Status: New Story! Updating Regularly

Minnesota Girl

Rod's Hickory Pit

“Sadie, this is the last box.” Sheena announced while toting a brown box to the moving van.

We had just finished cleaning out my grandmother's house to move her into her senior living facility, like the doctor had advised. I was actually surprised at how much shit the old woman had in her house. It took us nearly a month to sort and box up everything to get it ready for the move. I was feeling a little bit better about the whole thing after realizing that Alzheimer's isn't a death sentence and that this is probably the best thing for her. I hadn't found a job due to me focusing on my grandmother but that's not to say I wasn't a little distracted. Billie Joe had been on my mind constantly. I realized that he was actually a really nice guy and I found myself thinking about him more often than I'd like to admit. I couldn't explain it but for some unknown reason I couldn't stop thinking about him and it was beginning to freak me out. This is Billie Joe, the guy that pissed in front of me and insinuated that I was a whore. The guy who cost me my fucking job! I am not attracted to him...am I? No, of course not. That's ridiculous, absurd, it can't happen. Can it? My racing thoughts were brought to a halt by a loud horn.

“Sadie, c'mon I have a date tonight!” Sheena yelled from the moving truck.

I blinked a couple of times and got off the stoop I was sitting on and glanced back at the house I had grown so use to over the years and sighed. It was bittersweet to leave it but in my heart I knew it had to be done. As scared as I was to leave something behind that had once been so prominent in my life, I had to move on. With that, I climbed into the passenger's side and shut the door with a slam.

~***~

“I still can't believe Billie Joe got you fired!” Sheena exclaimed while picking out her clothes.

I rolled my eyes and continued flipping through a magazine. “Well believe it because he did.” I answered. Sheena sighed as she primped in the mirror.

“He is really sweet once you're around him a while.” She commented. I nodded slightly.

She wasn't telling me anything I hadn't already thought about in the past month. Sheena knew that Billie Joe had taken me to the hospital, but I left out the part about me breaking down in front of him. It was bad enough that Billie Joe himself had been there. “It doesn't matter how cute he is I still lost my job because of him.” I replied. It wasn't until Sheena spun around with a giant grin on her face that I realized that I had just admitted that Billie Joe was cute ... out loud.

“Sadie Keaton, you just admitted he was cute!” Sheena exclaimed.

I mentally slapped myself. “No, I was just reinstating what you said.” I argued, trying to save myself from my careless word choice. She eyed me suspiciously.

“Something happened that you're not telling me.” She stated.

I shook my head and continued looking at the page I had been for the past five minutes. “Nothing happened.” I defended while flipping the page. Sheena snorted.

“Okay, don't tell me.” She said nonchalantly.

I raised my eyebrows. “But I will find out.” She vowed. I rolled my eyes again. “That's what you think.” I mumbled with a smirk.

~***~

For two days. Two fucking long days I went out and applied to almost every shop, restaurant, and clothing store within a ten mile radius of the apartment. Every single one of them declined my application and apparently Mr. Johnson had marked me ineligible for rehire on my record which basically fucked me in the ass and made it nearly impossible to get a new job. Not only that, but Sheena only works three days a week if that so I was becoming desperate. I had just spent an entire hour looking through wanted ads in the newspaper when there was a loud knock at the door. It surprised me because of the fact that neither Sheena nor I am expecting anybody. Normally in these situations, I'd make Sheena answer the door, but she was in the shower so I had no choice. As I got up from the couch, there was another loud knock. I quickened my pace and was surprised at just who was behind the closed door. “Billie Joe?” I said in a surprised tone. I can’t say he was the last person I expected to see, but he was close to it.

“Hey, Sadie.” He smiled.

I felt butterflies swarm inside my stomach. Where the hell did that come from? I politely forced a smile. “Hey, uh Billie Joe.” I repeated. ‘God, Sadie you already said his name you idiot!’ I cursed in my head. He smiled again and chuckled.

“Hi, Sadie.” He said while gently pushing the door open and inviting himself in.

I frowned and closed the door behind me. “Sure, c’mon in.” I mumbled, noticing that he had already made himself at home on the couch. “What are you doing here?” I asked while moving the pile of newspaper off the couch and sitting down with plenty of space between us. My hands felt clammy and I couldn't think of one logically reason why.

“Are you still looking for a job?” Billie Joe asked while leaning back against the couch.

I nodded and eyed him suspiciously. “Yes. Why?” He smiled and sat up.

“Well, I felt really bad about you losing your job and everything so I got you one.” He beamed.

My mouth dropped open and I stared at him in disbelief. “You did?” I questioned. He nodded.

“Have you ever been to Rod’s Hickory Pit?” I shook my head.

