up on life." I finished with tears threating to fall down again.

"Man I would feel like shit too." he said looking at me. That was when I finally broke down.

"What the fuck man!" Kota yelled at him. "You don't fucking say that to someone who just lost a family member!" She and Melissa ran towards me to engulf me into another hug.

"Evelyn I'm sorry." Gerard said trying to join the group hug.

"No. Fuck you Gerard!" was all I said to him for the rest of the day.

I knew this whole friendship thing with Gerard wouldn't last for long. I guess shit happens for a reason. Before my fourth hour, I saw Gerard standing at my locker.

"Eve, I'm sorry." he says trying to give me a hug.

"Fuck your apologies!" I yelled pushing him away. "And get your shit out of my locker!" I said throwing his books and other belongings on the floor. Before I could finish throwing his shit out of my locker, my name gets called over the intercom.