Love Behind Lies

Chapter 17

Chapter 17

I sat on the couch for a few minutes as the boys talked in the kitchen. A few minutes later Brent came over.
“You okay, Cat?” Brent asked. He took my chin in his hand and forced me to look at him. I nodded my head and then laid down. I was suddenly tired and knew it was going to get bust here soon when the rest of my family got home. Brent didn’t try to keep me awake after I laid down. He seemed pretty content to let me sleep as we walked back to the kitchen, probably to talk to Sam again.

I slept hard this time and when I woke up Thomas was tapping me.
“What are you doing,” I asked.
“I don’t know. I was seeing if you were awake.”
“Obviously I wasn’t. What time is it?”
“Around 10:00 PM.”
“Where is everyone?”
“Brent and Sam are trying to distract mom from the kitchen. I think that they want to get her out of the house, maybe grocery shopping or something. William, Margaret, and Oscar are working on homework, and I’m here with you.”
“Oh.” Thomas had always been there for me. He was much nicer than Oscar and wasn’t always asking me questions about my personal life. He would occasionally, but not as much as Oscar did.
I started to get up off the couch, but suddenly Brent was next to Thomas and wanted me to stay sleeping.
“Let me get up,” I told Brent.
“No, you need your rest,” Brent replied.
“I just slept. Let me get up!” I began sitting up, but another hand rested on my shoulder.
“Lay down.” Sam’s voice was strong and convincing.
“Why?” I asked, giving in.
“You really need to sleep because of the time difference between here and Italy,” Brent explained, but I didn’t buy it.
“Seriously.”
“Okay, seriously, he should be telling us something, but he won’t tell us until we are in Italy,” Sam said staring at me as I looked at Brent who didn’t make eye contact. Now it is obvious Brent was keeping something from everyone.
“What does that have to do with me getting up,” I asked, trying to convince everyone Brent’s secret wasn’t bothering me.
“It doesn’t. We just don’t want you in the kitchen. It’s a bit overwhelming with all the maps and everything.”
“Brent, what’s going on really?” I grabbed his hand so that he would really look at me.
“I can’t tell you, Cat,” Brent said. He wasn’t smiling and I could tell it pained him to tell me that.
I looked at Brent a second longer and then turned to Thomas.
“Yes, Catherine. I know what’s going on with dad.” Thomas answered my question before I even asked it.
“Oh.” I relaxed. Brent laid down on the couch next to me.
“I’m sorry Cat. I really am. I wish so bad that I could tell you, you have no idea.”
“Okay Brent.”
“I can’t help but worry about you.”
I had nothing else to say, but Brent kissed my neck and took a deep breath.
“Brent! I need you in here!” Sam sounded mad.
“I’m coming,” Brent yelled to Sam. “Sorry Cat.” Brent got up and left so I closed my eyes and tried to fall asleep.