“It’s this barbecue joint my mom works at. You’d basically be waiting tables.” He informed me.
My heart sank and I had to force myself not to frown. I’m back to being a waitress. Great. I didn't want to seem ungrateful and piss on Billie Joe’s act of kindness, so I smiled. “Well, uh thanks. That’s really sweet of you.” I said, trying not to sound disappointed. Billie Joe nodded.

“I can uh, I can take you if you want. Show you where it is, ya know?” He said while awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.

I shook my head. “No, that’s okay. I don’t want to put you out.” I said while wringing my hands in my lap. Billie Joe chuckled.

“I've got some time to kill. It’s no problem.” He assured me while offering a little smile.

I felt my cheeks redden and stood up quickly. “Just let me tell Sheena I’m leaving.” I said while trying to hide my face with my hair. ‘Pull yourself together, Sadie! Stop acting like such a girl!’ I berated in my mind while quietly walking into the bathroom where the water was still running in the shower. “Sheena, I’m going out, okay?” I said quickly, hoping she wouldn't ask questions.

“Where are you going?” She asked.

My shoulders slumped. I knew it wouldn't be easy. “Uh, Billie Joe got me a job and is going to show me where it is.” I mentioned quickly. Sheena poked her shampoo covered head out of shower and gasped.

“He what!?” She exclaimed

I looked over my shoulder to find him still in the living room, unaware of Sheena’s outburst. I hastily shut the door. “He got me a job where his mom works.” I mumbled. Sheena’s eyes widened.

“Oh my God he likes you.” She squealed. I shook my head. “No, he doesn't. He got me a fucking job. That's it.” I stated. Sheena rolled her eyes. “Sadie, you’re in such denial it’s almost comical. Why else would he go to the trouble to get you a job with his mother if he didn't have some kind of intention?” She questioned while disappearing behind the curtain.

“I don’t know.” I mumbled while looking down at the bathroom tile. I was already hesitant about the whole thing and Sheena was just making it worse. We both fell silent.

“Better get out there before loverboy decides to leave.” She teased. I rolled my eyes. “He’s not my loverboy.” I pointed out while crossing my arms. Sheena peeked from behind the curtain again.

“Yet.” She taunted with a wink. I rolled my eyes and threw her towel at her. “I’ll see you later.” I said while shutting the bathroom door and making my way back to the living room. If I wasn't over thinking his act of kindness then I definitely was now all thanks to Sheena.

~***~

Sheena’s words kept replaying in my head like a bad Vanilla Ice song. Constantly ringing in my ears without rest and it was making me nervous. For most of the ride over to the restaurant we were silent, only making small talk over the weather and recent heat wave plaguing Happy Valley. God, this was awkward. I watched as we came to a stop at a red light. Billie Joe was in the process of lighting a joint when he flicked his gaze at mine.

“Want some?” He asked while taking a hit and offering to me.

I nodded sheepishly and inhaled deeply. I needed this a month ago. I passed it back as he we started moving again.

“Are things any better with your grandmother?” He questioned while taking another hit.

I shrugged. “We moved her out of her house and into that senior home on Cherrybrook about a week ago. Her memory comes and goes I guess.” I said while taking the joint from his hand and inhaling again. He nodded and ran his free hand through his raven hair.

“I hadn’t seen you with Sheena at any of the parties recently. I was beginning to think I’d scared you off, Minnesota Girl.” He joked.

He kinda caught me off guard with the mentioning of his nickname for me and I blushed again while handing him the remainder of the joint.

“You sure do blush a lot.” He mumbled before taking one last hit and flicking the joint out the window.

That too, caused my cheeks to redden. Not long after that we pulled up in front of a building with a sign that read Rod’s Hickory Pit in crimson letters. I felt my stomach in my throat as we got out of the car and began walking towards the entrance. Even the pot we had just smoked hadn't calmed my nerves completely. Since I had never been here, I didn't know what to expect or if I’d be accepted. After all, it wasn't me who got the job in the first place. The intense smell of cooked meat permeated my nose and honestly, it kind of nauseated me. I tried to hide my disgust as we walked through the door. Inside were rows of booths and tables with people eating and chatting away. Billie Joe grabbed my arm gently and lead me through the back and into the kitchen. It appeared to be empty at the moment until a woman with short light blonde hair came in from the back exit.

“Mom!” Billie Joe shouted while calling her over to us.She smiled and when she got close enough. reached out and kissed his face.

“Mom, this is Sadie. Sadie, this is my mom.” He introduced. I smiled and shook her hand. “Hi.” I said hesitantly. She smiled warmly and turned to Billie Joe.

“Billie Joe, you didn't tell me she was cute.” She whispered. This time it was Billie Joe who turned red. I bit my lip and tried to pretend I hadn't heard her.

“Not now, mother.” Billie Joe mumbled. She smiled and patted his back.

“So, you’re the famous Sadie I've been hearing about.” She beamed.

