Love Behind Lies

Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A few seconds later, there as another loud noise and Brent went over to the window. Brent rushed me to the opening and looked out to see that the ladder had been replaced.
“Ok. We can go down now. I want you to stay close when we go down the ladder, ok?” Brent asked.
“Yeah, okay,” I said, not so sure about the whole going down the ladder idea.
Brent started to climb down the ladder. He was always looking right at Sam. Probably to make sure that Sam wouldn’t do anything stupid. Now, I knew what Sam meant when he was talking to me earlier.
“Okay, Cat, you can come out now,” Brent said.
I looked out the window. It was a long way down to the ground, but I had to be safe. Brent was there right?
I started to climb down. I thought I was only about halfway when Brent said that I could step off the ladder. I must have been lost in my thoughts.
Brent grabbed my hand and started to walk over to Sam. His hand felt so right holding mine. I wanted to lean into him, just to feel more of him. Brent’s touch was sending my mind on a whirlwind. I felt like electricity was running through my hand and into my chest. My heart was beating so fast, I thought for sure I was going to pass out. How could Brent already have this kind of effect on me? I tried to ignore Brent’s touch, as much as I could, so I could really focus on what was going on around me.
Sam was ahead of where Brent and I were walking so Brent whispered some information into my ear. “Okay, so from now on there is nothing you need to say. If they ask you a question, answer it, but very carefully. You can tell them the truth, but tell them wisely. You don’t need to go into complete detail about everything. Just keep your stories vague. We don’t need them to know everything we are doing, obviously,” Brent said.
“What about the rest of my family? My window is wide open and the ladder is just sitting there. Anyone can get in,” I said.
“Your family should be fine. Loren didn’t say anything about them. I doubt he is thinking about them.”
I decided not to say anything more. Brent knew what he was doing and even though I basically just met him, I trusted him. I knew that he was going to keep my safe, and that I would be home safely soon.
After a few more minutes, we reached a clearing in the woods that I never knew was even there.
“Ah. Good. You brought the girl.” Loren’s voice seemed to come from the middle of nowhere.
“The girl’s name is Catherine,” Brent said.
“Oh, is that the name?” Loren laughed. I then realized that Loren’s voice was coming from behind me. “There are a lot of nicknames that can go along with that one. I am sure that is why your mom named you that.” He had his hand on my left shoulder, but I still couldn’t see him. I tried to shrug Loren’s hand off but he just held on tighter. I squeezed Brent’s hand and he looked at Loren over his shoulder.
“Stop,” Brent said with a stern voice.
“Oh, why? You don’t like it when I tough your girlfriend?” Loren slowly walked around me; his hand gently sliding down my shoulder, over my elbow, to my wrist and back to my shoulder, very slowly. His touch was sending shivers all over my body, making the hair stand up on the back of my neck. But Loren was having a different effect on me compared to Brent. Loren’s touch was scaring me, and I tried not to run away or wrap Brent’s arms around me. By now, Loren was standing right in front of me, his eyes boring into mine.
“She’s not my girlfriend. Just leave her alone. She has nothing to do with any of this!”
“She’s not your girlfriend…yet. Oh, and I believe she has everything to do with this. First, her sister doesn’t listen to us. Then her dad. Then you ask her to work for you. And now you are basically dating her. How does she not have anything to do with this?” Loren’s eyes never left mine, and I wasn’t going to look away first.
“My sister has nothing to do with anything,” I said through clenched teeth. I knew right after I said it that I shouldn’t have talked. Loren scowled quickly before his hand moved from my shoulder to my face and back very quickly. My cheek was now stinging.
“Don’t talk unless I ask you too!” Loren’s voice was deafening against the silence of the forest.
“You don’t need to slap her!” Brent was mad now.
“She is just too irresistible though,” Loren replied, his hand stroking my cheek. “Your face is so soft,” he whispered, sending more shivers down my spine. I back away from Loren’s touch, but he just laughed, and looked behind me at something.
“Yeah, I mean she is pretty cute. All I want to do is touch her,” another voice rang out. I tensed up at a felt another hand on my other shoulder, but I still couldn’t see who it was.
“Be quiet Nate. I think you’re scaring her,” another voice whispered.
I felt Brent’s hand tense up next to mine. My stomach was in butterflies once again, but for a totally different reason. I felt like I was going to throw up.
“Shut up Sam!” Brent yelled.
“Maybe you should be slapped too,” Sam replied, his voice flat.
“What do you want with her?” Brent asked, angrily.
“We just want to ask her some questions,” answered Sam.
“What if she doesn’t want to?” Brent asked.
“Then you don’t get to talk to Evan or see him for that matter. We might just keep him here with us. You need to talk to him about travel plans right?” Nick asked, smirking.
“I’m not leaving her side,” Brent responded, not answering Nick.
“That’s too bad, because neither are we. When you let go of her, we let go of her, and Nick will take you to Evan. It’ll work perfectly for everyone,” Loren said.
“But I really don’t mind my hands touching her,” Sam said from behind me. It was then that I realized that there were four hands touching me. Loren’s hand on one shoulder, Nate’s hand on the other, and Sam’s hands were wrapped around my waist, pulling me closer to him, his cool breath on my neck. Loren moved so that he was standing in front of Brent and me, his hand now cupping my neck, making me nervous.
“Just let go of her and we will figure things out from there. You can even talk to her for a few seconds before Nick takes you to Evan. You can talk to him for a couple minutes and then Nick will bring you back to her and you guys can go home.” Loren was very clear with what he wanted.
“I doubt that will actually work,” Brent said.
“It will as long as you listen, because if you don’t, we keep Kate,” Loren sounded so serious.
Brent’s hand tensed up one more time before he let go of my hand, stepping away. Brent must really trust Loren in a small way, to let me stay with him, alone. As soon as my hand was free, Loren and Nate removed their hands. Sam’s hands lingered around my waist, playing with the hem of my shirt, before his touch was completely absent. I could feel Sam standing right behind me still. It was like I wasn’t even there. He was basically standing on top of me. I was scared, but for some reason Sam’s body was a little bit comforting. The heat radiating off his chest was penetrating into my back, keeping me warm. Then I remember what the situation was and I removed all positive thoughts concerning Sam.
Nick, who was standing off in the distance earlier, grabbed Brent by the arm and started to pull him away.
“Wait,” Brent said.
“What?” Loren asked.
“You said I could talk to Kate for a little bit.”
“Oh, yes, you’re right. Nick let them talk.”
Nick let go of Brent and he walked over to me, giving me a hug. “No matter what happens tonight, I will always keep you safe.” Brent smiled at me. I knew Brent had feelings for me, I could tell by the way he was looking at me. He meant what he said, and it melted my heart. Had I actually found someone who wanted to protect me and keep me safe? I smiled back at Brent, trying to keep my mind on the issue at hand. “Try to answer the questions with simple answers and don’t get yourself hurt. I should be back to get you in fifteen minutes.” Brent was talking really fast. He must have been worried a little bit.
“Okay, and I trust you Brent,” I said. Brent looked at me one last night and then he left; still smiling to himself, and followed Nick into the darkness.
I turned around slowly, gulping loudly. How was I supposed to handle this on my own? Loren, Nate, and Sam were all watching me. Loren whispered something to them and they started to walk towards me, an evil smile plastered on their faces.