When I woke up shortly after, it was even darker and Thomas was sleeping in the chair next to me. I felt like such a slug. As soon as I moved, Thomas jerked awake.
“Katie, you okay,” Thomas asked.
“Yeah Thomas, thanks,” I replied.
“No problem.”
Brent walked over to the couch with Sam close behind.
“How are you doing Cat,” Brent asked.
“I’m fine guys. Stop worrying about me.”
“Sorry,” they all mumbled to me.
Brent sat down next to me and put his arm around me.
“Any new information,” Thomas asked.
“Yeah, actually. We learned the general area of where your dad might be and we figured out how to keep everyone safe,” Sam said.
“Alright,” I said.
“Look Cat, you don’t need to worry. We have everything under control. The only thing you have to do is to listen and be smart,” Brent said.
“We might actually bring someone else with us,” Sam said.
“Who,” I asked.
“Thomas, if that’s okay with you,” Sam said, smiling.
“Really,” I asked excitedly.
“Yeah,” Brent said.
“Sweet!” I jumped off the couch and gave my brother a hug.
“So I can come,” Thomas asked.
“Of course,” I replied.
“Let’s get back to business though,” Brent told us.
“Okay,” Sam said. He sat on the couch leaving space for me and Thomas. Brent was going to stand and talk to us about the plan.
“We are leaving tomorrow morning. Sam and I will pick the two of you up in the morning and then our flight will take off late afternoon. Now we are going to arrive in Italy very early the next day with the time differences. That’s really all I needed to tell you. There will be more information we can talk about when we are on the airplane and when we get to the hotel. We are staying at the St. Regis Rome Hotel, if anyone cares to know that.” Brent paused. “Now Cat, you need to stay safe because we are playing into the hands of a kidnapper. He captured your dad, so he could kidnap you. That’s why Evan wants me to keep you safe. Your dad knows we are coming, you specifically, and earlier this week his kidnapper told him he was going to come for you.” Brent paused again. “My job is to keep the kidnapper away from you.”
“Okay.” I was trying to wrap my head around this new information. “So my dad’s kidnapper wants me, and he is going to come and find me. That’s why I have to stay safe,” I clarified. So this was new, but I still felt like there was something else Brent was keeping from me.
“Yes. Loren is sort of mad at your dad for bringing him into the situation, but that doesn’t really matter anymore.”
“Thanks Brent.” I understand now and I had no more questions. “So you’re going to keep me safe right?” I asked Brent.
“Of course,” Brent replied looking at the floor, before quickly changing the subject. “Okay, then. I think that is it for now, Thomas you can leave. Sam, I don’t care what you do, but I’m going to leave. I have to get ready for tomorrow. Goodnight Cat.” Brent bent down and kissed my lips gently and left without saying another word. Thomas left then too.
“You okay Catherine,” Sam asked.
“Yeah, I think so,” I replied. I leaned towards him and put my head on his shoulder. He put his arm around me and pulled me closer.
“I’m sorry about everything, mostly about your dad and getting you into this. I know I didn’t have much to do with it, but I still feel bad for you.”
“It is okay, Sam. Please, don’t worry about it.”
“Okay, I won’t. I promise.” Sam’s around me tightened and I never felt safer. I liked this Sam, his sweet side.
“Can we go up to your room and talk please,” Sam asked.
“Yeah, sure,” I replied.
We both stood up and walked up the stairs. When we got to my room I sat on my desk chair and Sam stood by my window.
“Are you nervous for tomorrow,” Sam asked me.
“No, I don’t think so,” I said.
“Well good, because there’s nothing for you to be worried about.”
“Are you Sam?”
“Nervous? No, not really. I think that Brent has everything under control.”
It was silent for a while and Sam walked over to me and pulled me towards him. He hugged me and then we walked over towards my window.
“Do you know what I would like before we go to Italy,” Sam asked. I barely had to think.
“Yes,” I mumbled. He wanted a kiss, but I wasn’t going to give him one. I felt bad already for kissing him earlier in the week and I don’t think I could tell Brent that I kissed Sam again. Brent trusted Sam. If he didn’t, Brent wouldn’t have left Sam at my house alone.
“What’s wrong,” Sam asked.
“I can’t do that to Brent,” I said.
“Brent doesn’t have to know.”
“It doesn’t matter, Sam. I don’t want to kiss you.”
“Katie, I know how much you liked it the first time, stop lying to me, please.”
“I can’t do it, Sam.” I tried to step away, but Sam pulled me closer to him.
“Katie, tell me the truth. Who do you like kissing more?” Sam had his hands on either side of my face. He was looking deep into my eyes.
“You.” I paused. “But that doesn’t matter.”
“Why not?” Sam asked, throwing his arms in the air. “I deserve you more. Please, be mine. You can do better than him.”
“No.”
“Katie, you’re lying to yourself again.”
“No, I’m not!” Sam gave me a questioning look. “Okay fine, maybe a little,” I confessed and gave Sam a small smile.
“I’ll take that. Now, will you please kiss me.”
“No.”
“Why not? You know how much you like it.”
“That doesn’t matter. I belong to Brent, not you.” This conversation was going in circles.
“Brent doesn’t have to know, Katie.” Sam ensured me. I gave up. I pulled myself away from Sam and walked towards my desk.
Sam grabbed my arm, and put it around his neck and pulled me closer to him. His arms tightened around me, and I could barely move.
