Love Behind Lies

Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I only sat in my room for a little bit longer before I got ready for bed. I was excited to sleep in tomorrow and maybe see Brent. Since my family usually went to church on Sunday’s, Saturday’s are my sleep in days. Today being Saturday also meant that I still had the rest of the weekend to enjoy before I had to go to school on Monday.
The next morning my phone ringing woke me up. I was still tired but reluctantly answered after a few rings.
“Hello?” I asked, still sounding tired.
“Cat, you okay?” Brent’s voice was more alert than mine.
“Yeah, why?”
“Jake disappeared last night so I wanted to make sure that you were okay.”
“What happened?”
“I don’t know what happened. He was supposed to meet me for breakfast. When he didn’t show up, I went to his apartment and the door was unlocked so I went inside. He was nowhere to be seen.”
“Where do you think he is? Did he leave a note?” My voice was getting louder and I was sitting up in bed now.
“Yeah, but I don’t recognize the handwriting. The note says, ‘I need to talk to Catherine. I need something from her.’ And then there is a smiley face.” Brent sounded angry.
I knew exactly who the note was from. Sam wants a kiss from me and he knew that he would get to me through Brent. Smart move.
“Cat? You still there?”
“What? Yeah, sorry. Just thinking.”
“About what?”
“The note.”
“You know who it’s from, don’t you?”
“Yeah, it’s from Sam. He wants that damn kiss.”
“That was the only person I could think of too.”
“What do we do?”
“Let’s just see how the day goes and then you can go to school on Monday and work out everything there.” I shuddered at the thought of seeing Sam at school on Monday. I was not looking forwards to that at all.
“But you won’t be there. What if something happens to me or to Margaret and if –?”
“Cat, relax. You will be fine. You will always have the ring and just stay close to your friends.” I didn’t respond. He was right. I needed to relax. Brent must have known that my mind was still whirling.
“I’m coming over right now,” Brent said without warning.
“Ok. Give me fifteen minutes to get ready.”
“Ok. Everything is going to be fine. Don’t worry. Trust me, Cat.”
“I trust you.” Then the phone was silent as I hung up. I set my phone back on my nightstand and flopped back onto my bed. Ugh. This is not what I had in mind for my Saturday morning. I didn’t know what I was going to do. What if this didn’t work out and something happened to my family? Or my dad? I laid there on my bed and thought all of this through. I then decided that I should probably start getting ready.
When I got to my bedroom door the leave, I hesitated. I didn’t want to see anyone right now and I just wanted to be comforted by Brent. I finally opened the door and looked down the hallway. There was no one in sight. I quickly ran down the hallway to my bathroom. I turned up my music and proceeded to get ready.
I was almost finished when there was a knock on my door. I opened it a little bit; enough to see that Margaret was standing outside my bathroom.
“Good morning. You’re up early,” Margaret said.
“Yeah, I guess,” I replied still tired.
“What are you doing?”
“Getting ready,” I replied and Margaret rolled her eyes.
“Well obviously. Getting ready for what?”
“Something,” I said, not wanting to go into detail, especially with a boy in the equation.
“Care to elaborate?”
“No not really. Just go back to bed,” I said, with a wave of my hand.
“There must be a boy involved,” Margaret stated.
I blushed. “I don’t want to explain this right now. Maybe later.”
“How old is he?” She demanded.
“Freshman in college?”
“Fine. We will talk about this later, young lady.”
“Okay, mom,” I joked, laughing a little. I was finally ready and I made my way downstairs to wait for Brent to show up. I grabbed a piece of toast, from dinner last night, which was sitting on the counter. It was really quiet downstairs. No one was up yet, well except Margaret. I looked out the window, trying to pass time, when I saw Brent walking up the sidewalk. My heart leaped in my chest and I ran to the door. I was excited to see him.
I opened the door before he knocked and he looked surprised, but only for a moment. The he shut the door and walked further into my house and kissed me quickly on the cheek.
“Hey,” he said.
“Hi,” I replied, sounding more awake.
“How did you sleep last night? No nightmares?”
“Yeah, no nightmares, thank God. How about you?”
“I slept okay. I missed you a lot. I wish I could have just brought you home with me,” Brent said. I was pretty sure I was blushing; I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks. “Well what do you want to do today?” Brent asked, smiling.
