Love Behind Lies

Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

It wasn’t until Margaret knocked on my door that I remembered about what Nick, Nate, Sam, and Loren had told her the day before. I felt so bad for forgetting.
“Hey,” I said, letting Margaret know that she could come into my room.
“Hey,” she replied.
“How was your day?”
“It actually wasn’t that bad. The boys stopped me in the hallway and asked me why I left and I told them that I had to go to dinner. They seemed to believe me because they left me alone for the rest of the school day.”
“Well that’s good then.”
“Not exactly.”
“Why? What happened?”
“They came up to me at the end of the say and they told me that they were still mad at me for leaving them. I ignored them and left, but the whole way home I felt like I was being watched. It was really creepy and I think that they followed me home.”
“Yeah, that is kind of creepy. I am going on a walk tonight with William, so we will check everything out and make sure that everything is ok.”
“Ok. Thanks. Did you tell William about yesterday?”
“Yeah, he knew the boys, but not very well. Otherwise he had nothing else to say, really.”
“Okay. Thanks again. I’ll see you later.”
“Okay, bye.”
I didn’t want to tell anyone about what had happened between Sam and I the last two days. I guess it really didn’t seem important, and I was still trying to figure out the meaning behind everything anyways.
When Margaret opened the door to leave my room, she jumped because William was standing right outside the door. I guess my room will be very busy for a while. Margaret gave Will a questioning look and then left the room.
When William came in and shut the door, he looked angry.
“What?” I asked.
“Nothing, I just wanted to talk to you about Brent and everything,” he replied without sounding angry at all.
“Oh, ok, then. Ask away.”
“So, did you call them back this morning?”
“Yeah, I told them that I would do the job. We are meeting them at the same street at 9:00pm. Brent wants to talk to you be he is making you promise that Brent and I can be alone to talk for a little bit.”
“Yeah, that’s fine. Wait what?”
“I don’t know. I think that Brent likes me or something. He kept talking about how partners need to know each other pretty well before they can work together.”
“He must like you then. Well I’m not going to let him hurt you, but you can be alone with him. Only for a little while though.”
“Okay, thanks. Anyways, on our way home we need to check all around the house.”
“Why?” William sounded a little nervous.
“Margaret thinks that she was followed home by those four boys.
“Ok. That’s bad. I think that we should tell an adult.”
“NO!”
“Why?”
“Ok, well let’s just figure out some more information and then we can turn it over to the police if that’s what it comes to.”
“Fine.”
Then there was a knock at my door. I groaned because I knew it would be Thomas or Oscar, or both.
“Come in,” I said.
“Hi,” Thomas and Oscar said.
“Hi. Do you need something?”
“Yeah, we wanted to talk to you about the walk home.” Oscar said. Thomas just rolled his eyes. I could tell that Thomas didn’t want to talk about it, especially with Oscar in the room.
I looked at William. I haven’t told him about what happened, because it wasn’t that big of a deal. He looked at me, confused.
“Fine. Sit down,” I said.
They did as they were told.
“What’s going on?” William finally said.
“Katie didn’t tell you?” Oscar asked.
“Tell me about what?”
“What happened on the way home? She is hiding something from us. She won’t tell us where she was last night and we want to know why.”
“Ok. Just tell me what happened,” William demanded.
“Ok. So Thomas was walking behind Kate and me because he was talking to his friend. I was talking to Kate about our test today and –,” Oscar said, getting cut off.
“What. You were talking to Kate about a test you took today?” William asked, in disbelief. Oscar was only shocked for a few seconds and then finished the story finally. Thomas and I laughed.
“So, what is really going on, Kate?” Oscar asked.
“Nothing is going on. She is fine,” William cut in.
“Wait, you know something about this?” Oscar asked.
“Yeah, I do. Just leave her alone. I’m taking care of her. You ask her about it one more time and I will kill both of you,” William said, jokingly.
“Why can’t you just tell us?” Oscar asked.
“William is right. Let’s just leave her alone, like I told you,” Thomas said.
“She was told to only tell one person and that person was me, so like I said, leave her alone,” William said, sounding angry.
“Fine,” Oscar said. Then Oscar and Thomas got up and left the room. Now, just William and I were in the room.
“What was that?” I asked.
“We can’t tell them anything and they are never going to listen to you. They need to heat it from me,” William said.
“Well, what if they tell mom and I get caught anyway?”
“I will go tell them not to tell anyone about this conversation.”
“So, they want us at the corner at 9:00pm. We should leave at about 8:50pm and then we can check the house on our way back home.”
“Ok. Well I should probably get out of your room. I think that dinner is going to be ready soon too.”
“Ok, bye,” I said.
“Bye,” William said and left the room.
Five minutes later, dinner was ready and I left my room and went downstairs. There was something going on. Something didn’t feel right, but I couldn’t figure it out. As we sat down at the table, everyone was quiet. I looked at William, but he just shrugged. Maybe he felt like there was something wrong too…