“Struggling is going to get you nowhere. I would’ve thought you’d learned that by now. If you kiss me, I’ll let you go.”
“I don’t want to kiss you.”
“Stop lying.” Sam tightened his arms again and closed his eyes. I could barely breathe.
I had no choice but to kiss him. He was right; I did want to kiss him, very badly and that was why I was so reluctant to give in. I stopped struggling, ready to make the worst choice I could.
Sam opened his eyes. “Ready,” he asked, smiling.
“No,” I replied.
Sam’s arms around me loosened enough for me to reach on my toes and touch my lips to his. I barely touched his lips, but his hand moved up my back and to my neck, forcing me closer to him. There was no going back now and I put my other arm around his neck. My stomach was in butterflies and I didn’t want to stop, but I had to. As much as I wanted to have him hold me until I fell asleep and his me until I stopped breathing, that’s just not how it works. This had to end, before Brent finds out and ends it the hard way.
I started to back away, but he followed me. I tried to push Sam away with my hands but he was way too strong and didn’t move a bit. I let go with one of my hands, leaving his neck and now resting at my side. I was trying to make him stop kissing me. He grabbed my hand and put it on his chest, and then he pulled me closer to him again. His touch was soft and I could barely feel him touching me; his movements were subtle, but still rough enough for me to listen.
I had to be done kissing him now, so I punched him in the stomach, and he stopped kissing me instantly. This situation was bad and this shouldn’t be happening.
“What’s wrong,” Sam asked, out of breath.
“I was trying to stop and you wouldn’t let me, Sam,” I replied.
“I wasn’t done.”
“But, Sam. We can’t do this. This isn’t how it’s supposed to work.”
“I know. I’m sorry. Come back here.” Sam and I were on opposite side of my room.
“No,” I replied.
“Katie, please, get back here, or else I won’t let your brother come with us to Italy.”
I slowly walked over to Sam. I was scared he was going to grab me and start kissing me again.
“I’m not going to do anything.” Sam sounded too innocent. I kept walking and when I got to him, he put his arms out. “All I want is a hug Kate. Let me hold you.” Butterflies invaded my stomach as I finally reached him and his arms wrapped around my body. He kissed me gently on my forehead. “Was is really that bad,” Sam asked me.
“No, but I’m still mad,” I replied.
“I’m sorry Katie, you’re right. I shouldn’t have made you kiss me when you’re so hung up with Brent. You are just so hard to resist. I want to kiss you and hold you whenever I see you.”
“Yeah, okay.”
“Can I at least kiss you on the cheek?”
“No! You can’t touch me,” I snapped.
“You can’t control that.”
“Yes. Yes I can.” I turned around and reached for the door, but Sam’s hand grabbed my shoulder and spun me around. “I told you not to--” Sam interrupted me. He pushed me up against my door and began kissing me again. I kissed him back for a short time before I realized what I was doing. I pushed as hard as I could on Sam’s chest and even tried moving me head, but Sam kept my head still with both of his hands.
I pushed again and this time Sam stopped, but his lips were still less than an inch from mine and I could feel his breath on my face.
“I told you--” Sam cut me off and began kissing me again. Sam wasn’t touching me but his arms were on either side of me body. I realized he was going to keep kissing me until I stopped talking and listened to what he had to say.
“Now, I’m going to ask you a question and I want you to answer it by nodding your head. That’s it.” I nodded my head. “Did you enjoy those kisses? Be honest.”
I nodded my head and Sam smiled. As Sam leaned against my door, over me, I slowly wrapped my arms around his wide chest and pulled myself up to him. He stood up and wrapped his arms around me as well making me feel safe and secure.
“Katie. I want you to be mine so bad.”
I had nothing to say to that. I didn’t know what I wanted anymore. “I have a request Sam.”
“Anything.”
“Don’t make me tell Brent.”
“I promise. He doesn’t have to know.”
“Okay.” I paused and stopped hugging Sam. “Sam, I’m scared.”
“About what? The trip?”
“Yeah, Brent’s keeping something from us.”
“I know, but it can’t be that bad. Right?”
“I hope not.”
“I’ll be here for you, Kate. I promise.”
“Okay, Sam.”
He kissed my forehead again. “Alright, I have to go Catherine.” Sam opened my bedroom door and we started walking to the front door.
“Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow.”
“Sounds good.”
“Goodnight, Sam.”
“Goodnight. Sleep tight. Text me if you need anything.” Sam smiled at me, and then closed the front door behind him, leaving me alone in my kitchen.
My mind was racing. I didn’t know what to do or how to think. I had never been in this situation and never dreamed of it either. Maybe I should ask Margaret, but she’s still out with her boy. I could talk to Thomas, but he won’t want to hear about my drama.
I was convinced that Brent was still hiding something and I know that Sam believes that too. I meant to ask Brent about it specifically, but he left in such I rush, I didn’t have a chance. Maybe Brent is just really nervous and he’s not hiding anything from us at all. I mean, what could he possibly be hiding?
I needed to go to bed. That’s the only way I was going to be able to shut my brain down and stop thinking. Tomorrow was going to be crazy too, so it was best that I went to bed anyway.