“I don’t care. Whatever you want to do.”
“Do you want to go out somewhere or stick around here?”
“William would have to come with us if we left, and he isn’t up yet. So, let’s just hang out here for a while.”
“Okay. Sounds good to me.”
“We can go up to my room. I think that my sister is the only one awake.”
Brent nodded and looked content with whatever. I led him up to my room and shut the door quietly. I didn’t want to walk anyone up.
As soon as I shut the door he grabbed me from behind and pulled me against him. I turned around and wrapped my arms around his neck as he buried his face in my neck, breathing in my scent.
“What was that for?” I asked, pulling away.
“I’m so sorry. I feel so bad about all of this.”
I stared at him a quick moment before I spoke. “Don’t worry. It’s okay. I think we should make a deal.” I grabbed his hand and pulling him to the end of my bed. “We won’t feel bad about anything that happens to each other from here on out. No matter how serious it is, we won’t get mad or feel bad about what happened. Deal?”
He smiled a little bit. “Deal,” he said, and then put his arm around my shoulder. “So I think we should get to know each other a little bit more.”
“I think that’s a good idea. You can start by asking me a question,” I replied.
“Okay. Well I know you go to Central High School here in Evansville. I know you are a junior. So what grades are your siblings in?”
“Oscar and Thomas are obviously in 11th grade, Margaret is a senior, and William is a freshman in college. What about you?”
“I go to a small community college right outside the cities. People have rarely even heard of it, it’s that small. I am a freshman in college, so we are only a couple years apart.” Brent paused, trying to think of another question. “Okay. When is your birthday?”
“March 17th. You?” I asked with curiosity.
“July 29th.”
“You’re lucky. I wish my birthday was in the summer.”
“Yeah I like having it in the summer…”

We talked for a long time and we really go to know each other. I thought that it was a little weird that no one had come into my room this morning, so I thought I would go and look around.
“Hey, I’ll be right back. I am going to see if anyone is up yet,” I told Brent and let go of his hand.
“Okay. Hurry back.” Brent smiled at me before I left the room.
I laughed as I left and opened the door to go downstairs. My mom was working at her desk and Oscar and Thomas were watching T.V.
“Good morning sunshine,” my mom said as I walked in the room. Oscar and Thomas turned their heads towards me.
“Good morning,” I replied. “Where is everyone else?”
“Margaret is still sleeping as far as I know and I don’t know where William is. I think he might be in his room.” Thomas replied for Mom.
“Okay. Thanks. I think that William and I are going to go downtown for the afternoon,” I informed my mom.
“Okay. Have fun!”
I walked up the stairs and knocked on William’s door.
“Come in,” William’s voice sounded tired. I opened the door. “Hey,” William said.
“Hey,” I replied as I stepped further into the room.
“What do you need?”
“Just wondering when you were going to be ready to go, because Brent and I want to go into town.”
“Oh. Well thanks for telling me you were going somewhere and not just leaving. Give me about fifteen minutes and I’ll be ready to go. Do you want me to knock on your door when I’m ready?”
“Sure. Oh, and he’s already here.”
“What? Brent’s here?”
“Yeah, he has been since early this morning.” It was almost noon now.
“Oh okay! Well I will hurry then.
“Okay, thanks.” I shut the door and walked to my room. Brent was still sitting on my bed but he had my year book from last year sitting out.
“Oh, hey,” he said, setting the book aside.
“So, William is going to be ready to go soon. We can leave and then go into town if you want.”
“Yeah! That sounds like fun. It will keep our minds off of things for a while too.” He stood up and walked towards me. Brent wrapped me up in a big hug and then we started talking again until William was ready.
“I have a question,” I told Brent.
“Yeah?” Brent was curious.
“When you were talking with Sam, before he brought me home, he said that Loren wanted me to stay ‘very safe.’ Do you know why?”
Brent hesitated. It almost seemed that Brent knew the answer, but he didn’t want me to know. “Evan and I have been thinking about that for a while and we sort of have an idea. We don’t want to tell you yet because we aren’t sure of the real reason.” It almost seemed like he was lying again.
“Okay,” I replied, still wondering what it could mean and if he was lying or not. Brent looked away from me, so I stood up and walked to the door. I had heard a slight knock and I knew that William was ready to go. Brent stood up and followed me towards the door.