I frowned. “The famous Sadie?” I questioned while I stole a glance at Billie Joe, who looked like he’d rather have swallowed a nail then to be hearing this conversation. She nodded.

“Billie Joe speaks highly of you.” She revealed to me.

Billie Joe groaned and pointed his mother in the direction of the exit. “I think someone’s calling for you, mom. You should really get going.” He said, emphasizing on the going part. She grinned and raised her hands in surrender.

“I get it, I get it. I’m embarrassing you.” She said while walking towards the swinging door.

“It was nice to meet you Sadie, I’ll see you soon.” She said before waving and leaving us alone in the kitchen. Billie Joe sighed and shook his head.

“I’m sorry, she tends to exaggerate.” He defended.

I grinned and watched as the red color slowly vanished from his cheeks. “It’s okay. She’s nice.” I replied. Billie Joe snorted.

“Yeah, nice.” He mumbled while leading me back to where the people and other employees were.
There was a long bar in the middle of the room, an older man that couldn't be more than seventy, sat behind it. Billie Joe smiled and hoisted himself up on the bar.

“How ya doing, Pete?” He greeted.

The old man looked up from the newspaper he was reading and a snarled a little. “Eh, the wife took my dirty magazine’s again.” He grumbled. My eyes widened and Billie Joe began to laugh.

“I told you not to keep them in the bathroom.” He chided playfully. Pete sighed and rolled his eyes.

“Now see here, you can still ‘whip it out’ wherever the hell you want to since you don’t have a wife breathing down your neck. The bathroom is the only place I've got.” He exclaimed.

I giggled and desperately tried to hide it. Pete shifted in his seat and looked over Billie Joe’s shoulder. “Whose this pretty little thing you've got hiding behind you, Billie Joe?” He asked. I blushed and looked down at my feet.

“Oh, this is Sadie. She’ll be working here soon.” He informed him. Pete nodded and leaned in to whisper to him.

“Is she one of your ‘friends with benefits?’ He asked lowly. Billie Joe shook his head.

“What? No, are you crazy?” He exclaimed.

I stopped giggling and grew silent. I couldn't believe I was actually feeling hurt by that. Why do I even care? Pete raised his eyebrows.

“Well, damn it was just a question.” He grumbled. Billie Joe looked at me briefly and hopped down off the bar.

“I’ll see ya around, Pete. He said while patting him on the shoulder. “Maybe I’ll send you a magazine through Sadie one day.” He said with a wink.

Pete huffed and picked up his newspaper. “Oh, you’re a saint.” He said sarcastically before starting to read again. Billie Joe smirked and turned to me.

“You ready to go? He questioned.

I shrugged. “Yeah, I guess.” I answered. I was still kind of hurt by what he had said to Pete. Not that I was wanting to actually be his ‘friend with benefits’ but it wouldn't have killed him to be a little more subtle about it. As soon as we got in the car, my ‘wall of silence’ went back up. Billie Joe sighed while turning the ignition.

“Don’t worry about what Pete said, he doesn't even know what ‘friends with benefits’ means.” He said as he put the car in reverse and started to back out.

I nodded. “Okay.” I said quietly. I obviously wasn't about to admit to him that what he had said hurt me but I couldn't seem to find a way to hide it yet.

~***~
It was close to ten o’clock when we pulled into the apartment complex. Billie Joe had tried to fill the silence in the car multiple times but we never got very far in a conversation. He shut off the ignition and we sat there in silence for a moment. I
picked at hole in my flannel shirt and sighed quietly. “Thanks again for the job. I really need it.” I confessed. Billie Joe nodded.

“You’re welcome.” He answered. We sat in silence once more and when I reached for the door handle he stopped me.

“Hey, Minnesota Girl.” He whispered.

I turned around. “Yeah?” He smiled and I realized I had answered to his nickname. “There’s this party down by Christie Road tomorrow night. You should come.” He told me. I bit the inside of my jaw.

“We’d... I’d like it if you came.” He admitted. I fought the urge to smile. “What time?” I whispered. His eyes lit up and he grinned.

“Around 11:00.” He answered.

I smiled and nodded. “I’ll be there.” I vowed. There was a tiny part of me that was saying no, but I completely ignored it for once and agreed. Billie Joe smiled again and I swear I saw him blush a little. “Alright, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said while getting out of his car. He nodded and smiled at me once more.

“I’ll be looking for you.” He said while giving me a wink.

For the one hundredth time today, I turned beet red and turned to hide my face. I started walking to the steps and I could have swore I heard him chuckling. It was as if he was saying these things just so I would blush. The cocky little fucker.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello lovelies! Sorry for the long wait but here it is! I just wanted to say that all of the feed back has been great and it's really surprised me at how much you guys are liking it! Please continue to let me know your thoughts. :)

Comment&Subscribe!

xoxo